Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

then he gets two steam arms! score!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

brb, kickstarting diablo 3 and wow branded defibrillators

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have some skullcandy earbuds but only because i for some reason get an employee discount on them and i only use them when traveling which isn't that much anymore

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i probably will, actually. the wires are made of thsi soft plastic that's supposed to be all luxurious i guess, but just attracts dust like a goddamn dust thing that attracts it (dust)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i love that we have a government agency that does nothing but fund fuckin' crazy ideas.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so instead of simply reinventing the wheel, we're going to reinvent the wheel then shove it directly up our assholes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

shrink craft moms?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mister Snips posted:

i have a literal boner for bioshock infinite b/c its steampunk

it bolsters my hope that they haven't been shy about delaying it to actually make sure it's good.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

is spring-heel jack steampunk?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh hey, they put up a page with some stats

the categories with the highest success rates are music, theater, and dance

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian, I've been thinking and am fairly sure that this can be bootstrapped in such a way that that the site can fund its own development. You can focus (short-term) on electoral/political statistics, crowd-sourced from armchair wonks energized by the upcoming election. Use a basic wiki paired with something like gnu/pspp as a platform. Drupal might also be useful.

The main problem is spinning everything up fast enough to take advantage of the election. It may help to gamify the initial contributor experience with "achievements" or other digital tokens in order to encourage early-adopter contributions. These can be parlayed as status for when the full site goes live.

Meanwhile, you now have a system with living content that you can shop around to investors, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than a slick PPTX and a good elevator pitch.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

I am not going to spend countless hours fixing IE 6 bugs. That is just a waste of my time. They can trade in their horse buggy for something new.

Haven't you seen the statistics for broswer usage these days? I'll upload it to statpedia right now: http://statpedia.com/staging/week-2...wsers_stats.asp

You can also now do a search for browser stats within statpedia and it will pop up in the search

There are a lot of government and educational institutions that are locked down on Internet Explorer. You don't have to support IE6 (MS itself is trying to kill it off), but IE9 should at least be in there. It's actually fairly standards-compliant, nowadays.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

(You should already be scraping Pew et al., by the way.)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

t-t-t-t-these arent browser stats at all :stonk:

actually, they are.

you have to look between the pixels.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

Everyone keeps posting garbage. Way messed up. Just want to make nice things look ugly?

I don't want to be on these forums anymore. There are too many no good people. I don't need to be running around cleaning up other people's garbage.

The window I opened is rapidly closing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i guess it's just politics related stuff but i've seen a bunch of stats nerds nerding out about stats all over the place

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/09/17/romney-is-behind-and-the-debates-arent-likely-to-save-him/?tid=pm_business_pop

analysis of all previous presidential elections' polling results versus final outcomes

if you had a platform to centrally collect all that and some tools for working it, then that research could've been done on it

it really was a good opportunity, wasn't it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what is this posted:

hahahaha wanna lay down the odds that kickstarted got sued by some "reseller level" elevation dock buy in "backers"

what are you talking about, it's not today they introduced a number of changes to reinforce that Kickstarter isn’t a store — it’s a new way for creators and audiences to work together to make things.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Windows Update started throwing 0x8000FFFF a day ago, and now my machine is out of compliance with NAP, so my network access is limited. Luckily, I'd just sent the FY11 reports off to Mr. Henderson, so I was off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. I picked up the phone and called down the hall.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh no, not Ian. He wouldn't know what to do with me.

I hung up and waited five minutes, then put the call back into IT.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

"Hi Ian, this is Andrea in 219. My Windows Update is giving me errors, and now it says my connection is limited and I can't get anywhere. Can you come take a look?"

"Sure thing, I'll be there in a minute."

A few minutes later, Ian peeks his head around the corner. "Come on in, Ian".

Looks like he stopped by the Coke machine on the way in. "Hi, Andrea. So, you're having problems with your updates?"

I stand up and offer my chair to him. He places the Coke on the desk, sits down, and cracks his knuckles before popping the soda open. I watch as he minimizes my Internet Explorer window, which was open to a Google search for "tantric sex".

I walk over to shut the door, then bend over the desk, giving him a straight shot down my silky top. "How's things, Ian?"

His eyes turn and look straight down my shirt, then up to me. He gets a silly grin and stammers out, "Uh, oh, OK. Just fine". Then turns back to the computer.

Seconds pass.

"Ahh, its this dang KB928731. Microsoft Word 2007 update. This thing's been a real pain, but I should have you up in a jiff."

"Cool", I say, twirling my hair. I stand up and walk over to the window, resting my butt on the frame. Ian continues typing.

"Ian, don't you ever think about all these people in this big city? Going here and there.."

Ian's eyes stay on the screen, but his fingers are lifted, hovering over they keys, as if they are hanging breathless on my next words.

"Going to jobs they hate, returning home to families they're emotionally disconnected from."

Ian instinctively reaches in his pocket and pulls out his Bianca spray to freshen his breath.

A sinister tone takes over my voice. "Doing things they..shouldn't do?"

Silence.

"Put it in the hole, Ian."

(this is brilliant, btw. ~picks horsd'oeuvre off of porcelain serving dish, adjusts monocle~)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what is this posted:

snitches get stitches.py

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Seriously though, the whole Romney thing that's dominating the political world right right now is literally a debate about the interpretation of economic and demographic data.

If Statpedia had been positioned to take advantage...

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

So it goes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Guido van Possum posted:

if you donate there might still be time

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh poop, an idea

brb, gonna go kickstart a ᴍᴀᴄʜɪɴᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ᴛʀᴀᴠᴇʟ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ɪᴛsᴇʟғ

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

who wants to donate to my kickstarter, its for a dock u put in ur shower and u put ur ipad in and its waterproof

and also somehow transfers touches to the screen and you can use ur ipad

i just came up w/ that off the top of my head

original idea dont steal !

gallon ziploc freezer bags.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

i like how he's wasting time on kickstarter while the opportunity of a lifetime is just sailing right by

have an electoral map
have poll results

allow people to fit them together, e.g. show the electoral map based on THESE polls and THIS demographic shaping

there is no site currently offering this service

all that noise over #unskewedpolls? imagine that happening on statpedia

seriously, it's not hard to scrape political polling data from the web. combine that with the census, maybe some demographics from pew, then let people loose with an array of statistical tools.

kickstarter not even needed, he could have gotten funding from a superpac.

oh well.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

Hey JawnV6 can I pm you to get further information about how to implement this thing.

How do I get money from these superpac people you speak of?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

That is just not nice. I am not logging onto this thing again for a while. You people are a bunch of haters. I get plenty of positive feedback without having to listen to all your garbage. There has to be software communities with nicer people out there. I will find them.

So close to enlightenment.

So very close.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

we need to get ian in touch with losetheos guy they could make magic

no don't, we don't want a murder on our hands

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian, have you looked into getting interns from UCI? You might be able to get some CS students on a work-study thing to help you code this thing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

i'm going to petition congress to pass a law making it legal to kill anyone seen wearing this shirt

it's for their own good

but they're already dead inside

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

We must destroy Ian in order to save him.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

the job stats are actually not that bad - the decimation of the public sector is actually a big part of a lot of the job losses over the past 2 years

but nah nobody cares, in yospos or in the media

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

Then I need to figure out how to contact this Nate Silver guy.

Nate Silver got his start with baseball statistics. That's a potential "in" for you, there.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

the 2nd amendment is pretty clear on stereolithographical processes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microusb is garbage that can barfly do anything useful

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i like to think that ian has engaged in some self-reflection and is a better man for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Ian is the kwisatz haderach

he looks into that place which we dare not

• Locked thread