Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

WorkingPeer posted:

lol if u are content living anywhere with a population below 5 million people

chicago is okay, right? we at least have a competent transit system (for the usa) and a population density that's worth mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

so do you willingly have no social life or did it arise accidentally

A Social Life: in two parts.

PART I: wherein a train exists.
"Hello, friends. Let us drink much brown liquor."
"Okay!"
Everyone has a good time.

PART II: Wherein a car must be driven
"Hello friends. Let us drink much brown liquor."
"Okay, but we must bring Dead Inside Darwin with us. He is a terrible teetotaler but he wishes to be the designated driver."
Everyone has a terrible time because some horrendous spergoid has accompanied them.

~fin~

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nobody ever does this, and then they end up needing one of these after a few years. it's not a kickstarter but it's made by a company called quickstartaz so close enough right

http://interlockcup.com/

Isn't the embarrassment of "I'm a terrible person who can't judge when I shouldn't drive" part of the punishment

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol you bought a pebble

at least it's better than a Sarnsung Galaxy SmartWatch

but wear a real watch nerd

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BooLoo posted:

oh my god, that video. oh my god.

kill all nerds.

oh god why did i go back and watch it

i'm going to go see how well my macbook pro burns now, brb.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/115
a washing machine using arduino and raspberry pi to allow it to take bitcoins, without relying on dns, tcp/ip, or gsm

quote:

Christie Nel • 8 months ago
I've always wanted to own a coin laundromat and I've programmed a robot that dances for Bitcoins. Well done for putting the two together. Where are you guys shipping from, a shipping could obviously be a large chunk of money.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

also "bacon jam" :pwn:

there's a place near me that does this burger called the Juicy Lucy.

quote:

GRILLED JUICY LUCY
Slagel Family Farm Ground Beef, Red Onion-Bacon Marmalade, Butter Lettuce, Heirloom Tomato, House Baked Pretzel Bun, Duck Fat Frites
$14

it's really fukken good, esp. the onion-bacon marmalade

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

at least in the first three seasons Tobias was well meaning. stupid and delusional but trying to take care of his daughter and stuff. in s4 he's literally blowing off his family to live in a dumpster with a heroin addict rrrrgh

angry and getting emotionally involved with sitcoms itt

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i am involved with the so-called Maker Movement (i'm the quote-unquote CTO at a hackerspace) and even I know better than to go to maker faires

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I used to drink Stag

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

beardos

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i'm almost tempted to do this, we can't lose this valuable part of internet culture

also i'm going to say this is probably legit as they emailed the address they had on file from when i ordered the last POKEY THE PENGUIN! ! ! book.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Vicas posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1246820613/blood-sport-the-ultimate-in-immersive-gaming

I love all of this

(little warning: if you have a needle phobia don't watch the video but also do watch the video because lmao)

this is amazing. almost worth finding my wallet for.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i read the url and assume its some kind of haptic feedback system where you get sprayed with blood every time you do a thing. do not break my trust

I'll break your trust because the truth is even better

they send a blood bank rep to you and hook up the haptic feedback system in the controller to the blood drawing thing and it draws when you get shot

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Thesoro posted:

also denny's twitter

i don't know what you're on about, dennys social media marketing is amazing

http://blog.dennys.com

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Risks and challenges

rude remarks and threats.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

i dont even see what video conferencing adds unless you go all out with telepresence and an expensive room.

I recently sat through an interview where part of it was me in a not so expensive room talking to someone over a teleconference setup

I did not like it, I'd just as soon use a speakerphone

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but then how would they discriminate against your age and race evaluate your culture fit?

I'd presume that the five other people who interviewed me in person during that 3.5 hr interview would be able to do that. at least I'd hope.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

with how quickly this went from 0 to goal to a million, they would have had trouble getting stretch goals in place in time. I don't know if kickstarter lets you pre-set them to get exposed at a certain dollar mark or something.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

kickstarter but with hot dish

ill start the wiki

i mean go to the store and get tater tots

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

thanks for 40 seconds of credits on your 120 second trailer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255122491/ryo-adapter-never-plug-in-your-usb-the-wrong-way-a

reversible usb cord adapter

save 30 minutes a year!!!! (if you bought one for every device you might plug in and you waste like 6 seconds a day turning usb sticks around)

quote:

What does ryo tech make of the USB 3.1 type C connector?
This new standard is on our radar and we think it’s a great thing. However there is a lot of uncertainty as to whether it will be popularized and how long that might take.... The USB 3.1 standard, while brilliant, will break compatibility with existing USB devices and is bound to cause a bit of outrage.

We are excited about the USB 3.1 standard too - because it is a whole lot more than just a USB jack. However it could take years before we see this technology in all our personal devices and until then, the ryo adapter and kushi are there to somewhat bridge the gap.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

descent owned tho

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

these guys are completely boned

they are obviously doing all the assembly themselves, personally, because it's all done in america. and they got overfunded by 700%. so now they have to find a way to assemble 8x as many boards as they expected

also lol at rocking aluminum over any floor surface other than concrete. people will fuckin ruin their floors with this

yeah this

one of the few things I've kickstarted was a bicycle bell, and it ended up shipping 6 months behind schedule because they crushed their goal by like tenfold.

the company making the bell itself (the round metal part that goes ding when you hit it) didn't have much trouble delivering, but the kickstartering company that took that and the spring parts and the thing that hits the bell to go ding and screwed them together had to spend a good amount of time developing an assembly line to get the stuff ready to go.

e: I would have said they've managed to catch up after the initial rush but I just checked and welp they're on back order again

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2015

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it is a drat good bell tho

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

THREE

HUNDRED

DOLLARS

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah and I want to say I've used an outlet at some point that didn't even have screws, it just had a hole you put a bare non-stranded supply wire into and it would lock it in place with no metal bits exposed

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol gawker, but http://gizmodo.com/one-of-indiegogos-biggest-successes-is-getting-sued-for-1699188819

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

bear simulator, maybe

are we talking about

because he's definitely still active and cranking out great games like Desert Golf

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lollin irl

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

lol at this comment though

quote:

I just wonder if you have ever talked to a marketer around your branding. Or really, said it out loud to anyone else. There is literally no way to say it without it sounding like "dude's dick." "Hey, you want some dude stick" is gonna get you a funny look from some. "Man, I'm chapped, I could really use some dude stick all up in here"

vOv posted:

how has nobody pointed out that 'dude stick' and 'dude's dick' sound almost identical

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

omg that's amazing. I wonder how much of it depends on fiddling with the scope's scales and timing and how much is just straight sound plotting

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

im going to have to vote 5 as my thread in is this pic, however im not going to like it

We threw your vote into the pile.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it is impossible to calculate 15% of a bill in your head

yes

therefore tip 20%

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

because then you have to run your TV, which uses more power?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

refleks posted:

yeah its pretty cool. they also did the New York City Transit Authority Graphics Standards Manual as their first project

http://thestandardsmanual.com/

the standards manual is awesome, one of the few kickstartered things in my apartment

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it's worth mentioning that esr held a bunch of shares of VA Linux at ipo and if he wasn't a stupid moron full of stupider idealism he would have been rich but instead rode that poo poo to worthlessness

Sweevo posted:

the only good book about unix is the unix haters handbook

:agreed: especially the chapters that are still relevant (sendmail and X)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

that skarp thing sounds great, I'll buy it when it's a mainstream product which is never going to happen because I'm pretty sure physics are standing in the way of generating enough energy to cut the hair on my face with only 3 VDC at barely an amp

my seven-series top of the line Braun has enough trouble

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

well if that's the case I reduced ntpd to a 5 line shell script please give me a bazillion dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ask him if he still likes birds on his head

• Locked thread