Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? I mean, I was actually joking. Jeezy Chreezy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4KO2eQeLJ8

The first minute here.

I am seriously disturbed by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

paint dry posted:

Um yes but do you know how many copies that game would sell? Three copies: you, me and the lead developer's mother.

Joking aside a lot of people feel like this but we are vastly, vastly outnumbered and we need to learn not to get our hopes up ever. The only way the mainstream games industry is going to move away from manshootin' is if every male under 23 suddenly drops dead.

It's not that it wouldn't sell, it's that it's a risk and publishers do not want to sponsor a risk.

If done right, you could easily make a game entirely based around being a hacker who never touches a gun. It really depends more on presentation.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

You mean why we don't have autonomous NPC's anymore? Ultima V had daily routines for NPCs back in 1988. The answer is of course "because video games are for teenagers that just want to kill poo poo". Designing the routines is also expensive especially in big games and doesn't show off well in screenshots and videos.

You could literally trace this descent into awful progression from around the time when EA bought Origins and the two last Ultima games came out awful and did not progress the industry like they wanted to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As long as they have enough variety, I can see it working.

But I just have a hard time seeing it actually work even if they have thousands of NPC's.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Playing Rorschach is going to be every geeks dream with this game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Woah, this got an 18-rating?

What does it do to carry that?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Peewi posted:

The PEGI 18 rating isn't the same as ESRB's AO. Plenty of popular games like Mass Effect and GTA are rated 18.

Oh right. I've been hanging around american forums for too long. :smith:

Kind of unusual to see European advertisement so early on and forgot it's not the American rating thing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

supermegaultra posted:

I like how the phone is mightier than the gun and stuff.

Considering phones these days are super-mega computers compared to 10 years ago fit into the palm of your hand, I think it's a pretty drat apt metaphor for "might" of the technological age.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > watch_dogs: I put on my dust trench coat and bandit-mask. I use an app to increase my erection.

Actually, we could fill this with Blood_ninja quotes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Theodyn posted:

So, uh, can you take off Aiden's stupid hat? This is important.

Yeah, you can download the trendy fedora & trenchcoat with t-shirt DLC.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Can I wear the fedora with the trivial fursuit shirt DLC instead?

No.

The fedora pack DLC is only available to be used with the Khaki shorts and tacky Hawaiian t-shirts addon DLC.

Fursuit shirt DLC is only compatible with fur-hats that also registers your home address with the FBI and automatically puts you on a list.

This does not extend to the Furhelmets with fedora DLC sold exclusively because of popular demand.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thank god.

I may need to upgrade my computer soon, evidently, those specs made my eyes flutter in disbelief for a moment.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Athenry posted:

I hate judging things like that from youtube videos, but yeah, the models and textures on that are noticeably worse than what they've been showing off.

That's how it looks like when we advance a generation.

Somehow reminds me of the difference between Force Unleashed for the PS3 and Wii.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ah, good. Now I can patiently wait until my days off this Christmas before upgrading my computer, so I can be at home when the parts arrive.

loving post-office, I swear.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

yourafagpleasedie posted:

It would have got the same cocksucking it got regardless, and we all know that. Delaying games at the last second is the new 'its a beta guys'

Wow, you are precious. :allears:

Don't stop posting, by all means.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All of those games feel like a kick to the nads for me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

I don't see why it matters. I'm really waiting for the day when people stop caring about whether their fake in-game self renders in 4k, and instead demand that studios focus on making the game itself better. AI characters with more than 4 behaviors or a greater range of things to do in open world games spring to mind.

I don't think gaming will ever care about that again outside of indie titles and unless you look back to the glory days of the 90's.

Well, there are some ways to break out of this bad habbit of the industry, but it still involves having small teams with decent budgets while other teams having overinflated budgets and produce really lovely glory spectacles that are intended to sell to the masses.

Child of Light is one such project that is supposed to benefit from the spectacle of this and Assassin's Creed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

That's the only thing I can think of, that Aiden can whip out a shotgun out of nowhere, so his coat is basically a mini-TARDIS. Glad to hear I can dress him up a bit, but I REALLY just wanna take off that drat hat.

The hat is really loving dumb. I think it'd be more in character to wear a fedora.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Amazing.

Dvlos posted:

Darkman?

Funny enough, what I was thinking. If I can roleplay this game as Darkman, maybe it won't be so bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I order this on uPlay for that Darkman outfit, can I unlock the game on Steam? I'm a bit confused as to how this works.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I also had fun with Prototype to a point, but I am a very slow player, so renting it out of the question for me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheSpiritFox posted:

Prototype 1 was an amazing Carnage simulator and I will hear no slights against it :colbert:

That is what it was, after all, until they lost the license and said "gently caress it, let's just put a different name on this game so our work wasn't wasted".

A really good idea, in my book.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
drat, that is on the mark what I got for christmas. :stare:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

Yeah the specs are ridiculous... I bet it's going to be the case where there are a few settings that really do gently caress all and you can just disable them and the game runs fine and looks the same.

I got an I7 quad Haswell and a 760 GTX so i'm not exactly worried. Just worried my computer will loving melt. They don't give a gently caress about optimization. And since when did 8 cores become a thing?

Because the last generation of consoles had only dual core, they never bothered developing games that exploited the rest of the cores you had if you bought multi-core processors for the last 10 years. Now with the new consoles, they are finally able to take advantage of all that hardware development that has happened since then.

And we'll probably be stuck with this for another 6 years, at least.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Can I get a source here? I'm plenty pumped for WD, sure, but the OG Prototype is easily one of my favorite games of all time. It's like the best Super-Hero simulator of all time and the garbage storyline can't even detract from running up a skyscraper to elbow dropping a tank in the same 5 seconds of gameplay.

I remember reading it in an article, somewhere, but a Google search doesn't turn up anything and it's been so many years, I don't remember where I saw that article.

Sorry man.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I just expect Assassin's Creed with GTA flavor.

I'd say depth, but GTA is not a very deep series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If the entire city of Watch Dogs was destructable, it would pretty much run any computer no matter how powerful to a halt.

See, all the graphical fidelity that games are showcasing is all a matter of "cheating". The polygon count on objects remains really small, it has since the turn of the century, but we've instead found ways to circumvent the amount of polygons our video cards have to render, which is why video games can look nicer than they really are. It's also why game still look like rear end once you start to turn off these windows dressings.

Something like destructable buildings would require following one of three ways of thinking:

1) Extremely expensive polygon shaping, where every building is designed to have their polygons come apart and it not looking like rear end as if someone started playing minecraft but with polygons and just threw some dynamite on your buildings. Would still tank your computer.

2) Cheaper rendering options that are better at displaying destructable environment, the problem with these options are that they are... Decent at doing terrain, albeit not very realistically, but it will look like the buildings are melting, and it will not only look like rear end, but can behave unpredictably and might even crash the application if under enough duress.

3) Predetermined explosions. This is used in a lot of action games like Call of Duty where the builds are set to explode in a certain patterns and fall with debris falling in exact positions all the time. Ultimately this will work the best, but it means you'd really be no better off than participating in some long cut-scene in terms of how you really blew up the building.

It would also be horribly expensive in terms of assets, since the art team wuld need to design, animate and predict every exploding building in the city.

There are other ways to get around destructible buildings, but we're talking much of the same cheating as we're using to make the game look nice to give the illusion of exploding buildings.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

\/ A. Don't have to be a chef to know if something tastes good B. Yes actually.

True, but you are kinda saying that the "chefs" need to add more salt when they realize more salt will just end up killing the taste of the steak.

I would be interested in hearing what you are working on, assuming you are not under an NDA.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You want better gameplay, right? In other words, sauce.

But making new sauce is risky, because it can taste either very awful or very good.

The problem is that the owner of the restaurant doesn't want to investigate new sauces. He just wants you to stick with the sauces you're already familiar with and perfect them, so that you can provide the best experience for the customers.

The same is true for the gaming industry, you won't find triple-A publishers risking investigating new gameplay features because it's fairly risky to do so and when you've got a few million dollars hunkered down on a project, a collosal failure is kinda unacceptable. Ubisoft kinda has the right idea with Child of Light, which is a smaller branch of Ubisoft working with a much smaller budget so that they can freely experiment in a way that a bigger budget title like watch_dogs can't do. It wouldn't entirely be wrong to say that watch_dogs is directly funding the experimentation with studios like the ones making Child of Light, in order to avoid becoming a stale, sterile company that gets stuck in a rut and can suddenly not sell games like they used to because the competition does it so much better.

Later, they are expecting these experiments to pay off by proving their worth and bringing elements that work into newer titles and dropping off ideas that fail.

Basically, what I am saying is that this is the wrong thread for innovative ideas, I am afraid. This is the thread for the stale risk-free title that will pave the way for new ideas.

e: I believe we have a game designing thread or game development thread, that'd be a good place to discuss with people in real know-how.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 23, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just want to play as Darkman, where do I have to buy it to play as Darkman?

Only on the uPlay Store or do you get that outfit from Steam too?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

So why call them spider bots?

Because that is what they look like? Just because it doesn't meet the biological definition of a spider doesn't mean people do not appropriate the term because it fits the design better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

They look like bugs. More like beetles.

A bug has to have 8 legs to look like a spider, at least to me. Otherwise it looks like any other bug besides a spider.

Okay. And I guess you get to call it a bug-bot. The rest of the world will continue to call it a spider because of its big butt.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

Was the use of the word/s platonic ideals necessary or is it just a six dollar word/phrase?

Big Butt means beetle. It's a god drat bug bot. Yes I will get hung up on semantics because I came out the the womb holding a mini tachikoma and a plug in the back of my head.

Okay butt.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

Takes one to know one, buddy.

I'm fairly certain it just takes a normal person to spot one.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

leidend posted:

At least I can't be nearly as disappointed in the city as I was with Infamous's Seattle since I don't know Chicago at all. If this thread didn't mention they don't have hills I wouldn't even know that.

For me, it's all American fantasyland anyway, since I'm from Europe.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that their excuse for spider-bot is "Aiden passes out and Ubisoft is Ubisoft so now you're a giant spider bot. This is probably an Animus thing."

I really seriously cannot even express how much I want this game to be somehow tied to Assassin's Creed, just so I can have another reason to tell Ubisoft to stop making video games forever.

I feel this anger is fairly misdirected at Ubisoft, when they at least produce fairly fun to play games and their CEO's aren't complete pieces of poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just want them to make one ninja game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

This is a good point, I guess. I just hope Watchdogs does not turn out to be Assassin's Creed in disguise. That's all.

Consider this one the first Assassin's Creed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Now they can alternate between watch dogs and Assassin's Creed!

Maybe they'll get a third franchise as well to juggle in the same vein so people won't get fed up with the same formulae every time, allowing them to try new things from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That has the potential to be really interesting, with some tweaking.

• Locked thread