Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm considering moving my auto insurance from Metromile to USAA (Metromile used to be much much cheaper, since I barely drive but since I moved into the rural exurbs I've been driving a lot more). One thing that I have to decide on is Limited or Full Tort. I understand the difference between them, but I really don't understand the.. rammification? I guess is the word. On line a lot of people suggest just getting Limited Tort to have a cheaper insurance premium, but a lot of Lawyers recommend Full Tort (which, of course they would, they want to be able to make money by using folks). That all leaves me in a bit of a lurch where I don't really know if it's a better idea to get Full or Limited Tort? This is in Pennsylvania, as I gather the Full/Limited thing is a quirk of a handful of states.

Its one of those things where if you really get hosed up, youll wish you had it. The cost usually isnt a ton more but the coverage is legit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hi liter posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (Didn't see a thread for this in the Dorkroom).

I'm starting my own video production business and recently dropped the money to get some nice production equipment. I would like to insure this equipment, but have seen a few different options. One is just renters insurance, which will cover my gear in my house (I believe) but won't cover damage/theft when I'm out working and using the stuff.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? I've found a few insurance companies that specialize in this, but their websites are ancient and I'm an idiot baby goon who doesn't understand the words and jargon they throw around.

The above poster is right. You're gonna want a business insurance policy since you're going to be using it for money. No big deal. Keep your renters insurance too!

qkkl posted:

What's a reasonable price to pay per month for health insurance with a deductible of $3,500?

That is such a can of worms dude. Contact your local navigator in your area. Healthcare.gov

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If. Big if, it is registered itd be possibly a minor violation, like minor speeding

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its there to ensure the insurance company will pay for you to pursue additional damages. Otherwise you're on your own and they arent going to pay. Remember your own insurance can pay medical not just theirs. Its no fault

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BirdOfPlay posted:

I guess I should've said that I'm in Pennsylvania. Here the law is that if you purchase limited tort and are the victim, then you are barred from seeking for non-economic or "pain and suffering" damages with few exceptions. I don't see how opting out should effect my rates, unless it's just because the law mandates a discount to push people into opting for limited tort.

Its not that you're getting a discount its that the full tort costs more since its more coverage.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some insurers care if you have excessive miles on it. Not all do, and Im pretty sure Travelers doesnt care.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IF you absolutely want to keep it, yeah I'd keep comp insurance on it. If you're going to be driving it when you're back home, you'll probably find it more cost effective to just keep the minimum liability on it. Some companies offer "Garaging" insurance, though I'm not sure GEICO does. Look into that by askin em.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fireside Nut posted:

If my spouse and I are picking up policies for 20 year term life insurance and stick with the bigger name companies, can you go wrong with one versus the other? Right now my thought is to use one of the insurance quote portals like on nerdwallet.com and go with the cheapest big name company. Is this a decent strategy for selecting term life products or do I need to dig a little deeper and truly get into the fine print on a company by company basis?

Thanks!

I mean do some rudimentary research on them first. Make sure there are no small clauses that say "X isn't covered" Or that a premium can increase. Term is generally an alright bet though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I have renters insurance but I don't think it has HO-208 endorsement. That's for like flooding from a sewer or drain backing up. I am paying like $150/6mo now, does anyone know roughly how much a HO-208 endorsement for like $10k or $5k would cost?

Probably like 8 bucks or so, if that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you feel you can easily replace thr car, then drop the coverage

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thanatosian posted:

She works for a non-profit and is under a lot of the same regulations that state employees are, so I'm not sure if that will be an option, but I'll have her ask.

Otherwise, just do the COBRA for a month and bridge that gap. It'll be hard to find comparable cheap enough insurance that provides the same coverage as the employer plan. Its doable, but hard to match premium she's used to.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I meant that I'm planning on going to just having liability and UM, since a $500 deductible on collision is 1/3 the total value of the car.

I keep forgetting to call USAA during the business day, so I'm hoping someone can answer this. My wife's grandfather was a Marine, is that enough to qualify? What sort of proof would we need?

Im actually not sure if you qualify. Id probably just call and ask.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can get event insurance but youd probably was business liability. General liability should be fine, but ask your agent if you need to have another sub heading or rider since people will be interacting with each other instead of alone (right?).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Great job increasing your coverage.

As for the car, you're gonna be out your deductible and they'll likely total it out. This is a huge disaster, so they will know whats up.
The renters is a bit tougher. This is definitely a flood. Even if the water was shown as coming from under the wall, they know thr primary cause is rising waters from outside the building. A flood. The only possible claim could be water back up of sewer and drain if you have that additional coverage or if thr damage was primarily wind or some such.

Its a tough one, and who knows they may make an exception, but i wouldnt grt my hopes up. Ive worked for several P&C companies and none would insure a home in Houston without mega underwriting. This is unfortunately why.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If its the same coverage i don't see why not

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bingo. Hes doing you a favor by not opening a claim. If you did, it would absolutely count against you in the future.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yes, absolutely. Your loss history is just that, it doesn't care if it's a hurricane or you smoking in bed. You're a higher risk.

Yes this. Itll still be a filed claim for $0

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dango Bango posted:

Let me rephrase my question then -- is personal lines automated enough where it wouldn't be addressed by an underwriter?

What wouldn't be addressed?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Id give them a call when underwriting is complete. That shouldn't be too much trouble since youre already in da club.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What is most likely on this is that thry either
A) did additional underwriting that found cause to cancel the policy like say a different protection class or hazard

Or

B) They sent some confirmation form that required a signature that you either missed or didnt get back to them signed for whateber reason.

Its likely not a big deal, but they definitely should know what happened. Often you do need to sign on some dotted line somewhere to truly lock it in.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

Talked to the agent himself and it turns out it was an error on their part, and my policy is reinstated/still in effect. :iiam:

Weird. Yeah make them re-issue you a policy saying that you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah its tough when its not an official storage place. It may be covered, but i wouldnt bank on it.