Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Cool, an SA insurance thread. I'm an insurance broker too, for large commercial energy risks: pipelines, rigs, powerplants, undersea wells, etc. I do some more generic stuff, but the weirder the policy the more fun I have placing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Brady posted:

This is probably a dumb question but as a renter with renter's insurance do I need to keep a record of receipts or make a list or take pictures of the stuff I own? What if there's a fire and I say my $1000 TV is worth $6000?

I remember this being the subject of some British cartoon that I watched when I was like 11, I think the main guy was a dentist. Random but that's what made me think of this.

Taking pictures is a good idea. Your renters policy is going to either pay a claim based on "actual cash value" or "replacement cost". An "actual cash value" policy will pay on whatever something is worth now, so a 5 year old plasma TV might get a few hundred. A "replacement cost" valuation will pay to replace with a like model. Insurance fraud is usually a crime in most places and people who get caught can see jail time.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

A good coverage to get is backup of sewers and drains. It's often like $15 a year, but if a neighbors toilet breaks and water damages your place, you're covered through your renters insurance (and her liability if she has it).

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The kind of insurance I do is very large energy risks like oil & gas wells, pipelines, petrochemical plants, and power companies. I'm finishing up a $1.4 billion policy that has about 20 insurance companies on it. I actually like my job most of the time.

EugeneJ posted:

When is the best time to purchase long-term care insurance if you have no major health problems? I've heard if you're not already enrolled by your 60s, you can't get coverage

I purchased LTC coverage in my mid thirties because the industry was changing the rules and getting rid of the unlimited coverage model. I'm not a health insurance expert by any stretch, but I'd guess mid-40s would make sense.

People who are younger need long-term disability coverage more than long-term care.

Speaking generally, for Auto, try to a combined single limit (CSL). a $350,000 CSL protects better than a $100k/$350k/$100k split limits.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The Jizzer posted:

I want to know more about this. I did a $15mm cyber liability policy that had three carriers stack limits and that was an ordeal. I can't fathom working with 20. What's the premium on something like that? Please tell me you get paid commissions. I had a friend that scored a trucking account that was $1.6mm in premium but her contract was salary only.

Quoted for truth. Mid to late 40's is the best time for LTC. Premiums spike at age 50. They become ridiculous at age 60. Technically you CAN get LTC up into your 70's but either you likely have some health condition that disqualifies you or your premiums are so high you should probably think about offing yourself if you break a hip.

A big shift in the industry is the availability of hybrid policies -- life insurance that has an amended Accelerated Benefit wording allowing you to disburse policy funds as if it was an LTC contract. This may obsolesce LTC as we know it.

I do a $1.2 billion excess liability tower that has over fifty markets on it. It's a nightmare. The property risks have both layers (stacked limits) and quota share participation where each market takes a percentage of the total limits. Premiums can, depending on limits, deductibles, and total insured values (TIV) can run between $5 and $15 million (what I've worked on). My employer get a fee, usually a healthy one, but a few accounts are on commission. I work on a ~$10M property risk that's full commission, but the large risks have commissions in the 7.5% to 12.5% range.

Here's a very scrubbed graphic of one type of property policy. Each colored block represents one insurance company. However, a couple are Lloyds slips so they'll have somewhere between 3 and 10 markets on each slip. So one block may really be 6 markets. Limits and deductibles are standard for this type of risk, but don't correspond to any actual client.

What makes these kinds of placements difficult, I think, is the differential terms. Some markets have sticking points about various coverage extension so one block may have an extension curtailed or not cover natural catastrophe hazards like named windstorm. We do our best to get concurrent terms, but it's not always possible.

One fun type of risk I work on is coverage for the anti-piracy security teams that operate in the Indian Ocean. Some London markets pay 30% commission on those risk.

If I bring in new business, I get a cut of that new business whether its fee or commission. I don't get anything on renewal income, but I do get a bonus.

If anyone really wants me to :spergin: out on large complex insurance placements, I can.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 28, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Jastiger posted:

This all sounds like a mega :spergin: thing to be honest, but its also mega important. All that big stuff that goes down has insurance implications across the board and it only makes sense that the larger the risk, the more each company wants to spread it out.

As big companies are buying higher and higher limits they start buying up all the available world-wide insurance which makes things interesting too. The biggest ones though, the BP's and the Exxon-Mobil's just self-insure (at least large chunks of their risks, if not everything). They have so much money they don't need insurance.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I just talked to him about it and he said since they'd cut him a check if that happen it'd basically be up to him if he wanted to compensate me for my losses, so if I was worried about it he'd write me up a lease or something if I needed it to get insurance.

So I'm going to look into it and see if it's worth buying, thanks.

Edit: Ok, Progressive is like $240-300 a year depending on what deductible I get. My yearly insurance will still be cheaper than I was paying just for my car last year but I need to think about this a bit.

Now for the deductible in this policy, that'll apply on any claim right? From like a roof leak or burst pipe that damages, say, my bed, all the way up to the house burning down and taking out everything I own?

Yes, it applies once to each claim. It's likely called "per occurrence" or "per accident" in your policy. Also, you want to ask if your policy is "actual cash value" or "replacement cost". Replacement cost will give you enough money to replace something that's damaged or destroyed. Actual Cash Value (ACV) will just give what an item is worth right now, so if it's old you'll get less money than you need to replace it. ACV valuated policies cost less in premium, but sometimes the difference is very small.

You should also see if the policy Progressive is quoting has a personal liability component. It's probably not super necessary unless you have guests in your room regularly and depending on how your landlord's homeowners is worded, that might cover third-party liability (i.e. other people getting hurt or having their stuff broken) in your room and/or landlord's house.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 1, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I've been recruited for the State Farm RPX program.

Any agents available to answer questions? I don't really even know what to ask.

This might be a stupid question, but do you have insurance industry experience?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If I stop getting auto insurance through my carrier for a few months between when my car lease expires and when I get a new car, does my new policy start as if I've never existed with that carrier? Or does my seniority continue when I get the new car?

I'm thinking about biking to work for 4-5 months when my lease expires next spring, and then I'll get a new car in the fall.

I've had successive cars with the same carrier (Geico) for many years, so I've never had a break in policies.

If waiting means my premiums increase, I'll get the new car right away.

It probably depends on the company, but they'll know that you've been with them before. If you have seven years of claims-free or low claims history with them a few month gap shouldn't mean much. You should call up Geico and ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m looking at a renter’s policy and the lady at my agent’s office did there’s a minimum of $125 per year premium in CO. Is that a thing? I never heard of that. I was going to request a lower than $60k property coverage since there’s no way we have that much stuff (yes, I’m going to add stuff up, get a ballpark, and go up from there a few thousand), but she said that $125 is the lowest premium anyway.

A lot of companies have minimum premiums; you should shop around and see if another company will be lower.