Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I bought a new Corolla last year, and pay $115 a month in car insurance. This is the first time I've had to deal with car insurance, and even though I really have no inkling if this is true, I feel like that's a lot to pay, even for a new car. I compared my current insurance provider (State Farm) with USAA and it was about the same. Then I looked at the breakdown of the cost and all the different coverages, and I really have no idea how much I should have for each. How should I determine the best balance between cost and coverage? Should I ask my insurance agent his opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

As a 100% healthy 30 year old, I pay $230 a month for catastrophic health insurance that has a $7,000 deductible. I'm an independent contractor, so I have to pay this myself. And I'm juuuust over the level of income to qualify for a subsidy. Thanks Obama :v:. Ok, now that we've gotten that out of the way, I've got a few questions.

1. Is this the best way for me to be doing this? It seems insane to be paying $3,000 a year for the right to only pay $7,000 on the off chance I have a bad accident.

2. I was looking at travel medical insurance recently. I might be traveling for a few months, since I work remotely. Should I cancel my expensive-rear end health insurance here for the months I'm abroad and just have some travel insurance during that time?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jastiger posted:

I'd seriously go shop on the marketplace some more. That seems a bit high for that high of a deductible. I don't know what the new plans look like this year, but...thats a lot without a subsidy. In my experience anyways.

Thanks. There's not much, though - a few plans by "Ambetter" and "Coventry", with similar deductibles. The cheapest of them is $208 vs the $230 I'm paying now.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Speaking of HSAs, I have an HSA I was contributing to when I was a contractor and had a HDHP. Now I'm employed and I have a PPO. So I can't contribute to this HSA any more?

Before you ask, yes, I emailed both my insurance company and my HR dept with this question, and just haven't gotten a response yet.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

drat. Just curious, what if I did? Could I get audited and fined by the IRS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How do I "optimize" my car insurance policy? I pay $160 a month in car insurance. Yes, it's in Florida, where insurance of any kind is insanely expensive. But I might be getting more coverage than I need, I just don't know enough to really customize my own policy and reduce coverage for what isn't necessary. How would I get started with this?