Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All DZ boxes come with KR foam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I don't thinnk the plastic starters do.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I checked, you are right, plastic starters have no KR foam.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Nor do the online/con-only megaboxes

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

MisterShine posted:

Nor do the online/con-only megaboxes

The mega army deals at least provide the option of including foam or not, at a £30 price difference (though with foam they are called "Premium Mega Army" deals). Change that to a £45 difference and you choose between a bag or aluminium case to suit. Excluding the point-specific army bundles and plastic starter boxes, other deals have the same available options. The only faction currently without these are Resistance, but that's not unexpected.

This is on the Hawk Wargames site. I'm not sure if it is any different at cons; they don't visit Australia as far as I'm aware.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

When I went to gencon last year it was like 300 bucks for a megaarmy, it came with a rule book for free, no foam. But when I was waffling on getting it or not because I wanted a second Desolator they knocked the cost of one off the price and told me to go grab one from warstore's booth.

Hawk is a solid company

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
How do I find out info on the Resistance? Their fluff, stats, etc. They're not in the main rulebook I just picked up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You need the new rulebook - Reconquest Phase One, they are in there with all the new units for all the races.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

FFoR has been updated with the Resistance stats and http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5207 gives a good rundown of the units themselves.

Really want to just pick up 2 Hellhogs, some Barrelbombers and some Cyclones

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Everyone seems to love the Hellhog all of a sudden...

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

It looks cool and is capable of wholesale murder

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I caved and bought the new starterset for 40GBP yesterday. How good is the pseudo-aircraft carrier?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The UCM drone thing? It's pretty scary.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Anything with Rare on it is so good they needed to limit the number you could have access to for balance.

SO yeah, get you a Ferrum

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
The plastic starter sets are up for 25 bucks on miniature market, it seems like an ok time to take the plunge.

e; The shaltari and PHR have a great look, are they good for starting out and running demo games?

tasty food fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 6, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that the plastic starters are hitting the shelves, prices on the resin starters are crashing down to about 5-10 bucks more. Hawk has said that they will move away from resin starters eventually. So your options are a $25 plastic starter or $30-$40 resin starter. Both are fantastic deals. That said, here's a comparison of the resin models vs plastic (stolen from some dudes blog).

The plastic ship is the one without a canopy. The quality is great, but the resin is still a bit better it both in terms of mold lines and detail:

But for $25? Can't really complain.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Oh wow, 25 bucks? That seems like a ridiculous deal, to be honest. Looking at those starters, and being unfamiliar with the game as a whole, about what percent of a normal game force do they represent?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hawk wants to get people into their game really easily. That's why the starter packages are plastic- because they cost less to produce for a slight decrease in detail. You can grab a resin starter set with the KR foam for about 50-70 bucks on ebay, but you can't beat $25 for the plastic starter pack. Normally the plastics sell for about $50 so that sale is a hot deal. The units are also core army units, so you will use almost all of them.

Starter packs get you ~500 pts, which is just enough to play small skirmish level games (skirmish games are 500-1000 points). No rulebook though. If I was getting into DZC right now I would either scalp a great deal off ebay, or grab a plastic starter pack, commander unit, rule book, and maybe 1 or 2 other units that look cool to you along with a transport:

-Plastic starter 25-50
-Rulebook 15-25
-Commander 15-20
-Extra transport 15-20
-Cool unit 15-20

$100-135 gets you a 700 point army you can play around with. Not the cheapest game, but its halway to a respectable 1500 point army. You'll use almost all the units too. Or you could get the two player starter set for $80, which has buildings, two 500 point armies, and the rulebook.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I take it they'll still be producing resin models? They really are pretty great overall and I'd like to get them at some point, even if I start with plastic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For sure. The resistance models are so tiny and full of detail they still haven't figured out how to make them in plastic. The resin is here to stay.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of the poster sheet map that comes in the starter set, so was thinking about buying each race starter, the rule book, templates and the cityscape pack separately. Is this silly?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man the resin Resistance starter didn't come with foam :(

Anyone painted their resistance yet? I'm brand new and have no idea how to paint them

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

The resin starters do come with command cards as well as foam, whereas the plastic ones do not, if that makes a difference to anyone looking at grabbing one.

Impatient as I am, waiting for the Resistance army deal to ship from Hawk, I grew ever-fonder of the Scourge. I caved and bought some. They're pretty sweet and I thought AU$60 was good value for the starter box. I grabbed a bunch of other things, because they're just incredibly cool.

The command deck in the starter box had 22 copies of one card, which is a hilariously bad (and funny) packing error. Has anyone had to contact Hawk Wargames regarding issues like this? I've emailed them regarding this issue and sent an email a week earlier asking for forum access approval (they do this manually), but haven't yet heard back from either.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Danoss posted:

The command deck in the starter box had 22 copies of one card, which is a hilariously bad (and funny) packing error. Has anyone had to contact Hawk Wargames regarding issues like this? I've emailed them regarding this issue and sent an email a week earlier asking for forum access approval (they do this manually), but haven't yet heard back from either.

I had to wait for a long time for forums access and a reply about missing bits in a Gladius blister as well, I eventually sent them a pm through their facebook page that managed to kick everything loose, try that.

GW-grade customer service, its not, but eventually everything got righted. One reply from Simon seemed to indicate that they had been really busy with conventions when my problem came up, perhaps the launch of so many new stuffs is having a similar effect now?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Maybe you lucked out. When my starter set had a couple of pieces with some casting defects they replied to my email same day and sent me out the parts within a week. I am in the UK though so it might be quicker for us.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

muggins posted:

Anyone painted their resistance yet? I'm brand new and have no idea how to paint them

Here's the formula from the studio that painted them:

"GW Mechanicus standard grey with Army painter uniform grey line highlights"

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Seems like a long shot, but does anyone in the central New Jersey area know a store that carries/plays this? Or, hell, any goons in that general area who play and would be willing to meet at a store one weekend?

I've seen some replay videos and it looks cool as hell, but I'm not quite sold enough to order a starter set. Looking to maybe try playing a small demo game or at least thumb through the rulebook a bit.

edit; Only an hour from both NY and Philly, so that isn't really too far if someone is in that region and would be down to teach.

thocan fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 10, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

I painted my tanks and have started on the Lifthawks, but I am a tremendous nerd and decided to paint them like old US tanks from the Second World War so I might not be the best reference. They did come out pretty well though, so I might post some pictures when I get home.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Not a good picture, not a great paint job, but ah well.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Tequila Ranger posted:

I had to wait for a long time for forums access and a reply about missing bits in a Gladius blister as well, I eventually sent them a pm through their facebook page that managed to kick everything loose, try that.

GW-grade customer service, its not, but eventually everything got righted. One reply from Simon seemed to indicate that they had been really busy with conventions when my problem came up, perhaps the launch of so many new stuffs is having a similar effect now?

Thanks for the tip! I managed to whip up a command card deck mixing those from 2 separate starter boxes. The other one only had a single missing card, so it was easy fixed once I knew what the deck composition was supposed to be.

I'm not in a hurry, now I have an accurate deck. It'd be nice to have a spare deck though, just in case. They probably are busy with new releases and perhaps some post Gen Con stuff, so I'm happy to give them a little slack.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ has the UCM/PHR/Scourge/Shaltari plastic starter sets for $24.20 and they are allowing pre-orders again ( "pre-order quantities 20+" ) so I guess I'm starting both a PHR and Shaltari army, ordered 2 sets of each and some command cards to get free shipping :homebrew:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a hell of a deal if you wanna get into the game on a budget. 2 sets of each will get you all the transports, troops, and core units you'll ever need.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just ordered a bunch more PHR. :getin:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Got my PHR plastic starter in the mail. The quality is outstanding, especially for the price. It's almost as good as resin and the extra bits are great for swapping between my existing models. One complaint are the infantry- the quality on the plastic infantry is pretty poor compared to the metal. I'd recommend grabbing separate metal infantry to go with the plastic starters.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just picked up the starter set and the Shaltari starter army too - one of my friends has already ordered his PHR starter army and rulebook before I've even opened the boxes. Really looking forward to painting up the various factions and getting some games in!

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Just waiting on one last Harbinger and I can build my full-on cavebreaker list.

How are other people's local metas reacting to the named commanders? GTA seems to be pretty fine with them existing and being used. The official forums seem pretty cranky about them being anything other than a just-for-fun thing

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

MisterShine posted:

Just waiting on one last Harbinger and I can build my full-on cavebreaker list.

How are other people's local metas reacting to the named commanders? GTA seems to be pretty fine with them existing and being used. The official forums seem pretty cranky about them being anything other than a just-for-fun thing

[TELL] Me about your Cavebreaker list.

I totally wanna do a scrabbling Scourage army, all walkers (almost) all the time, I've already got a Harbinger and a Stalker pack, and plenty of Prowlers and Intruders ofc.

In other news Miniature Market finally shipped my PHR and Shaltari starter sets I ordered literally over a month ago, I guess stock was really constrained. Not really upset at the delay, the price was incredible and I'm just about to move so I wont have time for them for a while anyway.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

HQ
300 - The Cavebreaker (Command)
56 - Minders w/Intruder(Scout)
56 - Minders w/Intruder(scout)

Standard
142 - Stalkers w/AA Harbinger (Stnd)
142 - Stalkers w/AA Harbinger (Stnd)

Troops
98 - 3x Warrior w/Invader

Troops
140 - Destroyers (Troops) w/Intruder
140 - Destroyers (Troops) w/Intruder

Scouts
52 - 4x Prowlers w/Intruder
205 - Ravagers w/AA Harbinger

Scouts

A Stalker/Prowler set may get repurposed into another set of ravagers or maybe even warriors. Depends on how I find the AA/troops.

Destroyers fly up and do Destroyer things while the slow-rear end warriors deal with back-field objectives or set up a fire point in the mid field depending on what the mission is about.

It is also known as a "good luck landing" kind of list

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So far I've been able to build the UCM and Scourge armies from the starter set and an additional PHR box. Everything was pretty easy to put together with a good level of detail. The PHR APCs were probably the biggest hassle to build though getting the racks on the Scourge dropships was an annoying process. The infantry models were all a bit flat, especially the PHR guys, but they're small enough it won't really matter. I still plan on going with PHR as my first real army, but I really like the UCM aesthetic so they probably won't be too far behind.

Tequila Ranger posted:

In other news Miniature Market finally shipped my PHR and Shaltari starter sets I ordered literally over a month ago, I guess stock was really constrained. Not really upset at the delay, the price was incredible and I'm just about to move so I wont have time for them for a while anyway.
My order shipped in the last couple of days too. Just in time for me to be out of town. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I've been taking a harder look at Eden's Dinosaur and have concluded its a pretty drat good option. Comparing it to a regular Desolator at CV5 for 90 points you're getting a 2+ Acc modifier on enemy shots, 8" more CR and replacing the Desolator gun with an e10 6 shot monster with Strafe @24". Plus re-rolls on initiative. He's not cheap, but if you were thinking of paying for a cv5 commander anyway I dont see why you wouldnt take him. e+2 CM are drat well worth it on their own

• Locked thread