Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
It seems the new Resistance stuff is really behind schedule. I ordered buses, storm wagons, resistance occupation vets, and free riders and only the vets and riders finally came today from War store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After painting my plastic PHR infantry, I take back what I said about them being decent. The level of detail is really poor and I now know why BULBASAUR encouraged people to get the metal ones. I might end up doing that down the line, but these'll work for now. However, the vehicles are excellent and the plastic starter kits are still great deals. The bad infantry shouldn't put anyone off of these things.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

It looks like the plastic starter armies went up in price?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

It looks like the plastic starter armies went up in price?

Still look to be 35 quid on the Hawk website.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Lobster God posted:

Still look to be 35 quid on the Hawk website.

They were twenty-something on miniature market last I had checked I thought and now they're up to $45 w/ the discount.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Prefect Six posted:

They were twenty-something on miniature market last I had checked I thought and now they're up to $45 w/ the discount.

I checked that a couple of weeks ago and saw the same thing. I think that was just a deal they ran to get people interested in the game and buy more product.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was a pre order discount, and a really great one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep. It was a pre-order special. Ebay has decent prices on the plastic starters right now though, so you can still pick one up for about 30-40 bucks.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Well crap, I thought that was just the plastic kit price. Ah well, still haven't got this UCM resin starter built I got off eBay at a really good price.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm looking at Dropzone Commander as my next game in the queue for when my buddy and I get bored of whatever we're playing. Can someone give me an idea of how much the game costs, realistically, to play with one faction to a degree that is average in scale but with enough minis to swap out for different strategies? I'm wondering now that I see they are making some of the minis in plastic instead of resin and metal if it could be a relatively inexpensive game.

Or if you'd prefer, where would you place DC on a scale from Mantic to Privateer Press to Games Workshop?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

50 something for a starter (or split the 2 player starter for 40 something each plus get rules and terrain) then another 100 bucks to grab some toys (an hq choice for medium and larger games, some fast transports and then some cool support toys of you choice) and you'll be golden for awhile.

It's about 15-25 bucks for a new unit, which are of course small pretty resin things. Cheaper than gw, more pricey than skirmish games because you'll eventually want to have a big 6x4 table of war.

Of course it's 10mm so it actually works really well scaled up in battle size, unlike the congested gw large scale battles.

I'd still just start with the starter (2 player is a great deal, if you're both interested in scourge and ucm) play it a bit to understand the rules then drop another ~100ish on things to improve what you're weak at.

If you just want to say gently caress it, 300 will get you a massive army capable at playing at huge points caps with stuff leftover

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MisterShine posted:

If you just want to say gently caress it, 300 will get you a massive army capable at playing at huge points caps with stuff leftover

There's the number I'm really looking for yea. I mean I wouldn't buy it all at once but 300 as a stopping point isn't too bad for a 4x6.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Well, they have them ready to go off the website: http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/simons-2500pt-scourge-army-deal

We usually play at 1500-1600 points, so your 300 bucks gets you that plus another 1000 points of wiggle room

I got my big box at gencon and they threw in a Rule book and a 2nd Desolator too

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hard sell untested though

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Well I had the opportunity to play a demo with the owner of the company, so you know, that was a pretty convincing sell right there

But its a drat fun game. I'd probably just go with the 2 player starter though. 80 bucks for rules, terrain and the UCM/Scourge starters and all the asociated counters and crap is a drat fine deal

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are the rules for factions in the core rulebook? I'm looking for a PHR rulebook but I see nothing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, they are in the main book. Except the Resistance who are in Reconquest: Phase 1.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, all the rules are in the core book, with some of the newer models being in the expansion book. But there's no army books like in warhammer or anything.

The army builder program also includes stat blocks for all the units, and is free

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Minature Market is having another massive sale on DZC starter sets- $35 each. There are a couple other items on sale including gun technicals.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/clearance/sales-bf/table-top-miniatures-bf.html?limit=80&p=5#/?_=1&filter.manufacturer=Hawk%20Wargames&page=1

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

BULBASAUR posted:

Minature Market is having another massive sale on DZC starter sets- $35 each. There are a couple other items on sale including gun technicals.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/clearance/sales-bf/table-top-miniatures-bf.html?limit=80&p=5#/?_=1&filter.manufacturer=Hawk%20Wargames&page=1

Aww PHR sold out already :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

Aww PHR sold out already :(

Shipping to the UK would be more than the product annoyingly.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grey Hunter posted:

Shipping to the UK would be more than the product annoyingly.

If the product were free, I'd be Ok with this...

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
So I finally ordered the rest of my theory craft of a Agile PHR army. I also have my Resistance starter set built(planned a 1500 army that is mostly EAA units). Now if I could only find someone to play...

At least the models look cool so building an urban diorama with them in nice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yo, they're doing another Dropzone Commander advent calendar thing and something interesting came up. Looks like they're getting around to designing the special characters from the Reconquest book. This is the Shaltari grav-tank dude:

All the other days have been dumb caption contests to win escape pods or whatever. I'm not going to bother posting those.

Edit:
I don't like double-posting so I guess I'll just update this post until the thread gets bumped.

Here's Cato's fancy Ferrum. Unlike the Shaltari commander, this model's only a cosmetic difference from the base version.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 12, 2014

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Looking forward to the annihilator

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's Foley's customized Hellhog:

Edit:

That tail gun :getin:

Edit 2:
Eden's Dinosaur?

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 20, 2014

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Our club shot our first battle report for DZC yesterday. Still learning the game for sure.

http://youtu.be/GN1eIyDL6kY

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's also this dude's fancy Alexander tank:

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Is Feral Resistance Orkz?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MisterShine posted:

Is Feral Resistance Orkz?

They are the closest thing by a bouncing scrap barrel bomb.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

*that can one-shot most buildings

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Both Resistance sides are pretty Orky in the scrap-metal-and-patch-jobs sense. The "sponsored" resistance just get to sprinkle in a few UCM troops as elites.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

My Christmas reinforcements have arrived! Now all I need to do is get everything assembled and preferably painted in time for Invasion 2015 in February!

I also need to figure out how to use PHR and build an army list that doesn't suck. ;)

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Hades until no more things

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

My Christmas reinforcements have arrived! Now all I need to do is get everything assembled and preferably painted in time for Invasion 2015 in February!

I also need to figure out how to use PHR and build an army list that doesn't suck. ;)

You just supplied me with an air arm for my scourge. Do you know how much of a mistake that was?

Are there any other goons planning on hitting Invasion in london? if we get one or two more, we could enter the team comp and get murdered by the Orbital Bombardment lot.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MisterShine posted:

Hades until no more things

Probably can't really afford to get a Hades plus Poseidon between now and Feb 7th!

But I really do want one, it's a large reason for going PHR in the first place!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

You just supplied me with an air arm for my scourge. Do you know how much of a mistake that was?

Are there any other goons planning on hitting Invasion in london? if we get one or two more, we could enter the team comp and get murdered by the Orbital Bombardment lot.

Mistake? Nah. I has Athena's which will guarantee my victories on account of being beautiful. That is how the game works, right?

On which note we should definitely for a team, our averaged score will allow us to get a lock on the bottom of the table! :derp:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
As a matter of fact, I might very well be in London for Invasion 2015!

Need to finish painting my glorious spacetrain.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I am debating on going. I haven't played anything more than than 600 points(and haven't fully memorized the rules) and my phr army is so far away from the standard that I am not sure if it would even work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Is anyone here a tournament veteran? I'm trying to figure out how exact I need to be with representing weapon options on my units.

If I want to field a Triton A2 dropship without the the machine gun and/or missile upgrades, will anyone (mainly the organisers) care that the model has them on?

• Locked thread