Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
By the way, for anyone planning on attending Invasion 2015 next month, the army list submission deadline for the tournament is this Sunday, the 25th. You can still enter after this but there is a 5 point penalty for late submissions.

Tomorrow is my last field test game before finalising my list in an attempt to find something that doesn't suck! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Ugleb posted:

By the way, for anyone planning on attending Invasion 2015 next month, the army list submission deadline for the tournament is this Sunday, the 25th. You can still enter after this but there is a 5 point penalty for late submissions.

Tomorrow is my last field test game before finalising my list in an attempt to find something that doesn't suck! ;)

Good luck at the tournament. I decided against going this year. I want to get more experience playing and memorizing the rules before going.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

Its going well.

Well, its going well for my Scourge army. The UCM on the other hand....

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
That picture of the Zeus being mauled by a pack of Prowlers is the reason why PHR needs a Type 3 whose weapon is a lance and shield.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

That picture of the Zeus being mauled by a pack of Prowlers is the reason why you need to magnetize every unit in the army

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Wind Tempest posted:

That picture of the Zeus being mauled by a pack of Prowlers is the reason why PHR needs a Type 3 whose weapon is a lance and shield.

My Zeus survived that mauling but not the game. :(

In today's game my Commander actually survived, which was a first. I walked him onto the field along with a pair of Hyperions and they all performed pretty well once I was reminded that my Mercury drones are scouts and so extended his sphere of influence across the field. In our first two games I advanced him into the line of fire and used him as a bullet sponge. :doh:

It was a very close game (unlike the last one) where I again lost half my infantry to their dropship being sniped down at the start of turn 2 (like in the last one) before they disembarked, but was later able to drop a building on Grey Hunter's tank column and the infantry platoon inside it.

I like dropping buildings on people. :smuggo:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like all of the chracters teased during December are going to be released on February 28th. There's also going to be updated command cards and some scenery.

There's also this thing:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Rumour has it that's a new Scourge command option.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Hawk are still previewing their new game at GenCon? I've got chills :allears:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Looks like all of the chracters teased during December are going to be released on February 28th. There's also going to be updated command cards and some scenery.

There's also this thing:

gently caress yes KING CRAB

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

gently caress yes KING CRAB

Mobile Oppression Palace, surely?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Loxbourne posted:

Rumour has it that's a new Scourge command option.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Hawk are still previewing their new game at GenCon? I've got chills :allears:

N..new game? Do tell us more :3:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lobster God posted:

Mobile Oppression Palace, surely?

It's Big Zam deployed in hug mode.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

enri posted:

N..new game? Do tell us more :3:

They are making a BFG-esque space battle game set in the DzC universe.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

It's the crab tank of my dreams

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

If that is the new command for the Scourge, I'm going to be happy - the Squid is cool and all, but its a pain in the rear end unit as a commander. A flying commander with close range weaponry? You may as well accept that your' going to lose him.

A Heavily armed walker? Sign me up!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZachAttack posted:

If I remember right, they're working with Andy Chambers on that thing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah. Ugleb and I are going to Invasion next weekend. We will be sure to pump any staff member we can for information - Last thing we heard, it was due for a Xmas release, and this is the perfect time to start showing some sweet spaceships.

Shame the Resistance won't get starships!

Also, is the OP still around? the first post needs some updating. No Reconquest Phase 1, no card buildings - its really out of date by now!

If not I think it may be new thread time!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 29, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ZachAttack posted:

Safety Factor posted:

Ah yea that rings a bell now.. thanks for the reminder :)

Another game to try and convince my regular gaming buddies to try out :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

I told you, they will get repurposed NASA shuttles which are unarmed other than for their holds packed with high explosives.

They will lose or die gloriously at heroic ramming speeds!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Grey Hunter posted:

They should get a fleet of the winnebagos from Space Balls.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Invasion day 1 report! Numbers might be a bit off as it has been a long day!

Game 1 - Lost 11:9. My PHR took on the Scourge in a very close game that was swinging back and forth on the dice. Not a bad start, my highlight was knocking 4 DP of his commander with a single Athens attack run. Had my other Athena turned up I would likely have finished the job and won!

Game 2 - Lost 19:1. My first ever game against Shaltari for whom I read the gate rules for the first time last night. I didn't know what half his units could do and he played a really tight game in keeping out of my line of sight and maintaining a mean AA circle over everything giving my Athena's few good options. I felt this game played much better than the score suggests, I was never going to win it but it was a good learning experience.

Game 3 - Lost 16:4. PHR vs PHR! Lots of manoeuvre in this one with not much dying until the last couple of turns. The score would have been much closer if I hadn't completely locus my focus on the scenario and advanced my main battlegroup out of range of the focal point I should have easily dominated for no good reason! Could have easily picked up another 2 VP right there while denying one to my opponent. :doh:

So I'm right where I expected to be at this point, languishing in the depths of the table. Having a lot of fun though, they were three enjoyable games even if I am hemorrhaging points.

In other news, the new command units are on display along with the named legendary commanders already seen in newsletters and on Facebook. The new standard command choices are the Scourge giant Crab thing, a huge gunship for UCM, a big microwave cannon hovertank for Shaltari and a Hades variant with a giant frikkin' death laser for PHR. It's basically an enormous Hyperion and I want it.

Apparently these new models might be released at Salute in April. Also, Hawk are working on new Infantry units for each race (not sure if that includes Resistance) and there could be as many as three new options for each including CQB focused Destroyers and Power armoured UCM dudes with railguns.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Has there been any more released about the DZC in space Andy Chambers extravaganza since the massive ship they showed off last year?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I just picked up the two-player starter box a few days ago and about to have my first game this week. I'll be playing Scourge, is there any hard and fast bullet points on how to play Scourge? My list is what's in the box, 3x Hunter MGT's with a Marauder, 3x Reaper AAGT with a Marauder and two squads of 3x Warriors, both in Invaders and in a Marauder.

I've read the rules briefly and it would look to me like I should be keeping my dropships near whatever they are with for extra firepower as the Plasma Hose seems okay close up. Also Scourge seem to be an extremely aggressive 'Always Attack' style force so I guess close quickly and nuke them. Anything else?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Tanith posted:

Has there been any more released about the DZC in space Andy Chambers extravaganza since the massive ship they showed off last year?

Sadly not, but I'll try interrogating Hawk Dave about it today.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

In other news, the new command units are on display along with the named legendary commanders already seen in newsletters and on Facebook. The new standard command choices are the Scourge giant Crab thing, a huge gunship for UCM, a big microwave cannon hovertank for Shaltari and a Hades variant with a giant frikkin' death laser for PHR. It's basically an enormous Hyperion and I want it.

Apparently these new models might be released at Salute in April. Also, Hawk are working on new Infantry units for each race (not sure if that includes Resistance) and there could be as many as three new options for each including CQB focused Destroyers and Power armoured UCM dudes with railguns.

Things like these are eventually going to push me into getting a UCM army. Of all the factions, it's really cool to see them advance as they come to grips with a bunch of aliens and super humans. I started the game with PHR for the big, stompy robots, but I've always really liked the UCM's aesthetic. They're just so practical. :allears: I have their half of the starter set already built and I have a UCM starter sitting around from some sale where they were $25 so it's only a matter of time at this point.

Edit:
I looked up a picture of the new UCM command gunship and, holy poo poo, that thing's the size of a Hades. :getin:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 8, 2015

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ugleb posted:

Sadly not, but I'll try interrogating Hawk Dave about it today.

Talked with him about it - he's quite proud of the way it does turn orders and shooting, which are different to other games in the same mileu. He mentioned balance being a tricky thing in playtesting as the game uses no or vitually no scenary.

Model-wise, the races' starships won't necessarily look like their ground units - Shaltari ships won't have the lift-vanes, for example, because the don't need them in space.

Also the massive avenger carrier they've taken to events before? In the new game's scale, it's about an inch and a half long.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Safety Factor posted:

Edit:
I looked up a picture of the new UCM command gunship and, holy poo poo, that thing's the size of a Hades. :getin:

Can you link or post a picture of it? I tried looking earlier but couldn't find any.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bistromatic posted:

Can you link or post a picture of it? I tried looking earlier but couldn't find any.

Sure thing.

That thing apparently has two anti-tank chainguns, two anti-air missile pods, and six huge bombs. Alright.

There's a bunch of pictures at the link below:
http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/invasion-day-1.html?m=1

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Also the massive avenger carrier they've taken to events before? In the new game's scale, it's about an inch and a half long.

i don't know why people go on about this like it's a feature. Sounds like they'll be keeping one of Battlefleet Gothic's more infuriating mechanics - the way the canonical starship stats were so huge that neckbeards constantly tried to quote them for revolting oneupmanship contests.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Unfortunately I wasn't able to interrupt Dave for long enough to ask about the space game. When I did get hold of him today he kept on talking about the new special commanders then got pulled away.

But in good news I won a game today and avoided coming last. It was against the 10 year old who DID come last! I am a bad person. Grey won both of his and placed 28th (of 40 who ranked, we think a couple didn't show or just did one day).

Combined with me doing my best to drag down the average, TEAM GOONSWARM ranked an impressive last place in the team competition.

People, you are welcome.

Grey took more pics of the new stuff which he'll post later.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Just picked the Starter set up because my local FLGS has started to stock it. I got it for £53 including discounts and it's pretty great value - the models are brilliant and a joy to put together. I've found a willing friend to try it out next games night, should be fun.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

really because the marauder dropship has been loving annoying to put together, for some reason whatever goes on the bottom "rung" on the marauder is constantly at a very slight angle, as if it's slightly not wide enough.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

snibity snab

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

As the OP in this thread is years out of date, I have had a crack today at writing a new one with current information as opposed to stuff from before the game was even released. It is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699835&pagenumber=1#lastpost

If you have any suggestion on how to improve it let me know and I'll iterate on it. Hopefully we can turn it into a more useful resource and keep it updated.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I never actually got around to playing it. Want me to close this one down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, I never actually got around to playing it. Want me to close this one down?

If you don't mind, we may as well focus the discussion. I'm happy to do the maintenance as I'm actively playing the game.

• Locked thread