Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Admirable Gusto posted:

Fair enough. I ran 1.51-1.52ish laptimes so I'm for sure leaving a bunch of speed on the table. I'll try braking less into that turn next weekend

I think our fastest time in the Charade was 1:50.x, so I sincerely hope you do, unless a open diffed 200K mile LeMons car on 7 inch wide street tires is faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I think the Daihatsu has been on the same set of Star Specs for 3 races, though the last 2 were early DNFs. We have enough meat left over to do the 12 hour night race at Streets of Willow next month.

Note that its a 1500lb car with 120hp and proper camber/toe/caster so it doesn't needlessly chew through tires.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Get the lightest possible helmet for auto racing, the strain a cheap and heavy helmet puts on your neck is worlds apart from a Kevlar or carbon fiber helmet weighing 1/3 - 1/2 as much. I love my HJC AR10 (original), its a great helmet and not the worst thing to work on by putting a radio in, and you can mix and match pads (XXS to M is one shell size, L to XXL is another), I run L headcap and XL cheek pads in mine. Stilo helmets do not have removable pads and are assembled with a glue similar to superglue and they tear like crazy if you dismantle the fabric sections. The HJC Si helmets are alright, but lose the removable cheekpads and hence are annoying to own.

HJC makes the best cost/value helmets, Pyrotect is the worst. Bell is a terrible value for a gilded Pyrotect, Arai is beyond expensive and not amazing. Impact! got in deep poo poo for making their own SFI stickers, bypassing the SFI Foundation's licensing fees and supposedly their certification system. A very poor decision and not one that should be forgotten anytime soon. Simpson is also not that great for performance/value. Peltor's helmets are nice, but expensive.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 19, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Fuel filler and vent?

edit: I think they're covered in clear plastic sheet, not liquid.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

nm posted:

Is kind of a red flag, as selling a car without smog is illegal in this state. I kind of wonder if it will fail.

Yes, since cars in California (in smog counties) are required to have a local passing smog test when sold, and it is only valid for 90 days since the test. This person either doesn't know that (its not complicated so somewhat doubtful for an enthusiast car type), or they are just playing it off as a minor detail.

You can do whatever the gently caress you want* after a stock catalytic converter or a CARB approved replacement. They say CE #### or something on the cat if its California legal, otherwise a '49 state' or off-road cat would be at least a visual inspection issue, and possibly an issue for actual tailpipe emissions.

*while meeting noise requirements, but smog stations may or may not care, it isn't their jurisdiction.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Are you interested in wheel-to-wheel racing and wrenching? You could check out ChumpCar. About a year ago I was in the same spot as you, looking for a cheap, fun car to wrench on and take to track days. I eventually gave up because everything in my price range was salvage titled or otherwise falling apart. ChumpCar's price limit is $500, not including safety equipment, so you basically want your car to be falling apart! Having 4-6 people really helps keep costs down, too. Each event is a 7-24 hour endurance race, and it's popular nation-wide. Perfect!

I'm going to be volunteering to work corner stations this summer, and trying to get a team together this fall/winter to participate next year.

Anyway, something to think about.

I think he's raced with all of Team Dai Hard's 3 LeMons races, and one or two of our Chumpcar races :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Admirable Gusto posted:

IMO Laguna's not that hard on brakes if you're not trying to set a lap record.

Except Turn 11 which is a monster if you have the speed to do Corkscrew and the rest of the downhill quickly. In a GTI without camber added, it might not be too much of an issue.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Blooot posted:

Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear. A better way of phrasing: if you were taking your modern bone-stock car to the track for a single day on r-compounds instead of your more focused racing/sports cars, what level of prep would you bother with?

Bleed with good fluid, and make sure the pads have plenty of meat left. Add camber if you can, if not expect the outside of the tires to be destroyed pretty quickly. Heavy Mac-strut FWD cars without proper camber destroy tires in short order.

Have fun, change the brake fluid!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

I guess i'm lucky in of the fact that I don't drive to work/see people/etc, I zipcar/zipvan when I need to actually do the dumb stuff of using a car, my car is completely and totally extraneous and a money pit I keep around to drive on the track only.

I think it's a thing that I like having some pride in my car a little more than some of the (totally admitted) heaps I've seen at Lemons/Chump events (no offense intended, it's just not my bag).

I think a lot of us would like that as an ideal, but good year-round weather and decent transportation network, and ability to reasonably acces the car and work on it is pretty rare. I could store my racecar on my parents property in my workshop, but it wouldn't be easy to get here with the transportation network, which stops 15 miles away.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Belldandy posted:

Having actually built a club racer and having driven DJ Commie's Dai, and I mean this with no offense, but his car is nowhere even in a somewhat distant galaxy of a competitive club race car.

At the race you drove, absolutely a badly setup shitpile run by idiots. We ran 2:40 at Thunderhill that race, the next race was a 2:19. A few races later we ran a 1:55.0 at Laguna Seca, which is faster than stock 986 Boxster S. Not bad for 110hp on 7" street tires. Everything sucked at the beginning but learning how it all worked really helped.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Exactly. I had to learn these things, guess about suspension settings, and hope 200K mile engines would hold together when taken 800RPM over their factory fuel cuts for hours at a time. Its been an awesome trip so far, and although the Charade is really as developed as it could be running one of the tightest racing budgets in the two series, I'm still not really done with racing. In fact, I start a job on Monday selling communications systems to LeMons/Chumpcar teams, so who knows what my role in that racing will be.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 20, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

c355n4 posted:

When you start, I might be interested in some sort of cheap system to shove into an enduro CRX.

PMed!

I'm considering writing a cheap/free little eBook in the future about how to make a durable, reliable, and fun crapcan racecar since we've been enormously successful with such small budgets and total lack of technical information about the car I use. Anyone interested in that? I'd go over the basics of race alignments, team management, and ways to turn around problem situations and technical issues.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

VanNuys posted:

I don't think i would ever build one in the near future, but i would love to read that. I'm going to try to find a chumpcar or LeMons team in the LA area to see if i can hang around them.

You're more than welcome to come hang out at the Buttonwillow 24 hour race April 20-21, Team Dai Hard wil be there and probably some other goon-run teams.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Blooot posted:

I don't run Chumpcar so I'm not familiar with the fields. While I realize it's not for everyone (especially SERIOUS RACE CAR DRIVERS), I actually love the enforced zaniness and slew of bizarre builds at Lemons.

We never really got into the zany feel of LeMons, Chumpcar is really our bag, but we aren't competitive in it. We're hoping the general reliability of the car gets us through the 24 hour race at Buttonwillow next month, while we brainstorm our next car.

I like the really exotic builds in LeMons a lot, but I'm more excited in a motor cycle engine in a Metro than an old Cessna body on a Toyota van. LeMons has a lot of different things to offer, and some teams like Eyesore Racing can fill a lot of the niches at the same time, where our zaniness stopped past "we're seriousracing a Daihatsu." Its so much just to do that bit, we never really got into a theme beyond making it look like a touring car, and even then function was still more important with that.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 21, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's a shame man. We had a lot of fun in spite of the weather anyway.

Are you in this anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1uC5ujex4

That completely awful harness mounting is terrifying, and about as wrong as you can get. What kind of cage builder is so inept that they don't put in a harness bar?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What are you on about? Where do you think those harnesses are going?

It about checks every single box for improper harness mounting. The mounting angle is completely wrong, its touching the seat, etc. That seat breaks in a crash (as it will as its unbraced) that harness will break your clavicles and your spine.

jamal posted:

As long as the car's not unsafe no one cares. Plus usually it's "self tech."

Which is why people still buy Cusco cages and eBay 4 point harnesses.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Has anyone used Takata belts? I'm thinking about picking up a set but I've never actually been in a car with them. Or seen a car in person with them.

Like mentioned, they're overpriced for what you get. I had really a nice $200 Sparco 5pt latch/link harness that wasn't any worse than my $250 Racequip 6pt I just got from jamal.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

Latch and link sucks though. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and do camlock any day of the week.

I forgot to mention my Racequip is a camlock, making it a better deal in the end. I could go either way if one is better than the other.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

aventari posted:

Hotter than hell at Buttonwillow this weekend, I didn't get many pics or video as I was fixing broken poo poo most of the weekend.

We we pitted 1 stop away from Bloot so that was cool to meet him and see the awesome M1 CRX. Got a shot of him before the start of the race:

Here we are getting ready

Car: 87 535i with an E34 M30B35 motor, Getrag 260 and 4.10LSD

On track it handles adequately and has a lot of power and puts it down well, but it inspires very little confidence.

This is my first race with this team and I didn't really have a hand in car prep except for building the bottom end in the last few weeks and then installing it in a rush with no time to check anything else because of inadequate planning.

The first day we were battling undiagnosed fuel starvation, turns out the transfer pump was dying which we solved Saturday night by bypassing the pump.

The first thing to break was about 2 hours into the race and it was the front pulley falling off on track. The bolts must not have been tightened properly (this will become a theme). This caused the front harmonic balancer to cause a misfire and almost fall off so I came in and replaced that. Luckily we had a spare. One bolt broke off in the crank snout so we chased the threads in the open holes, installed 7 of 8 bolts and went out again.

A few hours later the team captain got a black flag and then the car wouldn't start in the penalty box. We pushed it into pits and found the alternator not charging. I traced it to a nut that was improperly tightened that had come loose and fallen off holding the positive charging wire to the back of the alternator.

I think there was some more issues Saturday but I cant remember. In addition, I was adding water to the radiator almost every pit because the radiator was woefully inadequate for the 105 degree ambient heat. When I was driving I had to cruise around in 5th gear every other lap as the car was overheating.

That night we bypassed the pump.

Sunday the car ran great in the morning, until there was some contact damage to the left rear fender that had pushed into the tire and was shaving down the sidewall. We got a chain puller on that and were able to pull that out and keep racing. Then the car came in completely dead. It turns out the main fuel pump died, probably from having been starved so much the day before. We replaced it with a pump from one of the other BMW E28's that had died earlier in the day and kept racing.

Then the car did okay until the 2nd to last lap when the motor decided to give up and spin a rod bearing. I'm convinced that because we have a stock radiator and no oil cooler, (and no oil temp gauge) that the oil just got too hot and thin and the motor let go.

I'm kind of discouraged, mostly with team dynamics and prep, but at least I got 3 stints in and the car ran most of the time.
I'd really like to build my _own_ car next and prepare it properly to survive an endurance race.

Miss the Daihatsu? We miss you!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Joe Mama posted:

I was at an event at Thunderhill on monday. I ran 7 20min sessions. My arms and neck hurt all week. Ran mid-low 2:20's though, not bad for my first dry track day though.

This may have been stated already but... Thunderhill is in the process of expanding and they had all kinds of earth-moving going on. It's already a fairly long track so it'll be cool to watch the 25hrs of Thunderhill or something on a 4.5 mile course. And they'll have the ability to have 2 separate events east/west too.

What were you driving? I think the LeMons Charade made a 2:19.x with the full 15 turn course.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'm considering leaving the Charade disassembled and actually buy this extant rally car and make it work in NASA, Rally America, and LeMons/Chumpcar. It might be EC in Chumpcar, and penalized heavily in LeMons, but it'd be cool to concentrate time and resources on a single car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Multi-point harnesses are pretty useless without the crotch strap, and unless you have the hole in the seat pan (never put it in front of the seat), its probably dangerous. A CG-Lock and the stock seatbelt is a decent bet. This is why lots of dedicated track cars have racing seats with the aforementioned crotch strap hole.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

drgitlin posted:

I thought this was a good article about WRL: http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/...torsports?.html

I enjoyed it, especially the hard truths about SCCA's own control issues, really could have done more than deify WRL at the expense of intentionally never mentioning Chumpcar. LeMons is a great stepping stone to get cars built and masses of people in them, Chumpcar is another stepping stone towards making the racing more of a centerpoint, and WRL takes that idea further. It would have been far better in that article to use that as a progression rather than the snub. Sure, Chumpcar is and has been entirely mismanaged with regards to internal politics and respect towards staff, and WRL really seems to be the next iteration of the idea, but really it is far more positive than that article makes it seem.

note: I am involved tangentially with WRL, and I'm definitely not saying that it is any less awesome than it is, but more that snubbing Chumpcar is and never was the goal, though some people seem to not understand that part fully.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Exactly, if it doesn't say SFI 38.1 (or FIA 8858), its a neck donut to keep the static weight of your helmet off your head.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Phone posted:

OMP Sport 2-layer.

This. I have a G-Force 3.2A5 two-layer and its pretty nice and affordable, but the OMP is definitely nicer.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Who was the AI poster who worked for Rugged Radios I think it was?

Looking to grab some gear for an upcoming 12hr race.

Yep, that's me. Sent you a PM.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

Temps are also really helpful for suspension and alignment adjustments.

I think that really helped set what baselines for pressures and alignments on the Charade, and that thing set some blistering lap times with ~110hp.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I may show up to the Buttonwillow LeMons race this weekend, who here is racing there?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

keykey posted:

We're heading there this weekend. We're in an 80's inspired volvo 780.

If I do come, it'll be early Saturday probably. Mind sending me an email? djcommie at gee male.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

They repaved Buttonwillow, I may actually drive up there now

I'm as excited for that as I am for the new Thunderhill course. B-Willow needed the resurfacing really badly, the Charade was soft for a race car and still bounced around, I can't even imagine what it was like on a motorcycle or a formula car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Aurune posted:

The new track is really technical and a lot of fun to drive. Not so much to race on as there really isn't any passing area unless the person in front of you really messes up. Add to that big rocks that get dragged on with the slightest off and car bending curbs. It's a bit of a mess back there right now.

Not my video thankfully. Big repair bill @ just past 5:05
https://vimeo.com/98998190

My only disappointment is the turn 9 bypass for the new course, 7-10 is my favorite part of the course.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I need to clean up wiring in my track car. What do people like for in car wire wrap? Spiral wrap is cheap, but I imagine that would be a huge pain in the rear end to install. I'm not worried about under hood just yet, but that's probably next.

I use split loom as well as braided sleeving (Chinese finger trap) depending on the need. Having the sleeving with adhesive lined shrink tube makes nice wiring work perfect, but adding/removing would require cutting the reapplying the shrink tube.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I bring a 2.5gal container of distilled water and some Gatorade powder. Serves dual uses!

Otherwise: Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

What happened to DJ Commie, he used to work at PCI Race Radios

I actually worked for Rugged Radios as well a few years ago. Anyone is more than welcome to ask me about radios, LMR (Commercial) or Ham. I know them both, the legalities (none of it is legal!) and what/where/how you should buy stuff. Just don't ask me about programming :filez:

I'm a computer janitor now, because nobody liked a know-it-all that actually did.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

What do pro race series use to be legal?

To be legal in the eyes of the FCC, a business (race team) obtain a license to operate commerical band equipment, usually geographically locked at the location noted in the application, usually pretty easy to obtain with low power handhelds and derated mobile radios use in racing. Then you just use the radios at tracks* and watch for stepping on others. Real teams and sanctioning bodies coordinate frequency use and can move around inside their licensed frequencies to get everyone in there, or at least on different CTCSS/CDCSS tone or whatever the equivalent is for their specific DMR system.

The other way is to rent/lease radios and piggyback on the vendor's licences, which is the 'normal' way its done to circumvent the licensing hoops. Sanctioning bodies themselves do this, as well.

*Note that this can be operating outside the license's geographical limitations, unless you got some serious talent working on your applications and know what tracks you will be at...

edit: Its a gigantic shitshow and it really only works when everyone uses a single vendor who has an exclusive deal with the sanctioning body. Circle/oval track racing tends to have bans on two way radios, though sometimes has one way spotter communications with a Raceiver or similar receive only setup. LeMons/ChumpCar/WRL is a huge loving shitfest radio-wise and people run garbage radios all over bands that get the FCC or local emergency response really interested in the event. Its far far far worse now with VFO mode enabled "Commercial" garbage like the Baofeng UV5R and its ilk.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 5, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I wouldn't continue to wear a motorcycle helmet in a car when I could buy a properly rated one. You'll have to anyway if you progress past the HPDE/auto-x level. Motorcycle helmets aren't designed for cage/windshield hits, nor certified fire retardant materials/construction. Oddly enough, there are some dual-certification helmets, they just aren't common or particularly nice.

My 2005 AR-10 was great for fiveheads, and the newer ones aren't any worse.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I guess this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for the best rallycross tire in near stock size (185-60-14) for my Stock-4WD class 323 GTX. I've seen the General Altimaxx Arctic mentioned as the one of the best options, really just looking for the best place to buy them. I'm in sandy (DG soil) with little actual gravel content, and would like some streetability since there's lots of well groomed dirt roads around. I'm in sunny California in the coastal mountains so they'll never see ice or snow, or likely even sub 50degF pavement.

Also, what is a decent street/track tire for a 15x6" wheel? I have 195 tires on there looking pretty square, so probably 195/55 or 205/50? They're 2002-sih Lancer OZ wheels. Last time I looked was before the UTQG 200-treadwear wars!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Firestone winterforce v1 is THE rallyx tire if you can get your hands on them. Lots of void space and the sidewall is sharp so they have good lateral dig. Can you not run gravel tires though?

Looks cheap! I haven't heard of them, is there a second version to avoid? Gravel tires as in real rally tires? I've never seen decently priced ones, and $200 a pop for Maxxis ones are a bit steep for something that likely couldn't utilize the benefits

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Snell DOT and Snell SA are different categories, though they are some helmets that meet both. Motorcycle DOT and Snell DOT don't have to be fire retardant and don't have the same side impact and multiple impact testing the SA helmets do.