Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Empire, I'm an idiot who can never seem to get a UK game right. I always seem to get bogged down fighting in North American against the obnoxiously early revolting colonies and then out teched with my Navy against France and Spain.

This is irritating as everyone else seems to state the UK in Empire is easy mode. Can anyone give me good advice to make sure I make it to 1730?

In my UK game, I made two colonial armies. The first went up north and used a sloop to take all of the Native territories before sweeping south, while the other went ans smashed the Pirates. I then got into an early war against Spain thanks to them declaring war on an ally, and snapped up all of their islands and their sweet, sweet trade goods. Between this and pumping out as many trade ships as possible, I was rolling in cash and able to swap some workshops for schools, then tech-rushed to get 2nd-rates and used them to crush the French and Spainish navy. After that it was just a case of wrapping up America and invading the mainland.

Also, any tips for a 1-star NTW player to not get kicked from multiplayer lobbies by drooling retards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

peer posted:

In Medieval 2 and the earlier games, you have to move depleted units into a castle or town to replenish the unit (which then takes a turn and costs money). The castle or town needs to be able to train that type of unit, or you can't replenish. This meant that if your super-elite unit of badass knights took losses far away from your most developed castle, you might have to move them all the way back to reinforce them.

I remember having to get around that by having several stacks of reinforcements following my main army around. Got pretty ridiculous towards the mid-game, and quickly sapped my will to complete the campaign. Since General units auto-reinforce anyway, is it possible for modders to add it in, or is it hard-coded?

NihilCredo posted:

Don't bother with minor vanilla fixes, especially if you're at all interested in the historical aspect of the game.

https://www.europabarbarorum.com

There are other great mods for R:TW and maybe there will be goons who can vouch for them, but this is the one I can personally swear by. Dumped countless hours both on having fun playing the game and on learning all the historical detail that is built into the mod.

My personal favourite Rome mod is Roma Surrectum. Bit of a pain in the arse to install, and has a fair bit of feature bloat, but my god there is no better mod for giant battles. 0-turn recruitment for non-elite units means you and the AI can easily have huge armies all over the place, and the age of the engine means even older systems can run multi-army battles with ease.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 18, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'll be honest, I'd prefer Rome 2 over another gunpower-era game. Hell, a new Rome with the moddibility of RTW and the improvements from the later games would probably get me fired from all the sickies I'd be pulling.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Farecoal posted:

:rolleyes: I love history, I play Paradox games a poo poo ton, but Total War seems, to me anyway, to be more about what's fun/cool* than historical. And about the "slightly browner phalanxes", isn't that exactly what RTW/EB did?

This is another reason why I love Roma Surrectum, because the sheer number of units and the colourful designs on the shields and uniforms means you don't get this problem. That and the ridiculous number of mercs and regional troops.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Medieval 3: Oh poo poo they've got Bear Cavalry!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Supeerme posted:

Well it seems that steam doesn't like mods that much. i am trying to get RS2 going but can anyone tell me why is there so many folders named_play_rome and stuff?

I still get the error. this error was around before I added mods. WHy did they gently caress up so badly!? I got testapp and the exe that still is broken.

Watch and obey!

And the multiple folders is because they have a separate campaign start for each faction i.e Rome has Hannibal with a big army in their faces but for everyone else he's still chillin' in Spain.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Zettace posted:

That's why they don't use the "Total War" name. Just create a new series.

Eh, CA don't have a good track record with non-historical stuff. Mind you, it's only one game, Stormrise, but it was that bad.

Tomn posted:

I dunno about that. The problem with using Medieval to cover the Renaissance is, well, pretty simply, by the time the Renaissance units are rolling out odds are good that you're already steamrollering everything in sight anyways, and good luck seeing AI armies of similar units in reasonable army compositions. Plus, slogging through the whole early medieval thing over and over to get to the good stuff is irritating (and don't talk to me about custom battles - I like my fights to have context!)

Just set up a late start lime Medieval 2 and extend the end date to the middle of the 17th century.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Supeerme posted:

I fixed it myself. I all I had to do was to crack the exe. I am a bit confused by the sheer numbers of units and buildings though.

Read the info cards, they contain the details you need. Here are a few tips for RSII though:

1) At the beginning you'll have a huge income. Spend it wisely as your profits will quickly drop since most buildings incur a tax penalty. Invest in trade buildings, get your diplomats out getting trade agreements and build public order buildings so you can tax the poo poo out of the people.

2) Spam armies. 0-turn recruitment means you can make up to 9 units per city a turn. The AI WILL exploit this, and if you don't you're boned. Plus basic units have such a low upkeep that you can easily maintain large armies.

3) Better units will often have high upkeep. I'm talking "Could buy half an army" high for the top-tier units. Be careful about large armies of these guys, as it can cripple you.

4) Many buildings have multiple upgrades per city level, as opposed to one upgrade per level. This breaks the building browser, so don't rely on it. Use info cards instead.

5) Never leave a general in a city at the end of a turn. The mod has a lot of city-traits that will make them decent governors but useless generals, and you will get pissed off at the loss of a good general.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Also, if you're playing FOTS, bring a couple of Katana units, as they'll carve through garrison units easily and their main weakness (getting shot to pieces while charging) is negated by the enemy dodging cannon fire.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

VanSandman posted:

If it really is Rome 2, I hope they learn from some of the more historically accurate mods that history can be very fun if you take the time to make it work.

I don't see a huge problem here since after Rome the units have looked fairly historically accurate. Not perfect, as the various spergs from the history nuts has shown, but enough that Johnny Layman doesn't have a clue and thinks that Braveheart/Patriot/Sharpe has been nailed perfectly, while Rome had even the most history-ignorant thinking the Egyptians looked a bit odd.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I was just being a little too general there. What I mean was it'd be nice if the ships were big enough and our crew was more flexible and had more options to fight out a slightly more cramped smaller version of a proper battle on the ships decks.

Might sound fiddily to some, but I'd enjoy it.

I don't think the ships are big enough for that. Boarding actions on Triremes would pretty much play out the same as attacking a wall, with tactics boiling down to either piling into the middle or attacking from the sides. Besides, who cares about boarding when you can set your ship for RAMMING SPEED! :black101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Oh. gently caress. YES! :black101: Can't wait for the footage of this demo. Just hope I can afford a ninja PC by then. Must start saving....

EDIT: link to full-size pic since I can't link to it properly http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-preview/

EDIT2: godfuckingdamnitall, just read the drat article.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 2, 2012

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

Got a bit of an eyebrow raised about the whole "zooming down to the individual view of a soldier and reacting when the guy next to me takes an arrow to the knee", though. Not quite sure how that's supposed to work out to help improve gameplay.

It doesn't help gameplay, it helps the HOLY poo poo THIS LOOKS AWESOME factor. Although when they move onto gunpowder eras again it'll help a lot with figuring out if your cannons have a good shot or if they're gonna give a nearby hill a good kicking instead.

On the flip-side, it also looks like they're having a Supreme Commander-style zoom-out overlay instead of a minimap, which is awesome since I loved that in SupCom.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RentACop posted:

They seriously are never going to add any mod-ability back in. the dlc genie ain't ever going back in that bottle (at least it's been decent). And even the "moddable" games had tons of hardcoded limits to tons of things like province and faction amounts

I don't see the problem with combining DLC and moddability since mods don't mix with vanilla multiplayer and a large appeal of DLC units is using them online. I just hope the SEGA execs realise that (pfffft, as if).

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Pharoahs throwing flaming butts from dog-drawn chariots would make an excellent peak to the series.

I would seriously use nothing but these bad boys in multiplayer, even if they were utter poo poo, just for the tears of rage they'd cause.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Also, I got a tradepost, but no one wants to trade with me. I tried removing my tradeships first, but no game. Anything I can do to make them like me more?

Short of giving them loads of money, not much. I think Darthmod has a thing that basically forces the AI to accept trade agreements but I'm not 100% sure about that, and it might be a stand-alone mod too.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

:woop:

Nothing like making an army of nothing but wardogs and sending them around eating their way through bandits and rebels.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

Nope. They're still invulnerable while the artillery is limbered. It's the funniest thing to have an Armstrong move slowly around the field and let every one of his yari ki swarm up on it. That's when you bring the Revolver Cav.

Oh man, I am so making a custom battle out of this!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

The "TRIARI!" guy was the second best thing about vanilla Rome (the first being HOUNDS!)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Hi guys, I'm playing Medieval 2 again because it's the best game, but was wondering what mods I can get for it as I've played vanilla and Kingdoms so much I can sort of game the system these days. I'd like to keep it more realistic so the Third Age one, as good as it looks, is a no for me. Any recommendations?

Edit: Literally just scrolled up three posts. Checking out Stainless Steel!

Edit: Oh christ how do I download Stainless Steel? The main site has megaupload, which doesn't exist anymore. They have provided a shady mirror which requires you to pay them and their torrent is 2.5gb and I'm getting 17kpbs :/

The Gamefront one should be fine. Was pretty fast for me and free to boot.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

physeter posted:

Park a diplomat next to Rome and give the Pope 500-1000 florins every turn. Your papal regard will remain the tops and threats to excommunicate will never be carried out. Also, every time someone else attacks you, their regard will fall a bit. Eventually, they will be excommunicated and you can annihilate.

This is how wusses do it. Real men park an army next to Rome and give the Pope a swift beating every turn. And then deal with every Catholic nation declaring war on you. Not the smartest move, but it is the most fun :black101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Elephants! :stare:

Elephanty! :colbert:

I hope the terrible accents make a return.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Aren't they implementing a Supreme Commander-style camera anyway? That should solve a lot of command problems. Zoom out, give orders, zoom in to trouble areas for fine-tuning. Job's a gud 'un!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

It's fun. The Radious Naval Mod is good. Probably necessary to keep sea battles from being super-frustrating.

It's less about making them less frustrating and more about making them last longer. FOTS ships caught fire way too easy and surrendered far too quickly when on fire, and using explosive rounds was an "I WIN" button since they caused fire. Now battles last a decent length and you have to do more then line your ships up and switch to explosive rounds. Unless you have the Warrior-class ships, because holy gently caress they pack a lot of guns :black101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Alchenar posted:

CA have said that one of the objectives of Rome 2 is to try to get rid of 'chaff clearing' and focus the game on large battles.

Also Rome has the Civil War.

I hope they also force the AI to keep their armies in the field, maybe have a mechanic where keeping armies inside cities incurs a penalty, because in almost all of the campaigns I've had it devolves into siege after siege because no enemy will take to the field :argh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

You can also just starve the defenders out and force a battle.

The downside to that was that it meant you had to wait 3-8 turns for a battle. Hell, I used to hope for enemy reinforcements so I could at least get my field battle that way. Otherwise it's a long wait for the same result.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sieges in Fall Of The Samurai are horribly bloody by the way. Even with a really good army and artillery battery.

Got to give them points of designing the forts to be the perfect tiring morale sapping death traps.

FOTS sieges weren't so bad since you could take a shitload of artillery and katana units, pound the walls and gates flat then flood the battered enemy with troops that could kick their arse in melee. And if a fleet was nearby the enemy would usually break before that. Not useful in the field, but that wasn't an issue.

I've fanboyed the Roma Surrectum II mod a few times in this thread and probably the biggest reason I love it above all other mods is the fact that the huge number of units kicking around the map means the AI is far more willing to meet in open battle. That and multi-stack battles that my PC can run with ease :black101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Speaking of DarthMod for Napoleon, what's the best non-DarthMod for Napoleon? I've tried that Lordz one but it seems crap for singleplayer (since it turns out to be a multiplayer-focused mod) and my last go-to mod, Napoleon Total Combat, hasn't been updated for the last patch and is now broken.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Any recommended mods for Shogun 2 that don't radically change anything but improve gameplay and don't included any pop culture references?

The Radious mods are pretty good. They add a crapload of new units and balance out a lot of things. You'll need to activate only the mod for whichever campaign you're going to use (i.e. if playing Fall of the Samurai, only activate the FOTS mod) but the mod manager makes it easy.

You're probably better off using the Steam Workshop to install since it's easy to use.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Since you seem to be an expert, please educate me on the proper use of a Portuguese Terco.

From the description, I figured they were a combination of matchlocks and spears, capable of firing volleys until the enemy closed to melee, then giving a good account of themselves. So I stuck them in the center of my formation...and they got pasted. With a melee defense of two, I guess they just can't handle a prolonged fight.

So I decided to entrust them with the right flank along with my unit of Long Yari Ashigaru, figuring they could ward off cavalry and keep the flank strong. But a unit of Yari Cavalry destroyed them. I guess they don't get a bonus against cavalry, despite the spears.

Right now, they sit in my gunline next to my Heavy Gunners. Seems like kind of a waste.

You sure those are Tercos? I've been playing around with them and for me they have a melee defence of 15! They've been holding up well in melee for me so far, and I've basically been playing my Otomo army like an Empire/Napoleon army. They typically can't hold up too long against dedicated melee troops but they hold long enough for other Tercos to flank and fire into the sides and rear, and then the fleeing begins.

Mind you, I am using Radious mod, so maybe he changed stuff around.

The description is of the historical Terco, which was a combined arms unit. Sadly, it's misleading in-game since the unit has no pikes at all. Again, Radious has a new unit of pike Tercos that can be used alongside the matchlock Tercos. As well as sabre Tercos and mounted ranged-cav Tercos. Yup, you can have an almost fully European army.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

This is probably true; Radious intentionally changed stats so that melees last much longer than they do in vanilla. It's a general trend amongst modders for TW games, actually. Battles can become a grind, but it does make combat more of a spectacle.

Just checked it out and yup, that's what happened. I guess with melee defence 2 I dunno what real use they have beyond usual matchlock duties. Which is a shame because their shooting skills put Japanese matchlock troops to shame. Still, with Radious it's possibly to have a European-style gunline army :black101: Also, you can mass-produce The Black Ship, because gently caress anyone else being allowed onto the sea.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Frankly, if you've got £20 quid spare, just grab the overall pack, or tack on another £10 and get the complete here-is-all-the-DLC pack.

I didn't find Shogun 2 dumbed down, rather it just let you know exactly what was going on in terms of stats and bonuses rather then hiding it like earlier games did. It helps to figure out how and why you lost ("ah, so that unit has high melee defence so I got bogged down and overwhelmed. Better shoot them next time").

I also like how multiplayer has matchmaking, so I stop getting kicked from lobbies for having a low multiplayer rank :argh: Got into Napoleon late and have never played a land battle online because I kept getting booted for "being a 1-star noob" :smith:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

From what I can recall, ETW is pretty diverse especially with the DLC. In the terms of 18th and early 19th century warfare. Sadly outside of mods all you'd use is the professional line or Grenadiers because of the stats.

Some of the more esoteric units had their uses. Cavalry and light infantry always had their uses, and when tangling with the French in America I got good use out of sneaky Native units out on the flanks. And cannons wih canister were monsters. But yea, the vast bulk of armies were line infantry. Which is historically accurate I guess.

Shogun 2 didn't have a huge diversity at launch but between DLC and the Radious mod my current campaign game has an almost ridiculous amount of unit types. Fast-moving Wako pirates, Ninja units with kisho training that lets them deploy almost anywhere, European troops with pike and shot, musketeer cavalry, monk musketeers, stealthy nuns (nunjas! :iamafag:) and more besides. It's at the point where I often have no idea what to use. Plus the two DLC campaigns add a lot of variety too. I'm also playing a Fall campaign where I have an entire stack of nothing but British troops :britain:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Iceshade posted:

Now that sounds more like it! :v:

Radious mod is needed for a really massive diversity since in addition to all the units it adds it also removes the faction limitations from the faction-specific units that the DLCs added, so for example the Hojo Hand Mortars or the Date Bulletproof Samurai can now be used by everyone (although the original faction still gets an improved version). Plus it lets you form trade missions with all three nations in Fall, so you can have British, French and US troops all at the same time (suppose you could say the same for ships, but the British ship outclasses everything else by such a large margin it's ridiculous).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

For me, It'll be the fact they've made modding the campaign map impossible so your game will be over by 1720 for most European factions.

Didn't they do that because opening up the game for full modding would've increased load times by several hours?

And while Empire was the weakest Total War game for me, I still enjoyed it far more then most other strategy games, because despite it's flaws it was still a fantastic rendition of 18th century warfare. Just wish it had been more refined.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Considering that Shasta points out and we all experince twenty minute turns at the tail ends of our camapigns anyways, It isn't a big deal this point down the road.

I never reached what I would call the tail end of my campaign. Or indeed most of my campaigns. Hell, only campaign I fully completed was a Welsh campaign in Viking Invasion! I keep trying to stick to one faction but then I get bored and switch. I've only seen Realm Divide once, and haven't reached the FotS version yet :smith:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I hope the Rome 2 multiplayer is similar to Shogun 2 but with far less of the grindy poo poo. Having to do shittons of battles just to get decent units is the opposite of fun, especially when you're forced to fight people who have already unlocked some of the good poo poo and stomp all over you.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Turning off the radar was one way I made Empire slightly more enjoyable for myself and then they went ahead and introduced hardcore battle mode in Shogun 2, step in the right direction right there.

The Empire radar was shite anyway, far too cluttered to be of any use.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

If you can win your first couple of wars as the Shimazu you're virtually unstoppable, since Kyushu is incredibly easy to hold. Shikoku has a lot more fronts to worry about. Not to mention that as the Shimazu you have instant access to 2/3rds of the trade routes.

What clans do people generally play? Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever started on the east side of the map...

I've tried Shimazu, Otomo, Date, Ikko Ikki and Oda. Only got fairly far with Shimazu, where I struggled to keep my trade routes until I got Nanban ships, at which point I ruled the seas, had ungodly amounts of money coming in, and got bored and stopped playing.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
For Shogun sieges you have a number of options. Most obvious and easiest is to bring a shitload of troops so the combat resolution is massively in your favour and auto-resolve it. You can make siege weapons, although they are of limited use because they can't be moved. However, blowing up walls and gates not only gives you easier access (I think destroyed walls cause less casualties for climbers, but I'm not sure), but destroying them kills anyone on them, causing loads of casualties in a unit. It's just that once the walls and gates are down the enemy are tough to hit. Fire rockets cause massive damage but scatter like crazy so are unreliable unless the enemy has a LOT of troops. If you are Hojo or have Radious, hand mortars are the best option since they are very accurate and cause a lot of damage.

Failing that, just spread your troops out, climb multiple walls at the same time and use unengaged units to either make flank attacks or better yet make a dash for the centre and end the siege quickly. Back them up with archers shooting up any units in the open and you should come away with less-then-crippling losses.

Rise is the same but without the siege options. Fall you have powerful guns and possibly a naval bombardment, so you can blow the enemy to hell and back and then order a mass charge through the now-shattered gates and hopefully the demoralised enemy will break quickly. I like to keep a couple of units of katana kachi to lead the charge as they'll rip all but the most elite infantry to pieces and have the armour to shrug off fire from the tattered remnants of the enemy.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Trujillo posted:

I've seen vassals be useful but it seems like they only attack provinces they have a land connection with. I've actually seen one bring up a stack next to a city of mine that was about to be attacked by four stacks at once. They were probably just on their way to another city and happened to stop there but it still helped a ton.

When playing as Satsuma, I saw my vassal launch a naval invasion once. They captured the city, then immediately declared war on me and launched a second naval invasion :iiam:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's probably too much of a change but I hope the next Total War game is in a fictional setting. How cool would that be?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/06/the-creative-assembly-making-games-workshop-games/ :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

My preferred strategy with the Ikko Ikki was to expand as 'peacefully' as possible. Incite religious revolts and they'll flip to your allegiance if successful. You can nab provinces off clans you're at peace with this way.

I used wave after wave of Loanswords backed up with warcrying-Monks, worked pretty well. Only downside was that until I managed to nab a few trade nodes I had a fairly long wait between battles since casualties were high and I only had one stack. Plus with no access to Nanbans, I had to actually learn how to fight naval battles in order to keep those nodes.