Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any tips on playing Zheng Jiang on 3Kingdoms? I'm not usually very good at playing aggressively in strategy games, especially 4x ones!

I started off pacifying the areas to my south with the remainder being the Han city on the edge of the river, I allied quickly with the Bandits to my east but have sort of floundered unsure on how to edge out from here. Yuan Shao keeps hiring me to attack Yellow Turbans or the Han which gives me some targets. I'm wondering if stabbing the other bandits in the back would give me some more breathing room to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up getting dog piled quite badly in that campaign - currently playing Liu Bei and I'm one of the 3 Kingdoms and dealing with the betrayal of Sun Ce. I'm going to be devastated when Zhang Fei or Guan Yu die though, even if it is old age - a generic face npc isn't quite the same!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I'm going to pick up that mod that doubles year times to 10 turns rather than 5. Feels like the slightly slower annual pace would work better for the game. Not sure what it does to reforms though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah i got that mod too. I'll try both and see how they work. Though apparently the double season one has some bugs.

E: I also got the Make them unique again which adds more unique characters with their own portraits and its super neat.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 24, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chocobo posted:

If you get a mod that makes winter last multiple turns, does that mean your generals will have that much more of a chance of dying on the eventually unavoidable winter campaigns? Because gently caress does it suck to lose a faction leader or a legendary general to a winter diceroll.

I'm not sure. I'm going to start a Cao Cao campaign with it tonight and see what happens. It's got known problems with the Mandate of Heaven Sun Jian start apparently. I'll report back!

With the no death of old age mod - does that work with the current version of the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh those are cool too. I'm glad I picked this up, it's my favorite TW.

Report back on the 10 turns per year mod, I really like it. It feels like a better pace of the game and makes the seasons matter more. It feels a lot more natural to play with.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What's the difference between the Saga and non Saga for Total War? Is it just a focus on one period?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Qubee posted:

Is that the saga or non saga
lmao.

Troy looks neat. I'll most likely pick that up if it's good.

Finally managed to win a campaign and was playing Gongsun Zan, that dude slaps and it got a bit ridicilous with the huge horse armies I was running, oddly enough I didn't quite get enough of it and felt I could do more, so I've started a game as Ma Teng. :toot:

I picked up Mandate of Heaven & A World Betrayed when I got this as I fancied some of the content, though I'm still working through the Warlords, what's the deal with the Eight Princes? Is it any good? I'm not sure on how I feel about moving forward in the timeline as I quite like where it is.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do you actually get people to leave another coalition or alliance? I'm trying to poach Zheng Jiang for my coalition with Yan Baihu so we can be the cool dudes coalition.

Also man a lot of the Ma family dislike each other.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/D9W8Fvh.mp4

This game is seriously pretty.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I've started rocking even more cavalry now they're completely free to recruit and it's great. Struggling a bit using Pearl Dragons though? They seem a bit weak?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I really love the fluidity of the game and the presentation, it's my favourite TW so far.

Just closed up my Ma Teng campaign, really enjoyed the cavalry heavy focus (played Gongsun Zan previously too) but the last 20 or so turns were a slog, Sun Ce just grew out of control and I had to bulldoze through his territories, the game really needs something down there to contest him I think. He seems to just become a superpower unless I can directly interfere early.

I want to do a Bandit playthough next, I'm thinking of Yan Baihu as he starts relatively near so I can try to address that. Is there any major differences in his starts? One preferable over the other?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I ended up just doubling on the Imp Sword Guards and they slap. I tried a Yan Baihu campaign but didn't really click with the Banditry mechanic, I think I need to give it another go. Opted to try Cao Cao instead!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Are there any stand out cosmetic mods for the generic generals? I use MTU and some other in-game mod overhauls, but the boring nameless generals are bug me a bit. I don't use them much if I can help it. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just want the Namman for 3k :unsmith:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

:respek: Hell, same. I think 3K might be my favorite TW game yet -- give me some Guandu and Red Cliff and Yiling chapter packs too.

Yeah it's definitely mine, the presentation is so slick I love it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anno posted:

I thought Nanman had already been confirmed as the next DLC?
Yeah, they are. I just want them now. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That UI is really ugly after playing 3Kingdoms. It definitely looks like a step back.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Achilles is a bitch, Lu Bu is where it's at.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How are people speccing commanders in 3K? They're the one I'm never quite sure on, I usually do 2x units of cavalry and the rest as front line troops, usually green or grey border.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Eimi posted:

I never use them until I have Jade Dragons/Imperial Cavalry, and then they're a really bad red general!
My first few legendary Lords are Commanders so I'm stuck with them for a bit! I'm playing Liu Chong though so I can just spam royal guard I guess

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A few people I know haven't gotten into it because they have no interest or exposure to Chinese history which is also a barrier to introducing new blood.

One thing they should absolutely take away is how slick and beautifully presented the game is, it really adds a ton of life and atmosphere into the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah, I've held off on getting 3K because I have only the most cursory familiarity with the time period and feel like I need to actually read Rot3K before I can actually appreciate the game all that much
For me it's been the other way around - it's made me want to read it to learn more about these characters. I have spent a few evenings googling to learn who people are and there is a mod that adds a little historical blurb to each characters profile which helps.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nobody is denying that, I'm just mentioning what others have said as a possible reason with attracting even more players, 3k is definitely my favourite TW and I think it's great. :)

I am planning to watch that series once I've finished another show I'm watching. Thanks for the links all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I submitted to Cao Cao as a vassal to stop him ravaging my lands in my Liu Chong campaign, next turn he liberated me and set up a trade agreement. What the.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm curious what legendary unique characters they're updating with the next dlc for 3k. Between it and MTU it fleshes out the game quite a bit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

3k Patch Beta hits today:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-patch-1-5-2/

It's pretty meaty too!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Speaking of the Turbs, playing as He Yi is a different and refreshing experience. I dig the glass cannon peasant army and unique tech tree. I thought I was boned when Cao Cao came storming in after I took the southwest Han territory, but I managed to set up a successful ambush at the Runan-Yangzhou crossing. Lol get hosed Cao Cao, this is our neighborhood now.

This game is growing on me.
Yeah I've been playing a He Yi campaign and it's incredibly fun. Some of their units slap hard.

Wish there was some more diplomacy options with Zhang Yan or the other Turban factions though!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Realised last night that Liu Bei's Yi ranged units can fire on the move - it's pretty brutal to use. I like his cheap militia trait too - let me run two full stacks right near the start of the game which is great.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zhang Yan has stolen the Emperor and he's hiding out in the mountains, anyone who goes up there loses their stack to ambushes, lol.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Liu Biao is mine, fucker just constantly badgering me with Co-Operating with him or Yuan Shou just demanding to be his vassal or going to war with me. Prick.

E: Is it actually possible to recruit Lu Bu into a faction and not have him betray you? he seems ridiculously hard to control, which is fitting I suppose!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 13, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I promoted him to Blood General and that seems to have sated him for now, playing Liu Bei helps as I can rack so many positive modifiers it's kept him happy.

Now to fire him at someone and watch the sparks fly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up shoving him into an open positon and giving him the Blood Dragon title, not sure that was the best for him but it worked a charm and now he's happy murderman.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's criminal that Pang De doesn't have a unique portrait. That guy slaps.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Had a great duel moment last night in my Liu Bei campaign, Lu Bu, Lu Ji and Diaochan facing off vs He Yi, He Man and some other dude and Lu Ji took He Yi's head clean off in a duel and screamed at him to "get back up, you coward" whilst their army started to rout, it was loving awesome to play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PD doesn't have one yet in MTU but iirc the guy is working on it alongside CA to avoid clashes. Mtu is great.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started a 194 Ma Teng campaign and its a tricky start. I've managed to lock down the North West and I'm starting to build up the abandoned regions whilst my ebon starts to snowball.

Something is up with the Ma family though, Teng and Chao always hate everyone.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

McTimmy posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone loves Ma Teng.
Lmao, I love stuff like this, really adds some nice flavour to the game.

I noticed in my campaign that Pang De becomes a legendary hero, even if he doesn't start as one, that's a bit weird as I didn't think characters would level up to legendary.

What siege equipment compositions do people use? I know the usual answer is 2-3x Trebuchet and just murder the gates, but I find that a bit boring and sometimes like to use siege towers etc.

I've been favouring 1x Ram, 2x Towers, 2x Tunnels (optional) for smaller cities, and 2x Ram, 2x Tower, 1x Tunnel for larger ones.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm really enjoying playing my YT Campaign, but I do miss the diplomacy side of things quite a bit, it's a lot of character in the game that you can't interact with anymore.

Some of these YT units are absolutely nuts though, Men of the Forest feel like they're armed with AK47s compared to the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been tempted to reinstall it but I do worry it may have aged poorly.