Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mans posted:

If they're going with the three family poo poo again i'm not even bothering with this.

...It's a screenshot from the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

popewiles posted:

Goddamn all I want to play right now is a 1960's Planet of the Apes Total War game. No I don't know what any of the mechanics would be beyond General Charlton Heston giving the pre-battle speeches.

Ape Must Not Kill Ape.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well maybe Oriental Empires will scratch the China itch that many of us have.

Fake edit: Apparently early access is available on Steam, so if anyone has tried it let me know.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's gonna be Rome vs China, finally settling the question once and for all - which Immortal God-Emperor was truly the mightiest?

As long as they don't skimp out on the historical role Jackie Chan and Adrian Brody played in the seminal Sino-Latin Wars.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I totally support revisiting older titles and giving them new content, if they choose to go down that road. Imagine an Imjin War expansion for Shogun II or more Napoleon content, etc. I don't know if you could stretch Attila to the Medieval age but that would be cool too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That weird part of the 7 Years War when everyone just sorta became a rat king.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm still saying vikings and (visi)goths. This is with a poor grasp of history, but I believe that's the same that CA has, right?

The Viking age started in the 800s.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Warhammer 3 is already baked in so they broke the rule already.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Probably because the Pax Romanica isn't a good time period for a war game by definition. The borders of the empire didn't really change much and most of the wars were short civil wars or short campaigns against barbarians.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At least that's only a mod thing here and the devs didn't put something stupid like, say, "Svidjob" into the base game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Taiping Rebellion!

For those who don't know, 王 (wáng) is the Chinese equivalent of king, and Hong Xiuquan, the Taiping leader was a fan of handing that title out to his generals. So that time period really would see a lot of Wangs rise!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a pretty popular show about the Vikings in England right now. That probably has something to do with it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

I hope they have Zhuge Liang as a literal wizard.

The Yellow Turban leaders were basically wizards in the book too, if they go that route.

As someone who wanted a China Total War for the longest time, I'm beyond psyched. I hoped they explore other eras in the DLC since there are several I'd like to see.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope the hero units aren't too over the top. I want the heightened history of, say, John Woo's Red Cliffs not full Dynasty Warriors, imo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

You guys don't get how this chosen era has been romanticized.

Yea I do, and I've always liked the slightly more grounded stuff to the anime Dynasty Warriors take on things. I'm not too worried though, CA will probably find the right balance.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

The best Three Kingdoms version is http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/ where one guy who just freaking loves the book decided to retell it himself in podcast form every week for the last 3 years.

I can't stand this guy's voice, myself.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Turns out that Cao Cao was plagued by an inability to pronounce his own name.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea they probably have more Saga games coming too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does someone have a link to that odd translation that replaced all character and place names with clunky western ones like "Beauregard Washington"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Meh. As someone who has spent a year in China and has made a serious effort to learn Mandarin, I've learned to take the pronunciation issue in stride. My tones are always wrong anyways, so its not like I'm doing it right either.

Now Wade-Giles, on the other hand, bugs the hell out of me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know how you get overemphasizing the L's out of the actual audio clip, its hard to make out either way.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are only 4 real types of English. Think of them as quadrants on a grid. They are: Southern, Limey, Jamaican, and Normal.

(Normal is Midwestern American)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why don't they just give the Romans Italian accents and the Greeks Greek accents?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Taiping Rebellion also occurred alongside the 2nd Opium War.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 15, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The 4 volume Moss Roberts version is worth it for the footnotes alone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

When are we going to start seeing Thrones of Britannia gameplay?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ola posted:

Running these games on a modern electronic computer is an insult to anyone genuinely interested in history. I've ported the 0 A.D. code to a period abacus. Takes about 20 years to load, unbeatable immersion.

Huh, so they finally managed to reduce turn time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saba, you're the realest of all the DLC factions.
"Really?"
No, I love that DANK KUSH!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Theswarms posted:

I demand that ridiculous translation with the double-barrelled western names (that I can't find).

It came up earlier: http://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shogun 2 is one of the best games in the series. Also it sounds like you mean the original Rome because Rome 2 is actually newer than Shogun 2?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You just have to start a campaign for the next one to unlock.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

I have this weird bug where Napoleon won't go over medium graphics. I can play Warhammer fine on high or Ultra or whatever the highest is but Napoleon refuses to even give me the option

You have to go into the preferences file in AppData>Roaming>Creative Assembly>Napoleon:Total War and change the gfx_video_memory value to something absurdly high.

I know this because I just bought a new computer and had the exact same issue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Holy poo poo, I never expected an answer so fast. Just, what is 'absurdly high'?

Put a long string of 9s in there. It thinks your video ram is lower than it is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So you can't defeat Attila by attacking him, assassinating him or beating him in a siege, and he only commits to a field battle when he has a massive advantage, and manually playing a field battle against steppe tribes is just about the most unfun gameplay Total War has ever had.

Try giving him a nose bleed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is it a Shameful Display to mod Realm Divide? I appreciate a challenge but I don't appreciate having to turtle for a decade before hand in order to deal with this poo poo tbh.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So when they stated they were "revisiting old games" they really just meant Rome 2.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought everyone hated matched combat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Clausewitz is what Paradox named their engine iirc

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

EasternBronze posted:

I feel like Napoleon is the most underrated Total War.

It's great but I hate how the artillery always seems to point in a random, wrong direction when I unlimber it in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're, uh, Mediterranean brown, I guess. That's not a bad thing, though.