Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

You can always use this. There's also a version by the same author that completely cuts the agent action budget.

Also, like Slim Jim Pickens said, garrisons are very effective in Rome II, barbarian ones are freaking huge and hellenic factions get pikes/hoplites that can hold down narrow streets forever. You won't kill 20/20 doomstacks with them but they will keep the riff-raff away for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

darkiemond posted:

I love ROME 2 despite all it's bugs and shortcomings. Yes, they released a game that was at best in beta version, but it is still in better shape than most other total war games upon release.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "in better shape" since the game was a disaster at launch, but if Sega had released Rome II as an Early Access title for the first month or two it would now be regarded as a pretty solid TW title, if not one of the best. TWC would still complain about the game of course but they do that every time so whatever.

Anyway, I think the worst thing about R2's release fiasco was giving AngryJoe's YouTube channel almost 2 million views.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

peer posted:

Here are three more if anyone's interested

2) CLGM5-A5Z8L-YW45K

Grabbed this one! Thanks peer! Can't wait to kite some fuckers!

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Play 50 turns of any warhammer game and you're inevitably spammed with 50 copies of the same useless follower

Seriously.

No Mannfred, we do not gnaw on our kitty.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

The factions are kinda neat, but there's not a big variety within archetypes. One Greek state faction is going to be pretty much the same as another (hope you like spears!)
This is only true for a small part of the Greek factions really, like Athens and Sparta, which admittedly are super boring.

The Seleucids for example have one of the most varied rosters in the game, right behind Rome. You get greek phalanxes and skirmishers, sure, but you can also field good swords, chariots, elephants, cavalry, camels, etc. Pontus and Egypt get a pretty decent roster as well. Epirus gets special doggos, War Elephants from the start and the burning hatred of the entire world falling upon you from turn 1. The Black Sea colonies get to play with a mix of horse archers which is alright I guess. Baktria gets a successor+eastern mix. And I think that's about it.

I mean, we're not talking TW:W level of variety here but for a historical title it's pretty alright after all the content updates. Install an Auxiliaries for Everyone mod and you basically get even more possibilities.

As for the other culture groups, eastern kingdoms are good, barbarians can be pretty samey though, aside from some specific gimmicks like chariots for the Iceni or the ninja spaniards.

Oh, and the nomadic tribes are the loving worst. Don't even bother.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

scolbert posted:

Looking at that total war sale, are any of the historic total war games after shogun 2 really stand out? All I remember hearing about them was how broken rome 2 was on launch

Rome II got like almost 2 years of solid dev time after release, and it became a very good TW title with heaps of faction diversity and content if you like the time period (which most people do). The modding community is pretty big also so you can overhaul/tweak it however you like if you're into that.

Attila is fun as well, it can give you a very unique survival horror strategy experience if you play as the crumbling Western Empire. It's overall one of the most atmospheric TW titles and it takes some cues from the original Rome: TW in aesthetics. However, it also had some optimization issues last I played and it'll feel kinda drab if you don't like the 'end of the civilized world' period/aesthetic, with a lot of germanic factions fielding armies of hobos in potato sacks.

Also, unless you're a super history buff the Total Warhammer titles are amazing and they make it super hard to go back to the spearmanii vs spearmanii of the historical titles. Give me laser dinosaurs vs ratling guns and giant hamster wheels of death any day
E: oh poo poo I'm in the historical TW thread (thought it was a question in the Steam thread). My point still stands though :colbert:

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 29, 2020

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Surtha Greek

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Azran posted:

Empire is pretty bad still, Rome 2 is either good or very good now depending on who you ask. It also has the great Divide et Impera mod going for it.

+1 to Rome II being really drat good for years now. It also got a lot of free content along with the DLCs that came out until fairly recently. I'd even say it's a smaller and more niche No Man's Sky redemption story. CA also hasn't had a disastrous launch like that ever since, so that's also good.

Anyway, I got an itch for some spearmanii on spearmanii action. Is there any good new overhaul on the block or is DeI still king?

I'm fine with a new DeI run with submods to take away the tedium but if there's something new around I'm willing to give it a go.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 29, 2021

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Much as I would love Total War American Civil War it would result in the most toxic Total War community you've ever seen in your life.

CA make the game but the Confederacy is completely unplayable.

Alternative: playable but remove all identifying colors, landmarks or flags, rename them "Opposing Force".

Watch the chaos ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So, the Sea Peoples Free DLC for Pharaoh is out today. I know, I know, "daed gaem lol who plays this?" but is anyone gonna try it or has played pre-update Pharaoh? I really like the time period, don't mind the Warham engine (I enjoy Total War both old and new, mostly) so I might hop in at the reduced price.

Thing is, I don't know much about the game itself (didn't play Troy much either) and the discourse online is just muddy and terrible, there's a massive cloud of antihype from uninterested Fantasy fans, the usual mob of TWCenter type disgruntled historical fans and youtubers farming negativity for clicks, and then a small sprinkling of "I played it, it's fine? :shrug: ".

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 25, 2024