Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've re-downloaded Empire and I can say with certainty that whoever said that it is decent now is full of poo poo.

The game still lags, stutters and locks up for a second or so every time I click on something because it has to load tooltips, the AI is still braindead and deploying into a triangle makes it walk circles around me because NEVER STOP FLANKING and my artillery still only ever kills my own guys. Then a cavalry unit got caught on a tree while charging their artillery and became completely unresponsive while the artillery fired volley after volley of canister rounds into the open space that was technically the "middle" of my cavalry unit until I could bring up some infantry to finish them off.

In the next naval battle, I managed to sink one of my own ships by friendly fire and then successfully boarding something, after which another ship decides to help out with killing the surrendering crew by blowing up the powder magazine, setting my own ship on fire.

The message here being: go play FotS if you want guns.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If they do Rome 2, I wonder what they'll do to the elephants that are twice as big as other, properly scaled elephants, the flaming pigs that are single use weapons to rout elephants and buildings an order of magnitude larger then they have any reason to be(Imperial Palace says hi!).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The point is though RTW's Egyptians were almost offensively dumb looking and cheesy to me.

I'm hoping non Roman factions get a little more research and detail this time around.

I vaguely remember a Q&A or interview where a CA employee said something to the effects that they intentionally put in the anachronistic New Kingdom instead of the Ptolemaic Kingdom for the exact reason of avoiding "slightly browner phalanxes" because there were so many Alexandrian factions already and fans wanted ancient Egypt even if it wasn't 100% accurate.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I hope they allow us to make 200+ giant catapults again and put them under AI control when sieging cities once you are rich enough to not worry about repairing every single building from 0%.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Personally I think they should just do a sci-fi or fantasy game (or steampunk or post-apocalyptic or whatever). Historical accuracy is only a secondary attraction for Total War games, at least vanilla ones. With a fantastical setting they would be free to develop both a strategic map AND a unit roster focused entirely on good and interesting gameplay, instead of being forced into awkward compromises like Mummy Returns Egypt or You Only Live Twice ninjas.
Another sci-fi game like Stormrise?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
PCgamer.com has something interesting:

CA posted:

Giving the player the power to pick the loadout of individual units of troops is something else that Creative Assembly are exploring. “There’s no reason that we can’t allow the player, maybe, to change the way those units are equipped” Ferguson says. “For example there’s the cavalry sword – the spatha. In reality that didn’t really become part of standard Roman equipment until very late, in the [Imperial] period – but there’s no reason that some general at some point might not have decided, ‘well lets do that earlier on’.” The idea of history as a sandbox is still at the forefront of Total War’s identity.
gently caress the sperglords, Segmentata armor for everybody from the word go.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Any Phoenician readers here who can translate that graffiti?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

VDay posted:

I don't even want radical improvements, just fixing a lot of the minor "quirks". I'd settle just for making units better about friendly fire. It's one thing if a melee unit's fighting with someone and I tell some archers to rain down arrows on everything, but if two units are lined up and one is ahead of the other, how about not making the back one blindly fire into the back of the guys standing 10 feet in front of them?

That was fixed in Med 2, then promptly re broken in empire since you can't fire muskets in a 70 degree arc. It was only fixed again in fots where gunners would simply give a "out of los" error instead of teamkilling somebody.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm personally wondering about how far they're taking that unit customization idea. If possible I would equip everybody, everywhere with Pilums(Pila? latin is a bit rusty) if they're anywhere near as good as they were in the previous game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Hopefully they'll remember that they hosed up Egypt.
The New Kingdom is in this game because the chronologically correct Ptolemaic Dynasty would have been too similar to other Alexandrian states, according to CA.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Think they got the balls this time to actually have naked celt warriors? just make them stomach churningly hair and cover them with enough woad and nobody will make that much a fuss.
It's not a matter of having balls but of wanting their game to sell as full frontal nudity is a good way of getting an AO, 18+ or equivalent rating and outright getting banned in a lot of places.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I see that there. posted:

Age of Mythology?
I'd buy the highest available kickstarter pledge I could afford at the moment it goes live if they announced Age of Mythology: Total War.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Seeing 18 replies here I expected a new update rather then Darth's annual pre-release ragequit :(

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Didn't Rome have a button to throw a giant minimap in your face already? What are they complaining about?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope all the statues are painted garishly just to see how players would react based on their assumptions on Classical history.
They'd probably sperg out over minute differences in color schemes from slightly different eras.

Speaking of those statues, is there any reason why none of the paint jobs survived and we only recently discovered that they even exist at all?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Which of the big Rome mods have the most user friendly kind of sperg? I mean attention to detail as opposed to replacing all the tooltips with ancient germanic because "realism"

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My stupid accent of choice is the Cretan Archers guy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I never got into fantasy because of TT being too expensive and the games being mediocre. Looks like that problem is solved now.

Unless it turns out to be Stormrise: Dung Age Edition :v:

Does anybody even remember Stormrise?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Koramei posted:

If you can win your first couple of wars as the Shimazu you're virtually unstoppable, since Kyushu is incredibly easy to hold. Shikoku has a lot more fronts to worry about. Not to mention that as the Shimazu you have instant access to 2/3rds of the trade routes.

What clans do people generally play? Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever started on the east side of the map...

My first game was as the Date but I abandoned that because I got sick of having to walk everywhere.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm concerned about faction spread since a line drawn from London to Tunis passes 4 out of the current 5 with only 3 to go. Somebody on the east end is going to be a new Date and whoever gets the Iberian peninsula will be just as hard to dislodge as Shimazu/Satsuma are from their little island.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tomn posted:

Well, for Catholic rulers in the Grand Campaign, priest-bombing is a great way to get a lot of piety for a lot of priests in a very short amount of time. High-piety priests are eligible to become Cardinals. The more cardinals you have in the Curia, the friendlier the Pope is towards you, and the more likely it is that you'll be able to get one of your cardinals elected Pope when the old one dies, which makes you essentially infallible in the Papacy's eyes. Feel free to ignore Papal calls to peace afterwards - odds are that the Pope is just going to laugh and shake his head and say "Oh, that guy, he never changes" and forgive your sins (as long as you don't do it too often, anyways).

If you're not Catholic, it's mainly just a handy way of screwing with your enemies and preparing the way for invasion.

Also, re: Mongolians - sieges or bridges are your best and only bet. Make a handy chokepoint, prepare lots of spears, and let the Mongolians run onto your pointy sticks en masse. Even then you're going to want a good general and elite troops so that the sheer terror of the Mongols don't cause your men to break prematurely.
You don't actually lose relations with the pope by ignoring him, the drop is from getting excommunicated(which ruins your relation with everybody, including the pope himself) or other factions sucking up more to some forgotten diplomat hidden in a corner of the map in a Russian forest.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How come among all the sperg over sword handle minutiae I never see/hear somebody complain about Rome 1's walls and palaces that were most certainly an order of magnitude larger then they should be?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

It looks like they are keeping the Beserker and Night Hunter Units, were those guys a thing in Germania, I thought Beserkers were much later in the Viking Age.
Berserker wear bear pelts and only the commander in the foreground appears to be one. The others are Ulfsarks(Wolfskins), which are lighter infantry mostly known from Age of Mythology and historians today don't see them as a different class any more but rather berserkers that couldn't afford a dead bear.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Arrinien posted:

I miss the absolutely crazy mountain passes and ridges from Rome and M2. Especially in S2, some of the more hilly maps still just basically look like completely flat ground with a bunch of hills pasted in random spots, none of them ridiculous hills you get in Medieval. I thought those made fights a lot more interesting.

Somewhere near the Aztec capital in Kingdoms there is a one tile wide mountain pass and the battle map for that tile is 80% occupied by mountains, leaving a 100-150m wide strip of passable snow that is pretty much a straight 40 degree incline across the entire map. Got to defend it against a full light infantry stack with a pile of cannons, arquebusiers and crossbowmen.

And while the Imperial Palace has some interesting scaling, I'm still more of a fan of all the different walls. Even the lowest level palisade is still twice the height of an elephant. Speaking of which, elephants that are twice the size of elephants. I should reinstall it again and take a few screenshots.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think that the nationwide "we lost an important person/battle" penalty combined with a more specific "you dumb gently caress" message from the senate would make losing characters both more meaningful beyond "oh no I'm one heavy cavalry unit short" and would be A a small flavour effect in regular play B a good counter to funneling half the aristocracy into the nearest Rebel Militia Hoplite.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

In the video the map is basically a long narrow road though
Don't have to fight along it though.
You could defend the slope on your side and have a clear shot and the high ground or push across it, this way you are fighting uphill but have an easy way to shuffle troops behind your lines. Already a better map that 90% of what Rome 1 produced.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's unit variety and there's unit variery. One has 10 slightly different types of Line Infantry and then another 10 Colonial Line Infantry. The other has guys throwing toxic severed heads, flaming pigs, dog soldiers, elephants twice as large in all direction then other elephants(that are fairly large themselves) and elephants even larger then that.

Also, CA's budget has significantly grown since Rome 1 so "balance" and creative unit designs aren't mutually exclusive.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What I mean is that Line Infantry fit with Empire, I don't want to see Line Infantry in Rome. "here's a russian musket peasant so he gets +20% vodka and here's a german musket peasant so he gets +1 bratwurst" is fine if half the world is using similar musket peasants and it worked in Shogun because a samurai from Kyoto and a samurai from Edo are bothstill samurai but a lot of Rome era units have virtually no counterpart elsewhere in the world.

"everybody gets elephants but only countries that are supposed to have elephants get elephants with +1 armor as their faction bonus, also the entire world has legionaries but Rome has legions with 2 extra pila"

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

I don't remember this being the case in Rome.

shalcar posted:

It's never been the case in any Total War ever.

It's like our own little TWC in here. I'm so proud!
Which is why it's a dumb idea to add it to Rome 2 as some people are arguing. Rome 2 doesn't need a "base line" unit with minor variations for each faction like Empire because there was no generic "man with gun" unit beyond Peasants.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do Bow Kobayas kill Nanbans? Are you letting them get close? You should be kiting them around the map. Either way, the best solution is of course to autoresolve 10 sengoku bunes against the Black Ship and use that to patrol circles around Japan and sweep the seas clean.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

concerned mom posted:

Shouldn't those Pyramids be smooth :spergin:
The time between the construction of the pyramids and Cleopatra's reign is longer then the time between Cleopatra's reign and today so those pyramids look sort of accurate after people pilfered the shiny plating and they do look less worn then their appearance today.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I've taken the opportunity to make a historically revision because the current map has maliciously neglected to recognize one of the great ancient powers!

Not enough Bulgarias. You need at least 3, including one that is both Old and Great.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Depending on what direction the elephant falls to, you could just jump to the other side and reduce your fall height by a meter or two by landing on the elephant's flank.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What did Ubik do? I know he was working on a hyperdetailed EU3 mod, then got promoted to full game developer by Paradox, then sacked because reasons but I don't really associate him with "spectacular failure".

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mans posted:

Oh god what is going on :ohdear:
M-M-Monster Kill by that Cardinal in the lower left is going on.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Revener posted:

Playing as Russia in M2TW, it's the 12th century and I've already conquered every last territory using my absurdly awesome cavalry. Raking in huge dollars and batting away the mongol hordes like flies, except now when I try to advance the turn the game simply crashes.

The game is telling me that I've won so hard it can no longer continue.

(turns out you can't have the PC auto-manage every settlement in Europe. :ssh:)

Actually I have a question as well: how do I grind the papal states out of existence?
Take all Catholic territory in the world. As long as there is even one province left in the hand of a catholic, the vatican can freely go into exile when they lose their current province.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
One strange thing I'd wish they'd fix is the guy on the faction select screen not wearing rubber armour that bends as he breathes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Rudi Starnberg posted:

But its leather armour? :confused:

E: ^^Thats the gulf of Corinth, not a river^^.
It looked like a bronze cuirass to me.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anybody know if they announced anything about bringing rome 2 to Gamescom? Sega has a stand but I can't find any details as to which devs are bringing their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

It's only taken 10 years but now we get that cool overhead battle map with all the counters.
There was a button in Rome and/or Med2 that made your minimap huge and cover 80% of the screen. Useless for everything but checking archer range.