Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If I were to cancel cable, is there any way I can watch The Walking Dead? Is it available after a few days on Amazon or Hulu or Itunes? This is important to convincing my wife to go along with me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think what I've decided to do is to cut down on cable to basic cable to get the network channels ($10), buy HBO and Showtime ($20) and then use my roku/xbox 360 to watch Netflix and Hulu. IT's a lot cheaper than the $200 a month I'm used to.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

You pay $200 a month for tv shows? :psyduck:

So many fees involved.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I've been talking about it for years and the wife and I finally ready to cut the cord, but I've got a few questions.

1. My wife works from home sometimes so we need a home phone as our cell signal kinda sucks. Since canceling our triple play comcast package to go to a Double play dramatically increases the phone price, what is the best option out there?

2. Roku, Apple TV, or chrome cast? I'm leaning towards the new Roku, but people seem to really love all 3.

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

4. If I have a friends comcast login, can I use chrome cast to stream the video from my computer to the tv? Are there better options here?

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If I buy a chromecast and have someone elses Comcast on demand information, can I stream it from the computer to the TV? I Haven't been able to find this answer.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thank you guys for all the posts.

What I THINK, I am doing now.

I am 99% sure we are just going to go to straight internet and get a Magic Jack for phone. I have netflix, and I'll probably sign up for hulu and amazon prime as well.

I think we're going to buy the Roku 3 for our main television and buy chromecast for the bedroom.

My wife has one concern: She wants to be able to watch The Walking Dead relatively quickly after it airs.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Magic Jack blows. Do you really need a land line?

My wife works from home two days a week as part of her job and our verizon cell phones are only slightly better than the AT&T service we had before.

I know someone had mentioned somehow boosting the signal, but I'm not sure how

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

This happened to me. So much of it is just poo poo to have running in the background of whatever you're doing on a random Saturday, and of course most of it has dirt-cheap rerun rights so it's on Netflix anyway. I didn't cancel cable just because of how much it cost, I disliked the whole thing.

Still gonna get it for ESPN when college football comes back.

See, for me, it's worth it for AMC. I was having trouble convincing the wife to get on board with canceling cable because she loves the walking dead and wants to watch it live, so I'm willing to spend $20 a month on this just for that show to avoid paying for cable anymore

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Isn't HBO $10 a month with cable why would I pay $15?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What is the difference between XBmC, Kodi, and tvmc?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gyshall posted:

The FireTV had been awesome. With Kodi it has been excellent.

What is Kodi?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So,

We are currently spending ~220 a month for cable/internet/phone. I am in contract with Comcast until August, but I think I'll save money if I break it now anyways.

Current problems (I think)
1. Wife works from home two days a week, so we need a phone for her work to be forwarded to. We have very spotty cell service here, so not really sure of options.

2. We live in a condo so I can't put an antenna outside. Do they work in attics? Really, if there's something that can get me network shows that's good.

I have a smart tv downstairs and a Roku up stairs so that's where I stand for apps.

Basically, my wife needs to be able to watch trashy mtv shows, greys anatomy, and walking dead.

We have Netflix and Amazon, and would probably get sling for amc. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Would you recommend magic jack or google voice instead of Comcast service?

Im paying $144.99 for Hd preferred (goes up $27 in August) 17 for HBO and showtime, $10 for the DVr, $10 for the modem rental, $6.59 "other" and $8.24 taxes.

I believe cancelling cable would be $100 a month because phone goes up once you're not in a triple play package.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, I finally did it and cancelled cable. I have a Fire TV stick w/Kodi on my main tv and a roku in the bedroom. Should have listened to all of you sooner

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So is there any way I can get on trouble for having Kodi on the Amazon Fire? The wife is freaking out about it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is Kodi always incredibly slow?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
DVR Is great for having an impatient toddler. 34 recorded episodes of paw patrol, 16 Sesame Street, and 12 super why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BigFactory posted:

The PBS app on roku is way more than good enough.

And how much TV is everyone's kids watching in this thread? This last page made me queasy.

My son watches TV in the mornings for maybe 20 minutes because it's easier to get him ready for daycare. There is no television at night usually.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 28, 2016