Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

That doesn't look like a great deal IMHO, I didn't click the link till now, I thought it was the choose 10 channels for $30 or whatever they used to do, that included the option to pick ESPN afair. I don't have cable from Spectrum, I pay $65 a month for 100/10 internet, but if I bundled I could get basic cable for $90 total a month I think.

e; if you can get that anywhere with any internet it might not be a bad option for those who don't need ESPN, I was speaking from my place of being able to get a full cable package for the same price.

I'm not sure what you mean it looks like a pretty good deal for 24.99. Its one of the few streaming options that offer TLC (I know) for that low of a price. Youtube TV is 49.99 a month and for sure IMO isn't $25 better vs spectrum.

EDIT: ah ok I see what you mean yeah espn is an extra 12 but includes a few other things.

EDIT: TBF though the add-on for $15 that includes HBO , SHO, Starz, Starz encore , The movie channel is a good deal.

$40 for both IMO is a good deal and gets you quite a bit of premium content.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m in LA and I definitely don’t get all the local channels with an antenna.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

I mean you need internet to run Youtube TV, or any other internet cable package. I was just saying if you are a Spectrum subscriber you can get a full package for the same price as this bundle.

You can? My math must have been off because it seemed like you could but they’d jack the rate up after the intro period?

I could be completely wrong (probably am) but it seems like the 39.99 is a good deal when you take into account the premium channels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone see T-Mobile’s tv service? Lol

$90 a month and you have to use their set top box.

It seems like you get a boat load of channels but no hbo and lol at $90 a month and needing to use their probably poo poo tier box.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still think the spectrum deal might be the best bet right now.

The price is only good for two years though so its probably gonna jump up to $800 a month with no notice when the promo expires.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It's also an additional $10/mo to rent their set top box so it's $100 + taxes lol

Holy fuckin lol I didn’t even notice that.

Just get cable at that point wtf. Also you probably don’t have access to any apps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It doesn’t say anything about requiring home internet that I can see. The “home connectivity requirements” don’t mention it.

Oh nice so the buffering comment is even more spot on.

I just can’t see that though. There is no way their network could support adding all these 4k set top boxes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Sell it in rural areas.

Lol as if T-Mobile has any interest or presence in those areas.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

If anyone is interested in Disney+ if you signed up for even a free D23 membership, they're offering a deal. 3-year Disney+ sub for the price of a 2-year. Not sure if they'll do it for new sign ups.

How much is that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

They ding you for $140 which works out to $3.89 per month over the 3 years.

I guess that’s not as bad as I was expecting. I could see doing that.

Ok I am signed up for a d23 account and just wait for the offer. It’s a pretty drat good deal for 4K and HDR content.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 27, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What if you wanted to do the bundle? Is there an offer for that?

AFAIK from looking at the slick deals thread there isn't one yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom and her husband are coming over Saturday to help me clean. She wants to have the OSU game on to watch. I don't have TV service because I don't need it. I'm thinking of using the YouTube TV trial for this, but if there's another method that won't make me blow that trial that'd be great

Sling? DirectTV Now? PSvue?

Sling has a 7 day trial I know for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, so AT&T is offering a streaming box that only runs AT&T TV and costs almost as much as an AppleTV which will run AT&T TV plus all sorts of other stuff? Or you can pay an egregiously high monthly fee for it? LMAO

Pretty much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

My Dad wanted to get CBS All Access because he found out it lets you stream your local CBS affiliate so he could watch his precious NFL games. (they cant get a good enough signal for their local CBS over antenna). I discovered at least on the Roku platform, even though you enter your ZIP code and pick your local affiliate, the app will prioritize IP Geo-location and use it instead. So it picked one several states away with no way of overriding it. Que a 25 minute phone call to CBS All Access support on a Sunday afternoon. The agent I spoke with acted like they get this all the time.

We truly are living in the future.

It’s also poo poo when you have like YouTube tv and travel and can’t use any of it lol. (Out of the country at least)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Is Playstation Vue really the best bang for your buck?

I currently only pay my cable company for internet only; I tried fubo.tv, youtube.tv, Hulu TV free trials.. using just Safari on a Mac laptop and AppleTV, fubo was like the most trouble free but I didn't like the pricing options.

Playstation Vue looks really nice and it seems like you get the most at the basic level, is anyone using it every day?

I think spectrum tv is the best bang for the buck if you are in their area.

39.99 a month and it comes with all the movie channels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Do you have any info on this? Only thing I can find is their streaming service for $25/mo that includes 25 channels, or their regular TV service for $44 with no movie channels included.

Yeah its that one for 25 and for 15 you can add in all the movie channels.

The 25 channels it covers are pretty much all the major ones and for $25 it covers a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It 100% doesn’t work out of the country though as I learned when I traveled.

Also the ads in the YouTube TV VOD stuff are infuriating. I love to see the same ad 4 times in a row and the same 5 ads on rotation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

I also canceled my YouTubeTV sub. It’s just too expensive for how little I really watch TV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

I've got an Apple TV and I have to ask, does YouTube TV do that annoying thing where the video controls are completely different from every other app? Drives me crazy in the standard YouTube app. I'm another PS Vue subscriber here so I've got some research to do!

Kinda. I really don’t care for how YouTube TV does it’s controls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

buy less candles

No.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YouTube Tv on demand legit has the worst ads. If you watch a longer program it seriously gets maddening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I haven't found them any better or any worse than any other ads.

The ads with the OnDemand streams are dictated by who's distributing the content, the streaming provider doesn't really have anything to do with it.

For example, I get the same cadence, length, and type of ads if I watch American Horror Story from the FXX app as when I watch it from YoutubeTV OnDemand. Though, with the latter, I get 5.1 sound.

Ok but do you typically get the same ad 2-3 or even 4 times in a row for the whole break? I saw that a lot with YTTV. Either that or the the same two ads for the whole thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone tried out Philo? $20 a month for a poo poo load or channels and DVR.

Ah no local ones but eh

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 17, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I guess I'll ask this here as it's a tech oriented question:

On Disney Plus is there a way to do Dolby Vision / HDR on a web browser on a computer?

Your monitor does HDR right? It also has to be enabled in the settings in windows

Also this thread would probably help too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3137721

A lot of it depends on how the video is being played in the browser.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 18, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this has come up before but how is the quality of the HBO content in the Apple TV app vs Amazon?

The HBO go (and now) quality is really poo poo but I want to be able to download shows which you can’t do via the amazon app.

I’m thinking I’ll just subscribe to HBO through the Apple TV app as it lets you download for offline viewing but I won’t do it unless the quality is just as good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the Apple TV is a separate app now.

I’m definitely not subscribing through the HBO app / site because the PQ is straight garbage.

I seem to recall the Apple TV app using its own encoding (like the amazon app) which has drastically better PQ.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Do any of the streaming services have a regular program guide? It seems like they’re all trying to ~disrupt~ tv watching.

I’m doing a Sling trial because it has the channels we normally watch but I hate the UI. I haven’t tried Hulu Live TV yet but the regular Hulu app isn’t my favorite so I’m not holding out any hope on live.

YouTube TV does.

The sling UI is horrible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Guttlesswonder posted:

Comcast is salivating as I am at 900 mb of this months 1gig cap

Wait what??? Lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Just got an email saying Roku is dropping all its FOX channels effective today. Bummer, I was planning on watching the Super Bowl in 4K on the app.

lol why are they dropping them?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

“ Our distribution contract with FOX Corp is set to expire on Jan. 31 so FOX channels were removed from the Roku Channel Store. ”

Oh could you watch them for free? I assumed they meant they were removing the app all together.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just read that the NFL channel on roku will be showing the Superb Owl with no sign in or without having to pay for it.

What kinda owl is it?

Also do you have a source for that? I wanna watch the game but not enough to go out of my way to do so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I’m confused. Why would they remove the app since it is just a portal to the fox content?

Wouldn’t it be similar to Amazon removing the prime app or HBO removing their app?

Or say fox blocking their site if you are using a Mac computer or something.

Or am I completely missing what’s going on here?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone know If you can do the same on the Apple TV app?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw Apple TV in the list when I first read about 4K. However, it won’t support HDR as FOX use HLG which the ATV doesn’t support.

I’ll still be using it though, the 4K feed looked like a true 1080p feed in the sense that it wasn’t compressed to hell and back compared to the cable feed. For that alone it’s worth it. No more picture falling apart during the half time show with fast camera cuts and crazy lighting.

Ok awesome I’ll download the app.

Also what the gently caress is HLG? I’ll google it but why on earth would they use it when I don’t think much supports it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You think there are only two? Sweet summer child.
HDR10
Dolby Vision
HDR10+
Hybrid Log Gamma
IMAX Enhanced
Technicolor Advanced HDR

Anyways, Hybrid Log Gamma is the standard that ATSC adopted and YouTube uses as well as BBC iPlayer. It's going to be pretty much the standard for linear broadcast.

Literally the dumbest thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving huge LOL and gently caress HBO.

So I’m flying out tomorrow and gonna spend about 20 hours total on a few flights. I was originally subscribed to HBO through amazon since the PQ in the amazon app is 10x better than the HBO now app.

Problem is amazon doesn’t let you download hbo shows for off line viewing.

Fixed easy enough because the Apple TV app does and has just as good PQ if not better awesome right?

Well no....

You can only download 5 things at once.... 5. Not even a full season of anything. I wanted to finish the watchmen but nope.

5 fuckin things.

Garbage.

Oh! And the app doesn’t even tell you what the limit is it just says you hit it. I had to google to see what it was. Ridiculous.

Edit: Not that it matters but the Netflix downloaded items cap is 50.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

That's why you sail the loving seas.

Like this is legit not a joke.

I have no problem paying for poo poo but when they do stupid stuff like HBO it’s just frustrating and makes me wanna pirate things.

Also the fact that it’s not even reliable that the app will work when you have no connection.

Like it’s 2020 and we still can’t get this poo poo right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If you want, there is a MLB TV sharing thread in Coupons and Deals. If you join up with a group, you get all out of market and non-national broadcast games for $25 or so.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914848

Also if you have T-Mobile you get it for free (or did the past few years).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh yeah wanna watch Barry

It’s real real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

I love Bill Hader. The HBO apps on the Xbox are rated really low (2 stars max).
edit: The video compression isn't great. Oh well, I didn't even have to sign in.

TBF the HBO apps on all platforms suck loving balls.

The PQ on the amazon app or through The Apple TV (integrated) app are light years better.