Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Channel Master just announced their new DVR+ today for $250.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?Click=62517

A quick preview:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/channel-master-dvrplus-cm7500/

I'm really intrigued by this. I'm this close to buying a TIVO in February when my DirecTV runs out. It only has Vudu now, but if this can pick up Netflix and Youtube (Amazon Instant Prime would be nice too), this would be my one stop shopping device for the TV needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mahoning posted:

Does anyone use a TiVo + antenna? Is it worth it?

I'd like an on screen guide for the dozen or so channels I get, and dvr functionality would be great.

Thinking really hard of getting the basic Roamio next month or in March when my DirecTV contract is up. Bought the Simple.TV to test it, and getting a hard drive to recognize it is tough. Didn't really care for it, and tried building a HTPC with the HDHomerun I already have. WAF was low, so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the Tivo with the lifetime code.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Finally broke down and bought a Tivo Roamio after trying a Boxee with HDHomerun Streaming, a Raspberry Pi with Openelec, a SimpleTV, and a Windows Media Center HTPC (also tried MediaPortal) to watch live TV. Just set it all up, and I'm impressed by how fast it switches channels, and it picked up a few that I've never seen before. Going to play around with it a bit more, but so far it looks good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ShadowStalker posted:

Can the Tivo Roamio do network videos? I see on the website it does "My Movies" but I couldn't find any detail on it playing video from a NAS or anything over the network.

So far, the only thing I've seen is using pyTivo to do something with that. I haven't messed with it yet, sorry.

I have found one major flaw, though. Apparently they disabled RSS feeds for the Roamio line. If you go to https://www.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?def=tco.webvideos.page, there are some podcasts that you can subscribe to, and there's a custom RSS feed input at the bottom. However, it appears that it doesn't work, and if you try to let them know about new feeds to add, that link is broken. That sucks, because I really enjoy the HD interface and the speed of flipping OTA channels, along with having Netflix, OTA, Hulu, and Youtube on the same box (having the Roku with SimpleTV was close, but man was SimpleTV slow on the Roku 3 for me when it wasn't rejecting all my hard drives.) No idea why they took that away.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cardboard Box A posted:

Roku 2 ($50), Roku 3 ($80-90), or Fire TV ($100)?

For Netflix and renting movies and TV individually from Amazon, but NO AMAZON PRIME.

Broadcasters actually have a choice - they can charge nothing which forces cable companies to carry them, or they can charge a fee, which means cable companies are free to drop them.

Guess which one all the networks picked?

I've got the Roku 3 and would definitely recommend it to a cord cutter. Pretty much every service available is on it, and I find that I use it more than my Roamio. It's much snappier than the Roku first Gen in my bedroom.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cardboard Box A posted:

What do Roku users use for searching with the Roku?

The remote itself (on-screen keyboard), but I rarely do this, honestly. I'll usually be in the native app that I'm using if I have to search, but the Roku 3's search does work nicely if you don't know if something is on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dr Tran posted:

What's the best solution to pause OTA TV right now?

Most expensive but most pain-free: Tivo Roamio IMO.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EugeneJ posted:

Does anyone still use those old-rear end giant rooftop antennas to get OTA HDTV?

If it leads to consistent signal quality compared with a Mohu Leaf or whatever, I'd be willing to buy one.

Yep, works great except that I live in the boons between two cities so I get most of the Baton Rouge channels and very few Lafayette ones. Hooked up to an Electroline amplifier and has a beautiful picture.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

OldSenileGuy posted:

I would agree with you if I was starting from scratch. But the Roamio is 500 bucks with a lifetime subscription, which is a lot of up front cash to front when you consider I already have a box for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc and therefore will never use that in the Roamio.

I will admit though, $250 is still a pretty steep price for the Channel Master DVR+, especially when you consider that you'll still need to add an external drive to it if you want to record more than ~2 hours. That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet.

EDIT: Wow, apparently the Roamio is 200 bucks for the hardware PLUS 500 bucks for the lifetime subscription. So take everything I said about it being too expensive, and bold it or something.

Not much different, but you can get the Roamio for $150 on sale, and use PLSR to make it $400 for the lifetime subscription. So $550...I figure that I cut the cord with DirecTV in February, and my bill would be $70-80 a month. If I use it for two more months, it's paid for itself in what I would've spent for DirecTV.

If that rumored Dish "over-the-top" service comes as a streaming package for $20 though, Tivo would be crazy not to add that as an app. As it is, I'm surprised they haven't added the WWE app or Amazon Prime Video yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird Law posted:

Really close to cord cutting and even though it's still a monthly TV bill, which I'm trying to drop altogether, the Roamio just looks too good to pass up in spite of the subscription needed. Are there other options for simple, OTA DVRs that come close to the Roamio?

You could get the Tivo OTA version of the Roamio and pay the lifetime subscription with the secret $100 code. That would run you around $350 all total, I think. Channel Master has one for around $250, but I haven't used it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Don Lapre posted:

You cant get lifetime on the tivo OTA.

You can't? Then that really limits it to me and isn't worth the $100 savings versus the regular Roamio (assuming you'd rather pay it all off in one lump sum.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Does it have to be watched live? If not, Hulu Plus has it the next day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird Law posted:

Really close to cord cutting and even though it's still a monthly TV bill, which I'm trying to drop altogether, the Roamio just looks too good to pass up in spite of the subscription needed. Are there other options for simple, OTA DVRs that come close to the Roamio?

FYI, the Roamio is currently $109 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EEOSZK0/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Panthrax posted:

I've just discovered the Tivo Roamio. Is it as good as it sounds? Basic cable plus Hulu, Amazon and Netflix, and we do watch a pretty decent amount of TV around here. Does the searching between cable and apps work well? It sounds like this might be the easiest way to go instead of getting a spreadsheet out and figuring out when things get posted to the internet, how long they're retained, etc. and I don't have to roll my own DVR for the cable side. Opinions on it before I buy one?

I really enjoy mine when I use it for basic OTA TV. The apps work well, but I find myself liking the Roku 3 more for apps like Netflix and Amazon. Just personal preference. For some reason, my Tivo's Hulu app skips a ton more commercials than the Roku does, so I prefer the Tivo for Hulu Plus. I don't do a lot of searching, but when I do, it works decently.

The Tivo is about the simplest way to go though if you want an all-in-one solution. I went for the lifetime subscription with the PLSR code for $100 off and it's already paid for itself since I cut the DirecTV cord in February.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I think you mentioned this idea before, but if you have a login to a cable subscription (throw a few bucks to someone who has one?) , you can watch Raw live on USA Network's website. I tested it yesterday and it worked. I guess for an HTPC, you'd just need a bookmark or some way to open a browser in full screen mode.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

emocrat posted:

Does anyone have experience with simple.TV? On the face of it it looks great. Let's my ota be added in as a channel on the roku. If you have it, does it work well?

Second, does anyone know if I need to buy the simple.TV hardware, vs just the hdhomerun? Looks like the same unit.

Had the first gen unit and found it really slow, even on a Roku 3. No idea on the new one, if that's what you're asking for, sorry.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Three Olives posted:

Biggest disappointment with Dish Streaming is no news channels. I'm a news junkie, the biggest thing keeping me with cable is access to live breaking news.

According to that list above, CNN is included (snarky joke about CNN here):

ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, Food Network, ABC Family, HGTV, Disney Channel and Maker -- all of which are going to be part of the basic, $20-per-month package. 

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Yeah, no thanks for $80.

Right now, I have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus. Sometimes I'll get the WWE network, sometimes not making my monthly TV bill roughly $20-30 (I split Amazon Prime).

I could see picking this up for a trial month at $20. The main channel I really miss is Food Network, but I could see replacing Hulu with this (have lifetime OTA Tivo as well) and the kids could watch Cartoon Network and Disney for their kid fix. Does Travel Channel still show Adam Richman 15 times a day?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I can't speak for the full Fire TV, but I do know that for whatever reason, my Fire TV stick seems to struggle with buffering on the internet from time to time with its Wifi (and the router is in the next room). Granted, I have crappy internet, but my ethernet connected HTPC in that room doesn't seem to buffer as much as the stick does. It's not all the time though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hadlock posted:

The FireTV has the same size cache but it also has 2GB RAM so you can bump the cache to 1GB without impacting performance (this is where I have mine set to). In many cases 1GB is as large or larger than the file you're viewing.

Without increasing the cache size the default cache on any device is only 30 MB. That's an "M", not a "G". So if your sister is microwaving a hot pocket in the kitchen for three minutes you could end up waiting for the video to buffer.

Edit: if your wifi is sketchy use an app like Wifi Analyzer on your android phone to determine which channels are most in use, then switch your router to use a different channel

You can do this in the default Amazon settings? I never poked around there for it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got my invite as well. So far so good, but it will be interesting to see if we tolerate commercials for live TV again.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has it ever been said whether you had to pay for the sling tv if you already have a DISH account? Could this be used as a replacement for another set top box/DVR?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay for it. You could use this as a replacement, but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a Joey or another DVR, pay the $7 month fee and get more channels if you plan on keeping Dish?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Call Me Charlie posted:

Looks like Sling TV is doing a promo where you get a free Amazon Fire TV Stick or $50 off a normal Fire TV if you prepay for 3 months of service. Kinda ironic since the Sling TV app hasn't been released for it yet but the deal's still worth mentioning. The Sling TV app has been released. http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Digital-Sling-Television/dp/B00ODC5N80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1002997141

I had cancelled when the free trial was over, but this sucked me in. I'm really wanting a Roku 4, but I figured I might as well try the Fire TV for $34 ($84 minus $50 promo) to get access to Amazon Prime music and Pluto.TV in the front room with the Sling TV. Now I have an extra Fire Stick and Roku 1 just floating around.

Anyone else having problems with the Maker channel? Other channels load for me, but the Maker channel just sits there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Is there any reason apart from 4k to upgrade from 3 to 4?

I just prefer the Roku interface to the Amazon one. A lot less cluttered.

The Roku 3 has been out for two years now, so I figure they'll have to be upgrading it soon, especially since the Fire Tv and Nexus Player both have search by speech. But, for $34, at the worst, I can swap out the Fire Stick in the bedroom with the Fire TV and use hard wired Ethernet since the Wifi gets a bit wonky with my Fire Stick.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Ahh OK. Well, if it's anything like the one on the 3, you'll love it. We have apple TV, cable, etc. but the Roku is by far the most user friendly device, in addition to the huge channel selection.

I agree, I really enjoy the Roku 3 we have now. The only three things I don't like about it:

1. No Pluto.TV app.
2. Roku 3 Youtube app has been upgraded recently and it is definitely a step back. Fire Stick still has the old app.
3. No Amazon Prime music support. Just Amazon music, I believe.

All of these things are minor and can easily be added sometime, but it took awhile for Youtube to officially get to Roku again once it was yanked the first time, so who knows?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am thinking that in between the Roku stick and the Roku TV lines, it will still be a year before the new box.

Possibly since besides speech search and 4k, there's really not a reason to have a Roku 4 besides whatever speed gains they'd get with newer chips, and the Roku 3 is still pretty fast. But, I still hope they do. I'd love if they built a Boxee Box type device that allowed local file playback with the Roku interface but I doubt that would ever happen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Huge_Midget posted:

Is there a consensus on which is the better streaming device to go with on this Sling TV promotion? I have an Xbox One already hooked to our main entertainment system, and with the options for a Roku 3, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire TV, or Fire TV stick, I wondered if there was a concrete reason one is better than the others? I have a nice fast wireless AC network, so speed is not a concern here. I'd probably use the device for a bedroom TV, so I was wondering if one stood out over the others. I already have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Tried the Fire TV with the promo, and our family prefers the Roku 3. It's just a matter of your tastes. With the Roku 3, every app is its own ecosystem. With the Fire TV/Stick, it's 90% Amazon, 10% everything else (I get why, of course). For us, searching for Prime exclusive content was easier on the Roku than the Fire TV. Plus, the Roku has IR built in, so I could still use my Harmony.

I already have a living room NUC HTPC running Kodi, but I did test that on the Fire TV and it worked well enough to put away my bedroom HTPC for now and use the Fire TV in the back. I'll miss having access to Prime Music and Pluto.TV in the living room, but we prefer the Roku. The voice search on the Fire TV is great, though, and it is something that I hope Roku incorporates in their next version.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So HBO's streaming service is $15 a month and Apple devices are apparently the exclusive launch partner -- no idea how long that will last.

You would have thought they'd update the AppleTV for that, but nope, just a price drop.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

loquacius posted:

Well guess I'm gonna have to pirate the new GoT season until then. I can't use HBO Go on my parents' subscription because they have moved since the last time I did that, and HBO Go doesn't know how to process that information. By all accounts I can find on the Internet, fixing this would take hours on the phone with Comcast until they find someone to talk to me who knows what the hell HBO Go even is, from my parents' phone while pretending to be one of them. Which doesn't sound fun.

You can't just log in to Comcast's website under their account and use that to authenticate HBO?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

loquacius posted:

I just dropped 90 bucks on a Roku 3 because there's no Sling TV app on Xbox 360; I'm not buying ANOTHER set-top box specifically for HBO :colbert:

The AppleTV reality distortion field compels you!

Seeing that error, yeah, besides calling them to sort it out, maybe you could find someone else who would be willing to let you use their account if you split the HBO bill? But it would probably be easier if more frustrating just to call Comcast and get it straightened out in the long run. Your parents may want to use it anyway one day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Call Me Charlie posted:

A&E, Lifetime, History Channel and H2 went live on Sling.

Although it's kinda funny since it looks like Criminal Minds on A&E is blacked out. "Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV."

That error pops up randomly on Sling on Roku, I've found. It happened to me right before Better Call Saul this week and I had to relaunch the app 3 times before it worked.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wonder if you can buy the new remote for a Roku 3 if you don't want to use the app.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Orvin posted:

Is anyone using TiVo with an antenna here? I have been thinking about dropping cable since the vast majority of the shows I bother to watch now are on the broadcast networks. I do need a DVR of some sort, as I almost never watch tv live.

1. Can any of the current TiVo models other than the OTA, and maybe base cable work with an antenna? It looks like the plus and pro are cable only.

2. How are the TiVo mini devices? Can I use them to watch live broadcasts, or is it only recorded shows? Like can I use them to channel surf in a separate room and not have to buy multiple antennas?

3. Do the TiVo minis really require everything to be on a wired network? Or can I just buy a wifi adapter/router for the rooms with a mini? How about the TiVo stream to make them work with the base model TiVo?

Are there any other DVR devices out there that are plug and play for antenna?

We use the base model with OTA and a lifetime subscription and it works well. I think Tablo is another DVR device, but I haven't tried it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gyshall posted:

Any way to watch the NFL draft tonight on Fire TV/Kodi?

Sling.tv

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Don Lapre posted:

https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

$299 for a tivo roamio OTA /w lifetime

Man, that's an awesome deal considering I spent $300 for the lifetime service alone on my Roamio.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Orvin posted:

I was going to wait until summer to figure out if I could make cord cutting work. But with an OTA box for less than the cost of lifetime service on any of their other devices, I will have to pick one up. Doesn't make the official external drive seem so bad now for extra recording space.

Anyone know if the Roamio DVRs have IR for the remotes? Just wondering if I will be able to make my aging harmony remote work with it.

Mine does, but the Tivo remote is much faster and more responsive than my Harmony.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Never heard of sonarr until yesterday. Tried it out, and that's a pretty slick program. Installed easily on the Synology, pointed it to my folder, and it picked it all up.

I may have spent an hour or so poking around to make sure everything is the way I like it, but I've already uninstalled SickBeard.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tonic posted:

Anyone have a working coupon for NFL Gamepass for this season? My subscription is set to renew and I'd like to not pay the full $200 or whatever.

I wish Dish would allow their Redzone package on Sling.TV. I'd sign back up for that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheScott2K posted:

SlingTV is a thing now. It's basic cable with buffering and is kind of a huge piece of poo poo, but it gets you WatchESPN and the even-more-sports package gets you the rest of the ESPNs. SlingTV's own UI is basically like if someone sat down and said "how do I make the worst channel guide possible?" You get Disneys, Turners, Food/HGTV/Travel, and AMC/IFC for $20. Ondemand selection sucks and sometimes shows or movies end up getting blacked out for reasons of legal streaming rights.

I was wondering how the Sling app looks now. Sad to hear that it's the same, and I agree with your assessment. Maybe they were trying to work around the Gemstar patents (if applicable), but that UI is atrocious. Still, if they offered Redzone like Dish does, I'd sign back up in a heartbeat.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tyson Tomko posted:

I know you can't share AIV with Prime (the main person can, but sub whatevers cannot but they still free shipping and such) and if that's not what you're asking then disregard, just wanted to be sure.

I thought that changed when they changed the terms of service last month so that everyone could share video in a household (an actual household that was set up, not the shared accounts that a lot of people have.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Arkane posted:

I'll be at a wedding on Saturday night, and would like to record a college football game from my hotel room.

Things I have: Laptop (no HDMI input), Antenna, (probably) a reliable signal, external 1TB HD if needed

Things I doubt I'll have: access to play around with the room's TV/cables

How do I get this game onto a laptop/hard drive in the form of a recording?

Simple TV seemed like it might've been a solution, but the reviews on Amazon are nearly universally negative. So I am looking for a Simple TV alternative I guess? Any ideas? Not having much luck trawling the internet for an answer.

Get an HDHomerun, a router (can be local network, you don't need Internet) and use that with PVR software. There might be another quicker solution (USB antenna?), but that's just off the top of my head.

Edit: There is a Hauppage 1191 USB HDTV tuner on Amazon for $75. Never used it but that's probably simpler.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 1, 2015