Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so what's everyone's thoughts on USTVnow on the Roku? The free channels are really good quality, my wife has been a little naggy about getting back cable again, does anyone have an active subscription to them? is the quality on all the channels on par with the free ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is interesting - I'd like to hear some experiences as well. It's a little pricey though - $29 per month is verging on Dish prices.

i hated my dish when i was with directv, also contracts etc etc. it's 19.99 for the first 3 months so i might give it a whirl.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

surrender posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - let me know if I should start a new thread. I'm moving to Africa to work for an NGO for a couple of years, and the project leader has asked me to look into solutions for viewing live US TV over there. As far as I can tell, Slingbox is the only option, and it looks like it should work well, but are there any other products I should look into? They have a reliable internet connection, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

USTVNow on the Roku works pretty well, the tv stations won't be local though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

adreaminsound posted:

It actually justified the expense of an Air to my wife. We use this all the time. It works 99% of the time. Sometimes sound won't work right but a reboot clears that up. I haven't gotten acceptable performance from amazon prime streaming yet but it technically works. That's the last frontier for Apple TV as far as I'm concerned. When that works I am 100% satisfied.

Amazon's webplayer is pretty horrid so it's not you.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sleepstupid posted:

WTF Aereo...For a while now their site has had a banner that said "Coming to Chicago on September 13th!". Well, that has come and gone and as far as I can tell nothing has happened. Not only that, I "pre-registered" for early access and have gotten zero emails from them. No news, no invites, no spam, nothing. :argh:

Add them on Facebook they said they're still testing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So what's the easiest way to get UK Netflix on my Roku living in the US? I've pretty much exhausted the library on the US side of things and I see the UK Netflix Library is pretty drat good.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Killmaster posted:

My wife refuses to let go of cable because she loves to channel surf and "seeing what's on." Are there any good options that would replace that? Possibly something like Pandora but for Movies / TV shows?

you could always go with USTVNow, that's pretty much satisfied my wife when it comes to the "channel surfing"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Is aereo an option for you? If its available that would eliminate an HD antennae

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ShadowStalker posted:

No, but can't you just sign up as living in an area that's covered?

Nope billing zip code needs to match a zip code in an available area

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

well just know Roku does not support setting static ip info so you can't use that :(

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Amazon is offering to long time members $20 a month payment plan for the Fire TV, I almost went for it but no hbo go and ustvnow.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah there is no interest or fees just 20 a month till its paid for, they are going for market share which is worth more than the interest they'd make on 100

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

withak posted:

Can anyone confirm that the voice search doesn't include your Plex server? Googling sounds like voice search works for amazon content only.

Probably, roku search doesn't include your plex stuff either

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Does Fire TV/XBMC have Aereo support? That's what pushed me towards a Roku.

Aereo is being shut down at 11:30am today, they didn't get much time after the ruling

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

USTV Now is still an option, it's just not local news

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

porktree posted:

I don't even know how to google this (seriously, I tried and got nothing except some 3 year old Roku stuff). I've been watching "Orange is the New Black" on my iPad via Netflix; I noticed when I started watching season 2, it would default to Spanish audio with English subs. I could change it back in the app. I checked my Nfx settings and they are all to default to English. I let it go.

Last night my wife wanted to watch "Orange is the New Black", season 1 - playing on my ATV2 (jailbroken with the older OS) - But it's not watchable because it too only plays with Spanish audio. (and I don't see a way; holding down the menu etc) of switching the language.

Called Nfx and they have no IDEA, but gave me a free month. Anyone else run into this?

I don't have an answer but are you sure you didn't gently caress with the wrong Mexican?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

nickreboot has been fantastic, i'm glad they leave in all the old school commercials but dear god these kids are awful at video games!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

So if I wanted something that could connect to my NAS and play whatever is on there without keeping a computer running 24/7, which should I get, Roku 3 or FireTV?

that sounds like FireTV with XBMC.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

supersteve posted:

Any way to get the nfl gamepass app working on a US ipad? Using VPN to use gamepass on my PC and same DNS settings on the ipad.

pretty sure you can set a static dns on the ipad, i could be wrong

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cheesus posted:

My parents are experimenting with moving from Dish to Roku via their phone/DSL company. They have three televisions and are planning on getting a Rokus for each television.

Some might see this as a plus, but not my parents. They'd rather have one remote and the same programing on all televisions (I can also forsee major frustration from three different remotes, even if they label them). In fact, their current dish setup has the receiver outputting HDMI to the main television and coax for the other two.

It seems like there should be a way to split the signal so that the primary TV can continue to receive HDMI and some kind of converting/splitting for the other coax-only input sets.

My research indicates "maybe" with at an HDMI splitter and from that, an HDMI->component converter and from that a component to coax converter. That sounds like a lot of pieces that may not actually work, so I ask, is it possible? If so, does what I've described sound correct or is there a better way?

Enjoy doing all this work only for your parents to get cable in a month because they can't watch lifetime or the NCIS marathon on USA.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm hoping for a Fire TV app at least, this would make my wife an extremely happy woman.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So it looks like Sling TV just sent out their first batch of invites, did anyone sign up and get one? I'm still waiting patiently.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my sling tv invite, the stream quality is very good. I'm just waiting patiently for a fire tv application, you cannot sideload the android app.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

glug posted:

I hate cable.

I'm looking at a $215 bill now after my first year.. phone and 30mb internet (work from home) and the massive tv package with hbo/showtime/cinemax in there as well. I just talked with someone about cutting that down. If the TV pack went down to standard instead of the jacked up one I have, I 'lose my promotional rate' and the price actually goes UP. If I cut tv entirely, internet goes up to 85 bucks, phone to 48, and with taxes and poo poo my bill goes down to about 146.. seriously?

I'm thinking it's unfortunately my only internet option, so I might have to deal with 85 for that, maybe 20ish for a vonage or similar alternative for the phone, and then hulu/netflix/sling+disney would be um.. 45 bucks there.. Jesus I'm still looking at 150 bucks :(

I hate cable.

just get a google voice number and use hangouts for phone

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Oh wow, ok. I think its time I give Dish a call, and tell them to suck it.

edit: wait i've read you can't pause or rewind? Also how the hell do you watch it on PC? I'm at work and don't see a way. This trial may be a short one.

There is an app to download I'm guessing the app has some DRM prevent rebroadcasting

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Does anyone know when AMC is officially coming to Sling TV? We cut cable last month and are running on Roku these days and just picked up Sling, which is fantastic so far, but getting AMC is a huge deal to us. I'm buying what I need on Google Play right now as it comes out, but I haven't seen any word on it since they announced it was happening almost a month ago.

They just made an announcement, looks like AMC and IFC are live right now.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Is there a consensus on which is the better streaming device to go with on this Sling TV promotion? I have an Xbox One already hooked to our main entertainment system, and with the options for a Roku 3, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire TV, or Fire TV stick, I wondered if there was a concrete reason one is better than the others? I have a nice fast wireless AC network, so speed is not a concern here. I'd probably use the device for a bedroom TV, so I was wondering if one stood out over the others. I already have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Sounds like you might want a Fire TV or or Fire Stick, i have both and honestly the Stick is more than sufficient in the bedroom.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Roku has nick reboot

You mean the nick reboot that shuttered it's doors yesterday?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why do I feel completely the opposite? I've got a 100mbs connection and I think the picture looks like poo poo compared to a web dl of The Walking Dead.

i would check the app settings and make sure you have it to set to highest quality, I pretty much feel the same way the picture quality is pretty impressive on my TV.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Welp sling just died.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

No and yes. Also they are encrypting everything so enjoy it while it lasts :v:

Stuff like this is what keeps me working, I got 500+ rooms that have coax to television.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Isn't HBO $10 a month with cable why would I pay $15?

It's $20 on fios.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

HBO Now is cool but it's missing a lot of basic features (watch history, bookmarking system that doesn't just link you to the most recent episode, autoplay, etc) and feels like a rushed product. The password issue is pretty stupid, too. Hopefully they update things over time.

Sounds like HBO Go

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

they need to fix the on demand though, there is no text for the movies just a random screen shot, i've been playing guess the movie title all day.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

tk posted:

HBO/Game of Thrones streaming trip report:

The quality on Sling just wasn't there for me. I guess it doesn't really bother me when I'm watching Property Brothers or some other nonsense, but my girlfriend and I both agreed that the picture quality was noticeably a step below perfect. I'm all hardwired on a gigabit connection too, so it shouldn't be a bandwidth thing, at least on my end.

HBO Now onto my TV via HDMI had pretty excellent picture quality. There were a handful of times that I was dropping frames, but it usually got back up to speed pretty quickly.

So, I'm sticking with HBO Now for the moment. I would certainly prefer that I could directly Chromecast or maybe get an app on the Xbox One, but for the small number of times that I actually plan on using it, pulling out an HDMI cable isn't the end of the world.

I have to agree with this, My wife wanted to watch something on sling during GoT so earlier on just in case I :filez: the first episode and tbh the 298mb download was around the same quality as the HBO Sling stream.

I still really enjoy sling, and so does my wife for the price it's still right there but I will probably cancel HBO on sling once HBO Now is available.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

Everything can be automated now. Ever since I automated my setup I haven't had anything fail, its probably been 3 years.

sabnzbd + sickbeard + couchpotato is all you need, like this person said I haven't changed my setup in forever and I barely have to touch it except for maybe add a show.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'll have to give sickbeard and couchpotato another go, thanks.

sorry to clarify you want Sickrage not sickbeard, sickbeard isn't being developed anymore.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

can you import your Sickbeard stuff into sickrage/sonarr?

i believe sickrage will use your old database if that's what you're asking.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Slowhanded posted:

Kodi does not run on any Roku device. One of the cheapest supported devices is an Amazon Fire stick, which is actually completely adequate for your needs.

i would suggest waiting till at least the big Amazon sale there is apparently a new model Fire TV something on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Crosspost from the Home Networking Thread:

So my wife and I are in the process of buying our first house :woop: during the inspection I asked the home inspector to take a peak at all the coax in the house to see if it was stapled to the studs and unfortunately all of it is so I got to thinking of trying to eliminate all my rental fees (minus a cablecard rental) from Verizon and this is what I came up with.

The house is a two story 1300 Squarefoot Townhouse with the living room and kitchen on the 1st floor. The office where the NAS, Router and everything else will live is on the 2nd floor, is there anything glaringly wrong besides "Just run Cat6"? I decided against doing Ethernet over MoCA, the adapters are really expensive points of failure and it would only solve half the problem of WiFi coverage.

I did a breakdown of cost with ditching the STB and Router from Verizon and just buying a router off amazon + an HDHomeRun. Is there anything hidden i'm missing? I'll probably setup TVHeadEnd or MythTV (is that still a thing) down the line with my UnRAID NAS