Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

tesilential posted:

Cut cable myself a year ago and I was worried about watching the fights. But how do you have "plenty of options" to stream the PPV legally and not the free fights? You mentioned FS1 so you are probably in the US. The same places you can stream the PPV from also stream the FS1 fights.

To stream FS1 legally in the US you need to have a current satellite or cable sub. UFC PPV have multiple options including YouTube and some smart devices to watch legally without a sub to cable or satellite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My 7 days is almost up and I am cancelling. I just can't get over the fact I'm paying almost 3 times as DirecTV on a per channel basis. 15 channels for $20 is nuts. Maybe for 15 channels I watch the most of but there is maybe 4 that I would watch with any regularity and that includes Disney for the kids.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don Lapre posted:

The price really isn't that bad for what you get. They are basically giving you the most expensive channels. ESPN + ESPN2 alone costs around $7 a sub

This highlights a legit problem with a la carte tv and the general public. They think ohh 400 channels divided by $100 a month is how much it will cost per channel, then they pick the channels they want and its still $20 or $30/m

So you agree with me that $20 for 15 channels I would actually watch isn't bad.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's each per 4 people, right?

It's $130 this season and usually split between 5 people. There's a thread that gets started every year in Coupons for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I still not register/subscribe to HBO Now?

It's not out yet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't see why it would have been any different.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

New Leaf posted:

Hulu Plus users: We recently signed up, but some of the shows we intended to watch with it are hosed up. For instance, Bob's Burgers (season 5 for reference), the episodes "jump" to the third act after what I perceive would be the first fade to black/commercial break if it were airing live. There's no mid-episode Hulu ads involved, and if you pay attention to the fast forward/rewind previews, it doesn't match up with what we've just seen. Anyone else ever run into this? It makes me leery of Hulu Plus as a whole now. I've only messed with it on my Roku, haven't watched on my PC to see if it's still doing that..

I watch through my Playstations and have never experienced this with Bob's Burgers or any other show.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are PPV able to be ordered through HBO Now? I'm wondering about the fight, specifically.

I can't say if PPV is available through HBO Now but the fight will definitely not be since it's a Showtime event.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gyshall posted:

Pay for Hulu Plus, still get ads. Kewl.

Same with cable so I don't see this argument. And sometimes I do like seeing the same commercial over and over. It gives me time to figure out what the hell that Clorox bleach commercial means.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Medullah posted:

It just worries me that they are targeted. I get depression medication, erectile dysfunction commercials, and car commercials.

Serious? If that commercial means what I think it means then that ratio hopefully goes the other way.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I thought I'd be able to binge seasons with Hulu but I quiclky found out that episodes are only up for a "short" while. Really sucks when the last half of a season is up, but the rest of the episodes are missing.

Depends on the show. Some are up 5 weeks while others are for complete season. Most Fox shows are complete while CW, CBS, and ABC are 5 weeks. I don't watch NBC so no clue on those shows.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Immobile including arms and basically can only nod for yes/no questions right now. Someone is always there with here though, so they could help pick for her. I have a good idea about what she likes/dislikes so we can always just start a series and if she likes it just keep going. Eventually she'll regain the ability to use her arms and hands after lots and lots of time and therapy.

Sorry about your family member. Have you talked to the other person that is using a Roku there? What have they said about the quality and hooking it up to the hospital's old TVs?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Thanks

A nurse mentioned it. She said "yeah someone here has a Roku and it seems to work OK? You could try that or something similar." I went through considering Chromecast and Apple TV until I landed back on Roku mostly because I dont want to have to walk other people through how to use Chromecast and/or lend them my work computer to actually use it.

Amazon has the Roku 1 for $48 and Best Buy has it for $49. Try it and return it if it doesn't meet your needs, I guess. Worse case is you return it for store credit to try something else.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

badjohny posted:

does starz offer a cable free package like hbo now, or is on on the horizon?

Right now you need a TV sub with someone. I haven't heard anything about them going the HBO route.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

AlmightyBob posted:

Hulu is owned by those networks that's not a real excuse

Networks don't own most of the shows they air. There is a lot to go into licensing a show for streaming. You have to get the network who has broadcasting rights and the actual owners of the show plus probably more people that we have no clue to. If there is music on the show that was only licensed for on-air broadcast that is another hurdle. It's not like a streaming service gets a signature from the CEO of CBS and magically all the content that has aired on their station is available to stream.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've never seen a 3D movie at the theater, but I have a friend who got a 55" 3D TV. I wasn't really impressed. It was like watching a big rear end View Master.

Depends on the TV, I guess. I have a 65" Vizio 3D and if it's not a lovely 3D program it looks pretty good. Avatar looked amazing to me on it but I'm not a videophile so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can rip it apart.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys go through a lot of trouble where a 10 minute phone call would have done it. When I was with DirecTV I would just call every year and get free Sunday Ticket and my $110 package dropped to $60. Don't even talk to the first tech. Just ask for retention and be done.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pillowpants posted:

So,

We are currently spending ~220 a month for cable/internet/phone. I am in contract with Comcast until August, but I think I'll save money if I break it now anyways.

Current problems (I think)
1. Wife works from home two days a week, so we need a phone for her work to be forwarded to. We have very spotty cell service here, so not really sure of options.

2. We live in a condo so I can't put an antenna outside. Do they work in attics? Really, if there's something that can get me network shows that's good.

I have a smart tv downstairs and a Roku up stairs so that's where I stand for apps.

Basically, my wife needs to be able to watch trashy mtv shows, greys anatomy, and walking dead.

We have Netflix and Amazon, and would probably get sling for amc. Anything else I should keep in mind?

There is a link in the last few pages somewhere to see if what kind of antenna would be required to get what networks. There are attic antennas out there. I'm in a valley of sorts with trees all around so can't use an antenna unless I get one that looks like I'm getting stations from Pluto. I do live in a place with lovely cell service but if you have Verizon and a newer cell phone you can use their WiFi cell service through them for free and I've had no issues with it. It's like talking on a landline for myself where before I found out about it I was dropping calls like crazy. No clue if it's something other carriers offer or is possible.

For TV service I am in Charter cable country so I use their streaming service for $20/month. It gets me the major networks, the local independent networks, HBO, plus some cable channels which includes AMC and the main ESPN channel. I have the Netflix account upgraded for more simultaneous connections, Hulu+ (which has some trashy MTV shows for the gf), and already have Amazon Prime so their videos are a bonus. Sling is basically the same but I like the Charter app better. I also got a free Roku for subbing for a month with no contract where Sling you to sub for 3 months if they still offer that.

If you know someone who has DirecTV or a decent cable package see if they let you use their login for apps. I use my moms which gets me all the ESPNs, Fox Sports, FX, MTV for the gf, plus whatever else floats your boat.

One thing I can't recommend enough is to get a Roku, FireTV, etc. for that smart TV. Apps on smart TVs are trash and are hardly updated.

So my total monthly bill is $40 since I don't count Amazon. I got it for the free 2-day shipping and how much I purchase through them it pays for itself in a couple of months.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

When I had DTV I did the same every year right before football season. I'd call to cancel and get the football package and the bill dropped to $60 - $70. I wouldn't even talk to whoever answered. Just ask to be transferred to retention and start there.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

So I cut the cord. Is there a way to delete the Fandango BS off the pre-installed crap that's on the New Roku Stick?

When it's highlighted press the star button and it should have a remove app option.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Farchanter posted:

I'm hearing whispers that MLB.tv is starting to crack down on people sharing accounts, so I'm thinking of cancelling my various sports streaming services and switching once hockey season starts. I'd love to go with Sling, but because Comcast are a bunch of dicks, CSN Philly is only available on Vue. I'd rather not buy any other hardware: is Vue serviceable on Chromecast?

Every year there are whispers of that. The goon sharing thread is half filled with people freaking out at the beginning of every season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheScott2K posted:

Bravo's just been continually ratcheting up the commercials. They're having a contest with TBS to see who can get away with fitting more of them in. So much of cable is so bad.

Are they speeding up their shows like TBS does now?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rad Valtar posted:

For me the only drawback on Vue is no local channels. You get on demand ABC, FOX and NBC which kind of makes up for it.

If you live in some hillbilly town. I get all the locals.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Three Olives posted:

I use Vue on two Fire sticks. Garbage is quite a bit of an exaggeration, it's laggy but still very usable.

Laggy is not usable where every other option had zero lag. Even the Roku with its complete poo poo UI is better than a Fire Stick. Do not get a Fire Stick.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys sure do love your pregnant teenagers.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys have some rose-colored glasses on about TV growing up. poo poo is just as bad now as it has been for decades.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a Roku channel for it? I had read a little bit ago that there was not a Roku channel.

There is a Roku channel.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

Ok so I'm still talking the wife into it because I'm a dork. I have a fire and a roku. Why would I want an Apple TV? I want it just because I love nerding out over poo poo but need to convince her. Any advantages? Better interface? Can you put Kodi on it?

It doesn't have an Roku app so that is one reason why to get an Apple TV if you have more than one TV.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

It did the same thing on the Alabama Clemson game. ESPN has a really hard time with heavy loads. Pretty sure it's not device specific.

As for DTVNOW I'm super glad I didn't do it. It really is cable by any other name. I want true a la carte choices and the big companies are never going to give that choice to us until they really start to hurt. Unfortunately cord cutting is probably a couple of decades away from hurting them that bad since folks like my parents will gladly pay $160+ month until they die.

You know what you have to do.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cool now we have hipster cable cutters.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

And since Verizon is giving away a free year to Unlimited customers, I’m not swapping for that bundle for a year.

Just in time for them to stop offering it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

So I subscribed to Apple TV+ and the interface and smoothness of the Roku app is complete and total poo poo. Image quality is good but god it's slow and the interface is choppy as hell. I bet it runs smooth as hell on an Apple TV.

Hell yeah it does.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

wandler20 posted:

Sports.

That's the biggest thing stopping me from dropping DirecTV. Granted I also have $70/month in credits for the next 10 months. Sounds like I'm SOL when that ends tho.

DirectTV you just call after your contract is up to cancel. They will transfer you to retention who will throw you a bunch of incentives to keep your business. I used to get the football package and HBO free while also getting $60-$80! off my bill.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Grownup Allen gets stuck in an abandoned refrigerator again. Crazy Allen!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

sarcastx posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I didn't see a streaming device megathread:

I need to replace a dead Chromecast and while I was originally going to just get another one, I've run into situations lately where I'd like to have a remote, or where the Chromecast wasn't supported by media apps (I just switched to an iPhone from Android so that is probably why).

I have a Roku 4, and I loving hate it for the following reasons:
*The device is ad supported (that is, there are ads on the home screen for like Fox Business and all sorts of insane bullshit like loving gum).
*The remote annihilates batteries, and came out of the box with an RDIO button that was dead less than two months into the product's launch
*The main menu feels old fashioned, slow and clunky like a cable box

I mention the above, because hopefully the new device would
*Have a remote or controller, or be compatible with Bluetooth devices
*Be compatible with myriad streaming services (understanding that Apple probably has locked AppleTV+ to just AppleTV devices)
*Be quick & responsive, with a nice menu system
*Have zero goddamned ads anywhere in any of the menus

edit: for clarity, I'm aware that there can be advertising within programming, particularly on free streaming services - that's not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about this:

Apple TV or whatever the Nvidia one is called, I guess.

Sidenote: if you don’t want to see Fox News ads quit binging Last Man Standing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I used to head up a sharing group over there. If you’re a baseball junkie it’s a great deal. I was able to watch all 3 perfect games in 2012 live. Infinity better than watching a replay later.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like I'll be searching for a new provider. Baseball is about to start.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you have T-Mobile, they're doing another year of free MLB.tv this year. Sign ups on March 24th. That gets me most of the games.

I have mlb.tv already but doesn’t cover local teams. Good looking out though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This is from a few years ago so it may have changed, but Iowa is in six baseball markets despite not having a MLB team. There were blackouts on home games for the Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Royals, Brewers, and Rockies.

That honestly seems like a perk for living in Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Especially considering the WSox TV broadcast team is far and away the best broadcast in baseball.

Go home, Dog Faced JoJo. You’re drunk.