Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

This highlights a legit problem with a la carte tv and the general public. They think ohh 400 channels divided by $100 a month is how much it will cost per channel, then they pick the channels they want and its still $20 or $30/m

Well if you take it a step farther, when people see the cost of their favorite channels and decide to skip them that would put pressure to lower the channel price. As it stands, ESPN can charge whatever they think they can get away with people people don't have a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's an interesting thought: in Ars' review of SlingTV, the review said this:

Ars posted:

Here's the thing—Millennials and cord cutters alike don't want channels, they want shows.

So is there a business model where channels just go away and we pay for individual shows?

On some level, I agree with this statement. I'm not really interested in all the bullshit a lot of networks throw up. I don't care that FX is playing a bunch of Marvel movies today. I'm really interested, however, in the newest episode of Justified. Same could go for AMC and their premier shows. And the last time our household cut the cord, this is kinda what we did for shows that weren't up immediately on Hulu. We paid for a season pass on iTunes and got to watch individual shows the next day.

But this isn't possible without completely blowing up the current studio system, right?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Except for the model now where it costs like $50 for a season of shows. If you watch a handful of shows regularly that's a ridiculous cost. I watch maybe seven shows regularly, that'd be $350 for one season of programming and only that programming. Maybe I'm trying to cheap out here, but that's not a good value.

Well the current pricing scheme is poo poo. We only made it work because a number of our shows could all be watched on Hulu. The iTunes option was a last resort.

But still, how much do you pay for a cable package a month (plus equipment, fees, and DVRs)? You probably come out ahead given that you could probably get a season pass or two a month for the same cost as your monthly cable bill.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I read 3 months, which wipes non-Apple users wanting to subscribe for GoT. So that equates to an exclusivity deal lasting until the beginning of next season for me. Good job HBO.

Or as you admitted, you'll wait and still pony up eventually. In the meantime HBO will take this large pile of Apple cash and stay warm until then.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you've got a PC, you can still get HBO Now when it launches.

Looks like the exclusive is just mobile and streaming devices. Anything computer (PC or Mac) can still use a browser and watch HBO Now. Android, Amazon, and Roku-type streaming devices will have the wait though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Comcast announced a new live TV streaming service (called Stream) for Comcast internet subscribers for $15/month.

The long-and-short of it is:
-Only available to Comcast Internet customers
-Live TV is limited to broadcast networks and HBO
-Includes access to TV Everywhere (lets you sign in to cable network apps, may allow you to watch live if network allows for live streaming via their apps) and a 20-hour cloud DVR.
-Only available for mobile devices

So it's a more restrictive version of Sling TV, basically.

BGR lays out all the things wrong with it which boils down to it's $15/month for a 20 hour cloud DVR for local networks and access to the TV Everywhere system. If that doesn't appeal, it can usually be cheaper to get a TV/Internet bundle from Comcast and get a lot more usability out of that instead of this new service.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 13, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't toyed with offering their own a la carte streaming package like HBO. They have enough content to justify it and live sports is like the one reason many people still have cable.

Because they make so much money from the cable companies, much more than HBO, that the moment they so much as hint at it, the cable cos will drop them out of the first tier.

They are the main beneficiaries of the bundle system. Something like 3-4 dollars of every cable sub goes their way.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone try CBS All Access yet? They've been in the news recently due to the new Star Trek series announcement but I'm wondering if it's dogshit like Dish Anywhere or good like HBO Now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
loving WBBM in Chicago and its VHF bullshit. I'd love to just hang an antenna in the rafters.

Gotta bolt it to the chimney so I get one of the only VHF stations still broadcasting in the US.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Note that Inspect Your Gadgets does have a thread dedicated to talking about ISPs. Not pimping it just because it's my thread.

It's the weirdest business model but if they actually lowered prices to the same margins as say most consumer electronics, they'd never raise them again and no one would take 79.99 a month seriously.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Mandingo posted:

Any good DVR options to record things with a setup like that?

He mentioned the HDHomeRun DVR solution which actually is a software that requires your own hardware solution for. You need a computer or home NAS to function as the hard drive/storage. I'm actually thinking about going along this route since I'd like to get Live TV through my AppleTV and never change an input (I have a home NAS to use).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've ditched pay TV and turned my Apple TV into my main media center by way of a HDHomeRun and the tvOS Channels app.

I'll preface my situation with the disclaimer that my media needs may not meet anyone else's. It works for what I need it to. What I needed was the broadcast networks for live TV, DVR functionality, plenty of children's content, and a way to watch my own media collection.

My setup is:
-a 4th-Gen Apple TV
-an old antenna in my attic
-a HDHomeRun Connect
-the Channels tvOS app
-a Netflix sub
-the Plex tvOS app

The Channels app can pick up the HDHomeRun's signal and display the broadcast networks. It doesn't have a channel guide, per se, but it will arrange each network you favorite as a separate app/station/channel, show what's currently on each channel, and will advise what's coming up next (and how soon). It also buffers the channel (90 minutes max) your watching so you can mildly timeshift. It doesn't have a true DVR function (yet) but this lets you pause, rewind, and skip ahead.

The developers have really made a first class tvOS app. It's responsive, fast, and uses the most of the platform. It even smartly supports the Top Row function (shows your favorited broadcast networks and what they're currently airing) and makes shaking the remote mute audio (something I didn't even know I missed about using the remote that I now wish was standard). I did sacrifice DVR functionality but the Channels developers are working on a DVR solution (It's not in beta yet so it could be vaporware. But they're actively working on it so hope springs eternal).

Netflix serves up the children's content we needed and Plex handles the local media (substitute and/or add Hulu or Amazon or your streaming service of choice as well as Emby or whatever else is offered to manage local media collections).

As a bonus, if you've got someone with a pay-tv subscription and if you can get them to fork over their credentials, you can access pay-tv content via the cable channel apps from the tvOS app store. If it appeals to you, Food Network even offers live streaming of their network via their app (a couple of others do too) if you've logged in with a pay-tv subscription. And there's always Sling airplayed to the TV if you must have some cable networks.

The total costs were $150 for the Apple TV, $90 for the HDHomeRun Connect, and $25 for the Channels app, all one time costs. Then there's Netflix for $10 a month. So $265 all together. At my previous promo price of $71 a month for Dish, I'll break even in 4 months. But I was already in on the Apple TV and Netflix well before this and the antenna was left in the attic by a previous owner. So I'll make up for it even sooner.

I really wanted an all-in-one solution that revolved around the Apple TV and this is about as close as I can get without descending into home-brew solutions. It's amazing to be able to go from live tv to YouTube to Netflix to Plex to games with a push of one button and a swipe.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you have the sling free trial, that should count towards accessing the NBC Sports/Olympics app. It lets you watch any live event.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Plex just announced a DVR program as part of their Plex Pass subscription service. Works with HDHomeRuns to record OTA programming (or cable if you've got the one that can use cablecards). The only hitch so far is you can't view a recording in process (and the small cost).

Still, worth a shot for $5 if you've got the equipment already.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Except the pbs kids app has only 4 full episodes of each show at a time. And the episodes are abridged so they're shorter than their broadcast versions.

I like the PBS Kids app but when you have a toddler, variety is the spice of life.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Kinda curious: is there a phone or web app that keeps track of TV shows. Ideally, I'd like to enter a bunch of shows I watch and have it automatically update when there are new episodes, allowing me to mark things as watched when I get to them.

I use a variety of things like Hulu, Netflix, individual show subscriptions on Google, and On Demand at my parents' house and it's hard a) knowing when a show airs (Bob's Burgers came back this week!) and b) keeping track of what I watched.

On iOS, Television Time is what you're looking for.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It also depends on the show. I know a ton of friends and co-workers talk about the really big shows like Game of Thrones.

I suppose it depends more on your peer group. One older co-worker loves chatting about Dancing with the Stars the day after with some other older ladies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's seen a couple of updates. Still lacks the ability to watch live TV through Plex itself and the ability to join a recording already in progress. I've also noticed it has trouble if another program is accessing the HDHomeRun (it can't see that Tuner 1 is in use) which is a known issue they're working on (it may also be an HDHomeRun issue).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Channels app for the AppleTV added a grid guide this month.

Also, I have to cut TiVo a bit of slack. Not only were they way ahead of their time, they also managed to make it through the cable giant to essentially copying their technology nearly wholesale. There's patent trolling and then there's actual protection of stolen IP.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It is called pre-paid for a reason.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Anyone using an HDHomeRun with an AppleTV? Thinking of picking one up to supplement the DirectvNow service.

Yup. I've got an HDHomeRun Connect with the Channels tvOS app. Works great and the devs are still actively working on it. It even has a large buffer so you can pause live tv for up to 90, maybe 120 minutes.

They're also working on a DVR solution but I'll believe it when its out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Attic antenna is a good idea though, maybe find a way to run coax 1 floor down? If you don't have some up there already. It doesn't need to be next to the HDHR.

Yeah, there's no need to worry about the HDHR being too far from the antenna unless you are right on the edge of reception or your antenna is old and junk.

From my own experience, I had trouble getting consistent signal from my old attic antenna. It was really old (from before I bought the house) but my cable run wasn't very long during testing. I replaced it with a new antenna (same location) and got perfect reception. The cable run for the house ended up much, much longer but the signal is still great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tngffl posted:

Is there a general consensus of best indoor antenna? I have been poking around with cutting the cord and went out and picked up the eclipse indoor 50 mile amped antenna. I got amped due to others in my area struggling to get CBS (I am in northwest Indiana). With this I am still struggling to get CBS. It has detected 61 channels. Would something like the mohu leaf 50 mile work better?

This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dir...1WGGMDE2M0NXTCP

flosofl posted:

It might, but it might be just a lovely/noisy signal from CBS.

CBS out of Chicago is the worst (if that's who you're going for). They have the weakest signal out of all the transmitters. I'm about 20-23 miles from the major network transmitters (they're all concentrated downtown) and the back wall of my house is almost due west (I'm about 5% off). Every station rocks a solid signal *but* CBS unless I put the leaf antenna on the window, and even then I still get interrupted broadcasts. I'm starting to think there's a skyscraper in the way or something.

Welcome to attempting to get CBS turned in around the Chicago area 101. CBS Chicago (WBBM), while they have a UHF repeater that's super low powered, is one of only (I think) three two broadcasters still mainly using VHF to broadcast. VHF is terrible at penetrating walls/floors so the only way you can get it is really an attic or roof antenna. Enjoy!

Your antenna may pick up CBS Chicago but you'll need it as high and as close to outside as possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm cross-posting this from the AppleTV thread. It's definitely more limited as the Channels software is available only on AppleTVs but it works with the same hardware Plex's DVR uses so I'm sure there's some overlap here.

Channels is a tvOS app that works with HDHomeRuns to bring live TV to an AppleTV (whether its OTA or via CableCard). The original Channels app is really, really well done. It already allowed for pausing live TV for up to 90 minutes (no NAS/extra hardware required) and a super easy interface. The Channels devs have just released a public beta of their new DVR software. These are my impressions.

As a whole, the Channels' DVR software is much, much more polished than the Plex DVR.

You can schedule recordings from within the Channels app or from the webui. All the features I'd expect from a cable company DVR are present (record just this episode or the seris, new or all, how many to keep, start and end early, etc). You can schedule recordings from the channel grid or the Search tab (voice dictation makes this super easy). This is one of my major gripes with Plex since they don't have a channel grid and you can only schedule recordings from the web portal. Channels puts it all in the app on the TV so my wife instantly knows how it works.

My other major gripe with Plex's solution is the inability to join a recording already in progress. Last night, I was able to do just that with Channels. It took about 20-30 seconds to start playback but once it started, it played flawlessly. I did notice intermittent issues jumping forward and backwards though. Sometimes it was instantaneous, other times it took around 30 seconds to resume playback. Not sure what's happening there. I've yet to play back a recording that's already completed but I should have results from testing that soon. The DVR also has a built in commercial clipper for completed recordings I've yet to test.

Setting up the software on my NAS wasn't quite as smooth as I thought it would be. Once installed on your PC/NAS, you'll get a prompt on your AppleTV to go to a webui to access the DVR software. It'll make sure you're subscribed and it had some trouble at first syncing up my subscription. But it took less than 5 minutes for the Channels' service to relay my current subscription to my DVR install.

I should note that I'm using a QNAP TS-251 NAS for the DVR software. It has more than the required specs but is by no means a CPU powerhouse. It's not even the model QNAP advertises for transcoding media playback (that'd be the TS-251+). On my NAS, Plex's DVR can't playback recordings to an AppleTV without optimizing (transcoding) them first. Channels is using some combination of the AppleTV's hardware and my NAS to do the playback (of recordings in progress and completed recordings) and I didn't notice any drop in video quality. I should also note I'm doing this with OTA signals into a HDHomeRun Connect (the non-transcoding HDHR model). This would, presumably, also work for cable if you have the HDHR Prime which you can drop a CableCard into and use as a cable box replacement.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. There's some obvious avenues for improvement. There's no support for the DVR for the iOS version of Channels (an update is promised). I haven't investigated how to get offline copies of the recordings so Plex has an advantage there. Plex also has the advantage of offering other services with their Plex Pass membership whereas Channels just offers the DVR. But Channels' DVR solution is more complete and user friendly than Plex's and if you're heavily invested in the AppleTV ecosystem AND looking for a DVR solution, it's totally worth checking out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

Hulu just announced their "live" TV service, aka Cable with buffering and a different combination of features and restrictions from the competition. Old boss, meet the new boss.

https://www.hulu.com/press/hulu-launches-new-live-tv-streaming-service-adds-channels-from-scripps-networks-interactive

It does have the distinction of having access to Hulu's back catalog of shows if you're into their library. And you can pay just a bit extra each month if you want to opt into their ad-free(or ad-minimal) tier.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'll believe it when I see it in the App Store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I wonder how much longer it'll take Apple to make a 4K/HDR AppleTV

Apple would need to have 4K/HDR content in iTunes ready to go to make it worthwhile (and charge extra for iTunes purchases/rentals).

How much 4K/HDR content is out there besides Netflix?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I'm just curious as to the current availability of 4K/UHD/HDR media in general.

A quick skim of Amazon shows mostly new releases are available in the format but those are mostly just 4k/UHD releases, not any special HDR spec (unless I'm misreading).

It's another chicken/egg problem. I assume Apple will eventually support 4K and HDR media once the market matured enough to make sense.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Reading over the specs of this, I wouldn't be thrilled to fork over $250 for a DVR that only has 64GB of internal storage. And then there's a $5 a month subscription cost for the guide data.

For that kind of money, you could get a decently versatile NAS setup with a Plex-like DVR system.

Well, maybe not. It might be worth it if you don't want to buy a separate tuner like a HDHomeRun since it has a dual tuner built in.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Later this year though. Wouldn't surprise me if it'll launch concurrently with a new 4K-capable AppleTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Connect if all you need is the raw feed. Extend if you need the feed transcoded.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Is the rumor still a new AppleTV will be announced in September with the new iPhone?

Generally, yes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Your cable provider has to enable support for the Apple Single Sign-On program. If your provider is present in Apple's list, you sign in, let your cable co. confirm to Apple your a customer, and then it stores that info in iOS/tvOS.

You can then either 1) start downloading channel apps from the App Store, or 2) Click the "Find TV Apps" (or whatever it's actually called) and it'll list the apps you can download and sign in to. You have to "Sign in" in each app but if you've got the Single Sign-On turned on, then it quickly gets you logged in without changing screens or needing codes.

It sounds like your situation is temporarily hosed due to the Charter/Spectrum deal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there a website or service where you can sever the channels you need and it’ll spit out the streaming service that delivers those?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Is there a website or service where you can sever the channels you need and it’ll spit out the streaming service that delivers those?
That's close but appears out of date now.

Recode just published this piece, which while less elegant than I'm looking for, communicates more information than the WP article did.

So for instance, my wife needs Hallmark, Freeform, and Food network. According to recode's site, all three are available from DirecTV Now and SlingTV (and will still show the other services which only have two of the three).

It does note that with SlingTV you'll have to add an extra package but unhelpfully can't tell you exactly how much ($5).

Same goes for if I add Cooking Channel and it spits out a $50-96 for DirecTV Now.

Still, it works at least to show you where you can get all your must-have channels together.

Ideally, it'd be great to have a form to enter your must-have channels/shows plus other features you're interested in like DVR or VOD in addition to the device type you'd be accessing these services from and just have it spit out SlingTV Blue for $40 a month.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I can say that your only non-buggy and non-freezing streaming box-thing solution is an AppleTV. 4k version or the model before it.

I got a Roku Streaming Stick, but it was choppy, so I got an Ultra instead. Hung every so often, only froze occasionally. When I got an ATV it was a completely different no-fuckup experience, and since it has Amazon now it's pretty much the best option.

Don't forget, if you go the Apple route, their refurbished units are $20 off and practically new. (Currently only selling the last-gen, non-4k model).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As it was an omission when it was first released, an update to Amazon's Prime Video app for the AppleTV enabled 5.1 sound for their UHD content. The update also notes 5.1 will be coming to SD and HD content for both AppleTV models in a forthcoming update.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For anyone with Google/Android TV and Fire TV devices, Channels has launched on both platforms. It was previously an iOS/tvOS-only affair.

Lets you watch OTA signals from an HDHomeRun. Provides a guide and pause/rewind/ffwd capability.

I don't know what magic sauce they use but it runs silky smooth and consistently on my AppleTV. When I had the Plex live TV/DVR service, it came nowhere close to being as good a solution as Channels ended up being.

Looks like, right now, only live tv is available. However, I'm sure they'll be porting over their DVR solution soon (requires a NAS/dedicated machine of some type along with an $8 monthly fee).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Anyone have experience with WoW! Internet? They laid band new lines in my subdivision last year, and they are offering 1GB for cheaper than what I am paying Comcast for 150MB. I tried to researched them online, and it is not great. That said I realize a lot of the reviews seem to be focused on their old lines or lines of companies they took over, and it seems their TV service is pretty unfriendly. It is hard to distinguish if their new lines are better.

I have WOW internet service and it's been pretty great. But then, my service with Comcast was great before too.

I find that, at least in my area, Comcast was the service for the masses and WOW was the service for olds. Primarily that meant when I had to call up technical assistance to register a new cable modem, it took them a second to realize I didn't accidentally get myself to their line via a phone tree mistake.

Also, the times I tried to call to get the promo pricing back, they called my bluff. I ended up getting a small discount but nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I like to use my Apple TV exclusively for TV. I have a HDD with about 2TB of movies and junk on it that I have set up to stream to my ATV with an app. It's great.

I'm getting an HD HomeRun and am gonna use, I guess, the Channels app to use it on my Apple TV. What are my options as far as DVR goes? I've heard rumors on the lips of townsfolk that I can use Plex somehow to DVR poo poo, but I'm still clueless as to how to do it. I really don't want to spend $8/mo for DVR through the Channels app.

e: I should add, I don't mean how do I subscribe to it-- I mean, wouldn't I need to set up a plex media server?

For an AppleTV with an HDHomeRun, you've got two options for homebrew DVR: Plex if you have a Plex Pass subscription or Channels with their monthly subscription.

While I haven't tried the Plex DVR since the beta years ago (and didn't really enjoy the experience), I can't say enough good things about Channels.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 11, 2018