Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Martytoof posted:

For me it was literally

- drop it into plugin directory
- go to plex server config and set HDHR IP in plugin settings
- watch tv

If you want to set up zap2it TV guide thing then there's more to do, but tbh I didn't bother just yet.

I did the zap2it guide data thing too. It's a shame Plex's channel interface isn't more versatile, file->folder really doesn't lend itself to TV channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It's also worth noting that unlike the FireTV, the Shield can handle 720p/1080i MPEG2, so if you have an HDHomeRun you can get live TV on it. The Nexus Player also has this capability but like most things the Nexus Player attempts, it works maybe 80% of the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Does the NUC have a decent remote-driven lean back interface for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ESPN, etc or do you have to use a web browser like an idiot?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Like I said it all depends on your use case. I use a Fire TV on one of my Tvs, and it's great, but the only thing it has over the NUC is maybe ease of initial setup. After you set it up, it's literally just as easy to do the Netflix app and Kodi on the NUC as it is with the Fire.

Anyway, I thought I was having this conversation in the Kodi thread.

You don't have to buy the Fire a Windows license, or worry that development on the Fire or Android Netflix app will develop a sudden case of "gently caress it" like the WatchESPN app for Windows and just quit spending resources updating it. I run Windows 10 and have the Hulu, Netflix, WatchESPN, and Plex apps off of the Windows App Store - they're all fine for playing video on a side monitor, but they're not something I'd want to run in my living room.

I really wouldn't recommend an NUC to anyone looking to use legal streaming services. If it's all about Kodi and playing Linux ISOs, fine, get a NUC, but there's just no reason to do that if you're doing streaming services when the Android (and AppleTV) boxes are actually made for that and can play back your Linux ISOs anyway. I've been doing this stuff for a long time, and we're really past the point of sperg solutions being worth the trouble. The Shield being so good, the rise of Plex, and MS putting out an OTA tuner for the XBone a lot of people own anyway have made HTPCs kind of pointless.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get Google Play Music on a Roku 3?

Switch inputs to your Chromecast

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

hollylolly posted:

Bear with me as I talk through this - in theory I could get the HDHR Extend and stream the OTA live channels to a computer with Windows Media Player and use that to record shows which I could then cast to either of my TVs. I can also use my Xbox One for Sling TV for our main downstairs TV (I think). I'm not sure how to record the shows from Sling TV with this set up.

I'm not worried about another box for the upstairs, being able to cast video from the computer or using it's built in apps for netflix is probably enough. Sorry, there's just a lot of options and I don't want to spend money on separate boxes and systems that we don't necessarily need. BUT if it makes more sense to get a Roku/Shield and use that to funnel everything through...? :shrug: Or if there's a simpler way to facilitate the downloading of content from the internet to a place I can watch it on my TV...

Honestly you could save yourself a lot of hassle with the OTA DVR by just getting a Hulu subscription. None of the HDHomeruns have decent Chromecasting ability, not even the Extend (whose transcoder makes 1080i channels look demonstrably worse). You could use one of the pricier boxes like a ShieldTV or ATV4 that support MPEG2 for live TV, but a DVR for it will still kind of be a Rube Goldberg clusterfuck and god help you if you have a wife you intend to use it too. Your Xbox One can see the HDHomerun on the network but if you want to watch OTA TV on the Xbox One just get the tuner for it so you get the guide.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VCR+ was the poo poo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

The Kodi app for HDHomeRun is actually pretty good these days, with the major exception of DVR support (which is in beta). The EPG is still pretty limited though, something like only a couple hours to a day ahead depending on your location.

From your description it sounds like Kodi+HDHR is still trash

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kodi's built in live TV framework is trash too, honestly. I can't imagine handing that poo poo to my wife and being like "enjoy television!"

TiVo, Xbone with tuner, or plug an antenna into your TV. Hopefully AndroidTV adds a record button to Live Channels someday.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Also Kodi is basically a bunch of nerds butthurt over Plex actually being used and liked by normal people at this point

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kodi's for local streaming and illegal add-ons. Plex is for mobile streaming and stupid people who don't know about upnp.

Plex is for people who don't want to reencode every piece of media they own for upnp to work on all their devices

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

You shouldn't have to reencode anything.

Must be nice living in the My Devices All Support Every Format utopia. Shame that you're sullying said utopia with trash like Kodi.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, it's awesome in Android land :c00lbutt:

They make Plex for Android. You should use it. It's like if Kodi wasn't made for people who wear cargo pants in public. Having its icon on your home screen doesn't legally qualify as an abstinence pledge.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Besides, "Kodi + usenet" is just code for "whatever-media-interface-you-want + usenet"

I'm pretty sure the people asking the question about what to use haven't cracked that code and just hear "Kodi+Usenet" as "Kodi+usenet," which is terrible advice for pretty much anyone who just wants a thing to watch their shows on.

quote:

This is why you use Kodi with Emby. Emby maintains the database and does transcoding and streaming to mobile/remote devices while maintaining watched status in sync with your Kodi database. It's amazing and seamless.

It requires you to configure two pieces of software to get the same result as this one media server that's supported by basically every streaming box (even the Apple one) but other than that it's amazing and seamless. Pay no attention to the seams!

I bet you think everyone should be using a NUC too.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 16, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

It's content is like bit torrent but for cool kids. They always used to say "Don't talk about Usenet." But its well known enough that its always getting DMCA'd, so you have to sign up for secret Dutch websites to get you the secret encrypted indexes.

Usenet is something people with Linux desktops use instead of torrents+VPN because they're dorks. They then suggest it to other people because they're idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Stop posting.

Like, you may or may not have a valid point but you communicate like Nick Burns. (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11524)

Which is ironic because he's the type of guy you're calling others.

Nick Burns uses Usenet and hates Plex for reasons that he struggles to explain without using the word "Anime."

Remember when this thread was about how to live without cable and not about how to cancel cable and pirate all the content you want?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

No one here hates Plex, but there is someone here who hates Kodi!

Someone call the burn unit! :drat:

Also call the trash collectors to go swing by wherever Kodi comes from.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'd like to be IRL friends with whoever bought me this title

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

quote:

I'll preface my situation with the disclaimer that my media needs may not meet anyone else's. It works for what I need it to. What I needed was the broadcast networks for live TV, DVR functionality, plenty of children's content, and a way to watch my own media collection.

That may be the least-unique use case for a cordcutter I've ever seen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

he told me that there was absolutely no signal in that room and he already tried moving it out of the room and outside and everywhere.

When I pressed for details he admitted he had tried none of it and the antennae he had was a 20yr old POS.
I went to best buy and bought the mohu leaf and it worked easily

loving olds, I swear

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Nvida just announced today that they are partnering with Plex and that the Shield TV can be turned into a full Plex server.

http://www.androidcentral.com/coming-nvidia-shield-tv-32-update-brings-full-stand-alone-plex-media-server-support-and-more

Holy poo poo. So Shield owners can use Plex without having to keep a server PC on. That's big.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What does "fast" matter in this context?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The ShieldTV is doing the transcoding in this context.

Or in most cases direct playing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"There are NASes that you can run Plex on" isn't new or interesting information. "You can run Plex server on the Shield and have it pull the media from whatever network location" is, and that's what everyone else is talking about re: cheap and lovely NASes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Buy it on Google Play, pay for it with Opinion Rewards, watch it on a $35 Chromecast. gently caress Amazon video.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Isn't all that already on Sling anyway?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

So is there any way I can get on trouble for having Kodi on the Amazon Fire? The wife is freaking out about it.

Use private trackers if you're torrenting. Streaming plugins don't seem to have any legal downside for users so far.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Can't you DVR it on vue/sling?

They're not broadcasting it. They're using it to push CBS All Access.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

MrYenko posted:

NFL and DirectTV's contract was renewed in 2014, and runs through 2022. Pay the man.

AT&T/DirecTV will keep paying whatever the NFL wants for that poo poo. Selling Sunday Ticket to bars makes them so. much. money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

My pet peeve is that it doesn't power up my PS4 but that's due to Sony not allowing third party devices access to it. They let them power it down, just not up. Go loving figure, thanks Sony. You have to reach for a controller to turn it on which kind of defeats the purpose if you want to simply use a remote and launch some streaming apps. The real kicker is that they allow their official first party remote to do it.

That is...the most dickish poo poo. Microsoft gets lots of credit for horrible decisions but every time I peek over at the PS4 it's like "here's a whole new list of stupid bullshit!"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Everyone in this thread has watched a Let's Play of a game their parents wouldn't buy them 20 years ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Nope. Watching other people play games is terrible.

How far do I need to push this to get a fresh custom title? I don't even like Let's Plays but this one's getting old.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno, I didn't give you the one you have.

Really?? Who the gently caress...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If anyone cares, I've got an :effort: post going in the Plex thread about my experiences using Plex DVR with OTA channels. It's early software for sure - improvements have already been made in the last 2 days - but if you like recording TV shows but live in a post-Windows Media Center world it's worth looking at.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Three Olives posted:

At my last building party I was chitchatting with a few neighbors about cord cutting and they were worried about local channels and not being able to get an antenna. It just so happens that we have an antenna on the roof that I'm pretty sure I am the only one using right now that still works perfectly and you can switch your cable wiring too.

Turns out you can get pretty awesome television reception with a 24 story tall TV antenna. :lol:

I live in a neighborhood that was built in 1968 and one of the houses has this bigass rooftop antenna. I want to hook it up to my HDHomerun real bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That's the real lovely thing - in the era of Peak TV and there being a million good shows I'd like to catch up on, if I have cable I just end up watching poo poo like House Hunters because "it's on."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plex also has a DVR I would currently classify as "adequate."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

LOL if you don't use one of these bad boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

You can get True Lies on this poo poo but not on BluRay

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but MPEG2 blu-rays suck.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the non-anamorphic US DVD that has the widescreen and fullscreen versions on the same side of the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cheesus posted:

We have Orange because my wife wanted Bravo. However, according to her, they show more commercials in Sling's streaming version.

Bravo's just been continually ratcheting up the commercials. They're having a contest with TBS to see who can get away with fitting more of them in. So much of cable is so bad.