Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, I could live with a Leaf (and did for a time) indoors. However, I live in the Chicago area and the CBS affliate here is one of only three still broadcasting in the VHF band. So if I want all the broadcast channels (including the one that carries the NCAA tourneys, other half of NFL games, and some other occasional stuff) I gotta mount an external.

But once that's done, I'll have no problem getting the signal (from the 6th tallest building in the nation).

This is may sound a little odd, but have you tried hooking your tv up to the current cable jack in your place and switching the tv to Antenna mode? I'm doing it in Seattle 5 miles away from the Antennas and in the bottom of a valley and I receive a perfect signal on all of the major network stations. I probably get 20-25 channels total without every having to buy an antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bigass Moth posted:

I am looking at getting an attic or roof antenna to provide coverage for my entire house instead of using mohu leafs on every TV. I already have coax to every room and split in the basement as the previous owners had cable. If I hire a professional to install the antenna, what is a reasonable cost and expectation of man hours to have one installed and calibrated?

I'm not super familiar with antennas but wouldn't you need some sort of power booster in order to provide a signal to multiple TV's from a single antenna? I never had an issue with a direct line to 1 TV, but I'm not sure about hooking up multiple TVs to the same antenna.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

For <100 bux is a raspberry pi 3 the best thing I could get for a cheap media PC? I just want something separate from my PC that I can use to watch what I have stored on my network.

Thanks in advance.

I would say Raspberry Pi, Amazon Fire TV or Apple TV would all be options. I've got a Fire TV with Kodi and it works out great for my family.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Pillowpants posted:

So is there any way I can get on trouble for having Kodi on the Amazon Fire? The wife is freaking out about it.

There is nothing wrong with Kodi itself. How you get the content for Kodi could potentially have some implications.