Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the Roku so far overall.

Edit: Yeah, this thing does nothing the 360 couldn't do just as well and Plex is terrible. I'll just wait for the Rpi, this piece of poo poo is going back tomorrow.

I don't have one personally, but I wouldn't hold my breath about the Rpi being better than the Roku. 256mb RAM. Like everyone else says, get a pre-built system or look for a used Revo1600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

adreaminsound posted:

If you have a newer Mac computer you can do screen mirroring of your entire desktop to an Apple TV. I watch web only Hulu and CBS stuff this way. In the next update you can extend your desktop to an Apple TV so it gets even easier to throw stuff up there. Granted that is an expensive workaround if you don't already have a Mac or weren't already getting one.

I don't know why I never thought of this. Thank you!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I've been sans cable for a month and change now and it's working out pretty well, but I'm still trying to break my habit of just having "tv on in the background" to provide white noise; That's about the only thing I miss. Thinking of going with something like Spotify so I can have music on in the background instead. Wonder if it'll fill the void to the same degree.

Same thing here. I've just been building a habit of turning my stereo on. To help with the indecision of what to "listen" to I put on a local radio station that's one of those no dj "we will play anything" stations. They play a wide enough variety I don't get bored with the same 5 top 40 songs.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Depends on what you want. I've had it since it came out (currently on a T-mo promotion). It gives me my sports fix between ESPN and TBS. what little I have ventured out of those channels, the lineup seems to suck. I haven't been on cable/satellite for over 6 years so I'm not sure if that's representative of the channels though.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

TheWevel posted:

For those of you using streaming apps, how conscious are you about data usage? My wife leaves the tv on for hours at a time and we're in one of those Xfinity capped data markets.

Very. I log in every other day to check where we are. I've explained the situation to my wife and asked that she use the Channels app for background noise. That or the music app. Works great for us.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The irony, as a Charger fan in Boise all I got was your crappy Seahawks cast :)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can’t stand Hulu lives UI it doesn’t have a real guide does it

They just added a “Live TV” header, but I haven’t used it too much.

The UI is horseshit.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Why can I not find the Rockets/Warriors game on the AppleTv, but on my iPad it pops right up? I’m literally screen sharing from one device to the other.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Some bullshit for sure. Best part is the game was sponsored by Hulu. I’m canceling as soon as Handmaids tail is over.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’be been using an outdoor antenna and HD Homerun for a couple years now, but we rearranged everything and now my set up has to go to the other end of the house. I’m using this opportunity to run Cat6 to every room and create a network closet.

Should I run coax to every room while I’m at it? Fist reaction is yes, but I can’t think of a situation where I’d need the coax over the HD homerun.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Nice, good point.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Love to watch movies from only one studio.

Wait are you talking about Disney or Netflix?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
There isn’t a way to combine them that I know of, my wife and I have the same problem.

Only work around I could find was using the TV app on the Apple TV to watch what’s next.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks Hulu for the 135 second unskippable ad for a channel I already subscribe to. You make DVR’d sports unwatchable.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure that happens when you don't have something DVRed but it is available on demand. Hulu does a really bad job at making that distinction but it is a legal one, if it's on demand the content provider calls the shots on ads, if it is DVRed, even cloud based DVRed, the user has control.

It could be user error, but I made triple sure I hit “record this game” from the menu, and that team is a “favorite team” set to record every game. If I did something wrong after jumping through those hoops, I start to lean that’s it’s intentional.

The only events that haven’t done that for me are ones over broadcast tv.

Either way, I’m trying something different.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After having to watch the only game I didn’t want to see today, I don’t know how I didn’t think of this. Thanks!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
But remember that one time we went far in the playoffs and parlayed that into a new stadium downtown? Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just logged into the Amazon app to finish Season 1 of Sopranos....fuuuuuuuuuu

I guess that’s what I get for procrastinating.