Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally had someone install my antenna on my roof, now I get 74 local channels. Neat... I never knew that home shopping network broadcast OTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So my plan to eliminate as much of my cable TV bill is complete.

I have a DirecTV DVR from my brother on his account, which has pretty much everything except local channels since he lives out of state. Used the AM-21 off air tuner to feed local channels into the DirecTV to have them show up on the guide and record with the DVR. I then used an HDMI splitter to mirror that DVR to my living room and basement TVs, and got an extra RF remote so it can be controlled from the other room. Have antenna running into the other TV as well.

This will work... my wife and kid pretty much watch Netflix nonstop anyway, so I don't see there being a conflict to use the DVR.

Was so on the fence about getting a Tivo Bolt for the second TV with the antenna, but this will do to get the cable/satellite only channels on both TVs. Was $30 in splitters and cables instead of $300+ for a Bolt and be missing channels on one TV

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't seem to find an answer to this.

Does the Fire TV Recast allow you to download shows for offline viewing with the Mobile App for iOS?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys. I got some coupon codes for Disney+ in the mail. It's two offers, neither as good as the one from a couple weeks ago. But if you missed on that one and want to save a few bucks, here you go:

3 year sub for $169.99 (4.73 per month)
2 year sub for $119.99 ($5.00 per month)

Now here's the catch, according to the offer, you have to pay for it with a Disney Visa Card, but you may as well give it a shot just in case it doesn't really care. PM me if you want a code to try

They found a way to make a contract for a streaming service...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

kitten smoothie posted:

And they're collecting the money upfront 2-3 months before the service even goes live. I will admit I got in on the 3-year D23 deal when that was going on two weeks ago. I have a 18 month old and a 7 year old; I realized I may as well face it, I'm going to be paying for this service for the next 8 years anyway.

As a parent, kids will watch pretty much anything and are not picky. Also, they won’t know the service exists unless you tell them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jose Oquendo posted:

Youtube just had a 3 week trial.

I hate how the 3 week trial would have ended just before all of the new broadcast shows start up at the end of september. I was considering it just to try it, but realized I'd get no use out of YTTV until then

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Was Vue the one where you'd record a show, and then when you go to the program they'd mix in the episode with all the on demand poo poo, making it nearly impossible to just find the locally recorded show so you could fast forward through commercials?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
No DVR is a deal breaker. Who watches live tv these days unless it’s sports

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Playstation Vue shutting down Jan 30th, 2020

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/29/sony-interactive-entertainment-to-shut-down-playstation-vue/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

trem_two posted:

Hulu's DVR also went let you watch a program you're currently recording from the beginning, you need to wait until it's done recording. For some reason that drove me insane.

Ugh, really? That's gotta be tough for catching up on live sports

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've certainly used streaming services with a worse day 1 release, and it's not like they have some big live event that it must work for.

Reminds me of WWE Network launching right before Wrestlemania, and people saying "Well, I'm just going to order it on PPV anyway for $70 because the service is unreliable"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The 4K HDR formats on Disney Plus are incredibly confusing. The menu for the show will display what format will play, but doesn't tell you what formats are available. So there is a mix of Dolby Vision and HDR10, and if your TV can't play the format it just says it's in HD.

So for example... Free Solo showed up as HD on my 4K TCL Roku TV. The same movie showed up as 4K on my LG OLED using the built in Disney App. My Roku Ultra was not set up properly, so even though it was capable of displaying 4K, it was for some reason defaulting to an odd format and not set up for automatic. So it was showing the movie as HD.

I mean, I totally get it. I appreciate knowing what format is going to play, and can see the confusion if they said it was in Dolby Vision 4K but the TV can only play back HDR10. I just wish there was someway to say "Hey, you're TV can't play this in 4K, but it's available"

Oh well, minor complaint. The 4K picture quality is loving great. At least it's not like Amazon where if you don't select the 4K version of the show/movie it just shows you the thing in HD, and it's practically impossible to find the 4K versions of shows unless you use the website and add it to your playlist

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hulu Live is getting a $10 price increase on December 18, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Minidust posted:

Since I gotta replace Vue I've narrowed my choices down to Sling Blue and Philo. Anyone have thoughts on Sling's DVR? I see on suppose.tv that it has "restricted ad skipping" so I'm very curious as to what that entails. It also indicates "no DVR on certain channels" so I'm wondering if there's a full list of those somewhere (I'm assuming it's mostly gonna be locals and sports stuff?).

Also I'm a bit antsy about "downsizing" to a 50-hour DVR, so I'm wondering how robust Sling's on-demand offerings are. If the selection is decent I suppose that could offset the DVR limitations, since I got so used to just not thinking about it with Vue.

Meanwhile Philo's DVR sounds very similar to Vue's; basically unlimited recording that saves for 30 days. Thoughts from anyone who has used both?

That's what trials are for I guess. For your DVR questions on Sling...

You can’t record anything on on-demand channels like Local Now, and all of the Disney and ESPN channels are off limits. That includes Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney JR, ESPNs and SEC Network Extra. There are fast forwarding restrictions on “select recordings” on Fox channels, including FX, FS1, FS2, and National Geographic. It loads an on demand version of the show, which does not allow you to fast forward through commercials.

The only time I remember running into it was during So You Think You Can Dance. If I joined the recording late while it was live I could fast forward through commercials. And I even think once the show was over I could fast forward that night it aired. But the next day when it hit on demand it loaded the on demand version and limited fast forwarding.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’m so glad the only sports I care about is lovely pro wrestling.

If AEW has a cheaper way to stream in the states I’d have no need for live Tv

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
NBC revealed their plans for Peacock today

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/nbcuniversal-unveils-peacock-streaming-service-subscription-tiers

I'll try my best for a TL;DR.

Release Date:
-Launches July 15th
-Early releases on April 15th for Xfinity X1 and people that have the $5 "Flex" Streaming box

Ads
-NBCU’s Peacock will have no more than five minutes of ads per hour, even on the free version

Peacock Free
-7,500 hours of programming
-Next day access to "Freshman broadcast series"
-Complete Classic series
-Popular Movies
-Curated Daily News and Sports, including The Olympics
-"SNL Vault"

Peacock Premium
-$5/mo, free for Comcast and Cox Cable subscribers
-Peacock Original Series
-Next day access to "Returning broadcast series"
-Early access to late night talk shows at 8pm EST
-Premier League

Peacock Premium - Ad Free
-$9.99/mo
-$5/mo for Comcast/Cox cable subscribers

Peacock Originals
-AP Bio, Punky Brewseter, Psych 2: The Movie, Saved by the Bell, MacGruber

gently caress it, there is a lot of original content announcements, just read the press release.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I assume my OLED has the Fox App on it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Could be worse... loaded up the Disney Plus app for a car trip. Then poof, the app just decided to not recognize any of my downloaded shows. Even though the iPad showed them taking up space in system settings. It also said I was not authorized to view downloaded content until I made a mobile hotspot with my phone. Glad I wasn’t on a flight.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Comcast is lifting data caps for 60 days apparently...

https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/13/centurylink-internet-data-cap-comcast-coronavirus/

“The network is built for this,” Comcast says.

So when the Network performs well under the most extreme conditions, are they going to put data caps back?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I logged in, because why not... very underwhelmed for someone that doesn't typically view old content.

I was trying to figure out what was new on the platform, since that is all I am really interested in. Not much right now. This Wikipedia article seems to sum it up well without the narrative that some random website article will have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_HBO_Max

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fordan posted:

ESPN costs providers around $9 per month per subscriber so you’re unlikely to find any cheap packages that include it.

Imagine getting $9/mo per subscriber for the past 4 months without any sports

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MorrisBae posted:

Yeah between old NFL games, the American Gladiators channel, the Impact Wrestling channel, and whatever old game shows are on Buzzr and Nickelodeon Games, that's close enough to sports for me

I recently discovered the American Gladiators channel. I can't figure out why on my TV I can't access it on demand, but on my phone I can view every season on demand and watch it in order.

MarcusSA posted:

29.99 isn't bad but why is it so hard for these companies to list all the poo poo I can watch? I go to the site and this is literally all they tell you...

Also ad free isn't ad free

*Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming
will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few
shows and movies)

Edit: What the hell does this mean??

Fast & Furious
Subject to availability windows.

I assume it's like Hulu where even if you get the Ad Free version, there are certain shows like Gray's Anatomy that show a single 30 second ad before the show starts. But who knows

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Iron Crowned posted:

Peacock doesn't have Roku support :wtf:

Isn't this Roku's fault, because they want to treat it like a service and take a cut of the subscription fees like when people sign up with billing through Roku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bull3964 posted:

DCU is actually streaming 4k while HBO Max is only HD. However, I've found HBO Max to be very high quality. They upped the bitrate significantly when they switched over from HBO Now. I'm not the only one that noticed either.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

Yeah, bitrate is more important than resolution sometimes. I can show you an 8K resolution image that looks like garbage...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I saw online that DCU was 4K, but on the splash page for Doom Patrol it just says "HD 5.1". I looked around to see if maybe DCU does the same batshit stupid thing that Amazon does where they have separate listings for the HD and UHD versions of the show, but I didn't find any so I assume it's just a labeling error.

But this brings me back to my initial complaint of not having an easy way to view stream metadata info on ATV. From following your link I found out that there actually is a way to view the information, but it's buried deep in the settings and not something I can easily toggle on and off while viewing.

Maybe this is like Disney Plus where it shows you what is compatible with your device. Is it possible that it's in Dolby Vision or something that's not compatible with your TV?