Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Paying too much for Cable? I am and I’m sick of it. I made the decision to cut cable and move to a more digital friendly, possibly less expensive way of doing things. There was an upfront cost, but once things settled, I was paying for what I wanted rather than what the cable company thrust upon me.

:siren: This is currently written for US users only. If you have an international solution, please let me know and I’ll update the OP :siren:

Hardware
Roku – This small box will cut your cable bill in half with a few channels\services. The deluxe edition of the box is only $100 and can stream Netflix\Hulu and various other channels with subscriptions.

AppleTV – Apple’s entry into the streaming TV market. The current model does 1080p and streams TV shows and movies from the iTunes store as well as streaming Netflix. It is currently not jailbroken for streaming other media.

Paper Thin Leaf Indoor Antenna - This can be used to receive anything OTA including sports on stations like CBS

Sites and Stores to get your content
Hulu+
Pros and Cons
+ Watch tons of TV shows
+ See shows shortly after air or even simulcast
- Advertisements
- Occasionally slow to update

Netflix
Pros and Cons
+ Large library
+ No Ads
- Shows expire after a period of time

ITunes
Pros and Cons
+ Large library
+ You can own the content so it can be replayed at any time or just a rental
- Some titles not available

Amazon
Pros and Cons
+ Growing library, much like iTunes
+ You can own the content so it can be replayed at any time or just a rental
- Some titles not available

ESPN360
Pros and Cons
+ Majority of sports will be covered via this site
- Your ISP must be partnered with ESPN to register and receive content

Apps

Fanhattan - You can use this app to determine which service to use to get your desired show

If you have more experience with any of these services, or have any others to add, please let me know via PM or in this thread. I'll be updating the OP with as much information as possible.

VPN Services

Unblock-us.com

edit: Added VPN Services for international\blackout. Thanks again for all the updates

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

smackfu posted:

Is there a list somewhere of shows that just aren't available for viewing outside of TV close the air date? For instance, Persons of Interest. And all HBO stuff, but that's expected.

I would recommend using Trakt.tv

Input your shows and it'll tell you when they air

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

This is where VPNs really come in handy. Just spoof your location that way and you can get around any blackout.

Can you link a few good ones? I'd like to put these in the OP for international posters

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What are your thoughts on Ultraviolet? My current worry is older movies like Airplane! and such that don't come with codes from the blu-ray. I'm not sure if I'd have to re-buy them which is dumb or they just aren't supported leaving my library fragmented. I enjoy the idea of having everything movie wise on 1 app on my Roku. I'm wary of DRM and bandwidth usage but if it's an easy way to keep everything together, I'm willing to budge a little.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Well, that's actually better than having to transfer my hard drive between my pc and WDTV or Roku to add movies. I can just keep everything on my pc and stream it to the Roku.

Any negatives with Plex and Roku working together?

FCKGW posted:

Just make sure your PC can handle transcoding and you'll have to leave your computer on all the time.

If you've got that covered, Plex is probably the best media server I've ever used. The only hitch is subtitles act a bit weird. :( I'm using Tiny size and it's still a bit big for my taste. There's also an option for "music" for some shows. Turn it off. It lags my Roku 3 so bad.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2014

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Maneki Neko posted:

Does USA Live stream show it, or is that just sporadic?

http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/live

You're not going to be able to grab it via an antenna, and WWE Network doesn't offer it.

It doesn't look like it. Most of the shady streams I see are just off someone's TV.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Silly Burrito posted:

Does it have to be watched live? If not, Hulu Plus has it the next day.

The upload to Hulu is actually cut up and doesn't contain the entire broadcast.

Gyshall posted:

I'm of no help to your problem, Irritated Goat, but I've also been having hella wifi issues with my Chromecast(s). poo poo is annoying.

Very. I've had to do the WiFi dance with mine more than I've ever wanted to.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EugeneJ posted:

Use this site to stream RAW:

http://bigevents.tv/

Until I can afford an Amazon Fire stick, Roku doesn't stream directly from websites so yeah...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Goddimus posted:

Hulu Plus has a 90 minute version of raw and you can get a Hulu Plus membership for free from Bing Rewards with some daily searching on Bing

Irritated Goat posted:

The upload to Hulu is actually cut up and doesn't contain the entire broadcast.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need to get some advice because I have a few different options.

My mom is looking to cut out Cable because it's costing her a ton ($100\mo). The problem is, she doesn't want to part with her Football or stuff like Discovery, Nat Geo, whatever channel that Gold Rush stuff comes on.

I could get her a Roku 2, sign her up for Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, NFL Network.

My other alternative is maybe a Slingbox but I've got 0 experience with those to know how she might handle it.

Either option is tough because she occasionally forgets how to change inputs so I want to make this as easy as possible for her. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Don Lapre posted:

Unless all she does is watch tv she will forget about a lot of those lovely reality shows she watches on cable.

It's really all she does. :sigh:

Ixian posted:

SlingTV or Sony Vue have ESPN and may or may not have local channel options for her area. However if she has trouble remembering to change inputs I'm thinking that route, which involves a streaming box and streaming apps - which provide a very different kind of UI from regular grid-style cable/Sat TV - are going to be a problem.

Not saying she's stupid, just that we all have family members who can't be bothered to remember this poo poo or break old habits when it comes to TV and the end result is you are on permanent TV tech support detail and she's going to be frustrated. Especially when it buffers/etc. - and the live TV streaming services buffer a lot more than on-demand stuff like Netflix, etc.

Call her cable company, say you are cancelling, get a much better rate for a year. Then do it again next year. It's the American Way.

Yeah, I may see if she hasn't done that yet. I can easily do it for her since I'm on the account for tech reasons.