Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd love if there was something that actually bridged the gap between basic cable and Netflix/Prime Streaming.
I honestly don't mean for this to be snarky, or necessarily pointed at you specifically, but what gap? I mean, what's in the middle that in effect doesn't boil down to "(cheaper) cable + a robust on-demand library, both tightly integrated"?

I know a la carte channels are high on peoples' wish lists, but what else are people looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So they'll give you a $150 Apple TV for $105?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There's obvious integration advantages if you have other Apple products and/or have a computer with an iTunes library.
There's supposedly a single sign on thing for all the channel apps coming "soon".
Siri gives you some basic voice control, which going by history will probably be expanded sometime but never as good as people hope.
It looks like Apple is going to use the ATV as the "hub" for HomeKit smart devices, so there's that potential if it tickles you.
And for info, it's not Kodi but the ATV has a Plex app available.

And yeah, burrito, no Amazon video. You can fudge it with AirPlay if you have another iDevice.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You mean the actual box or a link to the offer? The former is http://www.apple.com/tv/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stick

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fuzz posted:

That seems like a really raw deal compared to the AppleTV...
But you only have to prepay one month to get it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Free stuff alert: Amazon just sent me an email and apparently as a Prime member, they're offering a free month of HBO (HBO Now, I would guess).

Edit: maybe not HBO Now, HBO shows up as a channel in the Amazon Video app.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 4, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ixian posted:

I wonder how DTV Now got such a good deal?
I'd assume they're just eating (most of) the difference and are either just calling it startup promo costs, or just ignoring it since they'll probably own HBO before 2017 ends.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh, it's more diverse this time, more vertical than horizontal, which has the potential of being even worse (lol rip net neutrality).

Of note, ATTs plan of acquiring Time Warner does not include getting Time Warner Cable.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was streaming HD over wifi on a Roku 2 with a $40 Linksys router and a 5mbps internet connection (in the snow, uphill both ways :corsair:) four or so years ago with no problems, so I imagine so (for 1080p at least).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well it's an intel streaming box. :rimshot:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, but isn't that what most people seem to want -- basically cable with DVR with access to a large back library, but noticeably cheaper than cable service?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thisdude23 posted:

Ok so my wife has AT&T for phone service but I was going get DirecTV Now. If I end up getting it will she still be able to stream it without wasting data or does she have to get it on her acount for it to be unlimited?

Thanks.
Their exact wording is "If you’re a DIRECTV NOW and AT&T Wireless customer, ..." so put it on her account.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol, DIRECTV Now: screen goes blank in the middle of a show and message pops up "<absolutely non-sports-related syndicated TV show> is blacked out in your area".

Every day this service gets more and more amateur hour. Or maybe the duct tape is just unraveling.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RZA Encryption posted:

What channel and show was it?
Some hospital show on Discovery Life my wife was watching.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tailored Sauce posted:

Untold Stories of the ER is a great show.
Maybe, I don't even know which hospital show it was, they kind of blur together. I just call it The Blood Channel.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
To be clear, I don't think my content was actually blacked out, I think it was just messed up (and it became unblocked shortly thereafter). For one thing, the "blackout" happened about 12 minutes into a show, and that show was on at 3PM on a Wednesday afternoon.

In addition to the fairly frequent "snow", stuttering, and occasional outright freezing, the service often gives me a "there was trouble loading..." message, and a couple of times I've seen a "you have more than two streams going" message (when the actual number was zero) even after a password change.

This is on a wired 100mbps connection that plays things like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon video nearly flawlessly on a variety of devices (including the Apple TV used for DTVN). DIRECTV Now just does not function well.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For the price of a Chromecast + audio extractor you may be able to find an AppleTV 3(wwhich has optical audio out). If your setup can handle that, you'd be able to AirPlay pretty much anything and have one less wall wart. Well two, technically, since the ATV has a built in power supply and has a regular power cord.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What are the thousands of convenient options to watch Netflix with a remote on a monitor without speakers that may (probably? I don't know about monitors these days) not have an extra HDMI port?

It's kind of a goofy situation, but I can see wondering about the existence of a solution that doesn't involve another screen or what is basically a single-purpose box to add to the (most likely) already existing rats nest of cabling and power plugs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
From what I've read, if you assume they add everything they're say they're going to add, eventually it'll kind of be a Roku + a sort of Steam Link + a Samsung SmartThings hub (for $25 extra) + a speakerless Google Home in one box. And play Android games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This is probably useless info but after watching a video of the new Shield thing, their Amazon video app looks (at a short glance) to be identical to the Amazon app on the TiVo if anyone is looking for a reference point.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheWevel posted:

For those of you using streaming apps, how conscious are you about data usage?
Very. Even with my AppleTV set the 720p (not sure if that makes a difference) DTVN appears to use roughly 3.5 GB/hr. In our unusual(ly low cap) case, it's pretty much the same price to have Internet + cable + TiVo as it is upgraded internet + $35 DTVN. And the former obviously results in a better service. Oh well. Maybe in a few years.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah HBO and HBO Family seem to be showing up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Question about DIRECTV Now: short version -- can i un-favorite a channel i no longer have access to?

About a month ago they had Cinemax and Stars free, and I added them to my favorite list. Now I don't have access too them, but I can't seem to take them off the favorite list. Clicking the heart on the favorite list does nothing, and the channels don't show up in the All Channels list.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Getting started on a new OP or getting started cutting cable?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

These are wonderful things to hear. I assume Sling requires the SlingBox? What other services should I consider?
No, Sling TV is a service by (I think) Dish Network. It has an app on all kinds of boxes, Apple TV, Roku, Fire, Chromecast, Xbox One, etc. http://sling.com

That link Croatoan posted seems to have a good rundown of streaming services, both of the "big library" type and the "streaming cable package" type. And now apparently Hulu is going for both.

E: and all the streaming services will have a 7-30 day free trial.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 6, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe say "streaming cable". Add "service" if you like. People will know what you mean and it won't sound like you're trying to be clever. Cable occasionally freezes, and there is certainly noticeable channel startup time with satellite dishes, so the "with buffering" isn't really a unique qualifier either.

On another note, DIRECTV Now sent me an email last week saying even without a sub you can still watch a few things, but I can't seem to find any way to do that -- the links provided just take me to a subscription page. Any help?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Thwomp posted:

How much 4K/HDR content is out there besides Netflix?
Not sure, but I found this: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4k-content-guide-what-to-watch-in-4k-today/

quote:

4K streaming services Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and YouTube have the biggest selection of 4K movies and TV shows. A couple of less-popular services like Google Play Movies and TV, Sony's Ultra, Fandango Now and UltraFlix4K offer additional options. Hulu also has 4K now, but only on a couple of devices.

The catch? All of these streaming services only offer a tiny portion of their vast libraries in 4K. Chances are, whatever show or movie you want to watch won't be in 4K or HDR. The exception is original series on Netflix and Amazon, like "Daredevil" and "The Man in the High Castle." Many of them are available in 4K.

E: out of curiosity, if anyone has streamed 4K movies is the data mostly straight proportional to 1080p? I.e. Since 1080p uses roughly 2.5 GB/hr, is 4K close to 10? I would guess encoding/compression would save a bit.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 16, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
DTVNow just sent me an email with a promo code supposedly good for a free month (code good until the end of June). So maybe check your email if you've cancelled and want free stuff.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you want it soon, probably not through their mailing list because their month-long (I think?) sale ended last Friday. Don’t think they had OTAs on sale, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Iirc, a half hour TV show is 21 minutes long, an hour show is 42.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you have a Harmony remote you like, don’t have line of sight problems, and aren’t keen on using an Echo/Home for voice control, there’s probably no reason to switch imo.

For info, the “Harmony Smart Control” item on Amazon includes a hub with the shown display-less controller (only mentions the hub in the description) and it’s currently $78.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LastInLine posted:

From what I read the Smart Control hub differs from the newer hub.. I've used Harmonys for over a decade and I know what it's like to have some of their "forgotten hardware". It's not pleasant.
Well you have more experience than me, but I bought the smart control hub at Christmas and it works fine for us. Also that thread you linked was from Feb 2015 and I haven’t heard of any firmware updates for a nominal fee or anything. And glancing at the Logitech support site, they ... well I’m not convinced there are actually different models of hub. But I’m not nearly an expert on Harmony stuff.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My gut instinct is to first ask if you’ve checked out what voice capabilities there are with Home and both devices. Because, while I may be embarrassingly wrong, my guess is that you’ll probably be disappointed in what you can do with either. At least without something like a Harmony Hub also in the pipe.

“Works with its voice commands” could mean a lot of things from (for example) just “pause” to “launch Amazon Video” to “watch season 3 of My Show on Hulu”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t know exact details since we use Amazon Dots, but I *think* that’s possible with Netflix and YouTube only — I’m sure some Home-owning goon can chime in.

Mostly just expressing that imo a lot of the available voice command stuff sounds better in theory than in practice, I guess, and don’t want people to set themselves up for disappointment.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait, you have to use IFTTT? Can’t the Home talk directly to the Harmony Hub to fire activities?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LastInLine posted:

It can but it's really awkward. You have to say "Okay Google talk to the Harmony" as a preface to commands and even then like i was saying I can't get it to do anything except increase the volume. I'll admit I've never tried to use it to do things like Pause because saying "Okay Google talk to the Harmony Pause" is so long and awkward that I'll just use the remote, thanks.

At least with IFTTT it works reliably for launching and quitting activities even if I do have to use exact phrasing.
Oh, gotcha. With Our Dots, the only time I have to say “tell Harmony to ...” is when I set a sleep timer for the tv/receiver/etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thrawn527 posted:

How do they make money?
Looks like they offer movies for sale.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey speaking of Roku, I haven’t kept up with them. My mom has a Roku 2 and a 1080p TV. Are there significant benefits to getting her a newer Roku?

E: as far as I know, she just uses it for Netflix, Hulu, maybe YouTube, and possibly checking the weather.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks, I’ll ask. But this Roku is old. I don’t remember exactly, but it’s at least 5 years old.