Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any recommendations for stand alone ATSC Tuners? I've got a bit of an odd setup, Roku + Projector, so I don't have any ATSC tuner to get OTA. The crazy bit is I can't seem to find a tuner that has HDMI out without spending several hundred dollars, yet products like those cheap USB TV tuners are $30. Basically I want one of those $40 Converter boxes from a few years back, but not limited to 480p, any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Also remember that antenna amps also amplify static.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Orvin posted:

Is anyone using TiVo with an antenna here? I have been thinking about dropping cable since the vast majority of the shows I bother to watch now are on the broadcast networks. I do need a DVR of some sort, as I almost never watch tv live.

1. Can any of the current TiVo models other than the OTA, and maybe base cable work with an antenna? It looks like the plus and pro are cable only.

2. How are the TiVo mini devices? Can I use them to watch live broadcasts, or is it only recorded shows? Like can I use them to channel surf in a separate room and not have to buy multiple antennas?

3. Do the TiVo minis really require everything to be on a wired network? Or can I just buy a wifi adapter/router for the rooms with a mini? How about the TiVo stream to make them work with the base model TiVo?

Are there any other DVR devices out there that are plug and play for antenna?

While I haven't done the TiVo mini or anything too fancy, I'm using a TiVo for everything I want and it's pretty okay. the best buy OTA TiVo is just a regular base model roamio that had the cable card slot removed, and is ineligible for lifetime service. I'd just get a base model romaio, for an extra 100 and do the break even on that + lifetime and see if it makes sense to you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You can usually find $100 off lifetime deals, so if you keep it 20 months you're good to go. Plus even if you do upgrade in a year or two, the fact that it has lifetime means you can use it in a spare bedroom or sell/give it away easily.

The big gotcha (for me) was the ota and base units only come with a 500gb drive, and it voids the warranty when you upgrade it to 3tb.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. With IP based solutions becoming more popular all the time I don't see CableCard lasting much longer. With better/more consistent stream availability DVRs might start to fade too. Lord knows I barely use mine anymore.

Maybe they'll hack up their own streaming device?

They already have most of the streaming services integrated into the TiVo. If they had sling, or a Roku-like platform for third party apps to supplement the recording I'd be totally happy.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

$299 for a tivo roamio OTA /w lifetime

Not a bad deal, my big hang up with the OTA model was the lack of a lifetime option.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Orvin posted:

Doesn't make the official external drive seem so bad now for extra recording space.

Voids the warranty, but throwing in a 3tb DVR hard drive is painless, and gives you like 450HD hours, and more SD hours then you should be watching (3k ish)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

If I get Hulu Plus or whatever the paid version is called, can I access EVERYTHING or do some things require a provider login?

Some things are just flat out not available on non-desktop environments. Yes even when you pay up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's part of why I bought a TiVo and ditched Hulu. Sure I don't get quite everything OTA, but I get enough and I don't have to think about if I can record it. Plus I get local news.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TiVo + antenna + Prime/and or NetFlix

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone who is arguing that any sort of wireless internet in the US is going to have speeds and data caps that allow for a reasonable streaming-as-primary-source setup is full of poo poo.

It's not LTE or through the cellular but it can be done.

http://ranchwireless.com/residential-internet-plans/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

$90 a month for 6 megabits with a 150-gig cap is loving terrible.

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone who is arguing that any sort of wireless internet in the US is going to have speeds and data caps that allow for a reasonable streaming-as-primary-source setup is full of poo poo.

It can be done, and between that and dial up is a no brainier

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's not the way things work. You pay for cable too and see ads, this is a OnDemand version of that.

Not paying for it at all sends the message "People aren't interesting in streaming content next day under a subscription model" and nothing more.

I am amazed that people don't realize that Tivoing and skipping the ads is a better experience then Hulu. You can watch it same day, skip the ads, and either pay about the same for No ads Hulu, or a lump sum. Hulu is a racket.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The only time I see advertisements on TV is at a family member's house where we're watching some event like the Macy's Parade or the Superbowl, New Years Eve stuff etc

TiVo or some other dvr that lets you start watching while its recording. Added bonus, you can 2x between plays and knock out a game quick.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Besides Sling.TV, is there another way to watch the debate tonight on a Roku? Is there going to be another Youtube link?

Day late and a dollar short, but the CNN iOS apps had them streaming live for free without needing a cable subscription.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I'd be down for a streaming/on demand college football plan.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

In my opinion pay the money and get a TiVo with lifetime. No muss no fuss.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ixian posted:

The other problem with Tivo is it is of course heavily dependent on your cable provider.

It's isn't because the whole point is to not have a cable provider.

Yeah I don't know what the price is now, but I picked up a roamio a while(year maybe?) ago for 300~ all in. Worth it to not have to fiddle with stuff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You have to weigh the cost of home building a 4 tuner setup yourself and maintaining it compared to $149/year (after the first year) as well as the yearly power costs associated with keeping a full pc running.

My opinion is, if you want any sort of DVR setup for OTA, then TiVo is still your only viable choice. The Magnavox DVRs could be tempting, but it will take about two years for ROI and the landscape can change a lot in that timeframe.

This is exactly it. Yes it's expensive, yes you can do a lot of it yourself, yes there are more things to record on cable. It all doesn't matter because it's the best/easiest/most hassle free way to be able to tape TV. I've used some of the Magnavox DVRs, and you can use them, they work, but you definitely get what you pay for software-wise.

It makes a lot more sense then roku and hulu if you watch anything local, or sports. Just yesterday I heard about a car chase at work just down the road, so I popped on my phone and started recording all four networks to watch later. Very cool and impossible on a roku.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

This whole argument is what makes TiVo worth paying for fwiw

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Serious question is using stuff like ad free time to watch foreign Netflix :filez: or is it hunky dorey? (To do, not to talk about, I got enough problems is all I'm saying)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Outside of antenna to TV and/or VCR, TiVo is the easiest OTA 'solution'.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

They've given away or or two free rentals in the last couple months for what it's worth

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I am much happier with the Fire TV stick than Roku, the interface is just tons better and it supports Playstation Vue which is a much, much better deal than Sling TV. $10 more a month gets you 28 days of unlimited cloud DVR, more channels and logins to the websites/mobile apps of almost all of the channels, Sling really needs to step up it's game.

Roku supports Vue, and it is better then Sling. Not worth the money until college football season starts in my opinion.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

For example CBS All Access. IIRC, the only legit place you'll be able to watch the new Star Trek show in 2017.

Can't you DVR it on vue/sling?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Vue on Roku isn't great, but it sucks a bit less then sling. Plus you get the app sign ins.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You could watch Vue on your phone/tablet via the Vue app or the individual channel apps.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Yeah, just give me Longhorn Network, FS1/2 ESPNs, and SEC Network and I'm good to go. Heck just sell me a login to the ESPN Go and Fox Sports apps on my Roku.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Unexpected posted:

I've just signed up for DirecTV Now. Thank you, esteemed Goons for letting me know it existed because f*** cable companies.

Yes you're really sticking it to them by subscribing to AT&T :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I get Spanish,Chinese,Vietnamese, and Indian language stations. One of the Spanish stations plays a bunch of lucha libre, and my TiVo dutifully records and suggests it to me every single time.