Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

This is exactly what I want from my tablet experience. I want the security of being able to switch from lazing around and watching poo poo on YouTube to "oh my god, I forgot to do research for this paper due Friday, good thing this thing turns into a fully capable notebook that I can use at the library."

Just get a laptop.

quote:

Like others have said, if the battery life is 50% as good as the iPad's, I'm sold.

Make sure that four hour battery has charge before rushing to the library in a panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

crsktn posted:

Except it's a physical thing that exists and does stuff?

Jesus christ what is wrong with the lot of you people, Microsoft could come out with the second coming of the lord and you insufferable, insatiable faggots would find something that offends you so deeply to your core that you would continously post about how worthless it is and how much you hate it.

I have an iPad 3, had an iPad 2 as well, and i love Apple products, but gently caress me if this isn't an interesting product and what seems to be a real legitimate competitor to the iPad, which would be GOOD for consumers.

Nobody knows much about it yet, so all you're doing is letting your personal bias' come out in full force.

God forbid we have a discussion that's optimistic about a new product coming out, instead of instantly damning everything that is even 1% skewed away from your views of technological perfection.

That's crsktn. He fights for the consumers.

Toady fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 19, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Microsoft kept touting build quality, and for good reason: the Windows RT Surface tablet is solid and stunning. Attention to detail is positively amazing, and it's so well designed from every angle that it's just a joy to look at. The keyboard is so thin it seems made from fabric. The lines are gorgeous, and it's a well-balanced device that you'll be able to hold for extended sessions. It is, certainly, easier to hang on to than any of the three generations of iPads to date. The screen is bright and vivid, and the viewing angle is as wide as you could reasonably expect to hold it. Even the kickstand that lets it sit upright, which seemed kind of, well, dumb onstage was a fantastic touch once we saw it in person and attached to the keyboard.

I'm sure Gizmodo is qualified to comment on what it's like to hold for extended sessions after a "very brief hands-on" of ninety seconds.

Edit: Also, Gizmodo.

Toady fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 19, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

As someone who writes for a living, this is looking really loving good. The iPad is decent for writing first drafts, but editing a story is a terribly painful experience. I mean, unless you enjoy having to constantly tap the screen to highlight words. And Pages is such a pile of poo poo, jesus, it shouldn't be called a word processor.

I recommend a laptop for prolonged word processing sessions, especially if you're a professional writer. It's obviously the better tool for that task.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

I'm well aware that Gizmodo is a bunch of bad "journalists" but I thought it was relevant because they are typically a big Apple circle jerk and don't give MS any slack on anything.

Gizmodo? The ones who bought the stolen prototype iPhone and outed the engineer who lost it?

Thermopyle posted:

I carry a good compact multi tool. It is neither a great knife nor a great pair of pliers. It is a good enough knife and a good enough pair of pliers for me to love the tool because of its compact nature.

Surface doesn't have to be the best ultrabook or the best tablet for it to be the best device for many as long as the tablet and keyboard are good enough for their needs because having the two as one device is a feature unto itself.

Whether or not Surface is good enough in these areas remains to be seen, but saying someone shouldn't be interested in it because, as a hybrid device, it can't be as good as dedicated devices...well that's ridiculous.

If your standard is "eh, good enough", then I can see why you'd be satisfied with a multi tool. You're not going to be fixing cars or doing anything serious with it, but as a last resort when you don't have real tools available, or for peace of mind (like a good luck trinket), it might be something to have around. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement of the multi-paradigm premise behind Surface, unless the premise behind Surface is "Not as good as the real thing" or "As a last resort".

I don't think it's ridiculous to point out the obvious tradeoff between hybrid and dedicated devices. If Surface isn't a good notebook or a good tablet, there is little reason for people not to get a non-compromised notebook or tablet instead that will provide a better fit for "their needs". Just like how your multi-tool isn't as good as real tools.

Hybrid devices serve as marketing bullet points--it sounds cool to tell people that this one thing can be a silver bullet and do everything, unlike that other thing that only focuses on one. In practice, this is rarely successful (if it ever has been), and it's been the trend of the industry to move away from general purpose computing devices toward more focused platforms that are nicer to use because of their reduced scope and lessened complexity.

There's a segment of techies resisting this movement and trying to turn tablets into general purpose desktop PCs again. These hybrid devices have been on the market for over a decade now and have not taken off with the public, and the schizophrenic Windows 8 is hardly going to be the game-changer that makes consumers want to turn tablets into laptops and vice versa on a moment's notice. If they need a laptop, they'll get a Windows 7 laptop (or MacBook Air) and just use that for everything. If they want to play Angry Birds, they already have smartphones.

• Locked thread