Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The Ambush starters are all roughly 350 points give or take right? Trying to decide if it makes more sense to get a few of those and some add-ons, or start with a mega army set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Count Thrashula posted:

The Ambush starters are all roughly 350 points give or take right? Trying to decide if it makes more sense to get a few of those and some add-ons, or start with a mega army set.

Roughly, yeah. They're a solid way to get two regiments or a regiment and a couple of troops depending on how you assemble them and what faction you're buying (the Empire of Dust set having cavalry in it is great deal to the point where I don't actually know why you'd ever buy the cavalry regiment on its own as it's cheaper as an Ambush starter and comes with another regiment/two troops of infantry). The only real "downside" to the Ambush boxes is a lack of individual bases. You don't get any heroes, monsters, or war machines either, so it comes down to what's in the mega army for the faction you're interested in and what kind of army you want to build.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Atlas Hugged posted:

Roughly, yeah. They're a solid way to get two regiments or a regiment and a couple of troops depending on how you assemble them and what faction you're buying (the Empire of Dust set having cavalry in it is great deal to the point where I don't actually know why you'd ever buy the cavalry regiment on its own as it's cheaper as an Ambush starter and comes with another regiment/two troops of infantry). The only real "downside" to the Ambush boxes is a lack of individual bases. You don't get any heroes, monsters, or war machines either, so it comes down to what's in the mega army for the faction you're interested in and what kind of army you want to build.

That's good advice, EoD is actually one of the sets I'm looking at. Possible that and Brother Mark/Green Lady so I can play a superior Old World 😈

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Count Thrashula posted:

That's good advice, EoD is actually one of the sets I'm looking at. Possible that and Brother Mark/Green Lady so I can play a superior Old World 😈

I've been calling it "affordable Old World."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Atlas Hugged posted:

I strongly recommend you give Ambush a try first. It's only 750 points or so that you need to get started and it has fairly straightforward list building. It's a more manageable target for collecting, building, and painting an army (though I guess with 3D printing it's just about wait times for the printer) and it plays very fast while using the majority of the rules in the full game. I played a game this weekend using my old Bretonnians as Kingdoms of Men against my buddy's Undead and it was a lot of fun. I only needed to make space for a 4x4 table as well! Another bonus in tight living conditions.

I can't quite remember who designed these tokens, but I know it was a Goon on these very forums. They're still getting use and I love them.

I painted up this zombie ogre as well. The Dungeon Saga Origins Legendary Edition box continues to be an amazing value for the range and quality of minis in it.

The more I look at it, the more I find the skin unsettling, which I guess was the goal!

Also, have an undead dwarf king for good measure.

That skelly dwarf is dope as hell

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

The Sands of Ahmun starter is excellent value if you know someone that wants the ogres. So is the EoD Ambush box, but massed cavalry isn't a great way to play them, so there are some diminishing returns to consider. They're more like a fast anvil than a real hammer, so work better in a support role.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The real sleeper purchase is the chariots because it's the 3 chariot models, plus a cavalry sprue and an infantry sprue for the horses and riders, so you can jury rig some extra heroes if you have the right bits and are up for some conversions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My Abyssal Dwarf force is growing. The light mortar team is complete.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Starting an Empire of Dust army and I already own all the OnePageRules "Mummified Undead" 3d files, so here we go with an Ahmunite Pharaoh!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Starting an Empire of Dust army and I already own all the OnePageRules "Mummified Undead" 3d files, so here we go with an Ahmunite Pharaoh!

Great sculpt. Recommend Wings of Honeymaze and Host Shadowbeast, zoom around being an absolute menace.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Halfbreeds are kind of alright I guess. They remind me of older Mantic kits, but they're not the worst.

The Decimators rule though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Halfbreeds are hideous sculpts. All the normal dwarf heads are terribad.

I'm glad the abyssal dorfs heads are less boxy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MCPeePants posted:

Great sculpt. Recommend Wings of Honeymaze and Host Shadowbeast, zoom around being an absolute menace.

Yep that's basically my load out! Also toying with the idea of Eternal Guard Aura to make mummies nasty

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Its Rinaldo posted:

Halfbreeds are hideous sculpts. All the normal dwarf heads are terribad.

I'm glad the abyssal dorfs heads are less boxy

I don't hate the concept they're going for, but it's hard to tell what the detail actually is. Everything is sort of "low resolution" and I'm not sure if I'm looking at straps or fur or mail or what.

For Ambush, in good enough, but if I want to expand to a full 2000 points, I'd be interested in what STL options are available.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Finished my first Kings of War unit, some of the new Twilight Kin impalers

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:nice:

I picked up the North v Kin 2 player ambush starter and the Halfling starter, because I have some North already via Vanguard and Halflings via League of Infamy, and the new Kin scuplts look really cool as demonstrated above

The new kin have retained the long and lanky look of the original elf sculpts, which is a big positive for me because I like their uncanny and inhuman proportions, though I know others hate them. The large lads are large though, bigger than Ogres.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've finished most of my Abyssal Dwarves. I'm waiting for the odd piece at this point, but I've largely completed my Ambush force at this point.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

NTRabbit posted:

:nice:

I picked up the North v Kin 2 player ambush starter and the Halfling starter, because I have some North already via Vanguard and Halflings via League of Infamy, and the new Kin scuplts look really cool as demonstrated above

The new kin have retained the long and lanky look of the original elf sculpts, which is a big positive for me because I like their uncanny and inhuman proportions, though I know others hate them. The large lads are large though, bigger than Ogres.

They are large indeed

Here they are next to a big boi space marine

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've finished most of my Abyssal Dwarves. I'm waiting for the odd piece at this point, but I've largely completed my Ambush force at this point.

Lookin great. I've primed ten to paint from the Twilight vs Abyssal Dwarf two player kit as a change of pace from spindly noodle armed sad elf unit of voidwalkers I'm currently working on.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 4, 2024

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Just got in a 5 player training game of armada.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Grey Hunter posted:

Just got in a 5 player training game of armada.

How was it? I'm still working on painting up my Orc force so I can play a demo game

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

How was it? I'm still working on painting up my Orc force so I can play a demo game

We love it, we're running a tourniment in a month or so, and were training up some new people.
its a fast game to play and always fun when stuff explodes or rams into each other.

The wind change can cause all sorts of issues.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Lowkey the best part about the Mantic Vault is that I can turn Mantic mispacks into whole complete regiments by printing off just the parts that they forgot the first time around but replaced in their entirety when I brought it to their attention. I knew I stuck those Rhinosaurs with the wrong number of legs in a drawer for a good reason. I've just slapped together a 750 point Ambush list and I cannot wait to paint these guys up and run it.

2x regiments of Rhinosaurs
1x regiment of Tyrants
1x regiment of Lesser Fire Elementals with Helm of Confidence
1x Battle Captain on Rhinosaur with Inspiring Talisman

That's nothing in the list with a wavering value.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is the complete lack of posting in this thread about epic warpath a testament to its falling flat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLKyD-87jaQ

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

The Kickstarter hasn’t started yet, so there’s not much to talk about yet. From the previews, it seems like a lot of Mantic first drafts—fine, competent but nothing particularly flashy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Malthusian posted:

The Kickstarter hasn’t started yet, so there’s not much to talk about yet. From the previews, it seems like a lot of Mantic first drafts—fine, competent but nothing particularly flashy.

GW thread: the corner of a sword yields 100 pages of discussion.

Mantic thread: first play of new long rumoured game is detailed on Youtube, not a single post.

Hard plastic 10mm might make this a buy for me, even if I never actually play the warpath rules.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I should watch that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

my group has at least 4 people interested, but yeah, I'm waiting on more details - it looks good so far.

I will be upset if the forge fathers don't have a land train....

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Even though Legions Imperialis sucked a lot of air out of the room, Mantic's actual announcement was more of a bummer.

I appreciate the candidness of "Hey this is going to overshadow us, should we even bother?" with a PDF of their in-progress notes.

But that inspires nearly zero confidence or excitement. Rolling into Kickstarter with a product you were ready to dumpster just like a recipe for fulfillment problems.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I started watching that video but ran out of time, need to watch the rest before commenting.

I'm interested, but waiting for an idea on price, as I've always felt this was the better scale for something bigger than a platoon/skirmish game with ranged scifi weapons

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.manticgames.com/news/how-to-play-epic-warpath-tutorials/?fbclid=IwAR0u8GYKj_afkrrQBZQKBDBJ22N9175oBZ33uHLNlbSJA3ciK-bCxE4Tq5I

How to play videos

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I finished painting the 3D printed Hellfane. There's a lot of gap filler on this model to get the two halves to go together, but the texture make it hardly noticeable.

We messed up the pipes when printing, printing the wrong combination of styles, but that's fine and it gives the furnace a battle-repaired kind of look to it.

I managed to play two games of Ambush this weekend, one game at 800 points and one at 750. This really is the sweet spot for me in game sizes. It feels like how I imagined Warhammer 5e playing when I was a kid, but heroes aren't entirely broken. We've regularly been taking 6-7 units per side, and it's absolutely the perfect game size.

The Charnox made an appearance in the second game and he was kind of disappointing. This one is the Mantic cast, not the 3D print. It's still a great model.

Not a great picture, but I thought the Halfbreeds came out fine.

In conclusion, Abyssal Dwarfs are a gorgeous model range and I like how they play!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I see a disgusting round base. You sicken me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Tell that to Mantic giving everything in Dungeon Saga Origins a round base.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I managed to play two games of Ambush this weekend, one game at 800 points and one at 750. This really is the sweet spot for me in game sizes. It feels like how I imagined Warhammer 5e playing when I was a kid, but heroes aren't entirely broken. We've regularly been taking 6-7 units per side, and it's absolutely the perfect game size.

This is absolutely the way to play Ambush. Enough units to create some back and forth and be able to sacrifice some, so the gameplay gets a chance to come through. I really like how it changes up unit role and durability - suddenly that troop of dwarves can survive a round against lots of stuff, so it's a blocker instead of chaff. It's cool!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It definitely scratches the right itch for rank and flank. My friend wants to start moving towards Kings of war proper, but I just don't know that I want to deal with horde sized units. Regiments and troops are where the game really shines.

I've been thinking about adding Gargoyles to my list, but the models really are not great and they're kind of pricey too. Might have to 3D print an alternative to the Mantic ones. Anyone have any recommendations?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OPR's War Furies seem perfect:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Those are very cool, but I'm worried about the wingspan on them as trying to build a regiment or troop of them looks like it might be a pain.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Atlas Hugged posted:

It definitely scratches the right itch for rank and flank. My friend wants to start moving towards Kings of war proper, but I just don't know that I want to deal with horde sized units. Regiments and troops are where the game really shines.

I've been thinking about adding Gargoyles to my list, but the models really are not great and they're kind of pricey too. Might have to 3D print an alternative to the Mantic ones. Anyone have any recommendations?

I think multiple medium units is a strat that can be effective from what I've been reading. At the very least it's not sand baging

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kickstarter is up and it looks pretty good!

No early bird deals and the only listed stretch goal is an additional faction (Veer-myn.) About 18 units per faction, and the army boxes look complete and generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
£89 for two complete armies of your choice plus game aids vs the "maybe a starter" for £120 of LI is pretty attractive. I'd go in if GCPS was available cos I've been thinking about Halo Wars again lately. I gotta watch that how to play tutorial.