Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Deleter posted:

£89 for two complete armies of your choice plus game aids vs the "maybe a starter" for £120 of LI is pretty attractive. I'd go in if GCPS was available cos I've been thinking about Halo Wars again lately. I gotta watch that how to play tutorial.

You may be a good target for the halo game they are doing later in the year

In the comments they say that each faction box is about 2k points
And a legal force, unlike LI. ;)

£120 would get you rules, dice, tokens, an army with reinforcements and a superheavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
There better be Orc faction as a stretch goal. :orks:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I'm backing for the two army set, I'm 90% sure we'll unlock veermyn but even if it wasn't unlocked, the four options are great. I hope we get a nice look at that terrain.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

The Warpath KS is remarkably restrained for Mantic, which is much appreciated. Two weeks instead of a month, very reduced stretch goals. My guess is new army options will be every 250k. I think that will probably put the rats in reach, but I'm hoping Marauders would be army #6, even though hitting 500k might be a stretch. The models they've shown off look great, but I wish the Enforcer sets had been reshuffled to put their VTOLs, pathfinders, and striders in plastic instead of resin. Their grav-tanks are fine, but I'm wondering if they would look more exciting mounted on short flying bases.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Mantic's sci-fi vehicle designs have never hit with me, but the building and road sprues are a nice surprise.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Dang, was hoping for a rulebook/play aids only option, presumably those will be available for retail eventually at least.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Malthusian posted:

The Warpath KS is remarkably restrained for Mantic, which is much appreciated. Two weeks instead of a month, very reduced stretch goals. My guess is new army options will be every 250k. I think that will probably put the rats in reach, but I'm hoping Marauders would be army #6, even though hitting 500k might be a stretch. The models they've shown off look great, but I wish the Enforcer sets had been reshuffled to put their VTOLs, pathfinders, and striders in plastic instead of resin. Their grav-tanks are fine, but I'm wondering if they would look more exciting mounted on short flying bases.

It's 10 years on from the original Deadzone campaign, crowd funding has changed and so has the market, pleased to see they have adapted to it.

I've backed at the 2 player starter level, should be enough for me

Issaries posted:

There better be Orc faction as a stretch goal. :orks:

:hmmyes:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The best thing to come out of this will be Tiny Deadzone.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Oh wow. I didn't even think about that. What's the conversion rate? What does the 2x2 board become in the new scale?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

jodai posted:

Oh wow. I didn't even think about that. What's the conversion rate? What does the 2x2 board become in the new scale?

No idea. I was just going by the fact that it had basically all of the same minis and terrain. All you'd need to do is measure the size of those bulkheads and you'd have the right dimensions, assuming everything is 1:1 from Deadzone to EW.

Also, the Kickstarter seems to have stalled. They've only gained about 100 backers in the last 24 hours. The Veer--myn Stretch Goal is still quite a ways off. I haven't committed and now maybe I won't as Mantic have canceled sloppy Kickstarter launches in the past.

I certainly like the idea of it and I trust the game design to be solid, but not only do I not need another game to sit on a shelf, but dead on arrival game is something I need even less.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

jodai posted:

About 10" square. I bet a very talented and enterprising individual could build a pop-up book style board for extreme storagemaxxing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Almost finished Abyssal Dwarf regiment. Just need to do the banner that will slot into the middle

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Very nice! I am a huge fan of these models.

I spent this morning teaching my son how to play. He seemed receptive to it, but he kept pretending everything was either a mech or a starship and as units took damage, he would make comments like, "Oh no, their shields are down to 50%!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/warpath-the-game-of-epic-scale-sci-fi-warfare

Big update today, dropping the stretch goal targets, revealing the other factions, and showing the retail rate vs kickstarter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Definitely interested in Marauders, but of course those are a later stretch goal (are GCPS really that popular? and why are Nameless such a deep cut; you'd think Mantic would want to get their weird bespoke alien races out front and center?). I'm of a mind to pledge knowing that this game is DOA and just treating it as a boxed game with the two forces I'll pick up (theoretically) and never thinking to go beyond that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like they'd be knocking it out of the park with a digital tier, and I can't understand why they're just not bothering.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly yeah. I would print the absolute poo poo out of this game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly yeah. I would print the absolute poo poo out of this game.

The problem for companies like this is that once files are out, it kills demand for the plastics, and can be shared easily.

So I can see their attitude of having the core units in hard plastics and STL's of the harder to produce and more expensive resin models. It's actually a pretty neat solution.
Also Mantic are much happier with proxies, so you could find stuff online for Epic or Legions Imperialis and print those, as long as your opponent is okay with that.

I need to take some good shots of my KOW armies. Once the 80 Ratkin Shock troopers I'm painting are done!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Kind of underwhelming that they went through the trouble of reducing the goal points to push Veer-myn as an inevitability, but then have nothing prepared to show off about them as a faction?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a rules only tier? That's all I want.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

darnon posted:

Kind of underwhelming that they went through the trouble of reducing the goal points to push Veer-myn as an inevitability, but then have nothing prepared to show off about them as a faction?

I mean, everything in this game is just teeny versions of the Firefight/Deadzone minis so it's not like it's all unknown - and it sounds like they have an idea for the new big mini but want the community to get there themselves, and it's fair for them to be gun shy after things they have liked in the past have had to be retooled due to backlash (Dog bots, Armada was it Abyssal Dwarf fliers? just off the top of my head)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If only they had listened to us during the first Warpath Kickstarter. We'd have had epic scale and a D8 based Firefight several years before now.

Anyway, looks like GCPS will be unlocked today. Huzzah? I've never been a huge fan of having two factions representing human interests, but it is what GW does so I guess that's the model. I'd rather have had Marauders before GCPS, but they're not far off and will likely be unlocked before the campaign is over. Nameless I'm less hopeful for.

Assuming all goes as planned, I'm in for Asterians and Marauders.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Coming up on 2 days left, and 12.5k off the Marauders.
Nameless May happen, but it's unlikely unless they have an amazing last 48 hours.

I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grey Hunter posted:

Coming up on 2 days left, and 12.5k off the Marauders.
Nameless May happen, but it's unlikely unless they have an amazing last 48 hours.

I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.

That is a very clever way to base these. Amazing finished product.

I'm working on a regiment of Immortal Guard for my Abyssal Dwarfs and ugh they are the worst models. I hate how we still have so much legacy restic mixed in with actually good hard plastic kits. The loving integrated bases are the worst. I made the wild assumption given that they are glued directly into the center of the base that they would rank up and they absolutely do not. Fortunately I only did the first baggy of ten. I spent last night assembling the second ten and having to rotate them to very odd positions to make them rank. At least it worked. I thought maybe these just... couldn't fit together and I was going to be less than happy about it.

Despite the regiment being packaged with metal pieces for the command group, even Mantic don't include command models in promo photos with the rest of the regiment. They are awful and they do not fit together with the restic bodies like at all. Plus the metal is some of the lowest quality I've received from them. The hammer isn't even like square. It has gaps in the material along the edge. So I skipped those altogether just like their own photos. They should be relatively fast to paint up at the very least given they're mostly just gold. I'm excited to try out my homemade water transfers though!

Also, woohoo Epic? Least enthusiastic Kickstarter they've done since that one they canceled a year or two ago.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Yeah.

I was planning on getting orks and maybe one other faction, but Mantic doesn't even have any miniature designs ready. Only placeholder pictures of their 28mm range.
Real no :effort: Kickstarter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I actually canceled my pledge. I just couldn't figure out if anything about it actually interested me.

In any case, I've got an Ambush tournament coming up and I found out that the following is exactly 750 points:

2 troops of Decimators
1 regiment of Immortal Guard
1 regiment of Blacksouls
1 regiment of Halfbreeds
1 Slavedriver

We had been taking war machines in Ambush, but I think a couple of us are over them because they just don't hit with enough frequency to justify sinking around 100 points into them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yeah, i am continually surprised how much of a sorta complete army you can get in Ambush.

My Chorf list will probably be this when i do my first game of kow

2x Regiments of Black Souls
1x Regiment of Decimators
1x Regiment L Obsidian Golems
1x Regiment Slave Gor Riders
1x Iron Caster w/ bane chant

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yeah, i am continually surprised how much of a sorta complete army you can get in Ambush.

My Chorf list will probably be this when i do my first game of kow

2x Regiments of Black Souls
1x Regiment of Decimators
1x Regiment L Obsidian Golems
1x Regiment Slave Gor Riders
1x Iron Caster w/ bane chant

I've been waffling on Gor Riders myself just because I wasn't sure if i liked the models or not. I've found some excellent hobgoblin STLs to use as slave orcs, but I haven't found any wolf riders I like to act as proxies.

And yeah, it's absolutely possible to get a 'complete' army at 750 points. You just have to set your expectations differently. I've likened it to Warhammer 5e before, but the heroes aren't nearly as broken.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It looks like they've reached Nameless, but I've already made peace with skipping this one. It's a bummer, but I've got too many games already.

What do I need for Ambush? I've got a ton of Abyssals from a KoW one a while back.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

It looks like they've reached Nameless, but I've already made peace with skipping this one. It's a bummer, but I've got too many games already.

What do I need for Ambush? I've got a ton of Abyssals from a KoW one a while back.

500 points of minis, a copy of the rules, and all the usual dice and rulers and tokens you use in the big game

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

It's the same as Kings of War for the most part, just less of it.

You can take troops and regiments, but no hordes. You can't take anything over 250 points (and if you play a smaller game of Ambush, that number drops further). Troops and regiments both unlock heroes, monsters, and war machines but off the top of my head I can't remember the exact quantities. It might be as simple as one of the three per one troop or regiment. You can't take repeats of certain unit types and there are no named heroes at all.

At 750 points, you get around 5 units and it's played on a 3x3, though we typically play on a 4x4 because I hate how cramped 3x3 feels. Games are short and brutal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh that's super reasonable. For some reason I thought it was a whole different thing, thanks!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

Oh that's super reasonable. For some reason I thought it was a whole different thing, thanks!

You want The Red Book (sigh, can we have anything in fantasy that isn't just a derivative of Tolkien?) as it has the Ambush rules in them. It also has ways to modify the 12 scenarios in the book to play better on a 3x3 table.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, I thought it was a community mode. Still, not too bad and I can get some use out of all these demons.Abyssals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well I'm still in for the tiny sci fi mans at least :kiddo:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been waffling on Gor Riders myself just because I wasn't sure if i liked the models or not. I've found some excellent hobgoblin STLs to use as slave orcs, but I haven't found any wolf riders I like to act as proxies.

And yeah, it's absolutely possible to get a 'complete' army at 750 points. You just have to set your expectations differently. I've likened it to Warhammer 5e before, but the heroes aren't nearly as broken.

I wanna say I say Lost Kingdoms minis had some hobgoblin cav in their evil dwarf line that might fit that bill?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In addition to Ambush, there's also Vanguard, an even smaller mode. Right? But with different rules. Skrimish game.

quote:

In Vanguard a 200 points warband will typically consist of around 9-12 miniatures, and is the standard size for games. You’ll have your leader, grunts (the low level troops), warriors and then a mix of support units, spellcasters and a large model or two. Once you’ve selected your troops, you can also give them different equipment to help boost their abilities.
https://www.manticgames.com/news/what-is-kings-of-war-vanguard/

I still have my Vanguard kickstarter in the box it shipped in, under the table in the hobby room, shaming me.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 1, 2024

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Vanguard is individual models whilst ambush still uses the multibased/ranked up models and is (closer to) real KoW

I don't know anyone who plays vanguard at my local club when they could play full KoW or a GW offering but we are in the middle of a necromunda campaign ATM so

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know the club I played KoW tournaments at was planning on doing multilayered campaigns, where a game of Vanguard would impact the starting/playing conditions of a follow up game of KoW, and there would be Armada involved too, but the pandemic killed everything and I haven't even been back to that club since 2020