Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Late June I got one of those GW dry brush paints, and went over the previous squad to come up with this, better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Much better I'd say, especially the Iron Ancestors, except for the eyes on the Forge Guard. Unless they're painted to look illuminated they'd be shadowed out by the helmet so they look really weird to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The eyes are white with plasma ghost tint over the top, same as the iron ancestor, but I have a feeling they're just too small for the effect to work, at least at my skill level

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They work better on the Iron Ancestors because of the size and shape of them. On the little ones they look like giant blue irises. It could also be how they show up in a photo. Sometimes that stuff looks fine in person.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Does the red need dry brushing with a lighter shade as well?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

Does the red need dry brushing with a lighter shade as well?

I would do edging or weathering on it.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seldom Posts posted:

Welp, the countdown for the wayland games reserve forces ran down to zero, and now it says "restock expected." I guess it'll be a long time before I see my tank.

Just got an email that my reserve forces from wayland games have shipped. Only a slight time delay, which was worth it for the 20% off I got, imo.

Still not even close to finishing painting my battle for hera deadzone minis though, lol..

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Could anyone tell me what the base size is for a herd stampede? I'm not sure. There are two possible sizes and I'm not sure which one would be right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xutech posted:

Could anyone tell me what the base size is for a herd stampede? I'm not sure. There are two possible sizes and I'm not sure which one would be right.

As per p49 of the BRB, Large Cavalry use 50x50 unless they specify 50x100 in the unit listing, ie your Tribal Chariots - so a Herd Stampede horde is 150x50mm.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

As per p49 of the BRB, Large Cavalry use 50x50 unless they specify 50x100 in the unit listing, ie your Tribal Chariots - so a Herd Stampede horde is 150x50mm.

It's 150x100 I thought? 3x2 at 50x50 per base. So 150 across the front and 100 deep.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's 150x100 I thought? 3x2 at 50x50 per base. So 150 across the front and 100 deep.

Er, yeah, that

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Ok cool thanks friends those are the ones I bought. I wish I could make a stampede out of little shopping carts in rows ala Hot Fuzz

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

xutech posted:

Ok cool thanks friends those are the ones I bought. I wish I could make a stampede out of little shopping carts in rows ala Hot Fuzz

There's literally nothing stopping you. There's no such thing as a "required" model in Kings of War. My only request would be that your army has a consistent theme. If the stampede is shopping carts, then people should be armored in pots and pans and other household appliances.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MightyApe has a 20% off sale for all KoW stuff, bar the brand new releases, until August 31, for those in AU/NZ

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 4, 2017

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Is this the place to ask about Walking Dead: All Out War? I skipped the Kickstarter since I'm not really a fan of the show, comics, or zombies in general--but it looks like a fairly simple skirmish game that has the potential to be played solo. Anyone have any experience with it?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
New Jarvis model is pretty great. Detail is good and it cleaned up easy. The vampire on Pegasus is just as bad as the studio paint job makes it look. Looking forward to starting my Ophidian army.

I figure I'll finish Jarvis around the time their book comes out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Malthusian posted:

Is this the place to ask about Walking Dead: All Out War? I skipped the Kickstarter since I'm not really a fan of the show, comics, or zombies in general--but it looks like a fairly simple skirmish game that has the potential to be played solo. Anyone have any experience with it?

It is, but there are less of us here who play it than the other Mantic games, ie I'm not one of them

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

The Malthusian posted:

All I've played is solo games and it's pretty simple and straightforward. I went all in on the kickstarter so I'm not sure what expansion gives you what but the main game has some linked scenarios, one of the bigger expansions has rules for making your own characters and you can have a pseudo campaign where you keep track of supplies and equipment. You can also pretty easily play one off games. If you don't like zombies, you will probably not like it as the main goal of the game is gather supplies before zombies overwhelm you. The "AI" of the game only affects zombies so you're not fighting a real skirmish but I've run force on force solo before and it's pretty entertaining.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hi, my name is NTRabbit, and after changing stores for my paint and vallejo texture resupply to Mightyape, so that I could get them cheaper, and add two regiments of Ogre Berserker Braves and a Warlock on sale, I now have 52 Mantic points

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I know Mantic is pretty proxy-friendly when it comes to infantry models, but are they similarly cool with proxying vehicles? I'm thinking of grabbing something to use as a Lancer from a kickstarter - then again, they might have actually released the Lancer by the time it's delivered...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Yvonmukluk posted:

I know Mantic is pretty proxy-friendly when it comes to infantry models, but are they similarly cool with proxying vehicles? I'm thinking of grabbing something to use as a Lancer from a kickstarter - then again, they might have actually released the Lancer by the time it's delivered...

I can't imagine they would be, especially if the model hasn't been released, but we'll see.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Played some more Firefight today. I fielded my Asterians for the first time against my Forge Fathers. The shields were far less effective than I thought they were. The Asterians were materially routed, but the way VPs work meant they only lost 15-10 and if it weren't for the Forge Father secret objectives I may even have won. The guys I played it with were very enthusiastic about the game and comparing it to 8th edition 40k they said it was leagues better, specifically because there aren't long stretches where you're doing nothing. Whole game took about 2 hours, but we weren't playing that hard.

Pictures!

The Marionettes were a hit as well. "In person, I actually want to buy these." So I'll take that as a compliment to my painting I guess!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Is edge of the Abyss any good? what are the new rules like?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yvonmukluk posted:

I imagine they'll have the same policy as they do with KoW

Atlas Hugged posted:

Played some more Firefight today. I fielded my Asterians for the first time against my Forge Fathers. The shields were far less effective than I thought they were. The Asterians were materially routed, but the way VPs work meant they only lost 15-10 and if it weren't for the Forge Father secret objectives I may even have won. The guys I played it with were very enthusiastic about the game and comparing it to 8th edition 40k they said it was leagues better, specifically because there aren't long stretches where you're doing nothing. Whole game took about 2 hours, but we weren't playing that hard.

The Marionettes were a hit as well. "In person, I actually want to buy these." So I'll take that as a compliment to my painting I guess!

Nice going!

xutech posted:

I don't have it yet, and since I made a $100 hobby order on a Friday and then got laid off the following Monday, I'm not going to be able to get it any time soon. I think there might be some reviews on blogs by now?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

xutech posted:

I like it. Some of the fluff is reasonably well written (and some is trash, on par with the main rulebook). I like the formations and the new characters, but I don't know how I feel about the scenarios. A whole lotta killng in there.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

how do formations work? I guessed it might be something like a horde (for example) with half archers and half spearmen or something like that

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

drgnvale posted:

I like it. Some of the fluff is reasonably well written (and some is trash, on par with the main rulebook). I like the formations and the new characters, but I don't know how I feel about the scenarios. A whole lotta killng in there.

Fluff is a really weird thing - it's almost never as good as actual fantasy/sci-fi literature especially when it's this inbred as NOT WARHAMMER FICTION. I've basically completely given up on any kind of setting/background reading for any of the games I play. Having said that, I enjoyed 'Fire and Stone' as a scenario book (albeit relatively small scale) so I'm somewhat interested in the rules mechanics here. On the other hand - 'formations' seem like trying to shoehorn the PP/AoS mechanic into a game where you don't need one model to fill out the criteria, but a whole regiment. NAAAA.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's a pretty big split over the formations, and you can predict which set of people are for, but I agree with the people who are calling for the formations to remain in scenario play only, and not be part of tournaments.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

There's a pretty big split over the formations, and you can predict which set of people are for, but I agree with the people who are calling for the formations to remain in scenario play only, and not be part of tournaments.

At which point why even bother with them being official? I'm not really sold either way, but if I want to do a battle with some interesting special rules or a free character I hardly need some grognard in Nottingham to sanction it in a glossy hardback.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Southern Heel posted:

At which point why even bother with them being official? I'm not really sold either way, but if I want to do a battle with some interesting special rules or a free character I hardly need some grognard in Nottingham to sanction it in a glossy hardback.

The reasoning is that it is an easy way to sell sets to new players as part of the official summer campaign, which ultimately is nothing more than a marketing campaign to get people interested and invested in the game. "If you buy these 4 units, you can use them as a formation in the summer campaign and get a special bonus!" To that end, I'm fine with them. But we all saw how they royally hosed up 40k so I don't think anyone with any sense wants to see them in Kings of War.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

xutech posted:

how do formations work? I guessed it might be something like a horde (for example) with half archers and half spearmen or something like that

Not exactly. A formation consists of a set of units and usually a points cost. When these units are in the same army, you can spend the points to get a bonus that applies to those units. The units don't have to fight together or anything - just include them all in the same army and pay any additional.points cost.

For example, off the top of my head, one of the dwarf formations is one horde of Bulwarkers, two regiments of Ironclad, and a King on foot. For an extra 20 (or maybe it's 50?) points, all these units get Iron Resolve and the Bulwarkers get Crushing Strength (1).

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

That sounds very reasonable and much like the special characters that allow you to buy special forces. I like the idea and the fact that I don't feel like an idiot if I don't take it.

As a new player I'm mainly worried about fielding a good starter army and knowing what the current rules are.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

xutech posted:

That sounds very reasonable and much like the special characters that allow you to buy special forces. I like the idea and the fact that I don't feel like an idiot if I don't take it.

As a new player I'm mainly worried about fielding a good starter army and knowing what the current rules are.

Fortunately it's hard to take trap choices or to lose in the army building phase in Kings of War. Take the models you like to get started and as you play some games you'll get a feel for what you need as you work towards 2000 or 2500 points.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Star Saga test samples came in, they're gonna paint them and take more photos after they've taken them to GenCon

Blaine looking good

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

xutech posted:

My favorite one is the undead one that gives ghouls thunderous charge because I've never actually used them and it would be nice to field them once or twice as more than chaff.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

NTRabbit posted:

Star Saga test samples came in, they're gonna paint them and take more photos after they've taken them to GenCon

Protoss army? :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Those are looking pretty good.

Seems Dreadball 2 is on track for shipping to backers before Christmas, which is nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got my 4 forge father tanks and 3 half-tracks, and a bunch of bases of varying sizes! Except they forgot ALL the bases! Fun!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the bases were in the first shipment, and they were on the invoice by mistake. I just got my tanks and tunnel runners too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ogre Siege Breakers work in progress. The shields are Hirst Arts terrain blocks cast in dental stone, then antiqued with pliers.