Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

For those who aren't on the mailing list, the GCPS list has been released, and the Asterian list updated, for Deadzone 2.0. The PDFs also contain the long awaited weapons guides, so you know which plastic gun is meant to be what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Getting a demo game of Kings of War soon, which is rad. Being able to play a horde army without the need to buy literal hordes of infantry is gonna be dope.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Unit based dioramas (with less than max model count) are cool and good

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm looking at GW Beastmen for my army, and I'm just gonna fill the spaces with trees etc. Make it look like a real forest ambush.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds like you have a good plan, go with it! Also don't discount some of the smaller makers when you go looking for heroes or monsters, there's a lot of talented sculptors and good indie places out there.

There's also a facebook group with lots of photos in it, inspiration or information for basing techniques, etc

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 18, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
I'm really going to have to think about how I do my dioramas. . . .

I have the bases, and I have texture paint for the various locales (desert for my Basileans, rocky ground for my undead, etc.) but I'm not too sure what to put on the bases to make them super exciting.

I know my Forces of the Abyss are going to be all jungle/creepy vine-based, and I have a few shoggoths and such to use as hideous flowers, so that's fine, but I have no experience in the whole "diorama" thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I wish I had the patience to do interesting bases, but I'm way more concerned with getting a unit playable than making a diorama.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I won a painting competition at my FLGS and got $30 store credit as a prize, so I put it toward the starter box for The Walking Dead: All Out War - having never played it. Played my first game today and loved it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Getting a demo game of Kings of War soon, which is rad. Being able to play a horde army without the need to buy literal hordes of infantry is gonna be dope.
One of us! One of us!

You may still need a lot of minis, but if you multi-base them (diorama-style) it makes setup/movement/etc much easier vs WHFB and 40k.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like this is more relevant to mantic crowd than the general KS thread: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1273312680/war-is-coming-warmaidens-and-dragonbreds

Apparently their last finished KS fulfilled fine so I backed this one, though we'll see if it opens up to being worth it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

HerrBrau posted:

I won a painting competition at my FLGS and got $30 store credit as a prize, so I put it toward the starter box for The Walking Dead: All Out War - having never played it. Played my first game today and loved it.

I love it so much but I'm having trouble finding people to play it with. Everyone I game with is tired of zombies and it wasn't an easy sell for my non wargaming friends. It is very fun, though and the 2x2 board is just perfect for gaming in my cramped lgs or kitchen table.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Zombies and Walking Dead are basically why I haven't gone near it. I'm sure the rules are fantastic as that's something Mantic tends to get right, but I just do not care at all about the setting.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

The attachment to the TWD IP was my hesitation, too. So, if it stops you, I get it. I gave up on TWD show a few seasons back and have never read the comics. But I picked up the game on a whim because I'd heard the mechanics were great and thought it'd be a fun miniatures game that I could play on the go.

If it helps, the zombies are secondary to the actual goal - scavenging supplies and fighting other bands of survivors for them. I've heard them aptly described as "mobile scenery that bites."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What do I get out of it that I won't get out of Deadzone? I think TWD uses less terrain and obviously it's going to be different mechanically, but "on the go" isn't something I need. I either play at home or the FLGS so needing loads of terrain for Deadzone isn't a big deal. And at least one of the Deadzone supplements has AI zombies, possibly even the same AI rules, so if I wanted to introduce wandering monsters I certainly could.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Beyond anything else, it was just a nice change to be closer to present day. There are a lot of sci-fi or fantasy games but I don't know of a lot of modern war games that don't require you to pick up miniatures from a third party. If I was into Deadzone, I'd still probably pick up TWD just for the change of scenery. Also, minis work well for a fee other games I play.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

jodai posted:

Beyond anything else, it was just a nice change to be closer to present day. There are a lot of sci-fi or fantasy games but I don't know of a lot of modern war games that don't require you to pick up miniatures from a third party. If I was into Deadzone, I'd still probably pick up TWD just for the change of scenery. Also, minis work well for a fee other games I play.

This is true. It's too bad that Mars Attacks seems largely abandoned because that ticks all the boxes: no zombies, an IP I find interesting, modernish setting. Plus the colored plastic pieces make it look like a board game at first glance so it's easier to convince people to play.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've heard there's rules for creating survivors and having a persistent campaign in TWD, so you don't really need to be that engaged with the IP at all. Hell, aside form the rules, you wouldn't even need to buy anything except maybe an equipment booster, you could just buy a bunch of third party miniatures for your forces.

I mean, I'm not that into zombies, so I've not gotten into it myself, but there's options there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Mantic have posted a teaser for Kings of War: Vanguard which is almost certainly the rumored skirmish game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've heard there's rules for creating survivors and having a persistent campaign in TWD, so you don't really need to be that engaged with the IP at all. Hell, aside form the rules, you wouldn't even need to buy anything except maybe an equipment booster, you could just buy a bunch of third party miniatures for your forces.

I mean, I'm not that into zombies, so I've not gotten into it myself, but there's options there.

That's the main thrust of it, TWD has a much better campaign system and model stats based around it.

The character stats are similar to XWing, going from low result to high white-red-blue. So each guy can have a a dice pool of various colors. When you level up you can trade two of a lower value die for a higher value, so character growth is a trade off between occasional streaks of high result versus reliable results.

The down side is that the plastic used for the models is kind of crap. There isn't a lot of fine detail, a lot of the dudes have the helmet hair look of boardgame pieces.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cRoSs PoStin'

NTRabbit posted:

:scrunt: Oath Complete! :scrunt:

The vehicles probably need another go with the matt spray, but I'm weekend road tripping to Melbourne for the AFL grand final starting early tomorrow morning, so that'll have to wait for another time

Claiming chop shop for my custom Red Goblin Blaster made from twine, a warbases MDF cart, some shapeways bombs, and a mantic goblin that I also cut one half of the bow from to turn it into the fuse lighter.

Also claiming Need 4 Speed with the blaster per this post

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Those look great. The edging really helps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also news, like the other large kits, the previously pictured Undead Wyrm also comes boxed with a different head, different rider, and wings, to make the Vampire on Undead Dragon

And first vision of the Fire Elementals, and Greater Fire Elemental

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Man if that dragon had arms and legs it would seriously kick rear end. But I like it better than the wyrm even without them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thanks! Edging was a lot easier to do on those big vehicles with their straight line edges, I tell you

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Man if that dragon had arms and legs it would seriously kick rear end. But I like it better than the wyrm even without them.
Agreed. The head is 90% of the problem with the wyrm. Kind of lazy, but I guess understandable, to re-use the body. Shame, legs would've looked awesome on it.

Love the fire elementals, particularly the greater.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mantic Blog posted:

Ardovikian Plain – no one thought they could do it, but the Kingdoms of Men have built a great wall alongside the Dragon Teeth Mountains to cut off their realm from the marauders in the North. The wall itself is manned (or should that be Ogred) by Ogre Warriors. It’s time to make the Kingdoms of Men great again!

There's that British wit I've been missing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
barf

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah great fuckers make a reference to that idiot instead of, you know, the actual real life wall that actually existed. And parts of which still does. Or more succinctly:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I hope they like my idea of the isolated dwarven kingdom "dwexiting" from the alliance of men and elves. :britain:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Do the GCPS troopers come with alternate heads for female soldiers, or did I dream that? Couldn't see anything about it on the website and won't buy them if not.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vitamin P posted:

Do the GCPS troopers come with alternate heads for female soldiers, or did I dream that? Couldn't see anything about it on the website and won't buy them if not.
Believe so. This is actually something people complained about in the KS.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

I think they're all helmeted except for characters like the LT that came with the Kickstarter set. Nothing stopping you from adding third-party female heads, though; they should be standard 28mm scale.

e.: maybe I should look at the sprues again, I keep getting distracted by things like "other models" and "job."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vitamin P posted:

There are both helmeted and non-helmeted heads female heads on the sprue. I think it might be only one of each though, I don't have one to hand. There are female heads though, I can say that with certainty!

The Ranger helmets are fully face-obscuring.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The GCPS sprue comes with 13 head options: 5 closed face helmets, and 1 closed face helmet with extra stuff on it, all meant for Rangers; 3 open faced male helmets, 1 open faced male helmet with ray-bans, 1 open faced female helmet, and 2 helmetless female.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't mind dumb political jokes in my miniature games because there's a long history of it. It got a chuckle out of me which is more than I can say about anything else in Mantica's fluff at this point.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Mag Uruk Thraka

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Thanks all. Gonna pick me up some GCPS.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ronnie Renton posted:

I’ve spoken for many years about a skirmish game for Kings of War – to act as an easy entry point, and to start an army by the stealth route (before I knew it Deadzone had me a long way to a Warpath army as I kept adding members to my squad).

But I wanted the skirmish game to be set within, alongside, and amongst the battles and wars of Mantica. I recently visited the battlefield of Waterloo – and enjoyed seeing the 3 or 4 battles that happened in the days running up the big bash! The attempts to split the enemy’s force, and interfere with their supply routes. Kings of War: Vanguard seeks to recreate just that. Your best lieutenant takes his trusted band of brothers, heavies and hard bitten warriors to a man (or dwarf) to forage deep behind enemy lines, and come back with their battle plans, their gunpowder or perhaps a princess or two!

The game will feature scenarios that challenge your warband to achieve interesting tactical missions – and these can be played as both one-off games themselves or be the lead up to a big KoW game – and if you lose the battle to protect your gunpowder supplies then you might get less war machines in the big battle! The game will also come with a detailed warband experience and progression system so you can play a long-running campaign of games and watch your characters and Vanguard Company grow and evolve. Very exciting stuff!

Oh, and all the models are going to be unique and fantastic sculpts – so as well as Vanguard you can use them as heroes or unit commanders in your KoW army too!

We hope Vanguard will excite and delight our existing gamers – it’ll allow us to get new figures and units out for the existing armies, plus get all the lapsed generals dipping back into KoW. What’s more, it might also recruit a whole new batch of players to pick it up because it is a low figure count/quick to play skirmish game – and by doing that we’ll introduce a whole new group to the joys of KoW.

Thanks for reading,

Ronnie

p.s. did anyone else see that shadow lurking over there? I wonder if Sister Aurelia has anything to report?

p.p.s. – oh there might be some scenery in Vanguard too, and a gi…

https://manticblog.com/2017/10/06/ronnie-talks-future-kings-war-vanguard/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
When they talked about the future of KoW, for a moment I thought they were going to mention the last three unreleased armies, but this is cool anyways.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's a Vanguard QA up on Mantic's Facebook page. Seems it's closer to Mordheim than I was expecting (or wanting honestly, that market is fairly saturated at the moment).

Square bases, D8s, public alpha "soon", potentially a Kickstarter, Nightstalkers probably in the core set, 3x3 playing area, no grid, 100 point games, models gain experience, games can link together or connect to a full Kings of War game, alternating activations but you can use abilities to move groups simultaneously.

My guess is that you'll have more models than you would with Frostgrave but fewer than with Dragon Rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I'm excited about the possible tie-ins with KoW. Like a skirmish leading to a battle. For campaigns and other narrative play, this could be fun. I do share the concern with saturation, but I think the KoW community will respond well given that it's tied into Mantica and the armies they already play.

Azran posted:

When they talked about the future of KoW, for a moment I thought they were going to mention the last three unreleased armies, but this is cool anyways.
There's way more than 3 if you count Uncharted Empires. I'd like to see them finish out the lines for their "core" armies and improve some of the older models.