Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ogre Siege Breakers work in progress. The shields are Hirst Arts terrain blocks cast in dental stone, then antiqued with pliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of ogres, I'm close to done with some of my Siege Breakers:

I really like these models - they look great, are super easy to assemble and almost all of the painting is pretty easy except for the leather straps, which are just awful.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

HerrBrau posted:

I dig the shields. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Here they are ready for base finishing:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of doofy proportions, I have finished my Ogre army, more or less:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Finished some Reaper giants (NTR's advice against them came too late!) and a Hordes cyclops of some kind for my Ogres:

I thought the cyclops would make a pretty good army standard or captain. He's almost exactly the same size and proportions as the Mantic ogres, plus he has a full face helmet so no painting individual tusks.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not sure if I have that cyclops or not, but it's very hard to find minis that share proportions with Mantic Ogres

The long grass works so well for ogres, it looks fantastic.

Here's the cyclops with some warriors:

A little bulkier, but not too far off. It was in the Skorne starter box. The box also included one of those elephant things, which might actually work OK as a counts-as mammoth.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Are they going to publish rules for all the existing KoW armies in Vanguard?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Anyone know exactly what's going on with Herja of the Fallen on the Varangur list?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

drgnvale posted:

What do you mean? They changed her a bit in CoK '17 (judgement thingy became a one time heal spell, maybe some stat line changes as well), are they changing her again?

https://manticblog.com/2018/01/15/clash-kings-week-unit-changes/

quote:

Varangur – Gift of Korgaan, Fallen and Herja of the Fallen has now been replaced by Magnilde of the Fallen

I'm a lil concerned cause I just bought a model to use for Herja - I hope Magnilde fits the same vague description.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Baby's first gesture at object source lighting in this Varangur Magus Conclave:

The areas of light and shadow don't quite scan but I suppose the fact that it's magical melty tentacles might excuse some out of place glow.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

drgnvale posted:

CoK 18 came in. I’m not a fan of many of the changes, as they all negatively affect the lists I like to use, and it wasn’t like I was winning with them anyway. Not having a use for my Valkia model is also a real bad feeling. Thank Christ I don’t play in tournaments or I’d probably have a rage session over it.

What's the replacement for Valkia? I just bought some Reaper models to convert to Valkia, thank god they were cheap.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

All of these adjustments seem pretty reasonable - sad to see Herja go completely, but the slight nerf to Fallen was probably necessary, as was the adjustment to Guise of the Deceiver. Ten points for Fury and Headstrong was too generous.

The Troll King formation is interesting since it makes a new army idea possible, and the Mammoth Hunter one is extremely flavorful. The Mantic forums are full of people fretting that formations will completely ruin the game, but if these are anything to go by it should be totally fine.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Just got the fantasy crazy box and I am not too impressed:

- Tape measure
- Dungeon Saga monsters bag
- Dungeon Saga heroes (two little blue elves/mermen?)
- Three werewolves
- Skeleton wizard with skeleton dog
- Elven bolt thrower (no crew)
- 2 goblin sprues
- 1 skeleton sprue

I guess that's not bad for the money, but I was hoping for a book and was under the impression that most of the boxes had more stuff in them.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Lesson learned!

Anyway, here are some Stormcast that I'm using as Varangur Fallen:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of Clash of Kings, I'm going to try the new Varangur cave troll formation. Thoughts on this list?

HORDES
The Fallen
The Fallen

TROOPS
Horse Raiders
Tundra Wolves
Tundra Wolves

WAR ENGINE
Magus Conclave

MONSTER
Cavern Dweller

HEROES
Magus (mounted, famulus, Scarletmaw's Amulet)
Skald

TROLL KING'S HORDE
Cave Troll King
Cave Trolls (Horde, Blade of Slashing)
Cave Trolls (Regiment)
Cave Trolls (Regiment)

2000 points

Usually I use Bloodsworn and Sons of Korgaan for my main infantry line, so I'll be interested to see how the trolls do in their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Try the sad thread maybe?

Anyway, this is where the posts cross

Your other Ogre stuff is already great but all of this is amazing.