Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

lilljonas posted:

Humbug, everyone knows that sniffing plastic glue and molten Space Marines is way better than getting high on spray primer.

I think it's a graffiti thing more than huffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

radlum posted:

So has anyone ever bought a Mantic Crazy Box? I'm more interested in Miniature collecting than playing the game so I can enjoy it but I don't know if it will be worth my money

Most of the reviews seem to be making GBS threads on it, a few 5 star scattered here and there copy/pasted a few time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was thinking of jumping into Deadzone, is the support booster for the plague the only way to get that infected teraton?

VVV Thanks, I was going by miniature markets' product selection so I guess they're just not carrying it yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 2, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Quick follow up, the Battlezone sprues are named the same format as the Deadzone scenery sprues so they should be fully compatible right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone have the infected teraton from Deadzone? Is there supposed to be a gaping hole where it looks like something is supposed to slot in on his crotch?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Daedleh posted:

Yeah the mortar team is in a separate booster pack, so if you buy the Teraton by itself then you'll not get the sprue from the mortar team. I don't know when it's going to be corrected.

Email Sarah about the survey if you need the money back. I'm sure there'll be no problem refunding you.

e: here's a sponge weathering tutorial: http://whiteswolves.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/deadzone-terrain-even-speedier-painting.html

I didn't kickstart, I bought it retail, would she still be the person to contact?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For those Americans interested, Miniaturemarket has started taking pre-orders for Battlezones. They're offering the big bastard for $140.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Esser-Z posted:

So if I just base them as floating heads, I can double my army size for the money...

It's what I did to get double/triple the value out of zombies for my Vampire Counts WFB army. Half of the models per box were broken down into arm reaching out of ground, arm reaching out of ground with head and torso on legs lurching about.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BigHandsVince posted:

I haven't played any minatures-based games in about 15 years.

Deadzone reminds me a lot of Necromunda, is that a fair assessment?

Tell my why I want it!

It's kinda like Necromunda but, with the exception of the models, swings a lot closer to a pick up and play board game. If you thought Necromunda got too bogged down in the rules it will be perfect for you, if you thought it had the perfect depth I'd play a few games first or at least watch some game play vids on youtube. The game is fun but I think the sampling rules need a little more depth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Then is drop 2 coming this month or is the 7/30 release date for a bunch of new stuff just an estimate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ShineDog posted:

Wait, does this mean that the enforcer stuff previously.. didn't come on a sprue? huh?

The Deadzone box I bought retail has the enforcers loose I'm bags

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm doing the same, I've built a couple of towers and now made a bridge/gate using two of the large door peaces. But I'm going to nick your catwalk there, as it looks great.

I'm trying to make bits that I'm going to use all the time that I can secure the more modular bits of terrain to. Two level structures are a pain to make, but putting another level off a superglued base is a lot more stable. I put guard rails and the like on my towers, but I think I'm going to leave that as set dessing from now on.

There's a pretty decent guide on youtube for magnetizing the smaller bits like catwalks and cover

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BigHandsVince posted:

Awesome, so 2x scenery sets and 2 extra sets of connectors should be enough if you are just using one mat?

Are there any good guides on painting terrain that looks decent but doesn't take forever? There's going to be a lot of panels to do...

Get an airbrush and prime with whatever color you want to be. Then you can just go over with a brush to add the fine details you want. They wrote a bunch into the fluff about the housing being prefab shipping containers so you can go with a uniformity of look without hurting the aesthetic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Daedleh posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, that Mantic were planning an Open Day in November. And hypothetically we were planning a lot of it to appeal to people who have been disappointed with GWs Games Days for the past few years.

What kind of events/games/whatever do people most look forward to or remember from Games Days of old that Mantic could hypothetically put on?

(also, if you're in the UK - keep your diaries for November fairly empty)

Hells yes, this is why KoW is my favourite game. Flank charges from anything is brutal, but a flanking heavy cav unit will wreck anyones day.

Coordinated multi-table battles was always fun. Rumble in the Jungle and Armageddon were the two I remember. For Rumble they set up about ten tables together with an objective for each one. Anyone that wanted to participate was given a catachan or tyranid unit to control. If you met the objective or wiped out another player they gave you a blister from the respective army. Maybe 4-5 people per side per table were at it constantly.

Armageddon was similar but with objectives that could affect other tables like intercontinental missile launchers. They also added balancing measures that year, if imperial was behind too much they'd announce it and any one join the game as drop podding marines. Orks got Da Foot, a giant foot shaped template that delivered d6 str 10 hits to anything it touched.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 23, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NTRabbit posted:

They're normally pretty quick, but they're a small company and I'm pretty sure they've got almost all hands in the warehouse right now boxing up the second Deadzone wave and Mars Attacks! for kickstarter backers. I know I sent an email on Friday about a football discount order I'd made that had not been sent in 4 weeks, and yesterday I got no personal reply but did get the automated "it has shipped" notice, so the same might happen for you.

Yeah the acrylic counters didn't turn out so well, but the clips work better if you file them down a tiny bit to loosen the fit, and if you remember to use needle nose pliers or something similar to push them out when disassembling, rather than trying to pull or twist.

drat, I was about to ask, I haven't received anything two weeks after submitting my claim on the website

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Daedleh posted:

Drop me a PM with your email, or email me at nickjwilliams1987@gmail.com and I'll try and chase it up for you :) Same goes for anyone who wants to chase anything. Honestly I can't do much more than bug Sarah for you, but I can annoy people pretty effectively :)

Thanks but it actually arrived in the mail this afternoon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe the Nexus Psi campaign book has a scenario with that exact map setup. I think the satellite relay? They suggest using regular floor tiles for the cat walk on base level and anything else at that level as a 100 ft drop.

I didn't kickstart so I dont have access to the new book yet, does it add any depth to the campaign system beyond multiplayer battles?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 31, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In Kings of War, is Biggit a special character or just a title reserved for the goblin that shows the most regressive racial attitudes?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You could always just glue magnet strips to the movement trays and glue metal washers to the model's base. Give you the benefit of better stability when the models are on their own.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I can see s big boost this weekend when they open the build your own hero pledge tier

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
drat, at this rate they'll hit the 700k mark in a few hours.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

The survey should let you add on whatever you want, I'm taking advantage of that. Both this and By Fire and Sword end today and I didn't think to set enough aside for both.

Same, though it's mainly because I haven't decided on throwing in for this one https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-fantasy-dungeon-terrain yet

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the new edition of KoW tone down artillery at all? Almost all of the battle videos I've seen of the game has the match pretty much devides by turn three thanks to a few lucky shots.

Also, is the demon art shown off in the kickstarter just reusing the the concept art? Feels kind of shady to be using the same models as a stretchgoal in two separate campaigns.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God, I really hope that's another model on the desk right behind it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Daedleh posted:

I've no idea about models. I was quite surprised by the strange variety of models that were funded through the KS and would have preferred the funds went towards the Abyssals instead.
Has there been any talk of a slacker backer option like they did with Dreadball Ex

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah Mantic stuff, with the exception of Deadzone and Dreadball, is getting pretty hard to find. Even among online retailers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There are, but true to the current analogs they're the dominatrixes from the Sword of Truth series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I haven't backed too many games and ones I have are usually super popular, is it normal for pledges to slow down this much after the first day?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NTRabbit posted:

The Brood Mother and The Piper are the two space rat leaders, I doubt they're getting any more than that, at least not for Deadzone anyway - two full leaders and a secondary leader is the norm. Pathfinders are probably lacking one really special themed leader, but they're in the Enforcer faction, so they can use those leaders too if they want.

I don't think the piper or the brood mother are the leaders. I think the brood mother is the heavy support like the teratons and piper is a mercenary. They wouldn't make a faction leader a ks exclusive. I suspect we'll see leaders fir both as individual stretch goals.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh cool, I was hoping factions would start getting more leader choices.

Are these pathfinder considered a separate faction from regular enforcers?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, that new scenery pledge level is pretty lovely. $100 for 24 sprues when their current battle zone sectors, with the same number of sprues, retails for $75 even before the standard 20% discount. And you can pay $140 for 50 sprues.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do any of the products come with a better quality card for the Nexus Psi mercs? The slip of paper they come with in the merc booster is kind of disappointing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, after I posted I red in the comments about how they're thinking of ditching the cards so I think I'll hold off until they decide.

Speaking of, I'm glad to see they're learning from their mistakes in the first week. This new update has a lot of value add to the core pledge as well as the add-ons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

glitchkrieg posted:

Is the Deadzone kickstarter a good deal? I'm mostly a Necromunda player, so I'm mainly in it for the scenery but I'm also curious about trying out other skirmish games (especially if they have progression) like Deadzone, Dredd and Infinity. I'm half-tempted to go in at the Quarantine level and possibly add the Containment Protocol stuff, as it's cheaper than picking it up via the Mantic store.

If you mainly want scenery the kickstarter is a really bad deal. The scenery, with the exception of the 5-6 new industrial sprues being kickstarted, can all be had by third party sellers much cheaper than the mantic store. Just look for Battlezones. The scenery is really nice and modular.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Goddamn that's a hell of an update. FORge Father heavy troops in hard plastic and bundle deals for all three factions plastic troops at $1 a model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I really liked about the kickstarter was that almost all the special characters were dual kits so you can run them as normal troops. I asked about the pathfinder commander and was told that they'll get the studio involved to do the same with her.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Granted, but they seem to trying to make each unit have a unique look to avoid any confusion during a game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I have to say, I'm really not feeling the anime/voltron look of the redesigned DOGs. just doesn't feel like it fits the aesthetic of the rest of the line.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

signalnoise posted:

I need this warpath poo poo to come out so I can know if I should just say gently caress it and go to DZC as my mass game.

Rules will be out before the DZ pledge manager at least. They want to accommodate people that pledged in for the possibility of stocking Warpath models from the KS. The $1 a model bundles for the hard plastic basic troopers is really tempting.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think that's why Mantic's been pushing back the Warpath release so much; to make sure that they're ready for the big time out of the gate.

Maybe a little bit, it's more than they recognized that they over extended themselves too much with all the back to back kickstarters.