Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Trying out Armada thanks to loving Man O’War. Unfortunately, my starter set lacks the tokens for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Finished painting up my 100 point demo fleets, and also preparing my larger 250-point Basilean fleet.

I also wrote up a fleet calculator with all the information I have if anyone wants it. I still need to fix the calculations for magic items, max upgrades on ship sizes, variable costs for some upgrades on ships, and captains, but it’s moderately complete.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Armada seems to be doing pretty well at my FLGS. I think we have a dozen people who bought in and are interested - I’m running demos weekly and the ruleset is different enough from anything else currently available.

New expansion adds flyers, so it really seems like it’s going to be a Man O’ War retroclone with pretty good support. The base size is a bit limiting right now in that all ships are the same width, but that’s an advantage.

General impressions so far:
Orcs are wonderfully killy. The Bombboat in particular, while slow, is absolutely brutal with 3C broadsides and two IDW options. Their boarding options are fantastic as well, but lower health can lead to some issues if you miss the initial pass and battle lines.

Dwarfs are expensive and can be out-rammed by Orcs, but their gunnery is top-notch and the engines on them makes them shine in the advanced wind rules. Ships can be a bit costly - their basic Main Battle Ship is 40 and they don’t have a squadron option - but the quality helps cover that.

Basilean ships are odd - they seem to be objective holders more than anything else. If you’re willing to sink points into it, you can run what we’ve taken to calling the “Immortal Abbess” - Blessed Hull, Master Carpenter, and Veteran Crew accompanied by a Sloop Squadron, which can recover 12-17 Structure a turn. Comes in at 82 for both ships, but it’s a nasty combo.

Really looking forward to getting cards for Kingdoms of Men and my incoming Empire of Dust models.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Got in touch with the Philly KoW group, they play once a month which is awesome.

Finished up my first troop of Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls!

Fabelzel makes amazing big hat models, and great job painting them!

My local group is planning a slow-grow escalation map campaign to help a whole group of new players get into the game, and I’m trying to figure out what I should start building. I think maybe Riftforged Orcs, built using some printable oldhammer-style orcs if I can find some suitable ones.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

800 points of Riftforged Orcs ready for my escalation league. We’re starting with Ambush in the first few rounds, so my list is starting pretty basic:
2 Regiments Riftforged Legionnaires
1 Regiment Reborn Legionnaires
1 Troop Fight Wagons
1 Stormbringer on Helstrike Manticore

Not exactly powerful or optimal, but it’s a bunch of solid bricks in the form of my Legionnaires, with the Fight Wagons and Stormbringer aiming to get charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Great looking models. You might find that you are vulnerable to ranged fire as your list is lacking in it, but I guess if the regiments are fairly sturdy, you should be fine to cross the board in one piece.

Yeah, the Riftforged are all 14/16, the Reborn are 15/17 and Inspiring, and they’re all Def 5+, so I’m not terribly worried at the start of things. It’s also Ambush, so slightly smaller board and having a Nimble M10 Flyer should help me out a bit.

There’s also not much ranged for them, which is a bit of a pity - could do some Lightning Bolt wiz-biz on a Stormcaller, I suppose, but otherwise, my ranged options are Skulks or an Ambarox, neither of which fit in where I am now.