Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah I did, I thought they looked thoroughly retarded.

B-but orcish construction :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have any of the Mantic goblins for Kings of War? I like the pointy-eared gobbo design and was wondering how they turned out. Also the Mantic site is out of them at the moment, so I'm wondering what online stores will ship to Canada.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't see any kings of war in stock right now but Meeplemart might be worth contacting since they are in Canada already.

Meeplemart also has the Basicks Soviet Goblins :ussr:

muskets posted:

The gobbos are... variable quality at best, production-wise, and there are some REALLY bad sprue connector locations. Like on the nose, right in the middle of the face. Detail can be decent, can be blurry crap. They used a subpar plastic production process for them and the Basilean men-at-arms, which has been abandoned but left its legacy in two exceptionally bad plastic kits. Use other goblins if possible.

Edit: The Mantic goblins not based on the Spitters plastic sprue are fine. It's just that one sprue is REALLY bad.

Good to know!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I can't seem to find anyone shipping the Goblin rabble to Canada. I guess Mantic needs to whip up some more boxes.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

I've got an email from one of their sales guys saying that their boat from china containing all the goblins got delayed due to bad weather, so they haven't got any goblins at all (this was two weeks ago)

Turns out the day I order the rabble from another store, they're back in stock at Mantic HQ. Oh well, this way I was able to order to some Zomblins from Titan Forge as well :zombie:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my first box of goblins, the rabble specifically. They come on the archer sprues, and the bows are a little mushy and need some work (this must be from the 'old' batch). The metal limbs are just fine. Detail about on par with Warlord games' historical plastic dudes. My D&D games always feature goblins and these guys will work well for a Tolkien-esque group of gobbos, running around serving dark lords and the like.

I'll post my test gobbo once he's done.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'm still learning, but I'm pleased with the results. These guys are fun to paint, they have a lot of character which makes or breaks the model for me.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the Undead Mummies? I've always loved having mummy minis and love the idea of mummy infantry, and warhammer doesn't really have mummies per se.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

Yep!

(I can get something right this time!)

I think I'll be in the minority, but I'm glad for the design they went with, and look forward to picking up a box at my FLGS or Gen Con.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, were there plans to do another Kings of War kickstarter, or is that just a rumour?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Plans yes, to kickstart the Abyssals and Forces of Nature armies plus whatever else they reached, but whether it happens this year or next year is up in the air

Hmm... Good to know!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love it :3:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I was given an older army set of Abyssal Dwarves, does anyone have any good guides or ideas for painting them up? The classic red/bronze/black look is pretty spiffy, but I was curious if anyone had any better suggestions. Does Mantic have painting guides on their website, like GW used to? :vomarine:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Guys. Mantic terrain. To permanently glue into structure shapes, or not to permanently glue? I'm conflicted.

Depends, do you visit your friends to play, or do you host games :getin:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Esser-Z posted:

Crossposting!

WIP Mantic Orks, from the Marauder one-player starter set I got for $34 (shipped). I think I'm going to add some bronze to parts of the armor to make it a bit more patwork-orky and break up the silver a bit. Also need to do the eyes what're visible and the teeth, plus some small details on the bodies.

Pretty happy with them so far, though!

I've got some of their fantasy orks and I'm glad to see the can be easily kitbashed.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if another Kings of War kickstarter is on the way? I'm doing some budgeting and looking to set aside my funds for gencon, and wondering how best to spend the on Mantic minis.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Finally got into the DBX pledge manager after they posted the password recovery link in an update.

Now to get in and out with a minimum of extra money committed.

I almost doubled my last kickstarter pledge amount :signings:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I entered the short story contest for the Dreadball Xtreme game, has there been any 'canonical' fluff as of yet, or is it all up to you, the player?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just realised the plastic mantic boxes my orcs and gobbos came in are just re-purposed VHS cases :vince:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

They used to put a bunch of silly stuff in the small print on the box, since nobody really reads that "THIS IS A MODEL KIT AND NOT A TOY" stuff after seeing it 500+ times.

I'm really liking the cut of their jib :3:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Esser-Z posted:

Mantic seriously seems like good people. They're clearly excited about the hobby. It's nice to see.

They will be getting more of my money!

My skeleton catapult reads "Mantic Entertainment recommends its products for living humans ages 10 and up. Assemble your models in a well ventilated area - decomposing undead are known to stink."

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, my FLGS has a Baldr's Armoured Battalion on clearance for $70 :canada: and I'm wondering if anyone has ordered spare metal parts from Mantic? I'm hoping to use them for an Abyssal Dwarf army and am tempted to get them if I can get the metal conversion parts.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

I just nip down to the warehouse whenever I want bits :)

From what I've heard they're dead good about sorting out bits orders. Contact them through the form here: http://www.manticgames.com/contact.html to work out a deal of some sort.

It might be an idea to look up unboxings like this one to get an idea of what sprues there are.

Thanks!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

There are also like 4 or 5 ways to foul, so even if you aren't a big wrecker team you can still abuse the ref. There's a whole side of the game around loving with the referee.

Fantastic.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

You guys have been awesome. As I get around to getting models and get a better idea of what I'm doing im sure i'll have more questions. I'm glad they have made their games affordable because I want to play all of them.

Yeah, I was recently introduced to Mantic after buying two dwarven armies for clearance at my FLGS, and now I'm actually wanting to get into wargaming.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

One thing that KoW really needs is more background. I've been writing up background for a campaign day I'm running soon and ran it past the fluff bible expert to make sure it doesn't contradict anything. The thing is that unless you write about Basilea, there's very little for you to contradict on.

Deadzone has done an amazing job of creating the Warpath universe and I'm hoping that DKQ can do the same for KoW.

I've been trying to get back into writing, so I hope they are looking for fluff writers :kimchi:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The first thing they need to fix is the world's name. Mantica is about as imaginative as Poochy.

Well, that's what the :airquote: humans :airquote: call it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I submitted something for the DBX compendium for the same reasons, but not heard back

I think they are hella busy at the moment, considering the big world cup sales But I'm also anxious too

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigHandsVince posted:

So, I gave in and bought Dead zone, after having nothing to do with miniatures for about 13 years.

I bought a set of war machine guys to practice painting on before the deadzone ones, does anyone have any good total noob painting advice?

Also is there anyone in Scotland (east) that I'd be able to play this with?

Don't worry if the first model you paint looks crummy, especially if you're like me, my own worst critic ;)

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darksaber posted:

And reading this thread reminds me that I really need to finish up the mantic undead I have and grab some more.

I like the classic blue and white scheme they use for their display minis (I think I will cut out the red) but I need to decide what type of insignia I want to use/is easy enough to freehand.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it seems like they want to be transparent about this, and make sure to warn folks before springing it on them which seems to be the best way to go about it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tell them I said hello :3:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if anyone else applied for the open design call Mantic made about a month ago, but I just submitted my Kings of War campaign. Writing about about orcs, goblins, and other greenskins is my dream job :getin: :orks:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Awww yisss, the guys at Mantic gave me an extra metal mawbeast and handler with my Mantic Points order, I'm feeling pretty cool right now :woop:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I decided I don't really care about using doors for buildings right now because I am not going to gently caress with removable ceilings. So I made a border guard security checkpoint.

Reminds me of the old subway terminals.

No ticket :haw:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any Mantic fans going to Gen con this year? My fiancee and I signed up for one of the intro games and I'm hoping to paint a force of abyssal dwarves before then.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the comment where someone mentioned they met the initially $50,000 funding mark after four minutes.

The fanbase was well-prepared :getin:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious to see what the skull markers look like, but the resin figures/epic ones do not intrigue me, or the extra maps. However, if they ship the $30 undead figures before next year I'd be pleased :3:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it was mentioned here before, but does anyone here contribute to the Ironwatch fan-journal?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I missed the clarification, but if we order the extra $30 add-ons will they be mailed shortly, or when everthing is done? $30 for the undead and gobbo extra packs are a nice deal.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quest Jefferson posted:

I had a great demo of DB at GenCon and picked up the Azure Forest set, can anyone tell me where the Mantic Points are in the box? If there aren't any I'm not too torn up about it, but I do also want to get my hands on one of the exclusive coaches.

Sup fellow gencon attendee? I know I took advantage of that 3 for 2 deal they had on plastic boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One quick question for the DS Kickstarter: if I pledge a small amount now, can I go back later and up my pledge to $100 after the KS ends, to get the full game? Just checking as I may have to cover a previously unexpected bill when I get paid (:(), but I still want in on this. Much obliged :tipshat:

From what I've heard of their prior Kickstarters (and from Chris at Gencon), that seems to be in the cards.