Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I recently decided to get back into the mini wargames hobby only to discover that my once-loved WHFB is dead and gone (essentially), but KoW looks like a really worthy successor!

I am currently anxiously awaiting my Dwarf mega-force and other assorted dwarves on their way from the UK. But getting almost 2000 base points of minis for $200 is a pretty great deal. And, while the GW models for 40K/AoS might be technically better and more detailed... I think Mantic's models look great and capture a bit of that classic fantasy feel I was hoping to find.

Pretty psyched about this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Multi-basing is something I've considered, but haven't decided on. I definitely like the rank and file aesthetic and would definitely lean toward the "preferred model count" if not the max, but a little variation looks good too - I dig those goblin bases. I think goblins or orcs will be my second army.

Any recommendations for bases and/or movement trays?

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Finally got my dwarfs assembled after a few weeks of nights and weekends. I've decided to multi-base everything in minimum unit sizes that I'd want. These can then be combined into larger units as needed. All 151 models (not counting the chests that go with the siege engines):

A few pains-in-the-rear end so far:

• Clipping off those round Mantic bases sucks. I did about 20 this evening after the photo. 96 to go...
  • A few minis - especially the metal/plastic combos - required a lot of clipping, trimming, and green stuff. In fact, the Bulwarker spears were so flimsy that I only ended up with 16 usable models. These have yet to be green stuffed.
  • Fitting minis into regiments of 20 is virtually impossible given arms/weapons/etc; so, I am scaling them down to 16 to match the Bulwarker regiment. This is still 2 over the "preferred model count" and I have even more bits and throwaway models for experimentation.

Still quite a bit more prep work before I can prime them. I'm hoping to get prep work done by the end of the month, but all this grey/silver is weighing on me. So, I made a little basing sample (front-and-center in the photo) to get some color in back in my hobby life...

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Get a razor saw
I have an Xacto one, but I find the clipping is faster (though, less clean). And it's tough to hold the minis steady while sawing.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

IMO hold the mini against a cutting mat. It's easier than holding it in the air. Start at the thinnest part of the feet. You can also accomplish flat feet by clipping away most of the disc and then sanding the nubs away. If you do clip, use a flush cutter. What are you clipping with?
A flush cutter. Works great, though a bit more error prone around the feet. Sanding/filing takes a while, but it's probably safer ultimately.

I was cutting against the mat with the saw, but holding the mini steady would make my knuckles sore after a bit. Some kind of soft grip vise would be ideal...

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What is the best source for movement trays for Kings of War? I don't really think I would have a chance to play anytime soon, but I would like to get my Beastmen ready all the same.
I ordered mine from Ironheart Artisans.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Finally played my first game of KoW this week! A FLGS about half an hour north of me has a pretty big Mantic community - including a KoW league - so I popped in on league night with 1000 pts of dwarfs to see if I could get a game in.

Played against elves. After his second turn (before mine), his Drakon Riders and Tree Herder had killed my horde of Ironclads and regiment of Ironwatch Rifles and offered to call it there if I wanted.

I thought about it, but decided I might as well finish my first game - I still had two troops of Brock Riders, ASB, King, and Organ Gun... well, I won. In fact, I was well on my way to tabling him on turn 4 when we called it! What saved me was my Brocks coming in from the table flanks as well as his three failed attempts to kill my ASB with his Tree Herder. I actually felt kinda awkward about it, but he seemed gracious in defeat.

Really fun, looking forward to more!

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

If your FLGS has trouble, I've gotten a bunch directly from Mantic (shipping was $12.50 because I spent over $150 and took just about two weeks). You can also buy from sellers on Amazon and eBay.

On top of that, the game is super flexible about proxy and "counts-as" models and some people don't buy Mantic at all.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Adding my agreement. I haven't played much or for very long, but of the games I've played, nothing has felt broken or unbalanced in a significant way.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I played KoW this week for the first time in a couple weeks.

It was my dwarfs against a cavalry-heavy, elite unit Varangur list. We both made mistakes (me, more than him, though) and it was a loss for my dwarfs. The first two turns consisted of me inching forward and trying to coax him into charging with his cavalry, which he wasn't doing for some reason. When he finally did, well, even the hardy Ironguard can't stand up to two regiments of Mounted Sons of Korgaan. Kind of wish I'd had Bulwarkers or that my opponent had set up some difficult terrain I could use to my advantage instead of only blocking terrain.

His King on Chimera swept behind my lines and killed my war machines and proceeded to start flanking what was left of infantry support.

On one flank, around two objectives, my elementals and a steel behemoth faced off against two hordes of trolls, a troll king, and a magus with a bunch of spells. I only managed to kill one group of trolls (regen, ugh!) and some of the cavalry. I'm really learning the value of multi-charging and killing things in one turn. Too bad our dwarfs don't hit hard enough, generally.

The game itself was fine, but there were sportsmanship issues that made it miserable. My opponent regularly walked away from the table mid-turn to take phone calls (or for no obvious reason) making the game take ages. At one point, he inexplicably yelled at one of his units - yes, those inanimate objects on the table - loud enough to elicit staring from everyone in the shop... talk about awkward and uncomfortable. That makes two games in a row with similar experiences (this one was worse, though).

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

KoW news, renders of the upcoming Revenant King on Undead Wyrm, has to be resin at this size, though I guess the King himself could be metal confirmed resin
Looks decent. I think Mantic is really starting to spin up their new in-house resin casting facility and some of these models show that (also thinking of the new KoW summer campaign character minis).

I picked up this classic on eBay for mine:

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I get why it doesn't have legs (as a wyrm), but I think that's what detracts from it for me. It doesn't look fast/threatening just squished up on the ground like that. A more dynamic pose would really help - rearing up on top of a boulder or something to that effect - and it could still fit on a 50x50 base (which I assume is why it's all squished up to begin with).

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

As I understand it, they're meant to be interchangeable - I believe the Historicals book, which I've only skimmed so far, says as much.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

xutech posted:

how do formations work? I guessed it might be something like a horde (for example) with half archers and half spearmen or something like that

Not exactly. A formation consists of a set of units and usually a points cost. When these units are in the same army, you can spend the points to get a bonus that applies to those units. The units don't have to fight together or anything - just include them all in the same army and pay any additional.points cost.

For example, off the top of my head, one of the dwarf formations is one horde of Bulwarkers, two regiments of Ironclad, and a King on foot. For an extra 20 (or maybe it's 50?) points, all these units get Iron Resolve and the Bulwarkers get Crushing Strength (1).

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I dig the shields. :thumbsup:

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

As a Dwarf player... :dance:

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Still don't like the head on the wyrm. I've got an oldhammer model for when I get around to building my Undead.

But, yeah, they are stepping up their game for sure.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I won a painting competition at my FLGS and got $30 store credit as a prize, so I put it toward the starter box for The Walking Dead: All Out War - having never played it. Played my first game today and loved it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Getting a demo game of Kings of War soon, which is rad. Being able to play a horde army without the need to buy literal hordes of infantry is gonna be dope.
One of us! One of us!

You may still need a lot of minis, but if you multi-base them (diorama-style) it makes setup/movement/etc much easier vs WHFB and 40k.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

The attachment to the TWD IP was my hesitation, too. So, if it stops you, I get it. I gave up on TWD show a few seasons back and have never read the comics. But I picked up the game on a whim because I'd heard the mechanics were great and thought it'd be a fun miniatures game that I could play on the go.

If it helps, the zombies are secondary to the actual goal - scavenging supplies and fighting other bands of survivors for them. I've heard them aptly described as "mobile scenery that bites."

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Man if that dragon had arms and legs it would seriously kick rear end. But I like it better than the wyrm even without them.
Agreed. The head is 90% of the problem with the wyrm. Kind of lazy, but I guess understandable, to re-use the body. Shame, legs would've looked awesome on it.

Love the fire elementals, particularly the greater.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I'm excited about the possible tie-ins with KoW. Like a skirmish leading to a battle. For campaigns and other narrative play, this could be fun. I do share the concern with saturation, but I think the KoW community will respond well given that it's tied into Mantica and the armies they already play.

Azran posted:

When they talked about the future of KoW, for a moment I thought they were going to mention the last three unreleased armies, but this is cool anyways.
There's way more than 3 if you count Uncharted Empires. I'd like to see them finish out the lines for their "core" armies and improve some of the older models.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Yeah, I was a bit surprised they decided to go with KS for Vanguard because I feel like they've taken some flak for being too KS-centric, with the suggestion being thrown around that retailers don't want to stock their stuff because they're seen as a KS company. I'll still back it, of course, because KoW is far and away my game of choice.

I do worry that they spread themselves too thin and with other fantasy skirmish games and Oathmark coming down the pike to compete in the rank n' flank arena, I hope they can maintain focus. They make really fantastic rules and decent enough models.

I'm not sure what their biggest game (in terms of revenue) is, but I have to imagine it's KoW followed by TWD:AOW just based on FB group numbers. Though, with KoW, they probably struggle with many players not buying Mantic models because they have GW models. They really need to flesh out the existing armies from the core rulebook at the very least (filling gaps in ranges, etc) at a greater pace than a couple new resin monsters here and there.

EDIT: New Vanguard info on Character Cards revealed!

EDIT 2: And I just got an email informing me that my Steel Behemoth and TWD Scenery Pack are on their way from merry old England! :dance:

herr brau fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 17, 2017

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Backed this on day one for the single-player set. I'll likely bump to $130 and get both full warbands.

I guess I'm not as critical of the KS as most people. I've read the alpha rules and warband lists and am excited to try it out as a complement to my main game, KoW.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Increased my pledge to $160 for the "Join the Vanguard" level with room for adding on the other warband and the neoprene mat.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Upped from $160 to $180 so I could get the Abyssal resins. :whatup:

Xarlaxas posted:

Yeah, I was quite happily going "no more Kickstarter for me this year" then Mantic went and upped their game: Abyssals and Basileans are my two main armies, so $105 gets me the full warbands, mat, and terrain? Sign me up!
Assuming you're getting the $85 single warband set and the neoprene mat, you may want to add another $20 and get the Abyssal resins. The $85 sets only come with the "starter" warbands for Abyssals (i.e. hard plastics, no resins).

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

From what I've read and heard, she's being removed from the list under CoK 18 and replaced with Magnilde. I'm not sure if she'll be the same Magnilde stats as were in the Edge of the Abyss campaign.

In other news, new formations were previewed today: https://manticblog.com/2018/01/18/clash-kings-new-formations/

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

As a Kings of War player, there's a lot to love...

• The game itself is well-balanced and tactical, focused on movement, positioning, and piece trading
  • Easy to learn, hard to master
  • Dedicated and friendly community
  • Strong tournament scene in the US and UK
  • There are clubs in most regions

There's a lot of be frustrated about, too...

• Reliance on Kickstarter weakens potential for organic growth via FLGS - no incentive to stock Mantic products
  • Acceptance of people who just want to play with their old WHFB armies gained them lots of new players, but it's hard to turn that into sustainable revenue
  • KoW relies entirely on the community, which is almost exclusively found on Facebook groups (which has its own pros/cons)

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Friend was off work today so he came by - and I took a few hours off, myself - for a lunchtime game of KoW.

My in-progress Undead vs. his Orcs. Scenario was Scavenge from Clash of Kings 2019. Orcs won by 2; turn 7 would meant a probable draw.

A good close, tactical game as always.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I can hear the Warcraft 2 music in my head looking at those ships.
My thoughts exactly. Very ready for this!

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Hedningen posted:

Trying out Armada thanks to loving Man O’War. Unfortunately, my starter set lacks the tokens for some reason.
Definitely email their support if you haven't. They are really good about making these kind of things right.

I've been playing a lot of Armada with my regular gaming buddy. It's a lot of fun. He decided to go all-in on Black Seas because he leans a bit more historical than I do.

I made a couple islands and bought an ocean mat and we played last night with the starter set boats:

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I love the halflings. Really tempted by them, but I have a Mantic Orc army in my queue.

My friend and I are all in on Armada lately. I pre-ordered the Basilean, Dwarf, and Orc XL ships today as those are the fleets I have.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Ugleb posted:

My League of Infamy box escaped the clutches of UPS!

As we are talking about Halflings, these look pretty decent and the big guy is glorious.

If I recall from the stream last weekend, they said the Iron Beast would be a unit in the KoW halfling army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

They have gotten better about cohesion in newer armies, but you're absolutely right. The Salamander warrior sculpts in particular are pretty old at this point, which is probably why they don't feel like they quite fit with the newer Salamander models. Unfortunately, I doubt they have anything like the resources to re-do their old ranges to bring the mixed aesthetics in line. They're certainly not approaching GW resources ($5bn company).