Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

I'm in the market for a Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 Macro Lens because it is an affordable macro option in that focal length for me. However they stopped manufacturing this lens long before the Canon EF mount came about.

Am I correct in my understanding that a Canon FD or Minolta SR mount will not adapt well to a canon EF body due to the need for extra optics in the adapter? And am I also correct in assuming that an Olympia or Nikon version will convert just fine to a Canon EF mount since no optics are required?

For reference it will be going on a 5D MKII.

Used that exact lens (Olympus mount version) on that exact camera at my old job! If you've got time to set up on a tripod and fine-tune focus with LiveView, it's a winning combination.

There's a 1:1 adapter (optical) that will hopefully be included with the lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Just a 70-200 F4. I missed too many photos this last weekend due to the wonky AF in my sigma, so it's time to move on.

It's probably the best bang for the buck of the L glass. I really liked mine (until I dropped it :negative:).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dakana posted:

Sigma makes a 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF HSM. No idea how it really performs, but it's pretty unique in that it's a 12mm rectilinear on full frame.

I've got it, it's a one-trick pony, but it does that trick well.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I thought getting it right the first time was a pretty good excuse for no firmware updates.

:iceburn:

Google Butt posted:

Hey guys. I've been shooting with a 7d and 6 Carl Zeiss c/y for years and recently I've been kind of losing interest in photography. I want to jump to full frame to change it up, I was going to to get the Nikon d610 but it looks like there's no real way to adapt my c/y glass :(. I've been looking into the Sony a7, it's right in my price range but I'm still unsure of the trade offs with say, the 5d mk ii. I know people complain about battery life and the shutter lag/black out time. How's the a7 for portraits with off camera strobes?

Would anyone here still choose the 5d mkii over the a7?

With the upcoming A7ii you'd be adding in-body stablization to those c/y lenses, which is a pretty sweet proposition coming from a Canon body. I dunno how ergonomics shooting with them would be though, as others have said, the appeal of the mirrorless bodies is the portability, and slapping an SLR lens on there with an adapter kinda kills that for a lot of people.

Personally I might pick up a used NEX, m43, or Fuji body (NEX or m43 will probably be cheaper though) and see how I like it. I was not prepared to like my NEX-3 as much as I did, it quickly replaced my 5D and 24-70L for basically everything.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone ever bought a light tent? I want to do some product photography and am not really sure if I should buy extra big to be safe, or if there are any advantages (aside from not taking up too much room) to buying just big enough. Also, hotlights? I only have a single speedlight and it's currently overseas.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here uses a Sigma 12-24mm on a fullframe camera? Do you end up using the ultra-wide end of the lens often? I'm trying to decide whether I want a Sigma 12-24mm/4.5-5.6 II, or go for a Canon 16-35mm for the 2.8 aperture.

I had version 1 of the Sigma 12-24. It's very much a one-trick pony, I think the Canon 16-35 is probably more useful unless you absolutely need 12mm. Although I probably wouldn't even buy the Canon, I found 24mm was usually fine for me on FF (that's more my shooting style though).