Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Review of the ThinkTank Steroid belt, Racing Harness (shoulder straps), and Digital Holster 50 v2.0, along with Lowepro 13/32cm lens case:

The belt is really comfortable but if you're going to have a big camera+lens in the holster (gripped pro body + 70-200mm f/2.8 with hood, something like that) you'll want the shoulder straps. Makes the whole thing very comfortable. Having that unzippable drop-down section of the bag is a huge help and will let you keep the hood attached in shooting position, which is awesome.

The Lowepro case is a lowepro case. There's a billion of them out there and you know what you're getting with them. Very well-padded, almost too well-padded. It's a tight fit for lenses with an attached hood.

Here's me jumping over flames wearing all of it because I am a smart person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

voodoorootbeer posted:

National loving Throw Your 18-55 Off A Bridge Day.

This sounds like a fun day :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Are the TSA cool with folks brining tripods on as hand luggage at full size? If so that's certainly an option and I have a pack that will take it. I was thinking something smaller would be less likely to be vetoed by them.

If it's in a case/bag of some sort, probably. They've gotten a little better about things they'll allow over the last couple years. It depends on how big it is when collapsed though.

Hell I remember seeing hockey and lacrosse sticks allowed as carryons all the time before 9/11. That was great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is anyone excited about Tamron's new 150-600? $1069 seems too good to be true unless I'm missing something. I love my Tamron 70-300 and wouldn't mind throwing a few more bucks their way.

That is one hell of a range and it's rare to see glass be good when the range is that wide. That said, being able to close down to f/40 is neat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

Surely they wouldn't...

You know, you can say this about almost any decision any camera company makes, but they always find a way to surprise and terrify us. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Everyone here seems to have a very favorable opinion of 'BGN' grade lenses from KEH, but has anyone purchased a body from them at BGN grade quality? They have an EOS 3 with the power booster in BGN condition for a really good price, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

I believe they've got a very good return policy, if memory serves. I'd just make certain of it then go ahead. Knowing KEH, it's probably rated BGN mostly because it's got some dings or scratches in the body.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gvibes posted:

Minor update: KEH is replacing it under warranty. Thanks KEH.

That's awesome :toot: KEH is good people

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is a fantastic travel lens, I've found.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

loving all cameras with WiFi should just work like this. No lovely apps. Just act like a hotspot with a webserver showing pictures/movies on the card. Menu page for setting the password and SSID name is all you'd need to configure. Even better if the webpage offered multiple download options for downscaling the image from the native size on the card in case you didn't want the full 36MP image for FB.

Unless i'm wrong, that sounds like it would empty the battery in very short order.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haggins posted:

They make plastic bags for dslrs that cost only a couple bucks. Just check on Amazon or B&H. You shouldn't need to hot glue anything to your camera.

Yeah those OP-Tech Rain Sleeves are fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm heading up to Canada for a week, and I'm hoping to take a few panoramas of the area and time lapses of the night sky since being in the middle of nowhere always makes that look great.

I've got a 18-75 (I think, whatever Canon shipped with the t3i) and a 50 prime, what lenses would you guys recommend for the above activities to either rent for the week or buy?

Wider is better, IMO. If you can rent something in the 6-14mm range that would help.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

I have a Mamiya 645 to EOS adapter. I also have a Pentacon 6 to Mamiya 645 adapter. This setup lets me use both Pentacon 6 and Mamiya 645 lenses on my Canon DSLRs. I also have an EOS to E-mount adapter, so I can also use Pentacon 6 lenses on my NEX 5N.

Big rear end lenses on little rear end bodies woooo :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

20/1.7 is the panasonic 20mm f/1.7

Yeah, I have this lens (as do a lot of other m4/3 owners) and it rarely comes off. Fantastic walk-around and starter lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Alright so that's on my buy list. What about something like a 14-150 or 40-150? Is there any particular stand out lense you would suggest for more distance? Any cheaper lenses that would just be fun to play with?

THe 40-150 isn't bad and pretty inexpensive, especially used.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This seems as good a place to ask as any: I'm looking for a good tablet holder that could sit on a tripod. It's a pretty large tablet, to be sure (Galaxy Note Pro), but I'd like to use it to take video of some lacrosse players I'm coaching and edit/analyze it in an app called Coaches Eye.

Ordinarily I'd just set my OMD up on it and convert the video to what I need but the app doesn't seem to play nice with importing. Any suggestions? Is there something I could instead just rig up with some clamps and parts from a hardware store?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

I am seriously thinking about selling all my DSLRs and lenses and committing to m4/3.

Much as my Canon kit gives me a semi when I use it, I can't avoid the fact that it hasn't been used for maybe a year. My teeny-tiny Panasonic is just so light and convenient and frankly, the dynamic range seems better.

I should just bite the bullet, shouldn't I? If I need anything for serious work, then I could always buy a Panasonic GH? or an Olympus.

I honestly have not missed my DSLR setup at all since getting an OM-D EM-5. Having a 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/1.8 that are so small as to be pocketable (on their own, not mounted) is incredible. The 45mm f/1.8 and 75mm f/1.8 focus every bit as fast as my high end DSLR glass did.

It slogs a little bit with C-AF/Servo AF, depending on the subject, and the batteries don't last as long (which isn't shocking, they're obviously smaller than what you'd use for a big pro body DSLR), but if those are my two biggest complaints, I figure I'm coming out well ahead.

Currently I can carry my body with grip, 6 lenses (OK two of them are body cap lenses, but still...), and any accessories I want, in a bag the size of a shoebox. I really can't argue with that at all. To be able to take everything short of a telephoto (like a 70-300mm) along on a trip without even a second thought is fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Do you still get the same 'feel' of using a DSLR? To get the camera to do what you want to do, rather than trust the (usually excellent) auto-features? How is the responsiveness when you press the shutter release?

Short answer: Yes. The EVF can take a little getting used to, but everything has the same feel. That being said, I'm going from Olympus DSLR system to Olympus mirrorless system, and controls, menu layout, etc. are all very similar.

Long :spergin: answer:

The best comparison I can give you is from the Spartan Race events I shot last year (Olympus E-5 with 35-100mm f/2.0) and this year (OM-D with 75mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8, 45mm f/1.8). To give you an idea, I'm usually posted at the end of a long mud crawl under barbed wire to shoot racers just as they're getting clear of the obstacle.

If the E-5 lagged anywhere it was with burst mode. It was rated at a pretty mediocre 5FPS and it didn't feel like I was even getting that sometimes. OM-D gives me 9FPS. I felt a step slower with the OM-D for a while before I realized I was leaving Quick View on with the viewfinder :downs:. Once I killed that, I was getting quick flashes of the pictures right as they happened, then immediately back to live view. It takes a little getting used to, but I wound up really falling in love with having the EVF and knowing exactly how each image was going to look before I fired the next burst.

I didn't feel any more shutter lag/delay with the OM-D than I did my old E-5. In fact, the OM-D feels a shred faster, but that might be because the E-5's shutter button doesn't really have a positive 'click' feel (it's basically a mushy press). Both the on-body shutter button and the 2 on the battery grip feel great, although the E-5 filled my hand better. That's probably not shocking since I'm 6'6".

Having such a dramatic change in weight was an absolute godsend. The E-5 is a plenty big body, and the 35-100mm is a very hefty lens (3.64 lbs/1.65 kg). These events are constant shooting from 7:30AM until whenever the last runner passes (anywhere from 10-12 hours later). The difference in weight becomes really noticeable as the day goes on and you wear down. Each race, I'll shoot somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 photos.

The E-5 seemed to be a little better with C-AF/Servo AF. The OM-D feels almost "jumpy" here. Best I can describe it is to say it almost feels too eager to find a new focus point. The E-5 seemed to lock on the subject a bit better. To be fair, I'm also comparing small, fast primes on the OM-D to a huge zoom lens with the E-5 so take that for what it's worth.

The one big advantage the E-5 had was in battery life, but the E-5 takes a huge battery compared to the OM-D, and I'm sure the EVF can be pretty draining itself, especially when you're also asking a hell of a lot of it in terms of focus, burst mode, etc. I do wish a speed charger existed for their batteries. Promaster had one for my E-5 and that was fantastic. The OM-D batteries can take 3-4 hours to recharge at times. The other advantage with the E-5 was having two-card capacity (1 SD slot, 1 CF slot).

Overall I really don't find myself missing the big DSLR setup, that's partly because the OM-D with a battery grip is basically built to have that very similar feel, just smaller/lighter. I can't speak to the PEN bodies or Panasonic bodies, personally.

God drat that was a lot of words.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Happy to help :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: Wrong thread because I'm dumb!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 18, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sigma just announced a 150-600mm f5-6.3 OS Sport lens. Supposedly it will be higher quality glass than the Tamron and will be weather sealed. Probably a little more expensive than the Tammy.

That's a hell of a reach but f/6.3? Woof.

I don't know if I'd want that trade-off. I mean, I know you're not gonna get a 600mm f/2.8 for less than $crazy, but that seems like overkill length for a really slow aperture.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, it's not really competing with the super expensive fast lenses, it's competing with a 70-300 with a teleconverter.

Also I hope they can release it in A mount sooner than Tamron has been able to.

aaahh OK I hadn't thought of it that way. My bad then

Shellman posted:

1200 mm f8 and be way over there.

lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I've been fortunate to do a lot of travelling with my camera gear and I've found I'm very rarely using glass longer than 35 to 40mm

Telephotos do have their place though, especially if you go looking for wildlife or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tarnien posted:

Do lenses usually get any black friday lovin'? Looking to pick up the Sigma 18-35 1.8, but willing to wait if there's a chance it'll drop by $100 or something in the next couple months.

Some, but from what I've seen it's mostly for things like kit lenses and entry level gear.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

Are third party batteries pretty safe to use? There's a package deal on Adorama for the D7100 that includes one but I've never used anything other than official Nikon ones.

I've used 3rd party batteries from Promaster, Wasabi, and a few other companies and all of them have run fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

number one pta fan posted:

Or if I should stop being a baby and get a DSLR.

Nowadays you don't really have a lot of advantages in a DSLR vs. a mirrorless body like the XM-1. Sensors by and wide are as good (if not better) than their DSLR counterparts, unless you're getting into the super high-end full frame DSLRs. About the 2 places mirrorless cameras can lag behind is in burst speeds and high ISO noise, although they don't lag behind with the latter nearly as much these days.

What's great about mirrorless cameras is their size, especially for travel. It's really easy to pack a mirrorless body and 1 or 2 lenses with almost negligible weight. I took a 2 week trip a couple years ago with my DSLR and some big lenses, and later a mirrorless body with a few lenses for a week on another trip. Comparing it, I'll take the mirrorless 10 times out of 10.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 15, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the EM5 is 9 FPS and I think the EM1 is 10.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

I'm getting ready to take a trip to Paris, and am considering whether I want to bother bringing my DSLR, a Nikon D50. In case I do, I'm starting to look at the lens issue. Right now I have the standard entry 28-80mm (something like that, don't remember the exact numbers) and 70-300mm. I know at the very least I'd want to get a fixed 50mm and not bring the 28-80, which is fine since those are cheap enough (or maybe even forget a short lens and just use my phone for that distance). But what about the longer one? I've briefly looked at fixed lenses in that range, but those appear to be beyond what I'd really like to pay, instead of just using what I have; is this the sort of thing where life starts getting expensive? If I'm thinking about things like getting details of cathedrals and similar indoor shooting, what sort of focal length should I be looking at?

EDIT: Come to think of it, this is probably the sort of thing a rental is meant for...

I'm lucky enough to travel around with some of my camera gear and I find myself pretty rarely using long lenses, unless I'm somewhere at like a zoo or something or want to try shooting wildlife. If you're going to be in those old gothic cathedrals, your main priority will be speed of the lens rather than length. A lot of them are very dark inside.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

polyfractal posted:

Any good sling-style camera bags that can also hold a 13" Macbook air? I'd like a smallish bag to take on work trips, but it needs a pocket large enough to hold a laptop. A traditional backpack would work too, although I'd like a sling if possible.

I skimmed Amazon, and the only thing I saw which might work was a Pacsafe sling...but I don't really need all the extra security features. Thoughts?

LowePro has a fantastic search/finder for their stuff now, where you can break things down pretty specifically. This is everything they list for 13" laptops. No slings, but some good messenger bags and backpacks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

polyfractal posted:

Well, this is pretty awesome, I had no idea they had such a nice search. Thanks!

Welcome :cheers:

Anything that can fit a larger tablet should work as well.

E:vvv yeah ThinkTank bags look fantastic.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 16, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: Whoops

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I am traveling to Thailand and want to bring an actual camera that isn't my iPhone 6, but that isn't my huge DSLR. I would like something pocket friendly, but that doesn't look like I'm shooting with a potato. I think I want it to have GPS/wifi, but can be convinced I don't need those things. Budget is $500.

Where should I start?

The Sony RX100 is a fantastic P&S that will fit your pocket just fine and by now should be under $500. It does not have GPS or Wifi, but if I can ask, why do you want either of those? Both can be serious battery hogs.

EDIT: $500 should get you into used mirrorless body/small lens territory but very few of those are pocket-friendly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crowdfunding Project Fails is pretty "film at 11" at this point.

quote:

In fact, by the time all was said and done, Ada was going to cost three times more to create than we had planned for when we kicked off the project.

In itself, that’s bad enough, but we also spent a lot more money than we had hoped to get to this point. In fact, we spent over five times more on bringing Triggertrap Ada to market than we had budgeted for.

jesus christ hahahaha how do you gently caress up that badly? Did they seriously only glance once at the start at how expensive it'd be to produce, and never thought that amount could change over time?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My two P&Ses don't get used very often, one's almost exclusively for underwater stuff or goofing around at the lake (Oly Tough TG-2), the other I haven't touched in months, but usually only have it for nighttime shots of cities the job takes me to sometimes. It's easy enough to stash in a briefcase and forget about until I need it. Being f/1.8 on the wide end is a huge help. I do agree that phones are getting better and better these days though. My Droid Turbo has been fantastic for most of my snapshots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

If anyone can tell what brand of body a given photo was shot with I'll eat my camera.

I know which ones are from my old 4/3 camera because noooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise

chow down :chef:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I gotta be honest, I've never had issues with KEH in shipping. They pad things well, and if $12 gets it to me in 2 days (3 at the most) in tiny rear end Toledo, I'm pretty happy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep posted:

When I was photographing some AR15s being shot a casing flew into my lens, I had some generic cheap protective filter on there.

If the casing would've smashed my lens is hard to say. But I'm happy I had the filter on in this situation. Otherwise I don't shoot with one.

How close were you standing? Casings shouldn't be going that far/fast out of most ARs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep posted:

EXIF says 67mm. So pretty close. Since then I've been a bit more careful when going out and photographing shoots like this.

OK, yeah I'd definitely stand further back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Does heavy fog count as super bad, need filter weather? Like super poor visibility, 20m driving visibility level? My cameras not waterproof eitherway so I'm not getting one but I saw an excellent opportunity for a picture the other night and didn't take it because I didn't want to break the camera.

Fog is fine to shoot in, but you might keep a bag to put it in when you get back in your car if you're running your AC or something to prevent condensation from causing a problem.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

I usually keep my camera out on my desk but it's near a window, is it OK to have it exposed to direct sunlight like that?

Direct sunlight is fine, it'd be another thing if you had it sitting on your dashboard in a car sitting outside in blazing heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

What's a recommended lens rental website, or local place around Minneapolis? Want to rent the Sigma C 150 600 mm this weekend

I've used LensRentals.com a couple times and been very happy with them.