Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Please help me Camera nerds. I'd like to pick up a Mirrorless camera to start my wife off - needs a view finder and a mid range. Budget of around 1000$ CAD

I'm torn between either the XT200 or the OM-D E-M10 MK IV also is now a bad time to buy mirrorless? Everything seems limited in stock and the used market seems dried up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

President Beep posted:

Does it have to be an interchangeable lens system? I have an RX100m3, for example, and it’s a great all around camera.

Probably for longevity sake; although that camera does look cool

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

I'd take the xt200. I'm not sure a new m10 iv justifies the price compared to older/used m43 models.

The xt200 was on sale for 500 usd before. I'm not saying it will be again, or could even be had for that used, but I thought I'd mention it.

In other recommendations, fuji (35mm xc) and panasonic (25mm f1.7) both have affordable standard primes (~50mm fullframe).

Yeah I pulled the trigger on it before I read this - xt200 new for ~ 1200 CAD. Steep but it should last us forever.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Any backpack recommendations kicking around? I need something to lug around my body, chair (MEC ultralight (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5052-016/Ultra-Lite-Chair), 150-600 tamron lens and dslr body but I don't really feel like spending 200$ ++ on a bag lol

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 13, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

You get what you pay for though. Cheap bags are cheap because they suck.

My current photograph+hiking bag is a mammut trion. It's not specifically a camera bag but it has the back opening which is all you really need. I got it years ago though, before back opening camera packs got really common. The dakine sequence is good too if you don't want a frame but I'm not sure how you'd lug a chair with it as the attachment points are limited.

Shimoda and Atlas are photography dedicated brands that might have something you can use.

Sorry I should've (and subsequently have) mentioned that the chair is pretty small form factor, basically it's another tripod if that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

There's nothing like cheaping out to save 40$ on a clip that's holding your 800$ Body & 400$ lens

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Trying to save 40$ on something that holds your $1000+ set up (loosely guessing) is something I've always found very funny.

At least with Peak Design stuff if you don't like it you can probably sell it second hand for 60-80% of value.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I started out with the 70-300mm 4.5/6.3 (that's like $400 CAD new) and that did pretty okay for birding, barring the slow autofocus and softness at full 300mm

but if you get the itch, you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly any extra reach that a used sigma/tamron 150-600 will give you will be worth it, that and autofocus speed is important if you're doing birds in flight

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Is there any budget friendly low profile tripod that can get as low profile like this does?

added difficulty: I'm in Canada

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I use a Peak Design slide with my D500/Tamron 150-600mm and it's good.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Random question - anyone have good experience/thoughts on which gloves to wear while photographing in cold climate/winter?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Sorbus posted:

I shot last winter with Valleret photography gloves and really liked them. Now I am using merino wool hobo gloves until it gets seriously cold.

These are the ideal - purpose built! now if I could only find a Canadian vendor around the GTA that actually has them in stock...

Thanks everyone else for their input!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Flyndre posted:

Glad to hear it’s not only Fuji who have terrible unusable apps

everytime I want to use the fuji app I have to open it from the google play store for whatever reason, it's installed, it just won't even actually be in my phones app list. the weirdest loving thing

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Unless pros doing events rely on the wifi? Like are there real situations where they must upload the images to a central server instantly so the media group can start publishing them? I still don't see how that could work given how the connection is set up.

Formula 1 photographers have this I tried to find the bit of the video where one of them explains it but couldn't find it. but it's out there! there's a need for it somehow

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

I have a Nikon D5500. It's been great but it's showing its age. At this point how silly would it be to replace it with a D500 versus getting something like an EOS R7/10 or waiting to see if Nikon ever wants to make a Z500? I've already got F lenses (although I'd probably want to get the DX 16-80 along with the camera), and it's got some good QoL tech over the 5500... but it's not mirrorless tech and they're still selling used for pretty good money.

Hey I just upgraded from a D5600 to a D500 I think about a year ago? I primarily focused on Wildlife and managed to find a very low shutter count body and it's been quite a nice upgrade.

What do you focus on subject wise most? I don't regret buying the D500 for wildlife, but the autofocus stuff coming out now, and mirrorless quality of life stuff is really tempting me (though I'm probably locked in for 5 more years or so on this D500). In-body stabilization as well is pretty slick on those new fangled mirrorless units.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

Isn’t the D500 still a step up on mirrorless for AF? I believe most sports shooting pros still use DSLRs because of the AF reliability. I’ve seen endless reviews say the Nikon mirrorless lineup AF was unreliable until the Z9 and the D6 is still more consistent in challenging settings.

I've heard good things about the Z9's autofocus. Apparently it's wildlife setting is unbelievably good; I have a friend who has one coming from the D500/D850 and he says it's like cheating. I haven't used it yet. Maybe for the best, I can't afford a $6k camera. poo poo I spent way too much on my D500 as it is.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

I really need to consider just going Fuji so I can just rely on jpegs.

When people ask me about camera recommendations - I usually give them two answers based on my question of "how much time do you want to spend in front of the computer working in Lightroom and Photoshop?"

Typically I get the answer of "not much" I respond with "Oh yeah no yeah no yeah you wanna go Fujifilm and just shoot in jpegs; much easier"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'll give another +1 for the Peak Design Slide it's quite nice. Their mounting anchor system is also really really nice.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does anyone know offhand what this tripod head is?

Arca-Swiss C1 Cube
Google Lens is really powerful. I'm not being snooty or lovely. Right-click google image search in chrome answered your question really really quick.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

so i often pull out my smartphone to take pictures of birds when i'm on the kayak or otherwise outdoors and it is woefully unsuited to this task and i'd like to get a nicer camera

i'm not totally lost when it comes to interchangeable lens cameras - did a bunch of yearbook photography in high school with an old canon slr film camera and got roped into taking pictures of a few events for work and whatnot based on that - so i know i'm basically buying into a lens ecosystem and the basics of exposure but not enough to make a serious call on what to buy.

spent a chunk of the day doing research but figured i'd ask the photo nerds also - if you were going to spend...2-3k usd to get setup for bird photography, where would you go? have been eyeballing a canon r7+the 100-400 but i'm open-minded to pretty much any brand, second hand, whatever. i can pretend i'd use this camera for other stuff but 99% of it is going to be getting sick action shots of egrets and i am mostly interested in getting the best results for that. good weather sealing to handle use on the kayak would be a major plus.

This might fit your wants without killing the bank - but it's not as good as a full blown 2-3k+ setup
https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product-archive/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=interestingness-desc&safe_search=1&text=Nikon%20coolpix%20p900&view_all=1

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

i looked at bridge cameras but was kind of unenthusiastic about the shots i was seeing

Right on - just an outside option for portability and price

Welcome to the bird shooting crew, post in both bird threads often when you get your gear. I'll warn you, the first 6 months of getting into this is ridiculously addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

FBS posted:

The only solution I've tried so far is a regular Peak Design shoulder strap, hooked to the tripod foot, which works well enough on the wide-open preserve trails I visit. The camera rests upside-down against my waist as I'm walking around and it's always accessible (though I wouldn't call it "low ready"). I don't carry a backpack so I can swing the camera to rest against my back when I need to step off-trail.

This is what I do as well.