Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

:hfive: I've used a 2005FPW for the last eight years as well. Four members of my family bought them at the same time and all of them are still going strong. It's insane how reliable (the higher-end) Dell monitors are.

My 2005FPW died last month. :smith:

It still mostly works, but it flickers really badly at power on. At first it was just a few seconds, eventually getting to the point where it lasted for several minutes. Once it warmed up it was fine, but it was clearly on its last legs so it was time to go.

It really surprised me to think back how long I'd been using that screen. I tried pretty hard to find a similarly featured display (with lots of video inputs and usb ports) but no one seems to be making them anymore. I really miss my PIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

It's probably a death laser that will set your camera on fire the first time you point the remote at it.

Still a huge bargain at $2.

Just don't point it at any planes or it's federal pound you in the rear end prison time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only beef with polarizers is you'll drive yourself mad constantly removing it when shooting outdoors.. if the angle of the sun and the direction your camera is pointed isn't quite right you'll get a banding effect in the sky which is extremely distracting.

But in those cases where you can shoot perpendicular to the sun, polarizers are the best thing in the world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cameras in phones are so passe, the next frontier is phones in cameras.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I have an ME super and a 40mm pancake, it'd be close enough to check. I'll try and do this when I get home too.

Bonus points if you make it into a pinhole camera and take pictures with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GregNorc posted:

So I'm looking into a tripod, since I can't hand hold with my T3i much more if I wanna get any better shots.

I found a Manfrotto 293 3-section aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto 496RC2 quick-release aluminum ballhead on my local CL for $85... is that a good deal?

$85 is a pretty good deal. I think you'd be paying almost $150 for that combo if you bought new.

The legs are certainly fine, but take a minute to compare the 293 with the 190XPROB.. the 190's do just a little bit more that may be worth some extra cash. It depends on what you need out of your tripod.

I have the same head though, and love the heck out of it. It doesn't hold as much weight as the higher end heads but I don't have any monster lenses yet so it doesn't really effect me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CCK has worked fine on my wife's OG iPad for years. The import takes an eternity to copy off a 16GB SD, but it handles RAW files well and doesn't crash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably fine.

Probably a good idea to take a wire brush to the contacts to polish them up a bit though. Might even come off with a damp towel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you read up on silicon wafers, the size of the wafers has been growing, but relatively slowly. 300mm has been the standard since around 1997. Intel was making noise about switching to 450mm last year.

Bigger wafers tends to mean more chips for the same amount of money, so as manufacturers migrate in that direction it could mean cheaper full frame cameras.

But it'll probably mean cheaper crop sensors first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1st AD posted:

Can somebody tell me why ND filters have such stupid numbering systems? Also why is it so hard to find an 8-stop ND filter?

I gave up and bought a cheapo variable-ND just to play with because apparently manufacturers like to confuse me.

The Goja cheap set comes with an 8 stop filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Neutral-Density-Filter-Compatible/dp/B00867PFZY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1368735147&sr=8-6

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, that's what all those sliders in Lightroom are for!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QPZIL posted:

You know, even just for a set of adapters and Cokin holder, that's pretty tempting...

edit-- everything's made of plastic including the filters :pwn:

The adapter rings are metal! :haw:

I did buy the set a ways back, before I had a clue what I was doing. They don't seem to be completely terrible.. my assumption is the quality control is non-existant so the ND8 is probably not actually an ND8, but for baby's first filter set I guess it's a serviceable option.

(ignoring for the moment that I should have just coughed up the cash for the Cokin stuff and never had to worry about upgrading, ever)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That bear avatar creeps me the gently caress out though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's none. That's why.

Storms make amazing cloud patterns, should be a photographer's dream. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Besides, everyone was already declaring all of those Internet purchases every year when they filed their taxes, right? :haw:

Illinois is gracious enough to let me pay $50 to forget about it. Sure I could save all those receipts, but fuuuucckk that. I buy so much poo poo online $50 is probably a bargain.

But I guess that easy ride is going to go away too, because hell if I'm going to let them nail me twice for the same purchase.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Also I hope you're doing more than just Mt. Rushmore when you're in the Black Hills area.

Seriously. Badlands, Custer, and Fort Robinson parks are all significantly more interesting than Mt. Rushmore, which is nothing but a tourist trap.

For towns, Deadwood and Hot Springs are great stops too for all the old construction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's pretty sweet.. I had one of their cards break on the same corner a couple weeks ago and it's been sitting on the end table since then because I haven't gotten around to throwing it away.

I guess I should ring them up!

Apparently that edge takes a lot of abuse because there's a little metal spring in a card slot that the host uses to determine when a card is inserted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerous Mind posted:

I was actually always kind of interested in photography since I was younger. If I had the funds I would have amassed a lot of photographs of clouds already which is what I wanted a camera for (I love the random shapes and colors they can be). Later when I get a job that isn't minimum wage I'll definitely consider getting a really good camera.

If you don't mind going used, you can get a T1i off ebay for around $300. An XSi should be easy to get under $300. These cameras are definitely getting long in the tooth, but you can still take great photos with them, and they accept pro lenses just fine. Might be a decent option if you think you might get into photography in the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Been promising myself one to upgrade my old Dell 30" that's going a bit dim and yellow after 5 years constant use... But then I look over my shoulder and wonder "When are we going to get 4k monitors at sensible prices?" :o:

Maybe next year. $4000 for the Asus is obviously pretty pricey, but for cutting edge is actually cheaper than I would have expected.

I'd guess by 2015 they'll be within reach of us mortals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well 84 inches is just absurd. :haw:

I was talking about this screen:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7051/computex-2013-asus-pq321-3840-x-2160-display-3799

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a bunch of cheap knockoffs out there too if you dig around on Amazon.. if you want to try it out to see if the technique is something you want to invest in, as building a full set of quality filters could easily have you dropping a few hundred dollars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Im not sure I need to spend anything like that .. what seems to be the most useful ND filter for water shots, etc?

The big stopper maybe? It's a giant black square and is pretty popular with water photographers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I know the cheap ones are meh. That's why they're cheap!

But it's one of those things that come with a lot of sticker shock if you want to get decent hardware. ND filters make landscapes a heck of a lot more fun and I think everyone should try it, so just buy something and see if you enjoy the technique so you can avoid one of those "eh I'll get them someday when I have some extra cash" situations that results in never ever actually doing it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Do you think the ones sold by B&W and the like are worthwhile, or go with the kit from the likes of conkin, etc?

Buy the best you're willing to spend money on.

The cheap ones are pretty much junk but they can be fun to play with as a beginner. But you will outgrow them.. you'll either decide using filters isn't your thing and stop trying, or open up your wallet and buy some quality filters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Machine gunning at car/bike races is another valid reason to carry a mountain of flash storage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Some inexpensive stuff is fine. My daily carry bag for small formats is a $20 Lowepro messenger and it's great.

The $30 cheapie Canon bag I got has been fine too.. I've taken it up mountains, walked through rain storms, and dumped it to the pavement it out the back of my car because someone (not me I'll never admit to it) left the tailgate open and drove off.

Camera and lenses have survived it all.

Only reason I could see spending more for something different is because the bag isn't super comfortable to wear on long hikes.. it pulls away from the back too much because the camera sits on the top and it makes a lot of back strain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now if only KEH would give their site a usable search function.

(someone had to bring it up)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A $20 camera won't stop him from getting stabbed by hobos...

But the million dollar kevlar batman suit will.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

I've been using Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and a 496RC2 Ball Head for about 2 years now. Compact, portable, sturdy, versatile, and awesome. Was fine holding up a 1D3 and 70-200 2.8.

We're tripod/head twins!

I wouldn't call the legs compact though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

No? I've never had any trouble lugging them around. It's my first and only "real" tripod, though. (garage sale and plastic tripods aside)

Oh they're certainly easy to carry around, but they're not small by any measure.. there are a ton of smaller and lighter options out there (that cost a lot more).

I've lugged my setup to iceberg lake (in glacier np) no problems, but I had to strap it to the outside of my bag because there was nowhere else to put it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Here's a pdf of training material for general radiation training we have to take here at work:

http://esh-docdb.fnal.gov/cgi-bin/RetrieveFile?docid=304&version=1&filename=GERT.pdf

I've found it useful to link other people to it who don't even work here as it demystifies a lot of what "radiation" actually means.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My manfrotto has been fine, though I've never stress tested it with something dumb like a 400mm lens while using the camera body mount.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bisticles posted:

Is there a good resource where I can read about lens design? I'm fascinated by the various aspects that go into the makeup of lens groups and all that, but every page I've read starts out at the "Let's just assume you know everything" level.

lensrentals' blog has the best primer on lens design I've found online:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/10/from-petzvals-sum-to-abbes-number

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/lens-geneology-part-1

There's much more technical discussion out there but I find it easy to get lost in all the equations. It's a pretty fascinating topic though.. I keep meaning to dick around with building my own lenses, but finding convex lenses in bulk/cheap is kind of a pain in the rear end unless you're willing to do a ton of homework.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The T1i/550d is getting close to those kinds of prices if you do some hunting, and it's a nice upgrade over the XTi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait to read reviews on it because the numbers sure look good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some shots with the lens here:

http://www.dcfever.com/lens/viewsamples.php?set=951&picture=10213

Site is slower than hell but it has full size jpegs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To continue the Tamron 150-600 chat, mammoth review here:

http://dustinabbott.net/2014/01/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd-review/

He rather likes it.

Only demerit I'm seeing is that it starts to lose sharpness as you approach 600mm but I'm pretty sure that's just part of the territory with a lens like this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I liked his line about the weight.. "if you are accustomed to using a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, I doubt that you will notice the extra weight very much." :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

grack posted:

This may be the stupidest idea on the market.

Especially when you realize that the camera Sony took the guts from (WX200) is cheaper, smaller and faster than that monstrosity.

A solution looking for a problem, perhaps, but I don't think it's a stupid one. It's a bit wasteful because every lens needs its own sensor, but decoupling the lens from the viewfinder is not a terrible idea. I sure as poo poo wouldn't stick the lens to my phone, but I like the potential of being able to stick a small camera on a pole and extend it to places I can't reach while still being able to compose a shot. DSLRs have been exploring this idea for a while now.. first with tethered shooting and more recently with wifi connections.

Sony was just "well, what if we made it REALLY SMALL?" and tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd take a lens that can shoot wide, and a lens that can shoot kind of long (200-300mm range). I prefer a beefy tripod so I suck it up and lug my manfrotto 190 along with me. And a set of filters.

Everything else feels (to me) like deadweight for shooting landscapes.