Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

longview posted:

Extension tubes + 35mm lens = high res super quick scanner.

Well that's fine, but then you end up having to scan the photo of the photo.

Anyone tried KatzEye focusing screens? I've been playing with manual lenses and I feel like the default screen in my 50D isn't the best for accurate focus. Having recently got an old film SLR the difference has become pretty obvious. The KatzEye screens are about 5 times the price of a Canon EF-S, but they seem to get awesome reviews everywhere while a bunch of people say the EF-S barely helps at all. At the moment I'm making do with Liveview and 10x magnification, but honestly I hate taking pictures through an LCD.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Could just be a grey market reseller, except you wouldn't normally get a manufacturer's warranty. They might be perfectly legit, but for $100 I'd go through Amazon and be sure.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
FWIW, I have the VC version and am perfectly happy with it. That said, I'm not in the habit of pixel peeping and it's worth bearing in mind that the VC version is noticeably larger and heavier than the non-VC. The stabilization is occasionally useful, but I doubt I'd really miss it if I didn't have it. Buying new I'd probably have got the non-VC, but I found a used VC at a really good price so went for that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Have you considered zooming with your feet?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Have to admit I've never seen it used in the word reuse before. My first reäction was that it was a simple miss̈pelling, didn't realize it was part of a coördinated diæresis reïmplementation effort.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 29, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The carry case for my Pentacon Six broke the other day so now I'm just wandering around carrying 2.5kg of glass and metal in my hand. Secondary lens goes in my pocket, nbd.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I need a camera and lens to take pictures of dead fish for work. The setup is going to be camera mounted 40-50cm above the fish looking straight down. The fish are 5-15cm long and I need to get the whole thing in shot. Ideally the camera will have some degree of weather sealing because I'll be taking it out onto the middle of lochs in Scotland for long periods and it's probably going to rain a lot.

I was thinking maybe a 50D with the 50/2.5 macro because I already have a 50D of my own and know it can deal with a bit of water, but I've no idea if the 50/2.5 is any good or if I'm missing another obvious option. On the other hand it'd be nice to use something a bit less bulky, is there a weatherproof 4/3 or similar that anyone could recommend? Budget ~£1000.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mr. Despair posted:

An OM-D with the 12-50 kit lens would fit your needs pretty well. Weathersealed, so no worry about splashing, opens up to 12mm so you can get nice long fish in frame, can do ok macro in a pinch, and the whole kit fits in your budget. It's not the sharpest lens, but it's flexible as hell and the weathersealing is very effective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-OM-D-Thirds-Interchangeable-Camera/dp/B0073A1DWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372195313&sr=8-1&keywords=om-d

Looks like a pretty decent option, thank you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ExecuDork posted:

I know I probably sound like a Pentax fanboy, but their weathersealing is excellent. They've been using it as the main selling feature of the K-30, which, due to the recent release of its sucessor the K-50, is available new for prices well under your budget. There aren't any weathersealed prime lenses I can find wider than 50mm, but the kit zoom for the K-30 is the weathersealed 17-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and it's cheap and quite good as long as you're not in need of wide apertures.
Cool, I'll be stopping down anyway to get a decent DoF so shouldn't be a problem. I'll give Pentax a look too, thanks.

ExecuDork posted:

To avoid bulk you could really cut down on size & weight and get a waterproof P&S - my GF has one of Sony's more recent offerings and while it looks rather toy-like the image quality is very impressive.
Yeah, I've considered a P&S, actually tried a waterproof Sony today and it wasn't bad, but I need to be able to use a remote trigger (I know that screws up the weather sealing somewhat, life is cruel).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, my old Panasonic FZ-8 that I used to take climbing got smacked against rocks and covered in wet snow unreasonably often and still works fine. I don't think I dropped it from any height more than three or four times, but I'd be pretty annoyed if a considerably more expensive and supposedly better built dSLR couldn't stand up to at least the same punishment. Although I try and baby that stuff a lot more anyway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have this lens, cool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm still going to tell everyone I take a picture of with that lens that it's radioactive and I am shooting deadly energy rays at them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kefkafloyd posted:

You've learned a $400 lesson: don't leave batteries in the flash.

The acid has probably destroyed most of the terminals and associated wiring; cleaning it up isn't going to fix it.
Reading this just made me go check my flashes and welp

Molten Llama posted:

If you still have the batteries, and they're Duracell, Energizer, or Rayovac, you box the whole mess up and ship it to the battery manufacturer. They'll either fix it or replace it.
They're Duracell, guess I'll have to see if you're right!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm the lack of batteries in your meterless film camera, suck it electricity needers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sounds like you've found the info you need already, but just to mention that I have the Helios 44M-4 and it fits fine on a Canon 50D.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

No Gravitas posted:

It could be worse, he could have taken a picture...
Or even worse: A video.

At the current exchange rate of 1000 words to a picture that is a lot of pain.
I feel like with advances in sensor technology in recent years that exchange rate needs some adjustment. Pictures are going up uP UP.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Atalante01 posted:

I know the answer to the 3rd party v OEM batteries is generally get SterlingTEK or Wasabi as they have a proven track record. Unfortunately I live in the far corner of the world and can't get hold of these brands within the time frame I need them (January 1st-ish). I can however get some no-name 3rd party ones. Obviously it's entirely dependent on manufacturer, but has anyone gone the no-name route? How did it turn out? Other option is million dollar Canons.
I have no name batteries off eBay for my 50D. They work fine and haven't leaked or melted yet, possibly their life is a bit shorter than the genuine article but I haven't particularly noticed it.

Of course the ones you get might be filled with dog poo poo and nitroglycerin, but I'd rather take the risk than spend five times as much on Canon batteries.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HPL posted:

My dad is in his mid 70s and loves his Canon s110.
Yeah, if you're open to a P&S this is the forum darling I think? I had a quick go with one recently and it seemed pretty sweet, we were in a blizzard though so maybe not the best conditions to test it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Shaocaholica posted:

Seriously though, practicality aside, I'd use a MF > FF adapter just for the fun of it. I think that a lot of people, myself included, don't always want some practical reason to use these lenses. We just want images that look different. A camera that feels different.
Yep, I'm currently waiting for an adapter so I can stick my huge, heavy MF glass onto my 50D. Should be fun. An MF->APS-C speed booster that gained two stops would be awesome, Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180/f1.4? :krad:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

the_lion posted:

I reckon canon will do a dick move and try and cut sigma lenses working-they do it for non canon batteries on newer bodies believe.
Isn't this pretty much why Sigma lenses have docking stations now? If a first party camera maker decides to brick their gear they can push out a firmware update that fixes things as soon as they've figured out a workaround.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Calumet Photographic is having a liquidation sale following their bankruptcy. All their stock is 10-40% off, including the stuff that they used to rent out. YMMV, but if you have one near where you live it might be good to go check it out if you're thinking about getting anything. I'm heading out this weekend.
drat, I was excited for a moment but apparently their UK stores aren't affected.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The VC version is completely fine. If you pixel peep there's some minor difference in sharpness (see http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/(lens1)/497/(brand)/Tamron/(camera1)/619/(lens2)/185/(brand2)/Tamron/(camera2)/619 for a comparison) but I doubt you're going to notice it in your holiday snaps on Facebook. Plus if you end up shooting indoors at all the VC might even come in handy. The main downside in my eyes is that it's 100g or so heavier and generally more expensive.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Speaking of, I've not been keeping up with digital camera gear in the last few years and want to replace and upgrade my ageing 50D. What's good in full frame these days? I am thinking mirrorless so I can adapt my medium format primes and get focus peaking in viewfinder. I'm willing to dump my Canon EF/EF-S lenses for a new system if that's what's good. I'm shooting landscapes while hiking and taking pictures of my dog, and the dog doesn't stay still long enough for manual focus so I'll pick up at least one or two AF lenses. I live in Norway and take pictures outdoors so weatherproofing is a concern - my 50D still works fine on wet snowy hikes and a -20C and that would be nice to match. I was looking at buying a Canon EOS R new, to give you an idea of my budget, but it seemed like the reviewers were a bit unimpressed with it. I'm OK to buy used although the market for it isn't great here.

e: I'm also not in a huge rush so if there's some new hotness coming out in a few months that's worth waiting for, I'll wait.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 25, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pablo Bluth posted:

Canon have just announced the R6. It's basically the guts of the 1DX III but in a 'normal style' body, at more or less the same price point at the R (EOS R was $2399 at launch, the R6 will be $2499). It's "only" 20MP (The R is 30) but in just about all respects it's looking like a seriously good camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4020779815/the-canon-eos-r6-is-the-r5-for-the-masses

I would definitely put it on the shortlist and wait for the full reviews to come in.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. As well as my own camera I've used a 7D and 6DII a lot for work so if I get to stick with the Canon controls that I'm used to I wouldn't hate it.

theHUNGERian posted:

I took my A7R3 on an 8-day mountaineering expedition seminar in Alaska (camped on a glacier for the entire duration of the trip, large temperature variations and high humidity) and it had zero issues. I didn't even have to change batteries.

My only minor complaint about the camera is that with certain lenses it will introduce a circular color noise (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62760977) which I have only managed to make disappear when I cover the contacts of the lens (even though I was shooting raw, uncompressed, with all lens corrections off, the latest firmware, even when ETTR by 3 stops). To be fair, this issue is only visible in strongly monochromatic settings (such as on a glacier in Alaska), and even then, converting the impacted image to black and white is a solution that makes the problem go away.
I was looking at the A73, it seems like a decent amount of camera for the price - not sure the A7R3's extra pixels are worth the cost for me. The Z6 was my other main contender - I hate shooting with a rear screen so having a nice EVF is important.

I think I need to go to a shop and pick some cameras up once the R6 comes out next month.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Munkaboo posted:

For me the keeper rate is significantly higher with my Sony a7iii than my 5d mk2 and 7d. The eye AF is just so drat good.

The Nikon Z series also have eye AF, don't they? Or is it just not very good compared with Sony's?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What is it that is holding you back with existing cameras that you'd specifically like to see improved in a stripped down, fully manual digital camera? I feel like people are struggling to give you recommendations because it's unclear what you actually want beyond a focusing prism.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It sounds like your perfect camera is a Hasselblad 500C/M with a Phase One back. It's a fantastic, fully manual camera with minimal unnecessary automation, a great set of lenses available, and a beautiful, bright, waist level viewfinder. Honestly a joy to shoot. I haven't used the digital back personally but if you don't want to use film it seems like the next best thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Voice of Labor posted:

congratulations, you have, with the substitution of a 40mm 2.8 described what I do. I do not want something that *looks* old school, if I did I would be asking about cold war warsaw pact cameras and pallets of romanian surplus film stock.

Please do not poo poo talk Cold War Warsaw Pact cameras, they are in fact extremely good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That Nikon DF does actually look pretty sweet, but only now that you can probably get one like $700 rather than the $2750 MSRP.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xzzy posted:

Well obviously none of the big camera names are going to make such a camera, they know it will sell single digits. It makes absolutely no sense for them to bother.

And no kickstarter dork is going to pull it off because it's loving expensive, sourcing just the sensor is going to be a massive cost. Then you have to design the body and write all the code to do something with the sensor. There's a reason digital backs are so expensive and it's not just because they're aimed directly at the hearts of camera hipsters.

Which leaves you the boutique names like Leica and Hasselblad selling their stuff for ten thousand loving dollars.

You seem to be saying "makes absolutely no sense", "loving expensive", impractical, impossible to source, no market whatsoever etc. etc., but all I'm hearing is "goon project".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol at thinking anything I'm asking about is absurd when a single corporation holds a virtual monopoly on the manufacture of a core component of all the cameras.

this explains and takes the fun out of everything. can you think of any other consumer product this true of?

you could brute force it, have it always sampling and register the start of an image when the array starts registering something other than 0

all speculation is futile though.

If you want to play with the technical side of cameras there is a lot of fun hobby stuff you can do on the relatively cheap side, just sensor design and manufacture probably isn't it. Building a pinhole camera is the classic first project - it's a box with a very small hole in it and somewhere to put a sensor/film. If you want to try photography outside the visible spectrum you can get very cheap IR sensitive C-mount cameras (UV sensors aren't too expensive either, but UV transparent glass is) and mess around with that. Or if you're sick of only having three colour channels to work with, consider also picking up a diffraction grating and precision cut slit for like $150 and you can build a pretty capable hyperspectral line-scan camera so you can image 200 wavebands at 3nm spectral resolution. Show your Flickr enemies what real colour reproduction is, Leica doesn't have poo poo on that.

If all that sounds too hacky and you just want to spend huge sums of money on bizarre but ready-made equipment for your obscure nerd obssession, astrophotography is there waiting.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 14, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I picked up a busted up d5000 and a "factory refurbished" mirror box/shutter mechanism/lens mount/ect. unit and am very slowly in the process of taking the camera apart and swapping out the innards. if i can get it working, the plan is to put an ir filter in it and have an ir video camera/still camera. come to think of it, it was finding out how common shutter failures are on nikons that got me thinking about picking up a second (third, I guess) camera.

tell me about this hyperspectral business. the astrophotograhpy too, I don't think western civilization will last long enough to allow me to procure a good telescope, but I would be interested to hear what the basics involved with it are.

Hyperspectral imaging: I'd suggest this paper for a pretty complete step-by-step guide with an up-to-date buylist. It's a little unusual in that uses a square aperture (a more common design is a slit and "push-broom" imaging) so you get an image out of it more like what you're used to from normal cameras as well as a spectrogram - that can be handy for aiming & focusing the camera. It includes the imaging setup and software/hardware to reconstruct a hypercube from your spectral data. They also cite this very nice paper that is simpler in that is just the camera without all the Raspberry Pi stuff that you might not want to bother with, but then you'll have to figure out how to turn your spectrograms into actual images/hypercubes yourself. It's not that difficult if you're OK with writing some code, I think I have a Python script somewhere that does an OK first approximation. This older design is a little more complicated, they converted a Canon 5D and can operate with either a slit or square aperture, and thanks to the better sensor they have much higher spectral resolution.

The other hard part will be lining everything up precisely and calibrating your instrument once you have it working, but if you're dismantling a camera already you're probably OK with precision work on that scale I guess. I messed around with DIY designs for a bit and they're fiddly but you can get surprisingly good results with a week or two of effort. Then I found out my work had a $100,000 hyperspectral imager sitting around unused in a basement with a built-in xy stage and analysis software, so now I use that instead.

Astrophotography I don't know much about except looking at a mate's setup, but there used to be a thread for it in the Dorkroom I think, definitely there are a few people here taking pictures of space.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm going to Svalbard in a while and zooming with your feet is not an option with polar bears so I am looking at some long glass. Someone is selling a Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3 near me but it's the original version. Any idea how that compares with the G2 or the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary? Either of those new is about twice the price of the used Tamron v1. With the used I suppose I can probably resell it without much loss after the trip, but more likely it's going to end up staying with me because I am horrible at offloading lenses that I rarely use.

e: I'm open to alternative suggestions for Canon mounts as well. I'll be taking either a 7D or an RP.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks, I might just grab the v1 then.

I'm going there on fieldwork and apart from carrying rifles AFAIK usual protocol on seeing a bear in the distance is to retreat until you can no longer see a bear in the distance. If I get any decent shots I expect they'll be from the boat (where good IS would be helpful), but either way the longest lens I have now is 250mm so I'd like to give myself the best chance of getting bear and walrus pics.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haha, I just shipped a bunch of equipment up there. If you don't mind taking the trip by sea we could easily have freighted another Zarges box with some air holes. Svalbard is actually surprisingly accessible considering how far north it is, the flights from Norway aren't even particularly expensive. I've been once before but it was during the polar night so the light wasn't ideal and winter trips out of town involve a fair bit of planning. This time I'm looking forward to being able to just go out hiking with a couple friends and a rifle.

I've arranged to try out the used lens this week, thanks for the votes of confidence.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

polar bears
Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3
Canon RP
Update to my long lens hunt: I tried out the lens and unfortunately it didn't work correctly with my camera. Apparently it needs a firmware update to be compatible with the RF series bodies and it can't be done at the local camera store but needs to go back to Tamron. The only other similar used lens I can find at the moment is the Sigma DG 150-500 mm 1:5-6,3 APO HSM, which isn't listed as RF compatible with Sigma and so presumably also needs a firmware update, if there is one available. There are a couple of Canon RF 600 F/11s about but I feel like a slow, fixed 600mm is pretty inflexible unless you're sat with a tripod in a hide or something. Might end up having to buy something new instead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
On the Tamron I got no AF at all, and every couple of shots I'd get an error message that the lens and body couldn't communicate, so I'd have to turn the camera off and on. However the aperture control was OK, and the shots it did work the lens metadata came across fine.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 15, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Huh, that's good to know. If I find another copy of the lens I'll at least give it a try then. Either way I told the guy no thanks on this one and will keep looking.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It looks a bit heavy for taking pictures of my dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

frogbs posted:

Similar to Shrieking Mullet a few posts up, I’m in the market for a new camera body.

I have an XT-10 that I’ve used and enjoyed for about 4 years, but it’s starting to show its age. I only have the 16-55 2.8 and the XC 55-230.

I also used to shoot Canon, and have a 50mm 1.8 II in a drawer.

In my price range I’m looking at two options:

1.) Upgrade to an XT-4

2.) Try going back to Canon with a EOS RP

I love the way Fuji’s handle and the color you get straight out of camera, but am sort of interested to try something full frame. Anyone have any thoughts?

I like my Canon RP very much, I upgraded to it earlier this year from a series of older mid-range Canon dSLRs (50D, 7D, 6D). Full frame in such a small package is definitely nice, and obviously the more modern features of a mirrorless camera felt like magic to me initially. You can find all its specs elsewhere, so I'll just talk about the things I'm not so keen on. First, unlike the higher end R models it doesn't have IBIS or the fancy focus tracking stuff, so if you want to shoot wildlife or in the dark you might not find it as capable as some. I've found the focusing fine on shorter lenses, both in accuracy and speed, but it hasn't performed so well with my Tamron 150-600 G2. Whether that's because it's a third party lens, EF rather than RF mount, or just that telephotos are hard I don't know, but it definitely has to do some searching sometimes. That leads to the second point, that the RF lens range is still a lot smaller than in the standard mount, even with third party lenses. You can use an adapter to mount most EF lenses with no real issues and a lot of the RF lenses that do exist are reportedly really good as well as generally smaller than their EF equivalents, but you pay a premium for them. Lastly, the battery life is a bit on the low side. You really want 3 batteries to safely get you through a full day of casual shooting imo.

I did consider the R6 but couldn't justify the price difference since I also wanted to buy lenses. I'm pretty happy with the camera overall and none of the above has been so painful to me that I'd consider upgrading any time soon.