Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

8th-snype posted:

Canon 10-18mm efs, it's sharp, it has IS, and is less than $300. Downsides include a plastic lens mount and a very slow max aperture. My most used focal lengths for landscapes and editorial stuff is 14-18mm so imo an ultra wide zoom is very good buy.

Second this rec, maybe throw in the Tokina 11-16 2.8 if a fixed aperture is needed but hell that seems pretty niche to like, astrophotography I'd think. But for architecture/cityscapes you're not gonna find anything more versatile than the 10-18. The IS has saved my rear end before in indoor locations with low light where you're not allowed to bring a tripod.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Even the 70-200L F/4 being the runt of the 70-200 pack is a huge optical upgrade from the consumer telephoto zooms. I'd only consider the 70-300 if you reaaaally need the IS like when shooting indoor high school sports games or something, or the extra reach for birding.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Seems that past 200mm, sharpness drops with 300mm being the softest. Depending on what wildlife you're shooting, autofocus with the 70-300 isn't particularly great with speed, and the 70-200 is bloody fast.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

I really don’t foresee much indoor event use. With the shorter, yet higher quality glass, do you think I could compensate for less focal length just by cropping?

With the megapixel count our cameras are reaching at this point, you can be pretty liberal with cropping depending on what your output is gonna be. Unless you're making large prints I think you're fine.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I also forget that you can use extenders, the ef 1.4x extends the reach to 280 mm. But they are pretty pricey.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shoot I didn't even think of Sigma's lineup. Their 100-400 is considerably cheaper than canon's.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think I could do city walkabouts without my 10-18mm in addition to a normal zoom. Especially in downtown areas, when you're trying to get architectural shots and there's just no room to walk back to get more in the frame.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

I have a feeling I’ll be wishing I had one while we’re there. How’s the barrel distortion at the wide end?

It's noticeable but easily correctable in post. There's almost none at 14mm and very slight pincushion at 18mm.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?Lens=950&Camera=736&FLIComp=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&FLI=0

edit: i assume we're talking canon. I think I saw you at the canon thread at least?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 22, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

On the other hand, if the guy just wants a picture of a big moon, why not go with an superzoom? Even a budget rebel + 70-300 is gonna run him way upwards of that, let alone a telephoto prime + tc + tripod, etc.

I've had a bunch of non photographer friends link me this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfshAzV0FN4

and gone, hey can your camera do that? etc. The fact that you can get that much of a zoom range is REALLY impressive to people if they don't care about the image quality of small sensors. Obviously even the Coolpix P900 is above his budget range but there's some low-end superzooms in the $150-200 range.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 2, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hmmm so if I want to get back to some better camera quality I might as well look for something second hand it seems like. I don't want to get back into DSLR territory though. I was considering the Sony A5000 once but ehhh, money... photography was too expensive for me. Maybe those cell phone lenses are worth a shot. I got a Moto G4 phone.

Somebody was selling a Lumix GF3 without lenses for 60 euros locally. But I guess lenses are what reams you.
edit: found other ads from the same seller, there are the lenses. "Panasonix lumix g 14mm f/2.5 ASPH" 100€.

Edit 2 might as well link it, I am thinking if I can offer 150€ for the lens and camera.
http://www.findit.fi/sv/1263692.htm
http://www.findit.fi/sv/1263664.htm

He also has other lenses but this one seems to be a good all-rounder lense.
http://www.findit.fi/sv/search/?adv=2D281B26064975300716281E1A0D0E62415C0308152E1949562017282A

Think this will beat that kodak, or a moto G4?

I have literally no idea what you're looking for at this point. A 14mm lens will give you a similar to wider field of view as your moto g4. Granted you'll get better quality images but if you're trying to shoot that moon you were talking about, the shot you'll get will be really similar to what you got with your cell phone.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Its dust. Get a bulb blower or one of those wet-wipe sensor kits to clean it off, or just use lightroom's spot heal to remove them in post.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 10, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Do y'all use any online lens rental services? The only closeby camera store has a lovely canon selection, and I'd really like to rent a 100-400 or 150-600 for birding this spring.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks guys, I'll try lensrentals. My local camera store is really overpriced, what one lens costs in one day is the weekly rate for the site.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

Lenrentals costs add up fast too though, especially if you're getting big lenses.

It's fine once or twice, but if you're getting 400mm+ gear from them for a weekend it doesn't take long for that cost to make up a good chunk of the total purchase price for the lens. Eventually you gotta make the decision to put your pennies in a piggybank and actually save up to buy something.

I understand that, this is literally for a one-time use in the Indiana Dunes state park birding festival in May. Most of the stuff I shoot, which is urban and rural landscapes, street and architecture, my 17-70 or 10-18 covers fine, and the 70-200 for the rare event that I go to.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

edit: i'm stupid, i was looking at another leica review

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 30, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

$100 off a whole bunch of sigma lenses for the next few weeks. Sooooo tempted by the 18-35 art...

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=24815

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 3, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i'm sorry i'm a bad bad person :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah uh I pretty much hardly ever use my ultrawide outdoors in nature, and it's really more for architecture interiors or exteriors.

imo the sigma 18-35 1.8 is the best crop body landscape lens

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Seriously just get a sigma or tamron 17-50 f/2.8, or a sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 if you'd like the extra reach and can deal with the variable aperture. An UWA really isn't going to help landscape shots unless you've consistently got enough foreground interest to contrast with the scene, and for the most part it'll actually make scenery seem farther away and less impressive, leaving you with a bunch of sky to compose around.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

Sometime down the road I might replace my first gen EF-S 55-250 with a better regular to medium telephoto zoom. Stepping up to a 70-200 seems like the obvious choice, but I’d prefer something a bit wider at the low end. Any options come to mind? 3rd party is ok.

I have a feeling that anything “better” than what I have now is gonna be longer and intended to be used with full frame or crop.

e: I’d be willing to loose some length at the long end, as I’ve got a Sigma 150-600 that I use if I need any significant reach.

if you're sticking to aps-c, if you're willing to go with 2 lenses, the sigma 17-50 2.8 paired with the 50-150 1.8. I'm also a big fan of the 17-70 2.8-4 for extra walkaround reach if the variable aperture isn't a problem for you.

But yeah the 24-105 for full frame.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thanks for the lens info! Any idea how the Canon 50mm 1.8 performs? It's just as cheap as the Jupiter 8, and Canon glass seems more reliable than soviet ones, so I'm wondering if that'd be a safer bet.

And yeah I'll save up for a good 35, I hear the color skopar is basically the ideal choice.

e: looking on ebay, the 1.4 is only slightly more expensive than the 1.8, so I may as well just shell out the whopping like 30 bucks more for that.

Get the 50 1.8 STM. Newer design, better autofocus, and sharper wide open.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh NVM, ignore me then :)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just think of the whole generation now who have no idea what parallel ports even are

I used to bring zip disks to my mom's office in the university to download mp3s off audiogalaxy off their sweet t1 connection :3

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

For science I put my 150-600 on the gorillapod and pointed straight up to stress test, having the wight that lopsided is too much for it.

https://i.imgur.com/k3l2LLP.gifv

70-200 did this too, but it took the weight like a champ when horizontal which is how a sane person would use it anyways.

As for heavyweight legs the manfrotto 55xpro series is pretty well regarded, I see that line come up a lot in astrophotography forums. The newest ones (55xpro3) are rated for 19 pounds, I got an older version (55xprob) that specs at 12 pounds and has served me well. I got no firsthand recommendation on a head to use though, I've been salivating over a few options the past year but haven't gotten brave enough to pull the trigger.

lol it looks like it died of sadness

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

alkanphel posted:

You could consider the RX10 iv...the zoom range is now up to 600mm.

Seconded, honestly the poster sounds like they want a super zoom for landscape details and the occasional wildlife photo.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

https://leicarumors.com/2018/10/16/pictures-of-the-leica-m10-d-camera-leaked-it-has-an-advance-lever.aspx/

but why

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spog posted:

Just remembered that the 40D doesn't have liveview.

I think going to the 50D for that is worth it.

Uh yeah it does?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Uh if you're gonna be birding it's not gonna be very often you'll be on the wider end of a long zoom. Hell I hardly left the 400-600 range of the sigma 150-600 I rented the few times I went birding.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

Have any 3rd party manufacturers made a fast super-telephoto, zoom or prime? Anything I can think of is really slow (and a zoom).

Sigma has that new 500mm f/4 in their sport lineup. A pretty affordable 6k!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

KennyG posted:

There's the Sigma 500 f/4 ($6k) and the 300 f/2.8 ($3300) and if you can find it maybe a 500mm f/4.5 APO ($4k) (I can only locate that in Canon mount)

Nothing in a Sigma/Tamron 400mm f/4 like you'd really want in that off-brand, sub $1500-2k niche.

I'm going to be renting the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 Sport (which I think is about $3300 as well retail) for a trip as it provides more reach than the 70-200 while being a little more than half the price of the first party 300 f/2.8 IS/OS/VR or about a third the price if you throw in the 70-200 2.8 IS/OS/VR to go with it.
Unfortunately Nikon doesn't have the f/5.6 400mm option that Canon does as that's only about $1200 in first party glass which isn't too shabby all things considered for a supertele.

E;f;b: oh well, I think I added some worthwhile extra info.

Some of the reviews I've read for the 120-300 say that it's virtually identical in optics and stabilization to it's EX predecessor except for being heavier for some reason.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Massdrop has the Fuji XT-2 for $879. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fujifilm-x-t2-mirrorless-camera-black-body-only

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's also mid-range point and shoots like the fuji xf10 which is basically a budget aps-c in a tiny, tiny frame with a fixed prime lens. Perfect for learning composition and framing but having much better low light capabilities than a smartphone

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 24, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ricoh GR3 will also have in-body image stabilization, which is incredible in something of that size.

Shoot, that's making me want one now as a compact body. The $500 price point for these kinds of cameras is really tempting. I've always wanted something from the X100 Fuji line but its cost is just a little much to justify.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

How's the Canon EFS 10-18mm? Just by chance I saw one on sale used for about $180 and since I never shot anything wider than the Tamron 17-50 I thought this might be worth it, or store there better options?

Get it dood, it's straight up the best wide angle crop lens for canon. The only downside is the aperture which doesn't make it ideal for astro but its great for all other wide angle uses.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just do my prints at Costco. They offer printer profiles for all their locations and the charge per print is almost at-cost.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ok, I’m going to see if I can stretch the budget because this seems like a really good idea. I like the idea that the 7MKII looks like it can be run over with a bulldozer and has USB3

E: I will echo the sentiment that Canons naming convention really sucks and seems like it artificially makes it hard to determine which is best. I think I understand it now, the Rebels a bigger number is better, the xxD the bigger number the better, and the xD the lower number the better, with the newer revisions (Mk whatever) being better.

It makes way more sense to me than trying to figure out what the gently caress Nikon camera belongs to what line

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this is almost as good as the reddit guy obsessed with large format

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

forrealtho a mirrorless upgrade path for XXD users who have a fair share of ef-s lenses (you can pry the sigma 18-35 from my cold dead hands) is the bomb

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yeah like, fuji has great iso performance for aps-c sensors (the x-trans 4 sensor can shoot capably at 12800 iso) and that's available in the x-e4 and the x-t30 which are around $850-900, and for $1k the x-s10 has IBIS which will benefit every prime you have that doesn't have stabilization

sorry to come off like a fuji salesperson but i'm just astounded at all the options there are at the $1-2k range now. i've been loading up my brand new x-t4 with a trio of sigma primes after selling my old canon stuff and i'm loving it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yeah for sure, especially with iso, full frame can't be beat. i'm perfectly happy with my setup and what it's capable of though, especially at this price point. different tools for different use cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fwiw the 16-80 f4 lens that is bundled with some kits is really good also, with full weather resistance as well, and its sharpness is comparable with the 18-55. If you like the extra reach without any real downside beside the weight, I’d recommend that. Used ones are pretty affordable too due to it being bundled with some bodies.

edit: actually it's quite a bit more than the 18-55 used, so disregard if it's outside your price range

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 30, 2022