Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm after a 50 mm prime for a Sony A mount for as cheap as possible. I'm recently unemployed and using a friend's old Sony a230.

I found a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 on eBay that's in my budget at around 90 AUD (70 USD) shipped to Australia and it's new old stock. I would ideally like to pay a little less, are there any good buy/sell/trade forums or stores where I might grab a bargain for a little legwork?

Megabound fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

After a bit more research I'm stuck for choice for a lens for my Sony A230. It's a crop sensor, and I've only got money for one lens that's going to be my main walk-around and shoot, the more versatile the better. I'm currently stuck between:

Minolta 24mm f/2.8
Minolta 28mm f/2.8
Minolta 50mm f/1.7

From my understanding, the 28 or 24 on the crop sensor will give me something that's closer to the 50mm I'd be aiming for on a full sensor. Is there any other lens that I should consider in that price range?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks to everyone who gave me lens advice, my Minolta 24mm came in and I'm in love with it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Has anyone tried the Kodak cameras? There's one for 150 bucks that look interesting, I am after a compact camera to steup from a cell phone, max budget is 150. Maybe there are other suggestions? To be honest the zoom range on this is not something I care that much about, I am more concerned with a wider field of view than zooming in.

Today there was a great scene as I drove to work, a gigantic full moon was hanging over the -21C landscape in dawn but my cellphone did not manage to capture it adequately... I have had this problem often and I conclude it's because the human vision is so much wider, the piddly cramped image a camera takes. I had the same issue when I used to have a big expensive DSLR with a 35mm prime lens that also failed at this. It just can't take it all in.

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-AZ421-...7RWWVHAG31F4808

My mate picked up one of these lens kits for his phone and it's doing him really well: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-in-1-Phone-Camera-Lens-kit-Shoot-your-world-differently-Included-Wide-Angle/232510436589

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fermat's last therom of photography

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Most people I run into who own the digital Leica's own them because of the brand name. I understand the want for them when shooting film, and I was searching for a Minolta rangefinder myself for all of the convenience and quirkiness that rangefinders have, but as soon as you slap a massive LCD on the back then what's the point of one over any other mirrorless?

They look cool, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone owning one because they like Leica, as I myself own a lot of Minolta gear because I like Minolta, but you're not getting anything special picture wise in the age of modern digital sensors and lens adaptors.

e: one thing the M10 doesn't have, which a lot of other cameras do, is image stabilisation, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm after a 6x6 medium format primarily for handheld outdoor use. I'm pretty much decided on a TLR and can get a tested working Minolta Autocord for around $300. Does anyone have any counter recommendations for that kind of money? I'm leaning towards the Autocord as I've heard great things about the lens at that price point, but I also don't know a whole lot about the gear that exists other than Rollei are also good, and Yashica exist.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for all the recommendations on medium formats Paul MaudDib and Wild EEPROM. You've made my life a lot more difficult. The Kiev 60 looks great apart from the weight, and the Yashica Mat 124 looks fitting as well. Now I just need to make a decision.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think the issue is you're confusing field of view with depth of field. Choosing a larger number for your f/stop gives you a longer depth of field, I found this more intuitive after switching to old manual lenses, so here's a rundown:

Up the top is my focusing ring, yellow in feet, white in metres, the next set of numbers is related to the aperture I've selected and the bottom ring is my aperture selection. In this photo I'm focused at 5 metres with an f/stop of 5.6.

Reading the middle ring is easy, the numbers on it are correlated to your chosen f/stop. For example, if I switch to f/8 and keep my focus at 5m then everything from 3.5m to 10m should be in focus. Switching to f/16 would give me a range from 2.6m to infinity and going down to f/4 would give me a range from 4.5 to 7m. Utlising a good dof will allow you to do things like only have your subject in focus to draw in attention, while leaving the background and foreground unfocused.

Here's a shallow dof, about f/5.6 at a metre or so iirc, the bird is in focus, while the background softens up:

And here's a deeper dof, f/8, with everything in focus.

There's a little bit more to be aware of, like the closer your focal point the narrower your dof is going to be, you'll notice on that lens up there the gap between 10 to 5m is much smaller than 5 to 3m and so on. Lenses also tend to be sharpest at certain apertures, this changes per lens but most likely somewhere between f/4 and f/8, at least in the limited set I've used.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Picked up my first medium format camera.

Came with the waist level finder and a 90mm lens as well as the 150mm on the body there. Time to put a roll through and see what the frame spacing is like.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

I have one of those, they are comically huge. What is the 90mm lens you have? The usual kit lens is an 80mm f/2.8.

It's the older kit lens, Vega 12B, also f/2.8

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I’ll make a thread detailing this poo poo, so we can celebrate together when I succeed (or laugh together when I inevitably ruin it and wind up with a rusted $100 brick). Maybe it can also serve as a DIY camera repair megathread, but I dunno how many others try this poo poo out.

When I get back to Australia I'll be taking apart a couple of lenses to (hopefully) fix sticky aperture blades so there'll be at least one other post there.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Camera Gear v8 "The worst case of pee lens"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice I ended up buying;

A7iii
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Samyang 14 2.8 AF
Gorillapod 4K

Now just need to grab some memory cards (any advice?) and a cpl filter for the Tamron?

I'm traveling with a Gorillapod right now and its usefulness is very niche. If there isn't a suitably sized tree or rock next to what you want to shoot you won't be getting the shot you want. I'd recommend a more traditional travel tripod.

I've really love my Three Legged Thing Travis tripod, but they also do a travel tripod called Corey which gets down to 34 cm and extends to 1.5 m. They're a local UK company too, which is nice.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Awesome. I’ll bare that in mind.
I just grabbed the gorilla so I can shoot stars from the floor really. It was only £50 with the head.
Hopefully do the job :)

Yea, it'll be perfect for that kind of stuff and easier to use with live view. I struggle with shooting that low with only a viewfinder.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love all my Minolta gear, affordable and fantastic. I lucked out and got an X-570 for $75, don't think there's a better SLR for a beginner.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Stopping into every antique store I come across finally paid off, got a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm f/4 for a song in a small town.

They also has a 80 and 180mm, as well as a Canon F1 and a handful of old rangefinders that I wasn't interested in.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 3, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty Cool Name posted:

What a cool find! I have the little brother of that lens the Flektogon 35/2.4, if yours takes as good pictures as mine does you will be very happy with it.

Looks like it's the black and silver 'zebra' version?

Yep, it's the Zebra version, sure is a handsome beast!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

What's the lens on that Kiev? None of mine have yellow markings so I'm curious.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ah yeah, I got an earlier kit lens with mine, a Vega 90 f/2.8, haven't seen the standard 80 before.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My bargain hunting has paid off again with a near mint auto-bellows and accessory kit with original manuals for almost everything.

Also rad hand written notes. Looks like I'm going to start shooting a lot of macro.

e: I love this thing, it's so goofy

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 12, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have a gorillapod and I hate it. It's too short to be useful by itself, when you've got a framing in mind you're not going to get it unless there a perfectly sized rock just where you need it to be. Most things you'll want to wrap it around (fence railings come to mind) are too thin to be useful and when it is wrapped around something of sufficient girth there's always slop so you'll spend a lot of time fighting that too.

However, if you're aesthetic is only shots from 30cm off the ground go for it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just got an odd useful thing for myself that others might find interesting.

These are eyepiece correctors for my Minolta X570. The box is labelled as a No.6 which is -1 correction but the seller has thrown in 3 different ones. Their labelled 6, an 8 (-3) and one with no markings.

I switched back to glasses from contacts and am a -3 myself so that's a bit of luck on my side to get the exact one I need. I'm a bit of an accessory collector for Minolta stuff so dropping $5 on something I might use was easy, but now I've got the exact one I need they'll definitely get used.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 20, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hated my gorillapod, was mostly useless because I couldn't set up for the photo I wanted 99% of the time. I gave it to a friend and plan to get a carbon fibre travel tripod instead of compromising the shot.

I'm carrying a medium format camera anyway so I'm already prepared for a certain amount of bulk.

In other gear news I got a Mamiya 645 specifically for travel.

Need to replace the auto-winder with a hand crank, get a cable release socket and change the viewfinder for the AE prism with shutter speed readouts, but I got a good price on the setup with 80mm and 45mm lenses.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the original plan was a Fuji GF670 but I wanted something with interchangeable lenses and the film backs are a good bonus. I'll probably end up with one one day still.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello fellow dorkroom posters.

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't see any tilt/shift adapter's you fool, you absolute moron

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Shoot film, as your heart is telling you to

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

is there any cluster of mf lenses which are cheap because they are considered obsolete rather than expensive because they are considered vintage?

Minolta, anything with an M42 mount and K mount lenses are all cheap. Minolta because they're not popular (may change), M42 because no one wants to spend that much time changing a lens and K mount because they're ubiquitous.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nah, get a Fuji GX680 III with a Phase One to save some cash.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

But seriously, pick yourself up a Minolta X570, or a TLR if your interested in medium format and a roll of film. If you hate the process sell it for the price you paid and you'll be out ~$15 for film, dev and scans. If you love it you'll really love it. The viewfinders on most SLRs poo poo all over modern DSLRs in terms of brightness and clarity and if you buy something more modern, like the X570, you'll even get in viewfinder shutter and apeture display along with metering. They're also smaller and lighter, and have a battery life you measure in months so you're winning all around.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Don't know around your area, but if you keep an eye out for a Epson V600 you can find a bargain. For scanning 35 a Pakon F-135 would do better but you'll pay a lot more. I got my V600 for $200 in Aussie dollars.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Buy this dumb thing

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/the-im-back-35-lets-you-add-a-digital-sensor-to-your-old-film-camera/

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Because what I really want is a huge lump in the middle of my SLR ruining my ergonomics and ability to get my face up to the viewfinder

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

Checking his Reddit history... right now he's convinced he has the technical skills to lead a one-man revolution in phone camera design.

He's great at setting reasonable goals.

"The ISO can go up to at least 1 million yet look clean. It'll be useful for video recording on starry nights."

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Not really a gear question but I'm curious about B&W settings in Lightroom. I've got photos touched up from a friend's wedding and want to give them all some B&W copies as well. What's the best practice for this, is it case-by-case or is there some sort of batch process I can run that will work well?

I used SilverEfex for doing black and white conversions of digital and really liked it. You can still get the old version for free and you can batch import, apply the film profile you like, touch up, and then batch export again.
https://nikcollection.dxo.com/nik-collection-2012/

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

art of spoonbending posted:

Yeah I didn't know if the kit lens would do what I want to start with, I'll take those off the list and look for a wider angle for sure, thanks! No reason on that particular tripod, that was what was recommended by the camera shop with the camera ha. They're now recommending another fluid pan & tilt head as part of a bundle. I'll look into ballhead, thanks for the heads up :)

I think the kit lens will be fine. For what you're doing you won't want shallow dof and you'll be on a tripod so speed isn't a concern.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Have you considered adapting an older manual lens? Might be worth a look of you're OK with that workflow

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We got loads of opinions. What's your criteria? What do you want to shoot and how do you want to shoot it? Medium format is a whole different beast with big ranges in weight, portability, shooting style, aspect ratio and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Is it just me or would a medium format monorail bellows kick rear end? Back when I used to have money to gently caress around with I went as far as folded and sealed the bellows and bought a 110mm 8x10 lens with aperture and shutter. I still have the film slides, it wouldn't be hard to finish...

Just buy a Horseman VH my dude. Sounds like a cool project tho.