Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I have a Pentax MX, I feel like I'm on the wrong boat.

But I like my boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Yeah, get a wider prime for video. The wider and closer you can get, the bigger the jumps and hits will look.

Optionally, find a GoPro Hero3 and see how that works for you.

And do not skimp on quality glass, you will be in the cold and poo poo will be bombarded by the elements.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Not at all. Lug em all around and never fear the darkness. And get really fast at changing lenses.

Miko
May 20, 2001

If you want a nicer manual focus ring, get a MF 50 then.

Get a Nikkor MF 50 1.2 and turn your nose at those heathen autofocusers.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Yeah, I don't really like operating with my 2.8 zooms wide open, but they're dreamy with enough light at f4.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Or it's dark as poo poo in this church and here comes the bride, ffffuck 1/15 shutter speeeeeeeeed

Miko
May 20, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So I settled on the 40mm 2.8 for the time being. I want a nice 50, so I am going to wait later to get the 1.2 if nothing better develops with the 1.4 on Sigma/Canon.
My brain added a zero to your 40mm, so I was wondering how on god's earth does someone 'settle' on a the beast that is the 400mm f2.8 :gonk:

Miko
May 20, 2001

The Tamron non-VC is still the best value right now. Unless the 18-35 drops in price dramatically, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Eventually something will push it out of that spot, but it'll be fine at its price point.

Miko fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 13, 2013

Miko
May 20, 2001

1 and a third stops? If the performance wide open is decent or comparable with the Tamron, it would be crazy.

Sigma, you are crazy.

Miko
May 20, 2001

I nabbed a Feisol 3301CF tripod off craiglist for just under $200 and matched it with a $120 Photoclam 33NS head and the setup is dreamy and super light while not breaking the bank. The 3-pc makes it a little bigger when folded up but it's wayyy lighter than the cheap Amvona clunker I was carrying around and much more solid (why is the last leg made of plastic Amvona?)

Miko
May 20, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Anyone have experience with getting a Tamron lens repaired?

After getting dropped on it's head my Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC will no longer zoom any further than about 24mm. Focus and stuff seems to work ok still though.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I see Tamron lists their repair center as being in Toronto. Does anyone know how they handle repairs? Do I just send it in or should I call first? Do they provide an estimate or just bill you or something?

The Canadian site is a little bare bones: http://www.tamron.ca/generic.htm?ECINFO=TAMRON%20REPAIR%20CENTRES
I've sent in a 17-50 to get repaired to this exact place (10min from my house). It cost me about $180 for the repair fee, they really do a good job of fixing it all up (was soft focusing, the rings were getting wobbly and I broke off the internal ring that covers the screws because I'm an idiot). It was slightly less than half the cost of the lens itself, but what can you do?

If you want to decline the repair after you've sent it, there's a flat refusal fee of $30.

Miko
May 20, 2001

I drove over to talk to them about my options, and then drop it off.

They sent me an email to pick it up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Considering the D600 and D610 are virtually identical, save for a (debatable) fixed oily sensor issue, i think you came out ahead.