Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
and all but one of your AF points if you even get AF.

oops thought I'd hit quote oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is the K&F tripod alright or is it junk? One the one hand everyone says it's great but then on the other everyone says don't get a cheap tripod.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KA4TUJW?pf_rd_p=71cb17e9-f468-4d3f-94d5-a0de44c50a7e&pf_rd_r=S78J0JYDJ1NJKFQ46BSS

It's for my 80d and my 100mm/65mm macro lenses.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Does an Godox AD200 give out more light at lower power settings than a speedlight? I currently use a YN600EX-RT II looking for more light from a single flash at around 1/5000 flash speed so running the AD200 at 1/16 power.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

dakana posted:

Yeah, most reviews put the AD200 at 2 stops brighter than Godox's V860II, one of their top-tier hotshoe flashes. I'd assume that'd mean 1/16 on the AD200 would be equal to 1/4 on the V860II. I can test it tonight if you're really curious.

Thanks my plan is to do something similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HhkP187F_s

with the flash angled down in a softbox for live insect macro. I need a lot of light at fast flash speed with macro at small apertures bellows factor and all that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
In other news this exists...

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Witstro_EC200_Extension_Head.html

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Of course the AD200 Pro comes out in 4 weeks.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh God I'm already going down the rabbit hole of looking at more expensive glass.

Opinions on catadioptric lenses for long-range shooting? Are they even still a thing, or is the technology super outdated? They're around for pretty cheap but I'm wondering if there's a good reason for that, advances in telephoto lens technology and whatever.

What do you want to take photos of and how good do you want the quality to be?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

A recreation of Goatse at a more flattering portrait focal length, and impeccably sharp.

That's a pretty wide open aperture..

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lightroom itself does the decoding, do you have the latest version installed? Camera support is added by updates.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lens if you want to take different types of photos, body if you want more speed, features or better low light performance.

I guess think about what you want to get out of the upgrade.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-b-mini-view-camera/

I mean it's a grand UK but I'm not sure if that's cheap or not.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

I'm looking for something <$500.

Edit: Or is that a hilariously low budget?

yeah I dunno either.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I feel physically sick reading that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

kefkafloyd posted:

That guy who got the 600 f/4 should probably watch himself.

Still, that must be like winning the lottery.

That's why I feel sick, I desire that lens...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It may be configured in a wirelss trigger/receiver only mode and not actually as a flash or in ETTL (or equivalent) and not needing to fire

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
one screw in magnetic holder then just swap the filter without needing to unscrew/rescrew, handy if you are doing video and have a variety of lighting environments.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

As long as you have a setup that is capable of doing HSS in the examples you gave.

---

Also flashes are useful on bright, sunny days. Don't be the guy laughing at the dude taking photos with a flash in the summer, it's for good reason.

Yeah don't use HSS when all your light is from flash.

Flash is a fill = HSS.
Flash is all your light = No HSS.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

tater_salad posted:

Do I need to go stupid flash or should I upgrade to TTL? I'm replacing my broken neewer flash that I might just put some tape on.

What's your main subjects?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Looks like the bag thread is super old, so I'll ask here. I'm starting to investigate a wheeled bag to make air travel easier. I've got nice SKB case already, but I'm thinking about a backpack with wheels that could work for getting through airports but then also not be horrible as a day pack for light hiking. Would need to fit a 15" laptop (that I'd typically leave back at the room for the hiking part), binoculars, water bottle, etc. My camera kit would be 1-2 un-gripped dslr and probably 2-4 lenses with the biggest 70-300 or 400/5.6. Probably looking to spend <$300 although if there's something worth it outside that price range I might be willing to go higher. I'm just starting to think about this so I'm not entirely sure of my exact use cases but I think getting some recommendations or warnings at this point would help me narrow down my search.

For cabin or hold?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

KS posted:

I tried an A7 III and 100-400 FE at a demo day recently and it felt like the future. This was shortly after failing hard at a Blue Angels show with my 70D and a mediocre telephoto lens -- I felt limited by ISO, AF, and burst but I probably just suck. I don't have a significant investment in Canon glass, so it may be time to switch to mirrorless if I want to start buying faster lenses.

I know this A7R IV is more camera than I need, but it's only $580 more than the A7 III body thanks to the $200 rebate on the lens combo. That's crazy and the 24mpix crop mode sounds cool.

Should I go with what I used and liked, or are there other systems I should be looking at before I pull the trigger? A long telephoto is going to be a priority for me, and I was thinking of the 24-105 f/4 for travel. Outside of travel, it'll be wildlife and aviation.

How's the AF speed/tracking for wildlife ie birds in flight etc? That seems to be the big complaint for wildlife with mirrorless and telephotos over APS-C DSLR I have no personal experience though so take that with a pinch of salt. Also the really big fast prime (f/4 500mm/600mm) lenses are still only really there at the moment on the Canon/Nikon DSLR platform if you ever wanted to go that route with a hire.

Before you go the mirrorless route, demo/try a Nikon D500 and appropriate lens.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

Boy, if Canon eventually releases a full frame mirrorless body with IBIS I could see myself ditching Sony for them since I've got a fair bit invested in Canon EF lenses. I'd wait a while and buy used though.

The Sigma MC-11 adapter has worked quite well so far, but I bet EF-RF is better.

I wonder how IBIS would play with in lens IS do they complement or are you best to turn one off?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Martytoof posted:

That’s actually my question while I wait for my Sony 24-105 to arrive in the mail. Both the A7iii body and the lens offer stabilization. If I leave both on will they complement each other or will it cause a rift in time and space?

Both you and the camera explode

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Chikimiki posted:

Quoting myself because I'm still hesitating on what to do... I basically need something to do local backups, and upload them to the ~cloud~ for redundancy. Maybe some editing if I can be bothered. Is anyone else used to traveling with camera equipment for a long time, and may have a few tips ready?

Currently considering the following options:
    1. Carry a laptop and an external hard drive to edit & backup photos, upload them etc. Easy and versatile solution, but expensive and implies lugging around at least an extra 2 kg of equipment. I'm also a bit wary of theft.
    2. Use an external HDD with an integrated SD card reader; could be a good compromise, but it doesn't seem easy for uploading pics to the web.
    3. Use my current smartphone as an SD card reader, and upload everything to the net. Cheapest option, but lacks a local backup. Also pretty slow, going from experience.
    4. Buy SD cards on the go and send them back home when full. Easy solution, but doesn't seem to be the most reliable.

Thanks in advance!

My honest opinion is take a phone for social pics, any camera gear you are going to be carrying that's worth the hassle over a good phone camera (recent model iPhone/Pixel etc) you are going to want to edit the photos back at home on a monitor. this is what I did when I went to New Zealand, carried my Pixel phone for social media stuff and my DSLR with telephoto for the "real photography" shots backed up the SD Cards to a HDD and then edited/published once back at home. If I thought a RAW was a "cannot lose at all costs" shot I uploaded to my dropbox via my Phone.

I found the most useful gear was

Camera bag with rain shield.
A good USB powerpack.
Portable mini HDD with SD Reader.
USB host cable for my phone.
USB SD Card Reader.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Deviant posted:

What's currently in style in tripods? The tripod thread in the OP is very out of date. Hoping to spend <$100, but I can go higher if need be.

Depends on your needs really, what will you be doing with the tripod? How important is light weight etc..

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

im getting back into the hobby and i'm shooting on an ancient d40. since literally everything is an upgrade from it i'm a little overwhelmed. I have zero interest in video I literally just want the d40 but with the ability to shoot at night time. is 3xxx going to be fine for this or is it worth a bit extra for a 5xxx or 7xxxx ?

like i'm trying to shoot nighttime cityscapes and urban stuff and the reason I put down the d40 in the first place is how much i have to push the iso. getting a tripod helped but I kind of want something more dark street photography ready.

edit: on keh the 3500 and 5300 are $40 apart, for example.

What lens are you using?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

d40 kit lens and 50 prime. they’re not good lenses but they get the job done!

is the 50 f/1.8?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Drewski posted:

I’m finding myself out of work for the next ~6 weeks. I’m thinking about checking an item off my bucket list and doing a photo and video blog of the American west, and I’m looking for gear that would stabilize an SLR shooting video from a car. Thoughts on how I can do this? I have a canon 6D and a 5D4.

For video from a moving car? A (very) expensive gimbal, the weight of the setup is the main factor and those are not light setups, what lenses are you mounting?

Consider a lighter setup for video on a cheaper gimbal.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The only thing that classes as an investment might be the big tele primes 600 f/4 etc if you buy second hand you generally won't lose anything if you still it on.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

Are there filters I can add to a lens that will soften the bokeh "rings" from a 10-blade aperture enough to make it appear more round?

Also, are there filters that will transfer some of the bokeh ring's intensity to the outer edge of the bokeh ring?

You can put a circular hood on that covers the edges of the lens on you'll get a huge vignette at larger apertures but it makes the bokeh balls look like this.

This is with the hood for my mp-e65 on my Canon 100mm macro, messing around with sunset light filtering through a hedge.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Voice of Labor posted:

I haven't used autofocus or any of the automatic settings on my nikon since maybe a few months after I got it and that was at least 5 years ago. skimming through a video of the neat stuff the advanced ai in my camera is capable of made me realize how much of the engineering budget and clock cycles went into stuff I don't use. Is there such a beast as a purely manual dslr?

Modern DSLRs are designed to be used with AF, they have no split prism/focussing screen like older cameras. If you are using pure manual focus that's fine if it works for you, but focussing guides and assistance have been around for focusing on cameras since way before DSLR, it's actually harder to use manual focus on a modern DSLR camera now than it was back when they had split prism focussing screens.

I use manual focus lenses on my DSLR for macro, but I make sure I have electronic aperture control so I can see my subject and I'm mostly using experience from trial and error for getting bug eyes in focus visually (usually based around how the highlights are looking.)

All the other auto settings are based around exposure, again fully manual is fine if it works for you (are you using auto ISO? You may be less manual than you think...) Again for macro I use manual with fixed ISO but then I use ETTL mostly for flash so again i'm relying on some amount of automatic exposure control.

When I shoot birds, I'm generally using aperture priority + auto ISO + exposure control if the light is bright, or manual + auto ISO if the light is low and I have to be more selective with subjects, but again that's where I'm relying on a perched subject and the image stabilization in my lens to allow me to shoot a shutter speed lower than 1/focal length.

TL;DR you can make your DSLR as dumb as a bag of rocks by switching off all the assistance, but you may be using more of it that you think and older cameras still had gizmos for focus etc and fully manual is fun if you don't HAVE to get results, or your subject/lighting is very controllable (full flash exposure, landscapes, etc.)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Voice of Labor posted:

that dumb thing was the 2nd or 3rd dumb thing mentioned and it seems like a really good idea to me. it surprises me that there aren't a lot more things like this that don't cost thousands of dollars.

Because second hand Canon DLSRs that can fit every EF lens are cheap as hell.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Depending on how you are on charging devices, the Rode Wireless Go gives you a wireless lavalier.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Trambopaline posted:

Well I decided I wanted a medium telephoto since I wanted a nice prime for taking car photos at local car events, nobody has a Canon EF 100mm or 130mm 2.0 for sale around me, so I ordered a 100mm f2.0 Yong Nuo from China. Wish me luck.

I mean I don't have any nice long lenses. I've been geting by with the nasty rear end kit 75-300 4-5.6 USM III and i find most of my photos at around 100-130mm anyway, so I figure even a budget Chinese clone of the EF 100mm 2.0 will be an significant upgrade.

100mm seems an odd focal length for cars what sort of distances are you?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Helen Highwater posted:

Find a used 70-200 f/4L. You won't regret it.

Yeah I was going suggest a zoom with that kind of focal length coverage for events.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah the Elgato is only if you need 4k/60fps

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

I use that canon to webcam tool they came out with a few months ago. I think most of the big DSLR makers have done the same thing since.. the image is dramatically better than everyone's laptop cameras even without going full silly and running at f/1.8.

I have no basis for comparison against a dedicated capture card, but the price can't be beat. Install program, plug in camera, zoom sees it as a webcam.
The res is generally lower than HDMI out and some cameras disable AF, but then some cameras don't do clean HDMI etc, there's just loads of model specific caveats with streaming from ILCs even though it probably should be simpler.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ReverendHammer posted:

One upside to the 4K60 Pro card: you can send the captured video to multiple apps natively. Helpful if you need to do something like send the camera to Zoom and OBS without resorting to software fuckery.

Oh that is useful!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

my turn in the barrel posted:

So the company I work for wants to setup a green screen to record training videos/sales presentations.

They had a consultant who was trying to sell them online video training and gave them a basic gear list he recommended.

I got tapped but I'm clueless about video.

Essentially he said they should get
2 lumix g5s cameras one for closeups/one for wider shots
Green screen
3 softboxes for key, fill, rim lighting
2 led floods to light greenscreen
Fast Desktop with HDMI capture cards to connect hdmi out feeds from cameras
El Gato stream deck, switch between cam 1, cam2 and PowerPoint/intro graphics/logos etc..
Vmix software
Wireless Lavalier mics

Seems like it would be a pretty decent setup. I just don't know much about DSLRs aside from Canon. I know canon is pretty lovely for video but wanted to ask if the G5S is a good choice for tethered streaming video out via HDMI.

Anything else anyone can suggest?

I also recommended a shotgun and a podium mounted mic but corp already has some sennheiser lavalier mics so they want to stick with those at present.

Are they streaming live or recording, or both?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Seems like a pretty standard if older setup, Panasonic mirrorless generally have good clean HDMI out the G5 is a pretty old camera though, probably be fine but seems odd as a recommendation in 2020.

You also need to consider what focal length lenses in terms of how wide an angle you want with MFT.

If you want to mix the mics as well then you need to consider a mixer / multiple audio inputs depending on which mics you go with.

Cameras that do clean HDMI and if so with any caveats are listed here, but you should always look for real reviews, reliable clean HDMI out video from mirrorless/DSLR cameras is not always a given.

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link/camera-check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The 80D is no 7Dmk2 or R6/5

But you can use it for moving subjects.

On the wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr
Canada Goose Takeoff by Aves Lux, on Flickr