Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dudebro posted:

Why get something like a Yongnuo instead of a Nikon or Canon flash?

It can meet most peoples needs at a quarter of the cost with no compromise in the final image.

e: I had a SB-900 for a while but I realized I was using it in manual almost 100% of the time which was a waste of all the features I wasn't using but still paid for plus the brand premium. I sold it a year ago and got a YN560II. Much happier now.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dudebro posted:

So the advantages of a first party flash only really come out if you use usually your camera in auto mode?

More or less. Do you want to be in control of flash output power or do you want the camera to do that for you? Even some of the cheaper 3rd party flashes still have automatic features at a fraction of the cost of first party.

At the same power output and aim, you're not going to see the difference between a good 3rd and 1st party flash. There's no loss of quality in flash color or light uniformity or the number of flashes per charge.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 7, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dad needs/wants a new camera. He's used to shoot an old Pentax K/M (I forget) so he knows what hes doing but hes just getting old and has moved onto cheap lovely digitals. Anyway, I wanted to get him a bridge camera in the next few months. I've been eyeing the FinePix S1 and thats about the extent of the budget too ($500). Anything else I should consider? Hi res EVF is a must. I'm willing to go shorter on the zoom for bigger sensor.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Re: bridge camera

Thanks for the input guys. However, I think you're all over/under thinking it. My dad has been through it all with a film SLR in the 70s-90s. He's just old now. He doesn't want to spend a ton of cash on a system he's going to have to carry around, swapping lenses and sooner rather than later giving it up due to old age(his).

He mostly travels with mom and takes snapshots on his iphone because there's very little benefit for him to whip out his old mid range AA powered P&S.

I'd totally gift him my dusty D700 and a stack of primes but it's just not for him.

So having said that, what's the best bridge camera or super zoom P&S I can get for $500 that's going to be more useful than a iphone 5s camera some of the time for a old man that's just taking snapshots but knows how to handle a camera. I've been doing some more digging within fujis lineup and I still can't beat the soon to be released s1(zoom, size, features). The X-S1 looks interesting now that you can get it cheap but it's lower res LCD, limited zoom and just bigger size might be too much. I'm going to check it out in store today.

I just haven't gotten around to comparing to sony/Nikon/canon/etc yet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

powderific posted:

Just look at guides on DPreview if that's what you want. I doubt anyone here has all that much time cross comparing bridge cameras.

Will do.

Just figured everyone's got aging parents/grand parents that would be best suited with a P&S or bridge.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The s120 looks interesting. I already have a s90 and will probably hold onto it forever since it can shoot 720p24.

I'll just have to see if dad can live with ~100mm tele.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ sup bro ^^^

Haggins posted:

Personally, I don't know if I'd want to bother with small sensor point and shoots anymore since camera phones are pretty decent. If I'm going to bother carrying around another device, I'd like better files.

Totally agree except you can't really go tele with a phone. Plus exposure control.

Btw, how does iphone 5s HDR mode stack up to the best P&S built in DR expansion (not offline raw converted/adjusted DR).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 17, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ante posted:

iPhone zoom lens mount

Aw hell no.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Re: Bridge camera

Really had my hopes up for the Fuji S1 which just got announced.

Weather sealed
24-1200mm equiv
Fast aperture in its class
980K LCD and 980K(?) EVF
Fully articulated LCD

Samples came out today and they look like poo poo. :(

I ended up buying a used Fuji X-S1 (X10 sensor in a bridge camera with EVF) for a whopping $250 shipped from Amazon merchants.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's just kind of mind boggling that the top end X-S1 is so low right now. I remember back in 2008 the bridge camera concept was at a low point and people were paying boku bucks for older discontinued 2/3" bridge cams.

I remember I was pretty happy when I found a used Minolta A2 but I never really used it because it was just so slow and the EVF/LCD sucked.

"LCD monitor • 1.8" TFT LCD, 113,000 pixels"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wifi SD cards. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba over Eyefi and Transcend.

The Toshiba seems to just be a webserver with thumbnail sized previews of every file on the card and allows 7 connections from anything with a browser. Seems like photos don't auto sync to your device when taken, you have to manually pick the ones you want which seems like the most logical workflow. Plus you get the thumbnail previews so you can quickly scroll through the entire card to pick the ones you want. Given the limited space on my phones 16/32G, I'd rather not autosync full size photos.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
loving all cameras with WiFi should just work like this. No lovely apps. Just act like a hotspot with a webserver showing pictures/movies on the card. Menu page for setting the password and SSID name is all you'd need to configure. Even better if the webpage offered multiple download options for downscaling the image from the native size on the card in case you didn't want the full 36MP image for FB.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

How does that compare to the previous Sigma 50/1.4 HSM? I haven't read much about the new one but at first glance it looks longer physically :/

edit: wow its way longer 68 mm (2.69″) vs 100 mm (3.94″). I might get it just to have a new toy to play with the D700 thats been collecting dust for years.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 1, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sigma reps have said they are gunning for Otus quality so either its real good or they're just totally full of poo poo.

Just looked up the Otus. WTF is this supposed to mean?

"With the highest contrast performance over the entire image field, even at an aperture of f/1.4, this lens offers the spectacular medium format look when working with a modern SLR camera."

From the Zeiss product page. Do MF lenses naturally have more contrast? That sounds really dubious. Plus its not like contrast is all that big of a deal in the digital age of contrast and local contrast sliders to the rescue.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm, I guess technology marches forward.

I'm still nostalgic about using older 'softer' and more abberations lenses on FF so I guess I should just stick with the older Sigma HSM EX.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I might sell this:

(The lens on the left) Don't you love how small it is compared to a AF 50/1.4?

Its a Minolta MD 50/1.2...BUT...Its been professionally mount converted (not adapted, infinity works of course) to Sony Alpha and chipped so it registers as 50mm for in body IS , works with focus confirm and reports the wide open aperture correctly. It just doesn't support AF (obviously) and doesn't support auto exposure unless shooting wide open as there is no working aperture linkage but you can still shoot at smaller f-stops by using manual exposure or with auto metering and exposure compensation but thats kind of a PIA.

So does anyone think theres any market for it given the current A-mount landscape? I built this back in 2008 when there were zero FF A mount cameras except for Minolta film bodies. I've been sitting on it for 6 years now not using it since I switched systems to Nikon.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 1, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Digital Jesus posted:

Any recommendations on where to buy a UHS-II card? I see B&H have them lists but unsure if they're the best option. Need international postage too :australia:

Woah, when did UHS-II become a real thing?

Edit: Oh I guess its not that big of a deal.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Digital Jesus posted:

I dunno, 250 MB/s write seems nice.

But 250Mb/s doesn't seem to be the UHS-II spec. 250 is like way off the chart. Thats like SSD territory. Link?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Guh I hate all this consumer jargon with SD:

UHS-II
U3
X-men fist Class 11

loving aye how is that -not- going to confuse the poo poo out of my mother. Especially when you put all of that on a card plus the Mb/s ratings too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So if 'they' (Sandisk) can make a SD sized card that can do 280MB/250MB/RW, does that mean the extra real estate of CF is pretty worthless now? Is CF still a few steps ahead of SD? Gap closing?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone here get one of those new Vivitar 85/1.8s? Can't seem to find any good data on them. I guess its pretty new.

Edit: I can't tell if its related or not to this chinese 85/2

http://translate.google.com/transla...0,start,15.html

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 9, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1st AD posted:

Aren't the Vivitar primes just rebranded Rokinon ones?

The Vititar used to rebadge the Samyang 85/1.4s but this lens is not a Samyang design and AFAIK no one else is rebadging it (Bower, Rokinon, Opteka, etc) so its exclusive to Vivitar at the moment.

Its also tiny and goes for about $125 shipped online.

People have said the user manual says there might be heavy vignetting on FF but real world reports otherwise although data is extremely limited.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Digging some more it looks like the maker might be Mitakon (who also make a 35/0.95 APS-C format lens) and they have their own branded lenses which look nicer(physically, compared to the Vivitar) and very Leica like. Although the Mitakon is a 85/2 and not 1.8 although that's splitting hairs and I wouldn't put it past Vivitar to fudge the aperture value.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 10, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So would there be any market for a medium format(or even LF) speed booster type adapters to mount onto FF cameras? Seems like a good way to put MF glass to use that would otherwise be wasted due to cost of digital MF and/or having to scan film.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hahaha, lets stick some 8x10 lenses on the Q.

Seriously though, practicality aside, I'd use a MF > FF adapter just for the fun of it. I think that a lot of people, myself included, don't always want some practical reason to use these lenses. We just want images that look different. A camera that feels different.

And yeah, I'd be more into 6x7 than 645.

Actually, dumb question. Does 6x6 have a bigger image circle than 645? I want to say yes and 6x6 lenses might be better suited to boosting given the bigger image circle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ Tanks ^^^

I would think that interchangeable 6x6 lenses should be more ubiquitous than 6x7 right? Any foray into MF > FF speed boosting would probably target 6x6 first for this reason.

So...

6x6 = 42.4mm radius
135 = 21.6mm radius

Thats pretty much a 2x crop factor with a speed booster so 2 stops? A standard 80/2.8 6x6 lens would become a 40/1.4. A 100/2 would become a 50/1. I mean, I'd buy that to gently caress around with.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here's what I was thinking:

Assuming that 6x6 lenses are radially uniform, you're not going to be capturing any bad parts of the image circle. Sure they're parts you'd never see on 6x6 film or through the GG matting but its still within the valid circle.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a 6006 and 6003. I really should sell the 6006.

Also, this is mad baller:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: Actually I see what you're saying and I think that would work Shaocaholica

If you look at the diagram, I'm not sure if 6x7 would really get you much more over a 6x6.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just bought this cheap 85/2 for $150. The Vivitar is marginally cheaper but the body on it looked like rear end compared to this.

Will be using on my A7 arrrrrrr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a few of the new Sony FF E mount lenses that I want to sell. Currently they(Sony) are running a $200 discount on them when you buy new with camera which has driven private sale prices down accordingly. Should I hold off on selling mine until after the discount period is over or has history proven that these prices never really recover?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have 2 serviced Electro 35s. One black, one silver. However, this has got to be one of my fav fixed lens RFs:

Vivitar 35ES which according to the internet is the same as the Minolta 7sII.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't been following photo news for about 18mo now. Are we at the point yet where ILCs can upload to the cloud? No more manual transfer of files. Everything sorted by camera and date (and GPS when available). Either automatically uploaded to local computer or internet cloud?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dren posted:

Some of the Fuji bodies have PC Auto Save where the camera will upload images to your PC when it's connected to your wireless. I know the X-T1 and X100T do it. Not sure if any of the older ones have it. Also not sure how well it works. Reviews on the internet were mixed.

Uploading straight to the cloud has been available in eye-fi cards for years if you want to go that route. However, I think you'll run into the same problems with both eye-fi and in-body wifi transfer to PC. Namely, it'll be slow and drain your batteries really fast. You'd get your photos much faster plugging the SD card into your machine.

Where in camera wifi shines is for downloading photos to your phone/tablet so that they can be viewed on a larger screen or shared on social media. (the exact same thing can be accomplished with an eye-fi card).

Thanks.

I'm more just trying to skip a step in this chain:

1)take pictures
2)offload cards into organized dirs that could be done by a robot
3)Main library of photos located on centralized network storage
4)Network storage backed up to cloud

I kinda want to skip from 2-4 without any manual work on my part. I guess I can sort of use my NAS. It does have some feature of offloading cameras if they are connected via USB. Not sure how configurable that is and it would be blind since the NAS has no display to show me whats going on and progress without loading a web UI.

Basically I think technology could do better in 2015 than physically taking a card out of my camera(s), plugging them into a computer and either manually archiving photos or doing it through some import dialog. iCloud photos and iDevice photo taking is pretty much the experience I would like with a ILC camera. Of course I wouldn't mind more advanced features added to that over time.

Also, Wifi N and AC are pretty much faster than USB2 in good conditions. I would gladly copy photos over those than have to take cards out provided the camera is on mains power. Are cameras even shipping with USB3 or better?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 29, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a laptop+SLR backpack for travel. Essential items:

15.6" laptop (MBP)
full or mini sized tablet
D800/5D with 24-70 equivalent attached

Must fit under the seat on a plane.

I'm used to backpacks with a separate top compartment I can put the camera with attached lens into for quick access so that's a plus. Currently I'm using a generic Vivitar bag thats has a laptop compartment that too tight and probably not rated for 15 MBP and doesn't have space for a tablet. I use to have a case logic top loader that was OK but fell apart over lots of trips.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So for older AF 400/5.6 primes, I've only been able to find a few variants.

Canon (I don't have a Canon system)
Sigma non-APO
Sigma APO
Sigma APO (Older HSM type, Nikon/Minolta didn't have a motor tho)
Sigma APO (Newer HSM type, Nikon/Minolta didn't have a motor tho)
Tokina SD (older red ring style, never carried over to their gold ring)

Am I missing anything?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I need tripod legs for running some backyard testing.

Less than $400 on the used market so that should open up a lot of options. Prefer metal legs. Sturdier the better. I'm going to put super long lenses on it so I need it to be as rigid as possible and resist vibrations. Weight not really an issue so it can be on the heavy side. If it has a lot of points to hang sandbags even better. Don't need much height, will probably run most setups at chest level or lower.

e: actually I think I might get an astro tripod

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353469-REG/ioptron_7121acc_zeq25_cem25_1_5_tripod_with.html

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 3, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does that have adapters for cheap GX680 lenses? And/or hack up a GX680 body into a modern digital technical.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

theHUNGERian posted:

I'm looking for something <$500.

Edit: Or is that a hilariously low budget?

Old retired guys who run technical cameras usually don't have a restriction like that. That's the market you're dealing with unless you want to go into DIY.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/make-a-mirrorless-camera-into-a-digital-view-camera/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I keep forgetting, is this the thread to post SA-mart links for my camera gear buyers remorse?