Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Anybody ever wonder what kind of detail you can get with a 200mp Hasselblad?

http://hasselbladusa.com/promotions/barry-makariou---bo-image.aspx
http://hasselbladusa.com/promotions/jonathan-beer---necklace-image.aspx (this one is even better)

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

jackpot posted:

Someone gave me a monolight a while back, but I don't have a lightstand for it. What's a decent $50ish lightstand I can get for this thing?

http://www.amazon.com/SP-Studio-Excalibur-Strobe-Compact/dp/B000GTNC0K

Check out Impact stands.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253069-REG/Impact_LS_96HAB_Air_Cushioned_Heavy_Duty_Light.html

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Since we're talking about hoods anyway, I have a stupid question.

Some hoods - I've noticed it mostly on Pentax lenses, but presumably they're not unique - are petal-shaped, rather than round or rectangular. Given the point of a hood is to block bright light sources just out of frame, wouldn't it make more sense to have the corners covered, rather than uncovered? I know they set them up like that to avoid vignetting, but avoiding flare and vignetting are mutually exclusive goals in some circumstances (or so I think, like I said, stupid question).

Well, there's optical vignetting that comes from the lens elements and then there's mechanical vignetting that comes from something blocking light from hitting the lens entirely. Lens hoods have to be designed in such a way so as to not cause mechanical vignetting. They're not the cause of optical vignetting.

Optical vignetting is the stuff you try and fix in post. You get mechanical vignetting and you're poo poo out of luck.

William T. Hornaday posted:

Petal-shaped hoods look cooler.

Also, this.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 6, 2012

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

That 70s Shirt posted:

Anyone have any advice on how to clean LEE resin filters?

Not sure, but it might be worth dropping LEE a message. You don't want to scratch those bad boys.

Edit: Actually, it sounds like you've already looked into that!

http://leefilters.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/23024-how-do-i-clean-my-resin-filters-

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

khysanth posted:

My wife currently shoots on a 50D and uses the 17-50 Tamron as well as the nifty 50 usually. She wants to get a second body and turn the 50D into a backup, and is considering going full frame. Would those two workhorse lenses be usable on say a 5dmkii? If not, how do you know which lenses will work?

17-50, no.
50mm, yes.

On a full frame body, Canon lenses that are designed "EF" (as opposed to EF-S) will work on full frame. Tamron has a similar designation for full frame vs. crop lenses, but I don't recall what it is.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

The Tamron code is "Di". For dual format you see. For crop sensor lenses they're called "Di II", which stands for Crop Sensor Only. There's also "Di III" which stands for "Mirrorless Cameras"

It's very clear, really.

Clear as mud!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Cross-posting from the Lighting Thread:

PCB is definitely still a good option, IMO. There are other brands that are even cheaper, but perhaps of slighty lower quality.

You can also checkout Flashpoint monolights on Adorama. Those seem to be popular budget strobes.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Flash/Lighting&cat2=Monolights&cat3=Monolights&feature1=Flashpoint

Calumet also makes some monolights that I see get recommended frequently.

As for modifiers, there a lot of third party brands now. Do a search on Amazaon for modifiers with your mount. They are considerably cheaper than brand name modifiers. As always, you get what you pay for. Some say the third party stuff isn't as of good quality. I have a 60" Octabox that I got on Amazon for $100 and it works great.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

They both serve their purpose. What I like about hard edge 4x6 filters is that you can use them as solid ND filters, too.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Im That One Guy posted:

What's the general opinion here regarding Rokinon/Samyang lenses?

Good optics for the price. Downside being fully manual -- focus and aperture.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

longview posted:

I remember hearing most sites with really cheap camera deals have some kind of scam, things like battery and charger are separate, or they make you buy a shady warranty or something.

It might be alright but I'd prefer a dealer I knew for this kind of expensive might-break type of thing.

What some places will do is call you after you place an order and try to upsell you a bunch of crap like memory cards, cases, etc. If you refuse and just say you want the camera, your order magically can't be filled because they're out of stock and they cancel it.

I have no idea if that's what this place does though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

I swear I remember a website that makes batteries for cameras except their whole deal is they make them that store twice the power. Whenever I Google anything I can think of I just get results for "making my batteries" last longer or "buy name brand AAs", not "here is a site that sells camera specific third-party batteries with twice the juice, bro!"

Am I crazy or does such a place exist?

This? http://sterlingtek.com/

I usually buy their stuff on Amazon, but that's the company.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I love this one. It's so strange because it actually looks like a screenshot of Half Life 3 more than a real photo. Mesmerizing.

Yeah, I didn't think that was a photo at first.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

alkanphel posted:

It doesn't really change the DOF, only the light-capturing ability.

It does both.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

SterlingTek makes the best 3rd party batteries. They sell all over--Amazon, ebay, direct.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I would recommend a minimum of 3 stops. B+W makes good ones. There are other quality brands, too, but that's my recommendation.

3 stops, combined with f/11 or f/16 will allow you to get slow enough shutter speeds for that silky water effect it sounds like you're going for.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

GoldenNugget posted:

Would I need more if I decided I also wanted to erase people from really busy places?

Thanks!

Yes.

So an exposure in broad daylight is ISO 100, f/16, 1/100 seconds.

Adding a 3 stop ND filter to that, you can get 1/10 shutter speeds. That should get you some motion blur on a waterfall. If you're shooting later in the day (and not at high noon on a sunny day), you will be able to get even longer shutter speeds. But probably not slow enough to "erase people."

You probably want a 10 stop ND filter for something like that. You can get shutter speeds in the minutes with something like that under the right conditions. Really cool for shooting landscapes with silky clouds.

GoldenNugget posted:

I do know there are also GND circular filters.

Don't get a GND circular filter. You can't move the filter to decide where you want the break to be. If you're getting a GBD setup, you want a holder and rectangular filters. What's cool about the rectangular filters is that they can double as a ND filter.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

I dont know how reliable https://www.canonrumors.com is, but that rumored Canon 11-24mm L lens for FF sounds very interesting!

CR1 basically means the rumor is unreliable.