Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I want one, but it doesn't seem like a very useful length for my crop body. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dudebro posted:

I need a circular polarizing filter for my Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. Do I need to get a slim version? I bought the lens used and the seller included a Tama Ultra-Slim 77mm UV filter. Which brand or specific one should I get?
I have a B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer. If I remember correctly it doesn't vignette even at 10mm on my 10-22, but I can try tonight.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reminder that Amazon will start collecting sales tax in 10 days for residents in California. If you're on the fence about a big-ticket lens or body, now's the time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was gonna say... 77mm is probably the best place to invest in filters.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Almost every refurb Canon lens is in stock, including the extender 2X III:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751?WT.mc_id=C126149

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'll cross-post this question from the Canon since it's not necessarily brand-dependent:

As I look to replace my crop lenses (EF-S 10-22 in particular) can anyone give me some advice on the 16-35 f2.8L II vs. the 17-40 f4.0L? The 17-40 is half the price and seems like a killer deal for L-glass. The 10-22 was f/3.5-4.5 so I'm not used to fast, wide glass anyway. I'm trying to envision a situation where I would want that extra stop of light for shots that wide and I'm coming up blank.

I should add that the 17-40's 77mm filter size is appealing to me since I've already invested in nice B+W filters at that size for my other lenses. The 16-35's 82mm filter size isn't a deal-breaker, but it's an annoyance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cross-post from the landscapes thread:

Is it more helpful to have a hard or soft edge for graduated ND filters? Looking at snagging my first set to experiment with, thanks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Soft edge (probably), it will depend on what you shoot. Hard edge grads are great for stuff where there is a clear sky transition, like shooting out over water. Soft edege stuff is for when things might be sticking up into the sky, such as buildings and trees. This is just a general rule so your mileage may vary.

evil_bunnY posted:

Soft, but unless you use square filters you'll probably be better off bracketing.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

They both serve their purpose. What I like about hard edge 4x6 filters is that you can use them as solid ND filters, too.
Thanks for the feedback. I caved and bought both the hard and soft edge sets from Lee. I also snagged a Big Stopper to play around with.

Thanks again!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Danoss posted:

May I ask where you bought these from? I haven't been able to find all of these in-stock, especially the Big Stopper.
B&H had it last week, along with both graduated ND sets. The Foundation Kit and wide angle mount I ordered off of eBay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

thankyou, but; lol I am a dumb who tries new kit while half-
PLUS!! I never knew until today there was a little hidey-slot for your battery door on the side of the grip to stop you from losing it :o:
No one ever reads the instruction manual these days, especially for something presumably so simple as a grip.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Mine didn't come with one :colbert:
Really? I'm fairly certain both my BG-E7 and BG-E11 came with a little pamphlet showing how to attach it. If you're buying knockoff grips then that's a different story.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't do this poo poo. Future-quoting or whatever is annoying. Just quote and make a reply.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The EF-S 17-55 is one of the most susceptible to zoom creep of all the lenses Canon makes. I can't say I'd had any issues with my other Canon lenses, and even when I had the 17-55 it never bugged me too much.

What sort of mod did you have in mind?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's your budget like?

edit: This post made me splurge for LEE Filters when I decided to get into ND filters:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/peterh111/journal/4421304-the-ultimate-guide-to-neutral-density-filters

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nice looking cat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Most zooms have a lock switch that keeps it at a single focal length :v:
I don't think "most" is a fair qualifier. Of all of the zooms I've owned (several L and non-L lenses from Canon) the only one that has a zoom lock on it is my 24-70 f/2.8L II.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

To save money, buy a single large filter (72mm or 77mm) and just adapt it for smaller filter threads.
Just buy a 105mm and adapt it. :getin:

Beergod, buy Marumi or B+W for circular polarizers. I'm listing my 77mm B+W on SA-Mart today if you're interested.

edit: posted in SA-Mart

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 21, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is anyone here sporting Sigma's new 35mm 1.4? I keep seeing rave review after rave review get posted.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

:negative: Just bought my first real L lens.
There's no hope for you anymore.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

I'd like to see where you are in 2 years, gear wise. That was also mine (and a lot/most) first L lens.
It's fun/embarrassing to watch my progression in the Canon thread. I started posting in there in 2010 when I unloaded my 20D in hopes of a 60D; instead ended up getting a 7D. Then I got some L-glass. Then I got the 5D Mark III.

I'm afraid to see where I go next. shut up woot fatigue! don't you dare say TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

Is there any consensus on zoom macro lenses? I'm shooting videos in a very small kitchen and I would like the ability to change focal lengths on the fly while still retaining a larger reproduction ratio and short minimum focus distance.

Should I just get a good zoom and swap out for my prime macros as needed or is there a magical inbetweener lens that I should be looking at?
You might be a rare candidate for the new Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM. The IS will suit you well for video purposes, and as a macro lens it's surprisingly good. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you can smoothly move through the focal lengths if you start in the macro range. There's a lock switch that can keep you there, but I'm not sure if it automatically engages any time you shoot macro and needs releasing whenever you want to leave it.

Maybe you can rent one first?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoldenNugget posted:

Question about how many filters are too many.

I'm interested in getting a 77mm conkin grad filter holder, either p or z series. I currently have a 67mm thread on my 17-50mm tamron and have a step up ring to 77mm. On top of that I sometimes use a 77mm Hoya 9 stop ND filter and a 77mm marumi circular polarizer. There is not vignetting yet but would there be if I add a square filter holder on top of all that?
stacks on stacks on stacks

Yes you will most likely get vignetting with the setup you are proposing, especially if you ever use a lens wider than 17mm. In my experience you want the square filters as close so the lens as possible. My setup is often 1-2 LEE filters (Big Stopper 10x ND and then a graduated ND if needed) and finally a 105mm circular polarizer.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 11, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Should I be worried about where I buy Eneloops from? I know there's always concern for counterfeit memory cards, so I assume other camera accessories can be suspect as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That I'm sure introduces some awesome color casting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There are multiple reviews for that filter stating "introduces a strong green color cast."

I'm good with my Big Stopper. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

+1

Virtually every other photography internet place is so serious business we almost need the dorkroom to be the opposite
No one cares what you think, idiot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah just kidding buddy. You're a good photographer, an even better poster, and drat if you aren't handsome.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Of course we have sigs on SA!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It appears that I'm in need of a new one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

SoundMonkey easily claims the snype.

Star Trek Intercourse Parakeet you are a very rude man and should feel bad about you are saelf.
that's "Star Treks" if we we're gonna stick with the incorrect pluralization :eng101:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please don't make jokes about my pristine rap sheet

:parrot:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Besides, everyone was already declaring all of those Internet purchases every year when they filed their taxes, right? :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

but the tamron 17-50 is no sacrifice in quality.
Unless you want IS, in which case the 17-50 VC is inferior to the 17-55.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm looking for a nice leather hand strap for my 7D. Has anyone used the Handy Dandy Hand Strap by Photojojo?

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camera-hand-strap/
I quite liked the Camdapter ProStrap that I had on my 7D.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Rodeo clowns still use MicroDrive though, it's an Old West thing.
I have a few on my desk at work. Almost nothing supports them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Tokina 11-16 is a popular option in that range.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So what do you guys recommend as far as backpacks go?
Reading and posting in the thread dedicated to bag-chat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mentioned this in the Canon thread, but it's worth mentioning here: Canon's great refurbished lens selection just got bumped from a 90 day warranty to a full year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It doesn't sound like you care about AF, so you should really consider getting in on the EOS M fire sale that's going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

should we buy a cheap for-school printer and use third party printing services?
Generally this is the correct answer.